Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Third team in two years....
    RC's best friend is KU coach Bill Self. If he was a bad kid or a bust prospect SA would know and wouldn't be pursuing him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's even simpler than that.

Team with cap space (Cleveland for example) gets Bonner, a million in cash and the rights to some player or a second-rounder.
    Houston gets the 28th pick
    The Spurs get Robinson (and something useless from Cleveland to make the trade work by league rules)

Since Cleveland is so far below the cap, the only thing they really have to worry about his Bonner's guaranteed money. If the Spurs give them the money, then it's a net-neutral trade for them. The Spurs could even just give more than a million to Cleveland, essentially using cash to buy some cap space.
    So why does Cleveland (or whoever) go to the trouble to help us? Would sending extra cash be enough, or would they want us to send something of more value?

On a related note, is there a general going rate for this kind of trade facilitation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So why does Cleveland (or whoever) go to the trouble to help us? Would sending extra cash be enough, or would they want us to send something of more value?

On a related note, is there a general going rate for this kind of trade facilitation?
    Well obviously it can differ from team to team (which is why I had the Spurs pick going to CLE for their troubles), but either way you can see it's quite easy to get this deal done if they really want to IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RC's best friend is KU coach Bill Self. If he was a bad kid or a bust prospect SA would know and wouldn't be pursuing him.
    Based on that ESPN story someone posted, they adored this kid. Self, the Morris twins' mom, and half the state of Kansas volunteered to help raise his little sister after his mom died.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Cleveland pretty much gets a second-rounder for free. They literally do not have to pay a dime for the player. They just have to fill out some paperwork to agree to the trade and then to waive Bonner. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Usually, the facilitating team just gets an asset. It's usually not in the form of a first-rounder or anything. Sometimes they get a player they like (like the Wolves go Anthony Randolph in the NY/HOU deal in 2009), but it's typically not much.
    Last edited by Chinook; 06-25-2013 at 10:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well obviously it can differ from team to team (which is why I had the Spurs pick going to CLE for their troubles), but either way you can see it's quite easy to get this deal done if they really want to IMO.
    It's nice to see that it can get done. If the scouting reports aren't too wildly off base, he has a ton of tools and given some time working with our player development folks, he could potentially be a plus defender and rebounder who could score from the post, the elbows and off drives, and maybe even from behind the arc.

I don't know that there's a scenario where he's a franchise player, but if we can develop him, he could potentially be the second or third guy on a contender. A guy like that who's young doesn't become available to us very often.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cleveland doesn't pretty much gets a second-rounder for free. They literally do not have to pay a dime for the player. They just have to fill out some paperwork to agree to the trade and then to waive Bonner. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Usually, the facilitating team just gets an asset. It's usually not in the form of a first-rounder or anything. Sometimes they get a player they like (like the Wolves go Anthony Randolph in the NY/HOU deal in 2009), but it's typically not much.
    Thanks, that's good to know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's fine, except Cleveland is our compe ion for this trade. Doubt they want to help us in this.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on that ESPN story someone posted, they adored this kid. Self, the Morris twins' mom, and half the state of Kansas volunteered to help raise his little sister after his mom died.
    that was me. and wasn't just his mom. was his two grandparents who took care of him and mom, all in a span in 3 1/2 weeks who died. he's the real deal.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think houston would prefer a future pick since getting the 28th pick would create a small (but everything matters) cap hold, which they would presumably try to avoid
    Houston will get a cap hold of around $490,000 for not having that player, vs paying about $890,000 I think for the guy they'd draft at 28.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 06-25-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets make this deal happen.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you really want to know what kind of guy he is read the story, you won't doubt him as a Spur. As far as skills, there's a reason he was drafted where he was. Once you read the story, you'll have no doubt he was on the wrong teams. He's a Spur at heart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you really want to know what kind of guy he is read the story, you won't doubt him as a Spur. As far as skills, there's a reason he was drafted where he was. Once you read the story, you'll have no doubt he was on the wrong teams. He's a Spur at heart.
    He's got game when he was on the court but he needs someone to coach him up, he's still pretty raw but athletic as .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got game when he was on the court but he needs someone to coach him up, he's still pretty raw but athletic as .
    completely agree. but who's the best coaching staff to do that and who has the best teammates to do that? I'm not saying it'll happen or that I even think it will. Just saying as a Missouri fan in the MU KU rivalry, I hope it does cuz he's the best college athlete/ person I've ever seen, as a man. and trust me I hate KU. he'd goes balls out. no .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    completely agree. but who's the best coaching staff to do that and who has the best teammates to do that? I'm not saying it'll happen or that I even think it will. Just saying as a Missouri fan in the MU KU rivalry, I hope it does cuz he's the best college athlete/ person I've ever seen, as a man. and trust me I hate KU. he'd goes balls out. no .
    I would love this deal too but probably won't happen, Cleveland will trade for him and he'll be on the bench as another piece. Spurs will probably get him though when he's 33 or so.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love this deal too but probably won't happen, Cleveland will trade for him and he'll be on the bench as another piece. Spurs will probably get him though when he's 33 or so.
    or 43

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, you know that sounds funny but at the same time you would think wow, 21 years in the league.. Damn

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, you know that sounds funny but at the same time you would think wow, 21 years in the league.. Damn
    Maybe he'd have some experience?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he'd have some experience?
    Yes, he'd be ready to learn the system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thomas ain't a headcase or a bad kid and he appeared to have some skills in College. He issue seems to relate to the clarity of his position in the NBA and also the depth (more investment not skill) in players ahead of him at Sacramento and Houston.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, he'd be ready to learn the system.
    I guess we'll check back in a few decades then

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would really love for the spurs to get this kid. Seems like a Blair with way more potential and athleticism on both ends. If the spurs could develop him, he could be a very solid player for us.
    Last edited by MR-Clutch; 06-26-2013 at 11:45 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do we want another Dejaun Blair? Am I missing something here? At least Dejuan knows how to pass and has some nifty moves around the basket. Robinson is a raw, undersized head case.

Nobody wants him for good reason. Already 1 team has traded him and another is trying to. There's a reason people. The Spurs won't end up biting on this one. Unless they get him practically for free. Which wont happen because he was such a high draft pick just a year ago.
    Not really fair to say he is undersized. He is 6'9 or so and is just as strong as Blair. He has a higher ceiling than Blair as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sam Amico (@SamAmicoFSO)
    Spurs, I'm told, still n running for Thomas Robinson as well. By this time Friday, he likely will no longer be a Rocket, man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information