Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Back in the prehistoric days of 2010, it was easier. Now everyone and their mother knows to shoot when a foul is incoming. It's tough to do nowadays. You're only safe if a player has their back to the basket and they're in two-point range.
    Good point. Spurs should just keep doing what they're doing and let the other team tie it up.
    Worked for the Rockets to perfection.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D'Antoni outcoaching Pop, per par.

The basketball gods don't like sniffers either apparently

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nah. We just don't like coaches that refuse to foul with a 3P lead and seconds left on the game clock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. We just don't like coaches that refuse to foul with a 3P lead and seconds left on the game clock.
    I still contend teams don't do that much anymore. White standing at halfcourt with three seconds remaining helped Houston's decision.

But, yeah, happened tonight. Funny timing, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll bail you out, Tim. Fouling when up 3 would only work against a senile like Pop since he didn't even know you could do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still contend teams don't do that much anymore. White standing at halfcourt with three seconds remaining helped Houston's decision.

But, yeah, happened tonight. Funny timing, tbh

If you had a "hat's off" emoji, I'd tip it for you being a big enough man to have a sense of humor about it.

If there was a team that I wouldn't foul I that situation, it would be Houston with all their mad bombers. If there was a team that I would definitely foul in that situation, it would be this no-3P-shooting Spurs team.

The Rockets had very little risk that any Spurs player would turn it into a 4 point play. That's just the sad truth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats an ok mentality if you actually can defend

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But we like coaches who foul Shaq after 5 seconds in the first quarter though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Flopovich lost us that series with his hack-a-Jordan bull
    That's exactly why Spurs were bounced that year. Smdh and still putting up with his stupid coaching

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those uncomfortable laughs by the minions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a joke. He said "basketball gods"... I said "we"... because... nevermind.

That hack-a-Shaq in the first seconds of the season was funny as . Of course I think it pissed Shaq off and he had something like 18 points and 13 boards, and the Suns waxed our asses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aw come on... that was funnier than . Even Shaq thought so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aw come on... that was funnier than . Even Shaq thought so.
    it was hilarious, but Pop is still a senile idiot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did you guys think of Jim Carrey allowing Nephew to get off the would-be tying 3 pointer last night vs Dallas?

Caught ball with 8 seconds, shot with 7.

Missed it by a mile but do you want him getting an attempt at the 3 bounce miracle like the Raptors Champ season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did you guys think of Jim Carrey allowing Nephew to get off the would-be tying 3 pointer last night vs Dallas?

Caught ball with 8 seconds, shot with 7.

Missed it by a mile but do you want him getting an attempt at the 3 bounce miracle like the Raptors Champ season?
    Why would you question a strategy that clearly worked, and not question Mute Cancer shooting TO TIE with SEVEN ING SECONDS LEFT? Even if it backfired, and the ball goes in, you’ve still left Doncic seven seconds to carve up your defense, only needing a single point to win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would you question a strategy that clearly worked,
    Of the teams that chose to foul:
    Teams that deliberately fouled won 17 of the 19 games in regulation and lost once. Teams won all 14 of the games in which they purposefully fouled with five seconds or less to play. One game went to overtime, and the team that fouled when leading in regulation won.

2010 article. Dk if any group has updated the stats. Most of the "let's defend instead" teams won too.

Most recent example i can remember (not saying it's the NBAs most recent outside of Poppy and the Spurs): Earlier this year Rick Carlisle said his team made a mistake in not fouling when up 3 as the Lakers inbounded with 6 seconds left.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/sports/basketball/22fouls.html
    This is the more successful route statistically. But either way can win, it's not a huge gap.

and not question Mute Cancer shooting TO TIE with SEVEN ING SECONDS LEFT? Even if it backfired, and the ball goes in, you’ve still left Doncic seven seconds to carve up your defense, only needing a single point to win.
    I wonder if Nephew thought he was going to get fouled and then shot when he did not.
    He may and most likely did shoot before Dallas had a chance to foul him when not in the act of shooting thus would be only 2 FTs.

Would have been more like 5 seconds by the time Dallas called timeout, but ya Doncic would have gotten a shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi running into the corner on the inbound play is where the problem started for LAC

If it was by design- ty lue drew up one of the dumbest plays. Time on the clock and throw the ball into the corner where hardaway has an easy contest, or if Kawhi holds on to the ball he’s trapped in the corner.

Maybe they tried to catch the mavs sleeping knowing a foul would come. I wasn’t there so I don’t know. But Dallas never really had a reason to foul when Kawhi is smothered in the corner and immediately heaves.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi actually hesitated on taking the three and then panicked IIRC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Yes.
    All indications are Kawhi thought Dallas was going to foul being +3.
    The home run would have been get fouled while in the act of shooting and make shot. But defender was clearly giving Kawhi room and showing zero indication of fouling.
    So his choices became:

1. Get fouled not in the act of shooting and it's only 2 FTs. Bad strategy.
    2. Dribble to get a better shot off / maybe get fouled in the act.
    3. Shoot there and then without dribbling and hope for the tie.

His shot was terrible but looks like he brain farted when Dallas did not foul.

Majority of ST will shed no tears / rejoice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Side point Jason Richardson got away with an over aggressive shove of Jackson under the hoop for rebound position.
    I'm fine with the no call but Richardson way overdid it. Could have been rung up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I used to agree with this approach, but now with so many teams having multiple guys hitting threes at a 50% clip you're really just asking to get sent into overtime.

The other problem with the "don't foul" approach is that players back off a bit, defensively, probably giving the opponent and even better chance of knocking down a three.

But saying "we don't do that", rather than saying "we might do that depending on the situation" basically reflects what some folks criticize Pop for...locking into a game plan and not adjusting enough to what's going on. I love Pop, but I do think, at times, he's too stubborn with the script in a game or a series, and doesn't counterpunch the opposing coach's moves properly or timely enough. But then, when he does start playing mad scientist, he takes things too far the other way and things become a mess.

Tough to be an NBA coach, I think. Pop's done it better than almost everyone though.

Armchair quarterbacks are always way better at doing the jobs of the people they sit around and criticize.
    Last edited by Ed Helicopter Jones; 06-04-2021 at 11:23 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Budovich elected to not foul Durbetta after the inbounds with 2 seconds left in Game 3.

Thankfully the all time top 5 snake
    a. missed the shot
    b. did not get gifted free throws.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This loss is 1000%on Popovich. Period. He takes Duncan out for the two most important defensive possessions of the season. And all we need is ONE rebound on either possession. And because Duncan was not in the game - again, Pop's decision - we gave up an offensive rebound and a second three-point shot on EACH possession. It's on Pop. He didn't let the players decide. And even worse, in what would have been the most memorable game of Tim's career, he didn't let Tim on the court for the most important possessions. If I were Tim, I'd strangle the guy in his sleep tonight.
    Jeezus. Walk it off. It was the better part of a decade ago, and the team redeemed themselves the next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I used to agree with this approach, but now with so many teams having multiple guys hitting threes at a 50% clip you're really just asking to get sent into overtime.

The other problem with the "don't foul" approach is that players back off a bit, defensively, probably giving the opponent and even better chance of knocking down a three.

But saying "we don't do that", rather than saying "we might do that depending on the situation" basically reflects what some folks criticize Pop for...locking into a game plan and not adjusting enough to what's going on. I love Pop, but I do think, at times, he's too stubborn with the script in a game or a series, and doesn't counterpunch the opposing coach's moves properly or timely enough. But then, when he does start playing mad scientist, he takes things too far the other way and things become a mess.

Tough to be an NBA coach, I think. Pop's done it better than almost everyone though.

Armchair quarterbacks are always way better at doing the jobs of the people they sit around and criticize.
    Overtime isn’t the worst scenario. If you foul at the wrong time, they’re not shooting two on the floor, or even three to tie, they’re shooting one to win.

Thread Information