Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    The Rockets are in advanced talks on a cap-clearing trade of forward Thomas Robinson, with a deal potentially “imminent,” a person with knowledge of their plans said on Tuesday.

The Cleveland Cavaliers and San Antonio Spurs have shown interest in Robinson, according to another individual with knowledge of the Rockets efforts to move Robinson’s $3.5 million salary next season. Though it would be difficult for the Spurs to make any sort of deal for Robinson directly with the Rockets and would likely have to add a third team in a larger deal.

The Rockets have also had talks with the Chicago Bulls, according to the person familiar with negotiations so far, but he said that unlike with the Spurs and Cavaliers, he did not know if the Bulls were interested in Robinson or could be part of a larger deal.

The Rockets would want to move Robinson without bringing back corresponding salary to clear enough cap room to offer a max contract in free agency next month. They would have to clear roughly the equivalent of Robinson’s contract next season to have enough cap room to offer Dwight Howard his maximum salary.

There are 16 teams with the cap room, trade exceptions or non-guaranteed contracts needed to make such a deal without sending the Rockets corresponding salaries.

The Cavaliers can make that kind of deal with some of their available cap room. In addition to their own pick, the Cavaliers have the 19th pick and two second-round picks before the Rockets’ selection with the 34th pick.

The Bulls are over the cap, but have a trade exception that is large enough to make a deal that will expire next month. The Bulls have the 20th pick in the draft.

The Spurs have only their own pick, the 28th pick overall, in Thursday’s first round and would not seem to have a way to make such a trade possible directly with the Rockets.

If the Rockets move into the first round in Thursday’s draft, they could select an international prospect that would assure that he would stay overseas next season, allowing them to not use cap space with the pick. They could seek a future pick with the 2014 draft class expected to be unusually strong.

The Rockets could move two of their three rookies last season that were drafted in the first round to clear the cap room necessary, but would rather have to trade one of their prospects than two. The deal to acquire Robinson was made in part because of a belief that he would be easier to deal than Patrick Patterson or a combination of last season’s rookies.

The Rockets also could opt to make a cap-clearing deal next month if it becomes necessary and according to a person familiar with their thinking, would prefer to keep Robinson until the cap room is necessary to sign Howard. There have been indications, however, that teams have been more receptive to deals before the draft in order to be able to consider the acquisition when making their draft choices.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. They should be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he could be a great short term and long term player. He has a great motor and would fit well under Pop. I would absolutely love it. He's young, talented and not a giant pussy. Which is always a plus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs do a three way trade and end up giving up Bonner/ De Colo and keep their pick with getting Robinson, wow...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Third team in two years....

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be a solid pickup for the right price

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    great. i like him. just needs some stability and leadership to point him in the right way

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Third team in two years....
    So was Chauncey Billups early in his career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the story with this guy? He was the 5th pick in the draft and Sac and Hou don't want him. Smells like trouble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the story with this guy? He was the 5th pick in the draft and Sac and Hou don't want him. Smells like trouble.
    I'm interested in this too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston had their eyes on the big prize!! And Sacramento is well Sacramento. It all depends on what Spurs have to give up..if he doesn't work out in SA he more than likely wont work out in the NBA. Low risk/High reward IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Rockets are in advanced talks on a cap-clearing trade of forward Thomas Robinson, with a deal potentially “imminent,” a person with knowledge of their plans said on Tuesday.

The Cleveland Cavaliers and San Antonio Spurs have shown interest in Robinson, according to another individual with knowledge of the Rockets efforts to move Robinson’s $3.5 million salary next season. Though it would be difficult for the Spurs to make any sort of deal for Robinson directly with the Rockets and would likely have to add a third team in a larger deal.

The Rockets have also had talks with the Chicago Bulls, according to the person familiar with negotiations so far, but he said that unlike with the Spurs and Cavaliers, he did not know if the Bulls were interested in Robinson or could be part of a larger deal.

The Rockets would want to move Robinson without bringing back corresponding salary to clear enough cap room to offer a max contract in free agency next month. They would have to clear roughly the equivalent of Robinson’s contract next season to have enough cap room to offer Dwight Howard his maximum salary.

There are 16 teams with the cap room, trade exceptions or non-guaranteed contracts needed to make such a deal without sending the Rockets corresponding salaries.

The Cavaliers can make that kind of deal with some of their available cap room. In addition to their own pick, the Cavaliers have the 19th pick and two second-round picks before the Rockets’ selection with the 34th pick.

The Bulls are over the cap, but have a trade exception that is large enough to make a deal that will expire next month. The Bulls have the 20th pick in the draft.

The Spurs have only their own pick, the 28th pick overall, in Thursday’s first round and would not seem to have a way to make such a trade possible directly with the Rockets.

If the Rockets move into the first round in Thursday’s draft, they could select an international prospect that would assure that he would stay overseas next season, allowing them to not use cap space with the pick. They could seek a future pick with the 2014 draft class expected to be unusually strong.

The Rockets could move two of their three rookies last season that were drafted in the first round to clear the cap room necessary, but would rather have to trade one of their prospects than two. The deal to acquire Robinson was made in part because of a belief that he would be easier to deal than Patrick Patterson or a combination of last season’s rookies.

The Rockets also could opt to make a cap-clearing deal next month if it becomes necessary and according to a person familiar with their thinking, would prefer to keep Robinson until the cap room is necessary to sign Howard. There have been indications, however, that teams have been more receptive to deals before the draft in order to be able to consider the acquisition when making their draft choices.
    source? link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston isn't trying to deal Robinson because they don't think he has talent or a future, or because he's a bad apple. They're doing it because his salary is right at the amount that they need to clear out so that they'll be far enough under the cap to offer the maximum contract that they can offer to Dwight Howard. Additionally the Rockets basically have five PF's on their roster, so they're dealing from a position of strength (or at least quan y). Some team is going to steal him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess the media feels that Pop would never trade Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems like Robinson would be a bargain and cost less than moving one of the other PF's on the roster. Why him?

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love to have him. Combine him wih Baynes for the 2nd unit...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Robinson expected to be traded before the draft? I wouldn't want to give up the Spurs first round pick for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston isn't trying to deal Robinson because they don't think he has talent or a future, or because he's a bad apple. They're doing it because his salary is right at the amount that they need to clear out so that they'll be far enough under the cap to offer the maximum contract that they can offer to Dwight Howard. Additionally the Rockets basically have five PF's on their roster, so they're dealing from a position of strength (or at least quan y). Some team is going to steal him.
    All I know is 2 teams in 2 seasons and now possibly a 3rd in 3. I know there are some dumb gm's but I would bet on bust on a player who is getting hot potatoed around the league, esp. a top 5 pick.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's just another 6'7 - 6'8 PF with a long wingspan. His game has barely developed since entering the league. I'm always wary about the smaller PFs that looked good in college but suck in the NBA. They looked effective in college because the players were smaller but when they meet the larger bigs in the NBA, they can't compensate. When you are undersized at the PF/C position, you have to work your ass off and prove yourself first. Not that it's impossible, Millsap proved he can play big but I'm not sure about Robinson. And it's always bad news when a team like the Kings trade you after the first year.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's just another 6'7 - 6'8 PF with a long wingspan. His game has barely developed since entering the league. I'm always wary about the smaller PFs that looked good in college but suck in the NBA. They looked effective in college because the players were smaller but when they meet the larger bigs in the NBA, they can't compensate. When you are undersized at the PF/C position, you have to work your ass off and prove yourself first. Millsap proved he can play big, not sure about Robinson. And it's always bad news when a team like the Kings trade you after the first year.
    He's actually 6'9" - 6'10"

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's actually 6'9" - 6'10"
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...Robinson-5496/

Measured at 6'7.75 during the draft. Unless he had a very late growth spurt, I doubt he's even close to 6'10. He my have grown half an inch to be a legit 6'8.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I know is 2 teams in 2 seasons and now possibly a 3rd in 3. I know there are some dumb gm's but I would bet on bust on a player who is getting hot potatoed around the league, esp. a top 5 pick.
    You're right, that's all you know. And if you knew a little more then you'd know that there's a lot more to this and that one season in the league (the majority of which was spent in a patently dysfunctional environment) has not suddenly eviscerated the long-term potential that made him a top 5 pick in the draft one year ago this week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should have bigger and better plans than Thomas Robinson, unless they really like the kid, but I'm not sure how much his NBA tape warrants that. He's a good athlete, though. Very mobile, good leaper, etc.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we can get him without giving up a draft pick we should dive on this.

Thread Information