Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone else catch this in the PostGame interviews? An Italian reporter asked why Pop didn't foul Bosh or James before the pass to Ray Allen to tie up the game.

Popovich asked the reporter: "That must be a European thing. We don't do that here in America."

Seems a little arrogant to me. It would have been a great strategy. Pressure free throws, at worse be down by 1 with the ball in the Spurs' hands.

Popovich is an older Spoelstra. Lucky to have had AllStar, non egotistical players on his team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is arrogant, this is not news. He made crucial mistakes but I'll be damned if the idiot media is the one that will make him answer for it. His players who trust him will and that's how it should be.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Europe they at least don't sit their best rebounder when the game is on the line....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have never seen Pop say that a loss was on him, I'm not surprised tbh, I have a lot more respect for Vogel who dealt with his mistake like a real man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes no ing sense.

If we foul Bosh before he passes to Allen, he's going to the line with 5 seconds left. At best, he gets it to within 1 and it's Spur's ball. If the Spurs just get the damn inbound in, game over. Even if we miss both shots at the line, we're up by 1 and Miami has 3-4 seconds (at best) to take it the length of the court and score.

I'd rather do something like Europeans and be celebrating a championship, but apparently I'm crazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do Europeans sit Hall of Famers who are having Hall of Fame games at the end of ball games?

F you you arrogant prick!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that's honestly his rationale, he's dead to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I delivered guys. 45 second mark, Italian reporter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well Pop a european coach would have won this game.One of the stupidest things in NBA is no foul in clutch time.Thank you Pop,you made Ray Allen a hero!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the does a reporter from Italy have to ask the obvious hard question? Are the American reporters that ing stupid, or just that in awe of Pop?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop knows he made some dumb decisions down the stretch. He won't give any reported the satisfactions of pointing those mistakes out. But yes, fouling late is one thing we should have done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone else catch this in the PostGame interviews? An Italian reporter asked why Pop didn't foul Bosh or James before the pass to Ray Allen to tie up the game.

Popovich asked the reporter: "That must be a European thing. We don't do that here in America."

Seems a little arrogant to me. It would have been a great strategy. Pressure free throws, at worse be down by 1 with the ball in the Spurs' hands.

Popovich is an older Spoelstra. Lucky to have had AllStar, non egotistical players on his team.
    he clearly didn't want to get into a free throw shooting contest with the Heat. manu missed one, and later kawhi missed one. make them earn the points. but not having Timmy in there to rebound was big. shades of Vogel game 1 tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We do it in Europe. Put them on the line, make them earn their points and grab rebound on missed on purpose FT. Couldnt be simplier. I dont know what is wrong with it ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the 1995 NBA Finals, game 1, Orlando had a 3 pt lead at the end of regulation and didnt foul Kenny Smith

Smith was already on fire from the 3 pt line .... he took that 3 ... and sent the game to OT

We know what happened after that

And Brian Hill, after the game, was asked about it .... his answer : " we don't do that "

Well, yeah, good decision asshole ... you blew an 18 point lead, and never recovered from that

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll play "hack-a-[insert poor FT shooting big man]" but not foul in the closing seconds of a decisive Game 6 in the NBA Finals with a 3-point lead? WTF?!?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was waiting for the foul tbh. It's not usual in the NBA but it was the ing last play to win a championship so I was sure we would "break" the NBA code.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the 1995 NBA Finals, game 1, Orlando had a 3 pt lead at the end of regulation and didnt foul Kenny Smith

Smith was already on fire from the 3 pt line .... he took that 3 ... and sent the game to OT

And Brian Hill, after the game, was asked about it .... his answer : " we don't do that "

Well, yeah, good decision asshole ... you blew an 18 point lead, and never recovered from that
    Oh and IIRC, the Magic werent even in the penalty

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's just more of Pop being the self-righteous, caustic prick he can be toward the media. He'll never admit publically that HE made a mistake by sitting Duncan. He'll never admit publically that he stuck with Manu too long. He will not admit anything, but he does need to take his own advice and "get over himself".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll play "hack-a-[insert poor FT shooting big man]" but not foul in the closing seconds of a decisive Game 6 in the NBA Finals with a 3-point lead? WTF?!?
    Good point.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have never seen Pop say that a loss was on him, I'm not surprised tbh, I have a lot more respect for Vogel who dealt with his mistake like a real man.
    To be fair to Pop, I don't recall him taking credit for the wins either. He deflects to the players so at least he's consistent, win or lose.

Is there no one else? AchillesHeel's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares if that strategy is disrespectful and whatever, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT A CHAMPIONSHIP! HEAT BIG 3 FORMING TOGETHER AND DANCING IN THEIR SHOW AND SAYING NOT 1 NOT 2 NOT 3 ETC WASN'T RESPECTFUL EITHER, WHY NOT GIVE THOSE GOTS A DOSE OF THEIR OWN MEDICINE?

You do whatever it takes to win the game, Allen tried to injure Parker in the clutch when he sent him out of bounds mid-air, do you think he cared?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for some reason i was watching that game lastnight on youtube...

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is the way they ask him the question, they don't go after him, they ask casually as if he is going to say "Oh yeah, I should have done that".. The question should have been like, "Why would you take out Hall of Fame bound Tim Duncan and cost him a le?" "why would you keep manu in the game despite his 8 turnovers?" why would you not start Tony and Tim and the beginning of the 4th to build on the lead you had and then not put them back in after Miami went on a 5-0 run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The amount of arrogance Pop has displayed tonight disgusts me, and it's not what the San Antonio organization is about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll never admit publically that he stuck with Manu too long. He will not admit anything, but he does need to take his own advice and "get over himself".
    What incentive is there? He only gets love letters from the local media and never gets called on anything negative. Success went to his head after the 2007 win IMO.

Thread Information