My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bots Deux

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    City of San Antonio Plans to Pay Settlement to Woman After Detective Searched Her Vagina in Middle of the Street

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2019/10/14/city-of-san-antonio-plans-to-pay-settlement-to-woman-after-detective-searched-her-vagina-in-middle-of-the-street

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"Dozens of police vehicles"

Fox News/Fake media

RIP Officer

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fort Worth police had problems way before the Atatiana Jefferson shooting

The killing of Jefferson in her own home marks the latest in a string of incidents that have made black residents wary of local officers.

it has placed renewed scrutiny on the actions of the Fort Worth Police Department,

which has faced criticism several times in recent years for its handling of other local police shootings and high-profile incidents of excessive force.

the Fort Worth Police Department has moved to show the public that it understands and shares their concerns over the death of Jefferson,

I hope it shows the community that we take these incidents seriously,”

“I want to go ahead and dispel the myth that this is somehow a one-off

that this was just a bad-luck incident from an otherwise sound department,”

Lee Merritt, a civil rights attorney representing Jefferson’s family,
    said at a press conference on Monday.

“The Fort Worth Police Department is on pace to be one of the deadliest police departments in the United States.”

Jefferson’s death —

which is the sixth fatal police shooting in the city since June and the ninth shooting this year,

according to the Associated Press — cannot be separated from other instances of police violence in the area.

recent history, ranging from police shootings to controversial arrests caught on video to the use of Tasers on civilians,

as evidence that the incident fits into a much larger pattern,

one that has been disproportionately used on the city’s black residents.

these incidents of police violence do not happen in a vacuum and cannot be separated from other actions of local police departments.

Fort Worth police have been involved in several high-profile incidents in recent years

https://www.vox.com/iden ies/2019/...ooting-history

I don't know why people are picking on Cow Town racist sadists because they are no more abusive than any cop operation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Officer Resigns After Being Filmed Slamming 11-Year-Old Girl To Ground

The New Mexico police officer accused the girl of assaulting a school administrator. “This proved not to be true,” his police chief later said.

<includes great video for all you cop-fellating racists>

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cop-o...wsltushpmgnews

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘This was an execution’:

Outrage as video shows California police officer shooting unarmed teen in back of head

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/10/thi...8460&list_id=1

running from cops is a capital crime, no trial, no defense, no jury, no judge,
    immediate execution..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Video shows Fresno police fatally shoot fleeing teen. Was the shooting unjustified?
    https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...236551058.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Officer fired after threatening to shoot parents of 4-year-old who 'stole' doll from Family Dollar

one of the Phoenix police officers who pulled a gun and threatened to shoot a pregnant mother of two,

while she held her one-year-old in her arms and her four-year-old by the hand—

all because the four-year-old walked out of a Family Dollar store with a doll—will be fired.

Officer Chris Meyer, who was on leave while a department Disciplinary Review Board investigated this event, has been fired.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/10/23/1894469/-Officer-fired-after-threatening-to-shoot-parents-of-4-year-old-who-stole-doll-from-Family-Dollar?detail=emailLL

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cops: People In Their Own Homes Are In The Wrong Place At The Wrong Time Whenever A Cop Enters Unlawfully

You're the enemy, even when you're in your own home.

That's the arguments cops are making for killing or maiming people who had no idea law enforcement officers had entered their residence.

There's no evidence no-knock raids are safer.

In fact, many high-profile stories
    show the opposite: performing an armed home invasion can often result in an armed response.

The residents don't know cops are entering their house violently.

All they know is people with guns are suddenly in their home shouting threats.

They respond appropriately.

This is a direct result of the militarization of police,

aided greatly by the Defense Department's 1033 program, which encourages cops to partake of the military's surplus. The addition of military gear, tech, and vehicles has allowed

cops to view themselves as
    combatants in a war zone, with everyone who isn't a cop a potential enemy.

Even when they don't have the explicit permission to enter a residence without knocking and announcing their presence,

cops do it anyway.

In Julian Betton's case, cops served a warrant by crashing through his front door unannounced and

shooting at him 29 times (hitting him nine times) when he confronted the home invasion with a gun in his hands.

The gun was at his side but it made no difference to officers who kept firing until they felt he no longer "posed a threat."

Betton was paralyzed from the waist down and suffered numerous injuries to his internal organs.

Betton's security camera.

The recorded footage flatly contradicted multiple officers' sworn testimony.

They claimed they knocked and announced their presence before entering.

The tape shows no knock, no hesitation, and not a single officer moving their lips to announce their presence.

A total of nine seconds elapse between the officers' arrival and their entry into Betton's home.

To paraphrase the oral arguments concisely, this is what was said:

OFFICER BELUE'S LAWYER: Citizens have no right to defend themselves from armed intruders in their home.

COURT: What the actual

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20191012/18373443184/cops-people-their-own-homes-are-wrong-place-wrong-time-whenever-cop-enters-unlawfully.shtml

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Police Owe Nothing To Man Whose Home They Blew Up, Appeals Court Says

An armed shoplifting suspect in Colorado barricaded himself in a stranger's suburban Denver home in June 2015.

In an attempt to force the suspect out,

law enforcement blew up walls with explosives,

fired tear gas and

drove a military-style armored vehicle through the property's doors.

After an hours-long siege,

the home was left with shredded walls and blown-out windows.

In some parts of the interior, the wood framing was exposed amid a mountain of debris.

A federal appeals court in Denver
    ruled this week that

the homeowner, who had no connection to the suspect, isn't en led to be compensated,

because the police were acting to preserve the safety of the public.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/30/774788611/police-owe-nothing-to-man-whose-home-they-blew-up-appeals-court-says

Destruction of the innocent person's house was the only solution the warrior cops could think of, sooner the destruction the better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘Game-Changer’ Warrant Let Detective Search Genetic Database

Privacy experts say it could set a precedent, opening up all consumer DNA sites to law enforcement agencies across the country.

The two largest sites,

Ancestry.com and 23andMe, have long pledged to keep their users’ genetic information private,

and a smaller one, GEDmatch, severely restricted police access to its records this year.

Last week, however, a Florida detective announced at a police convention that

he had obtained a warrant to penetrate GEDmatch and search its full database of nearly one million users.

Legal experts said that this appeared to be

the first time a judge had approved such a warrant,

and that the development could have profound implications for genetic privacy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/05/b...h-warrant.html

A Repug judge appointed by ing criminal Rick Scott.

As Repugs/Federalist Soc continue to pollute the Federal judiciary with young, incompetent extreme right ideologues, expect Americans to be ed harder and deeper by The Law for decades.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Homeland Security will soon have biometric data on nearly 260 million people

The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) expects to have face, fingerprint, and iris scans of at least 259 million people in its biometrics database by 2022,

That’s about 40 million more than
    the agency’s 2017 projections, which estimated 220 million unique iden ies by 2022,

https://qz.com/1744400/dhs-expected-to-have-biometrics-on-260-million-people-by-2022/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NYPD’s Secret Gang Database Targets Minorities and Children

The New York Police Department has a rapidly-growing, secret database of almost 20,000 suspected gang members, which includes mostly minorities and many children as young as thirteen.

“a dangerous form of police overreach, subjecting black and brown New Yorkers to surveillance, harassment, and criminal jeopardy based on factors as innocent as who they walk to school with and what colors they wear.”

Criminal defense lawyers argue that prosecutors refer to the database often and use it against their clients. Children who are arrested go to juvenile detention centers where they become friends with other juvenile offenders.

https://www.projectcensored.org/nypd...-and-children/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fired for speaking the truth, but on video

I can ‘do anything I want, I’m a police officer’:

Indiana cop fired after racially profiling black men in mall parking lot

A white police officer working for Lawrence Township in Indiana has been fired after he was filmed accosting two black men sitting in their car outside of a Nordstrom Rack and accusing them of being “su ious.”

According to WTHR, Lawrence Township

Deputy Constable Daryl Jones approached cousins Aaron Blackwell and Durell Cunningham on the north side of Indianapolis

but was filmed on a cellphone that eventually led to him losing his job.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/11/i-c...l-parking-lot/

no worries, a sheriff will hire him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kentucky white male cop, black female victim, cops keeping those knitters down

Video: A Cop Tased a Woman for Complying. He Was Fired...Two Years Later

A Kentucky police officer tased a black woman for doing exactly what he told her to do.

His police-issued body camera captured the entire incident on video.

Over the course of a two-year “investigation,”

the cop remained on patrol and

used excessive force on at least two more people before he was eventually fired.

He was not arrested and his official police certification was not affected.

https://www.theroot.com/video-a-cop-tased-a-woman-for-complying-he-was-fired-1839928031

Perfect candidate for sheriff deputy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hundreds of Louisiana cases possibly sullied by ex-sheriff's alleged 'knitter knockin' norm

a federal court is tasked with deciding just how deep misconduct reaches in a Louisiana sheriff’s office about 120 miles southwest of Baton Rouge

The federal case could impact more than 700 other cases that the Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office filed

after several deputies were convicted of assaulting and harassing men in the parish jail, the site reported.

This brings into question exactly how much abuse former Iberia
    Parish Sheriff Louis Ackal allowed.

The federal probe has already resulted in more than 100 criminal cases decided during Ackal’s time in office being tossed out,

Ackal, who told the local Acadiana Advocate last November he was “done,” did not seek re-election.

“I’m beat up. I’m tired,” he said.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...r-knockin-norm

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After 36 Years In Prison For 'Georgetown Jacket' Murder, 3 Men Are Exonerated At Last

Investigators reinterviewed witnesses and looked anew at the evidence, and

Mosby's office says the findings were troubling:

Witnesses were coached and coerced by investigators to say they'd seen the three,

after twice failing to pick them out of a lineup.

Witnesses identified a different young person as the shooter, but police instead focused on

Chestnut, Watkins and Stewart.

Defense attorneys had asked for evidence that might exonerate their clients, but prosecutors had said they had none.

The man now suspected of committing the murder was shot to death in 2002.

"Present day, all four of those witnesses have recanted,"

"There is evidence of coerced pretrial preparation. ...

One former student told the state that they were told quote 'Get with the program.' "

"These three men were convicted, as children, because of police and prosecutorial misconduct.

The exonerations bring to nine the number of people freed since 2015 owing to the efforts of the
    Conviction Integrity Unit, a division dedicated to uncovering wrongful convictions.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/26/782941770/after-36-years-in-prison-for-georgetown-jacket-murder-3-men-are-exonerated-at-la?utm_source=npr_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_ content=20191201&utm_term=4258700&utm_campaign=bes t-of-npr&utm_id=10200903&orgid=

Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-01-2019 at 08:33 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    America's "correctional" system

Books Have the Power to Rehabilitate. But Prisons Are Blocking Access to Them.

No Ulysses, Where’s Waldo?, or The New Jim Crow: Welcome to “the nation’s largest book ban.”

California has one of the better prison library programs. The state spends $350,000 annually on recreational books for prisoners, much more than other states do.

Citing concerns about contraband, officials around the country are ratcheting up restrictions on what gets into prison libraries.

Florida blocks 20,000 les and

Texas blocks 10,000 les

they claim could stir up disorder.

A recent report by PEN America
    decried similar restrictions around the country as so arbitrary and sweeping as to effectively be

“the nation’s largest book ban.”

Texas prisons have prohibited Where’s Waldo? and a collection of Shakespeare’s sonnets with racy illustrations.

Illinois, meanwhile, spent
    $276 on nonlegal books across 28 correctional facilities in 2017, compared with about $750,000 annually during the early 2000s,

inmates can choose from more than
    8,500 e-books through the vendor GTL, but they come at a hefty price:

Tablets cost nearly $150 and

some e-books—many of which can be downloaded for free outside of prison—cost as much as $24.99. Popular les like The
    Autobiography of Malcolm X
    and Anne Frank’s The Diary of a Young Girl aren’t always available,

though inmates can download Diary of a Mistress for $14.99 or

Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife for $20.99.

“That is not a library,”

inmates receive tablets at no cost but are charged three cents a minute to read on them,

even when the books would otherwise be free online.

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2019/11/prison-libraries-book-bans-california-sacramento-reading-rehabilitation/

Prisons are not "correctional" but a playground for sadistic brutality, physical and mental, and just another for-profit scam.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After 36 Years In Prison For 'Georgetown Jacket' Murder, 3 Men Are Exonerated At Last

Investigators reinterviewed witnesses and looked anew at the evidence, and

Mosby's office says the findings were troubling:

Witnesses were coached and coerced by investigators to say they'd seen the three,

after twice failing to pick them out of a lineup.

Witnesses identified a different young person as the shooter, but police instead focused on

Chestnut, Watkins and Stewart.

Defense attorneys had asked for evidence that might exonerate their clients, but prosecutors had said they had none.

The man now suspected of committing the murder was shot to death in 2002.

"Present day, all four of those witnesses have recanted,"

"There is evidence of coerced pretrial preparation. ...

One former student told the state that they were told quote 'Get with the program.' "

"These three men were convicted, as children, because of police and prosecutorial misconduct.

The exonerations bring to nine the number of people freed since 2015 owing to the efforts of the
    Conviction Integrity Unit, a division dedicated to uncovering wrongful convictions.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/26/782941770/after-36-years-in-prison-for-georgetown-jacket-murder-3-men-are-exonerated-at-la?utm_source=npr_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_ content=20191201&utm_term=4258700&utm_campaign=bes t-of-npr&utm_id=10200903&orgid=

Damn I hope they sue and win millions. Though no amount of money can make up for losing the best 36 years of your lives. .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-03-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Incarcerated people in West Virginia to be charged 3 cents a minute to read ebooks from free source

Incarcerated people in some West Virginia prisons will reportedly be charged to read ebooks.

The magazine
    Reason reports that inmates will

have to pay 3 cents per minute to use tablets that have been provided to them for free to access books, music, or games.

The ebooks that they would be reading are available through Project Gutenberg, an online library that offers roughly 60,000 ebooks, all of which

are free to the public.

But charges for using the tablets to read those free books will bring in money for

Global Tel Link, the private company that has the contract to provide them.

That’s right:

These incarcerated people are reportedly to be charged to read books that are free to everyone else.

inmates who read can end up paying more money to use the tablets than they make in wages.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/1902216

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oregon Supreme Court Shuts Down Pretextual Traffic Stops;
    Says Cops Can't Ask Questions Unrelated To The Violation

The Supreme Court's Rodriguez decision took a lot of fishing line away from law enforcement officers.

Thousands of traffic statutes are violated every day. (
    Or not broken, in some cases.)

All an officer needed to do was
    follow someone around until they violated one and

then turn the traffic stop into a Q&A session with an eye on obtaining consent to search drivers, passengers, and vehicles.

The Supreme Court said pretextual stops are fine,

but once the objective has been achieved (citation or warning given), the stop is over.

No further questions.

No calling for a drug dog.

Nothing.

Some officers took this to mean they could violate the Fourth Amendment as long as they did it quickly enough.

Some courts allowed them to get away with speedy Cons utional violations.

But, more often than not, courts interpreting the Supreme Court decision have read it as saying

there's
    no extending a stop without reasonable su ion to do so.

The Supreme Court of Oregon has almost completely revoked law enforcement's fishing license.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20191125/15400643456/oregon-supreme-court-shuts-down-pretextual-traffic-stops-says-cops-cant-ask-questions-unrelated-to-violation.shtml

Thread Information