Page 113 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 3728
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does the number of Texas police shootings keep increasing?

police shootings had increased over the course of the prior decade.

Now, the Texas Justice Initiative analyzed police shooting reports and found that they continued to rise from calendar-years 2016 through 2019.

during a period when traffic enforcement has plummeted compared to not very long ago.

The number of fine-only criminal cases filed in municipal courts (Class C misdemeanors) statewide has dropped to well below 1990 levels,

when Texas' population was 17 million compared to 30 million now.

(See p. 20 of the
    latest OCA Statistical report.) Overall arrests statewide peaked in 2009 and have declined since then.)

Couple these reduced contacts with the public with crime drops across the board since the '90s and

the growth of Texas' police force to 80,000 officers, their numbers swelling every day, and

the overall picture emerges over the last three decades that ever-more officers are responding to less and less crime.

A recent analysis of Austin patrol calls found that 2/3 of officer time was spent responding to non-crimes, often because there was no one else available.

this sort of large-scale government waste rooted in mission creep is generally something conservatives criticize.

It's an oddity to me that evaluating and then

cutting the police budget has become this partisan heresy conservatives are supposed to abhor.

https://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.c...SqxB2xaZQS63og

Repugs won't cut law enforcement funding, nor MIC funding, but they will and do cut social safety net.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More proof that law enforcement is in fact the official govt expression of America's deep, pervasive racism

White supremacists and militias have infiltrated police across US, report says

A former FBI agent has do ented links between serving officers and

racist militant activities in more than a dozen states

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-police-report

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More proof that law enforcement is in fact the official govt expression of America's deep, pervasive racism

White supremacists and militias have infiltrated police across US, report says

A former FBI agent has do ented links between serving officers and

racist militant activities in more than a dozen states

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-police-report

Great post..

Just wait for derp to deny it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA police gangs

The deputy who shot and killed 18-year-old Andres Guardado outside a car shop in Gardena was a prospective member of a violent clique inside the Compton Sheriff’s station, according to the sworn testimony of a whistleblower.
    “It is very disturbing – to say the least – that gangs are commonly known to exist within the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. These reports go to the heart of our concerns that the Sheriff’s Department promotes and harbors a culture of violence against the public. Make no mistake, we have every intention of conducting a thorough investigation into the potential involvement of any Sheriff’s Department gang in the shooting of Andres Guardado.”

More than a dozen deputies have matching tattoos and belong to a violent clique called the Executioners at the station, according to Deputy Art Gonzalez, who filed a whistleblower complaint regarding the Executioners in June.
    The sheriff said his department is investigating the claims and has already relieved two deputies of duty and transferred six others.
    Gonzalez’s testimony casts a cloud over other cases, including the shooting of 18-year-old Andres Guardado, who was shot five times in the back by a sheriff’s deputy earlier this year. Gonzalez claims Vega was a prospective member of the Executioners.

Spectrum News 1 requested a comment from Vega’s attorney but did not hear back.

As for Gonzalez, he’s now on leave from the department and in fear for his life, he said. His testimony has inspired two more deputies to come forward with similar stories of the Compton station.
    https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west...-chasing-ink--

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sheriff gangs, which is not to say the cops don't have their own gangs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sheriff gangs, which is not to say the cops don't have their own gangs.
    That's a fair distinction. LAPD isn't immune to cop culture, but LASD is the snakepit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    defund this

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Asthma in Jail Becomes a Death Sentence

Deaths like Savion Hall’s are tragically common in Texas jails.

What’s unusual are the criminal charges against the people responsible for treating him.

https://www.texasobserver.org/when-asthma-in-jail-becomes-a-death-sentence/?utm_source=mc

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even a Federal Judge Agrees That the FBI and NSA Are Flouting Civil Liberty Safeguards

The National Security Agency and Federal Bureau of Investigation

violated thousands of people’s civil liberties

by exploiting systems intended for sussing out foreign intelligence and criminal activity

the FBI violated the law and the

NSA ignored regulations

when these agencies hoovered up emails and other forms of electronic communications from U.S. companies under a law meant for collecting specific intel.

Boasberg noted that “there still appear to be widespread violations” aka UNSTOPPABLE

even after the same federal court denounced these agencies over the very same violations in the past.

https://gizmodo.com/even-a-federal-judge-agrees-that-the-fbi-and-nsa-are-fl-1844963050?utm_source=gizmodo_newsletter&utm_mediu m=email&utm_campaign=2020-09-05

An OBAMA JUDGE, of course.

A Trash/Moscow Mitch/Leonard Leo would have ruled the opposite

Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-05-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mayor suspends officers involved in man’s suffocation death

Seven police officers involved in the suffocation death of Daniel Prude in Rochester, New York, were suspended Thursday by the city’s mayor, who said she was misled for months about the cir stances of the fatal encounter.

Prude, 41, who was Black, died when he was taken off life support March 30. That was seven days after officers who encountered him running naked through the street put a hood over his head to stop him from spitting, then

held him down for about two minutes until he stopped breathing.

Warren acknowledged that Prude “was failed by the police department, our mental health care system, our society, and he was failed by me.”

The videos and other records detailed how police had gone looking for Prude after he bolted from his brother’s home early on March 23, hours after receiving a mental health evaluation at a hospital.

When officers found Prude he was completely naked, on the street in a light snow.

He lay on the ground as they handcuffed him, then grew agitated, shouting and writhing and demanding that the officers give him a gun.

Officers put a hood over his head because he had been spitting and then

pressed his face into the pavement for two minutes, police video shows.

https://apnews.com/b85795102acbc0c86...2pJ0xvWe0t9EWs

Mental health care from police therapists, just another dehumanized chunk of black meat to be slaughtered.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ABQ in top national rank in deaths by police

Albuquerque Police Engaged in Secret Intelligence Gathering Operation

Albuquerque Police Department (APD) has engaged in a large-scale data and intelligence gathering operation since 2006

carried out entirely by private citizens and corporate partners.

This privatization of data-gathering means

APD has avoided community oversight and judicial review in the acquisition of this information,

some of which would have required a warrant to collect.

In addition, do ents show this operation has been used on

at least two occasions for explicitly partisan political purposes.

Big Box retailers upload photos, video, descriptions, license plate numbers, and more to a database owned by APD.

Leaked files reveal a membership roster that includes

thousands of Albuquerque residents,
    business organizations,
    neighborhood association block captains,
    apartment managers,
    hotel clerks,
    bank tellers,
    pawnshop owners, and
    more who have been, or currently are, engaged in information gathering for APD.

And internal emails show that the operation

was not solely about the investigation of alleged retail or property crimes but

focused also on general data and intelligence gathering.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/09/07/albuquerque-police-engaged-in-secret-intelligence-gathering-operation-leaked-do ents-show/

ABQ PD appears to be a totally corrupt, criminal outfit, needs disbanding.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Florida sheriff mimics dystopian scheme to arrest people before crime happens and creates a dystopia

a candidate for Florida sheriff went all in on predictive policing in 2011. And after a decade,

actually promising to stop crime before it happens.

A decade later, the results are amazing … but not in a good way.

Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco

... created a intelligence department

that includes 30 crime-busting programmers and analysts—

more people than the total number of employees in many sheriff departments.

Nocco hasn’t stopped with trying to predict crime before it happens.

He’s determined to carry out

persecution of people who haven’t committed a crime—and

to convict them of something, even if it’s nothing.

his department has become “a system of organized harassment.”

red ball” turns up naming someone as a potential criminal, deputies from Nocco’s department respond in force.

They swarm homes inthe middle of the night,

waking families and embarrassing people in front of their neighbors.

They write tickets for missing mailbox numbers and overgrown grass,

saddling residents with court dates and fines.

They come again and again,

making arrests for any reason they can.

one kid, who was 15 and had a single arrest for stealing bikes,

Pasco Sheriff’s deputies appeared at his home 21 times in a year.

They also appeared at his school.

And at his mother’s job.

And even at his gym.

Not because he had done anything, but because their system said he was a “target.”

the purpose of the program is to “Make their lives miserable until they move or sue.”

Families across the country have found out that Nocco can still pursue them,

even when they are several states away from Nocco’s supposed jurisdiction.

a list of people considered “likely to break the law.”

This list appears to be based in part on past arrests,

but it also includes a secret sauce of other data and analysis that Nocco will not reveal.

the sheriff’s department actually sends out deputies to find and interrogate people not just without a search warrant,

but without evidence of any crime.

They feed in names of people who targets were associated with, mostly friends and family.

Then those people become targets, and the system expands.

Taking Pasco County with the seven nearest counties of equivalent size,

Pasco is the only one where violence crime has increased.

the sheriff’s office is also going to start adding people who had been committed to psychiatric hospitals to their data set of targets.

Because what anyone suffering from mental illness needs, is repeated, unexpected visits from armed deputies.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/1974962

Any guess the skin color most of Nocco's victims are? hint: FL is racist, bag Repug hole.

"The current Sheriff is Chris Nocco, who was appointed by Repug bag Governor Rick Scott."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasco_...ff_Chris_Nocco

Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-07-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘He’s a small child’:

Utah police shot a 13-year-old autistic boy

after his mother called 911 for help

a Salt Lake City police officer

repeatedly shot Linden Cameron after he ran away,

leaving the boy in serious condition with

injuries to his intestines, bladder, shoulder and ankles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/09/08/linden-cameron-utah-autistic-shooting
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-08-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More than half of all wrongful criminal convictions are caused by government misconduct, study finds

Misconduct can be intentional or unintentional, but either way innocent people are found guilty

54 percent of those defendants are victimized by official misconduct,

with police involved in 34 percent of cases,

prosecutors in 30 percent,

and some cases involving both police and prosecutors.

a 2014 study found that

4.1 percent of all death sentences between 1973 and 2004 were imposed on innocent defendants,

in cases presumably with much more legal work involved.

“What does that tell you about non-death cases? We don’t know,”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime...ct-study-finds

America is ed and un able

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SpursTalk police semenshielders ignoring this one.
    White people

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP State Officials Threaten Violent ‘War’ Against Black Lives Matter

two local Republican leaders published and then deleted social media posts which

threatened violence in an imminent right-wing clash against Black Lives Matter and Antifa (anti-fascist) activists.

First, Iron County, Utah commissioner Paul Cozzens published a now-deleted picture showing a soldier with a gun and the words:

"Warning to BLM & Antifa—Once you've managed to defund & eliminate the police, there's nobody protecting you from us. Remember that."

Michael Brown — a Republican member of the Johnson County Commission in Kansas City, Missouri — published a now-deleted Facebook message in which he

urged his followers to "buy a firearm and ammunition" for "the coming war" that is both "inevitable" and

caused by left-wing police reform activists and Democratic leaders who are "silent" and "weak."

"[This] isn't a joke or hyperbole," Brown wrote.

"I'd rather fight and die than live in their dictated world."

https://www.nationalmemo.com/gop-sta...k-lives-matter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like something derp would do for attention

“A Louisiana officer who claimed someone shot him actually shot himself, police say“

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/us/lo...rnd/index.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TEXAS DEPLOYED SWAT, BOMB ROBOT, SMALL ARMY OF COPS TO ARREST A WOMAN AND HER DOG

She had done nothing wrong. State troopers started following her because of “anti-law enforcement rhetoric” on her car windows.

She started to suspect that it might have something to do with the slogans soaped all over the windows of her 2001 Toyota 4Runner. In addition to

“BROWN PRIDE” and

“BLACK LIVES MATTER,”

written across the rear window were the words

“ THESE RACIST POLICE.”

She panicked, and instead of pulling over, she came to a dead stop in the middle of the First Street Bridge, blocking the inside lane.

The state trooper, Garrett Ray, was joined by a second DPS officer, Jason Melson.

Instead of approaching the 4Runner, they drew their service weapons and took cover behind the open doors of their patrol vehicles.

According to Ray’s incident report, it was an “HRS,” or high-risk stop, also known as a felony stop: a procedure employed when an officer believes that someone in the car has committed a serious crime and could be dangerous.

I was riding my bike around Ladybird Lake, and I counted at least 40 DPS vehicles blocking the south end of the First Street Bridge.

There had to be 80 cops on scene by that time, if not 100.

The emergency vehicles included a fire truck,

an ambulance, and

two BearCat armored personnel carriers.

on one rear window I distinctly made out the acronym ACAB, which stands for “all cops are bas s.”

Other agencies were present as well.

A U.S. Marshal in boots and jeans suited up in a bulletproof vest alongside his Ford F-150 4×4.

Texas Army National Guardsmen patrolled the side of the bridge,

lest an amphibious threat come from the paddleboarders on Ladybird Lake. City bike cops in blue polo shirts held the outer perimeter.

Overhead, a police helicopter circled.

Technicians in T-shirts and camo pants were unpacking a drone the size of a coffee table on the pavement.

A smaller police drone, consumer-grade, already hovered above the beleaguered 4Runner.

I had only been there a few moments when

an APD SWAT team arrived.

They pulled up in eight blacked-out Chevrolet Tahoes with all the insignia removed, and

commenced to unload an arsenal of military weapons and body armor from big drawers that pulled out of the beds.

The sound of multiple firearms being locked and loaded echoed from the face of the apartment building across the street.

One SWAT officer with tribal tattoos had his shirt off as he changed uniforms.

A SWAT sniper with a heavy backpack went trotting off in the direction of Aussie’s, the sand volleyball bar, presumably to find a shooter’s nest in the urban terrain.

A vehicle like a refrigerated truck pulled up, and

police technicians placed an antenna on the roof and busied themselves assembling some kind of machine in the cargo area.

A potbellied DPS officer in a felt cowboy hat walked up to those who remained and began

to take photos of us with a digital camera.

It was an unexpected thing to do to unoffending pedestrians, and

chilling the way he went about it,

coldly making eye contact with each person in turn.

Shortly before noon, the SWAT team — about two dozen men — stacked behind one of the BearCat armored vehicles and began to advance on foot toward the stationary 4Runner.

Behind them, a line of half-ton police SUVs crept forward at a walking pace, their bright LED light bars flashing silently in the heat.

The two BearCats boxed in the 4Runner, front and rear, and physically sandwiched it in place,

crushing both bumpers.

The big gray police drone hovered directly above, like a UFO about to abduct the driver.

Finally, the bomb robot moved in and used its mechanical arm to smash a window that said “NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE.”

The SWAT officers instructed her to reach with her left hand and open the door from the outside, step out slowly, and lie face down on the ground.

She was wearing a stretchy black dress and boots, and the hot pavement burned her bare knees.

Next, they had her crawl backwards toward the sound of their voices.

“They’re shouting all this stuff at me: ‘Go forward. Now actually back up. All right, go forward. No, no, no, wrong. Go back.’ I’m like, ‘What do you want me to do? I’ll do it.’”

She was released without charges within the hour.

DPS returned her 4Runner with the window broken and both ends crushed.

She was not offered compensation for the damage

https://theintercept.com/2020/09/22/...zation-budget/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UNREDACTED FBI DO ENT SHEDS NEW LIGHT ON

WHITE SUPREMACIST INFILTRATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT

A 2006 intelligence assessment reveals that officials had concerns about the infiltration of police departments for years

but failed to warn the public.

https://theintercept.com/2020/09/29/...iltration-fbi/

More evidence that the law enforcement is corrupt, out of control, ready to obey and assist a fascist takeover by Trash or a subsequent Repug Pres

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad boys bad boys, what you gonna do?

Los Angeles Police Department found fibbing about facial recognition use

The Los Angeles Police Department has run facial recognition algorithms a whopping 29,817 times over a decade in an attempt to identify suspected criminals captured in CCTV footage,

despite promising it wouldn't.

Officers used software built by DataWorks Plus,

the same biometrics company whose technology led to two wrongful arrests by the Detroit Police Department,

Technically the LAPD does not have its own tools,

it instead outsources the use of machine-learning algorithms through a database of mugshots compiled by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/09/27/in_brief_ai/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Border Patrol Snipers Were Authorized to Use Deadly Force at George Floyd’s Burial

Records obtained by VICE News show

police in Pearland, Texas, invited federal agents to surveil Floyd's burial and authorized them to open fire in the event of unrest.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dz7...ZjA&variantID=

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Pro-Trump Militant Group Has Recruited Thousands of Police, Soldiers, and Veterans

An Atlantic investigation reveals who they are and what they might do on Election Day.

stewart rhodes was living his vision of the future.

He answered his phone. “Let’s not around,” he said. “We’ve descended into civil war.”

Rhodes had been talking about civil war since he founded the Oath Keepers, in 2009.

Rhodes scholar shot out his own eye.

whereas Rhodes had once cast himself as a revolutionary in waiting,

he now saw his role as defending the president.

He had put out a call for his followers to protect the country against what he was calling an “insurrection.”

The unrest, he told me, was the latest attempt to undermine Donald Trump.

when a Trump supporter was killed later that week in Portland, Oregon,

Rhodes declared that there was no going back. “Civil war is here, right now,” he wrote,

Rhodes published them on his blog:

“Your message is spreading and I will make sure it gets to more Marines.”

“Not only will I refuse any unlawful order that violates the Cons ution I will fight the tyrants that give the orders. Rest assured that me and my brothers in Law Enforcement talk about this subject on a regular basis.”

“I fully support you and what you stand for and I do talk about these things with some of my subordinates,” an Air Force officer wrote. “Those who I trust that is.”

When Trump warned of civil war, Rhodes voiced his assent. “This is the truth,” he wrote. “This is where we are.”

Rhodes wrote a creed listing 10 types of orders that members vow to resist.

new members signed up at recruiting events or on the Oath Keepers website.

They hailed from every state.

About two-thirds had a background in the military or law enforcement.

About 10 percent of these members were active-duty.

There was a sheriff in Colorado, a SWAT-team member in Indiana, a police

There were Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers,

a 20-year special agent in the Secret Service, and

two people who said they were in the FBI.

David Hines, a conservative writer, has called

guns the right’s most successful organizing platform.

The issue demands local involvement, to closely track not just federal but state and municipal laws and politics.

Guns are also social. To shoot them, you’ll likely head to a range, and to buy them, you’ll likely visit a store or a gun show where you’ll find people who share your mindset.

“Guns,” Hines writes, “are onramps to activism.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...il-war/616473/

A mob of self-important, gun-fellatin-obsessed whackos lost in a fantasy world. It's a circle jerk

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    17 San Antonio-area first responders arrested so far in 2020

Sixteen law enforcement agents and one firefighter in the San Antonio area have been arrested so far 2020.

The men worked for various agencies, including the

Bexar County Sheriff's Office,
    the Kirby Fire Department,
    the Border Patrol and
    the U.S. Marshals Service,
    the San Antonio Police Department and
    the Cibolo Police Department.

Their alleged offensives range from possession of child pornography to intoxicated manslaughter.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/10/jim...-season-opener

IIRC, in 2019, 20+ Bexar cty deputies were arrested for drunk driving.

Thread Information