Page 115 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 3730
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two former State Police supervisors indicted on federal fraud, theft charges

in alleged years long payroll scheme

Federal agents arrested two retired Massachusetts State Police supervisors Friday morning on fraud and theft charges tied to an alleged, years long overtime payroll fraud scheme, according to court records.

http://click.email.bostonglobe.com/?...412b75a28941e8

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What we really need from police training reform

Any honest assessment of American policing would conclude that

its problems begin with what cops are taught in the academy about what the job is,

what they should expect, and

how they should behave.

Police are trained poorly, often by amateurs, and for too short a time.

in Texas, the Commission on Law Enforcement has insufficient staff or expertise to exercise meaningful oversight over police training and curriculum.

And even if training were excellent, there's too little of it.

Cosmetologists must undergo more basic training in Texas than police officers.

By contrast, in
    Germany police officers train 2.5 years before being deployed in the field.

https://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/2020/12/beyond-bait-and-switch-what-we-really.html

Safe bet is that "training" for CBP / ICE / DHS / sheriff depts is much worse.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eighteen Sheriff's Deputies Waited 500 Yards Away

While A Burglar Terrorized A 70-Year-Old Disabled Man

There is no legal obligation for police officers to protect citizens.

It wasn't just Norkunas involved in this.

The man trying to break into his home had attempted to do the same thing at other houses in the neighborhood.

911 was besieged by calls from Norkunas' neighbors.

But apparently nothing they said made the Broward County Sheriff's Department any more willing to confront the reported burglar.

For this entire ordeal, deputies waited hundreds of feet away, apparently waiting for the problem to solve itself.

Instead of stopping the would-be-intruder at Norkunas’ door, witnesses said,

the deputies stayed down the street and around a corner, some 500 yards away

while Norkunas and his neighbors flooded the 911 emergency communications system begging for help for almost 15 minutes.

18 deputies stood by while this information was relayed, never moving for the fifteen minutes it took for

the burglar to give up and surrender to law enforcement.

Broward County Sheriff's Department --

the
    same department that received deserved heat for its inadequate response to the Parkland school shooting in 2019 --

has offered no satisfactory explanation for this lack of effort when citizens' lives were on the line.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...bled-man.shtml

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New York: Inquiry Confirms Police Misconduct at Protests

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said he was “sorry”

and acknowledged that some “individual officers did something wrong”

and that “there has to be discipline.”

the mayor has given no indication

that senior level commanders would be held to account for their roles in

planning, overseeing, and

spreading misinformation about the brutal police assaults on protesters

the NYPD’s “mass arrest of protesters for curfew violations, in the absence of evidence of actual violence, was disproportionate,”

the arrests were “accomplished in part by using physical force against protesters, including striking them with batons.”

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/12/18/...nduct-protests

The only "change" will be for the worse.

Cops, protected by their unions and the Blue Wall, are untouchable, unaccountable.

Cops join the police for the unbridled, criminal brutality whenever they feel like it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This can't be reformed.

Take the power out of their hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    seldom see this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can this be reformed?

ok for police spy on journalistw?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'I hunt people—it’s a great job':

Ohio deputy/pastor brags before killing Casey Goodson Jr.

The Ohio sheriff’s deputy who shot and killed 23-year-old Casey Goodson Jr. on December 4 was also a pastor who two years earlier bragged to a congregation about being able to “hunt people,”

“I worked this job 14 years, you know I ain’t never been hit clean in the face one time?

It’s a fact. It ain’t ’cause I’m so good. . . . You know why?

I learned long ago I gotta throw the first punch.

And I learned long ago why I’m justified in throwing the first punch.

Don’t look up here like, ‘Oh, police brutality.’

People I hit you wish you could hit, trust me.”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...sey-Goodson-Jr

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    POWERFUL MOBILE PHONE SURVEILLANCE TOOL OPERATES IN OBSCURITY ACROSS THE COUNTRY

CellHawk helps law enforcement visualize large quan ies of information collected by cellular towers and providers.

CellHawk has been in wide use by law enforcement, helping police departments, the FBI, and private investigators around the United States convert information collected by cellular providers into maps of people’s locations, movements, and relationships.

Police records obtained by The Intercept reveal a troublingly powerful surveillance tool operated in obscurity, with scant oversight.

CellHawk’s maker says it can process a year’s worth of cellphone records in 20 minutes, automating a process that used to require painstaking work by investigators, including hand-drawn paper plots.

The web-based product can ingest call detail records, or CDRs, which track cellular contact between devices on behalf of mobile service providers, showing who is talking to whom.

It can also handle cellular location records, created when phones connect to various towers as their owners move around.

Such data can include “tower dumps,” which list all the phones that connected to a given tower — a form of dragnet surveillance.

The FBI obtained over 150,000 phone numbers from a single tower dump undertaken in 2010 to try and collect evidence against a bank robbery suspect, according to a
    report from the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU.

https://theintercept.com/2020/12/23/...agnet-cellhawk

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Black man left to die by cop who shot him in Columbus, mayor says

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/12/27/2004318/-Andre-Hill-left-bleeding-without-aid-more-than-5-minutes-after-Columbus-cop-shot-him-mayor-says

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some of the most irresponsible policing i've ever seen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He moved off a pathway because other people were on it and he wanted to socially distance himself. That's a violation of park rules.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barr/Repug DOJ greenlights cops killing knitters, esp boy knitters

The 2 cops who killed of Tamir Rice? no Fed charges due to lack of evidence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is from the Independence OH, PD report from the time Timothy Loehmann was fired there. Columbus PD hired him anyway.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is from the Independence OH, PD report from the time Timothy Loehmann was fired there. Columbus PD hired him anyway.
    Ohio's Finest, fired for cause, then re-hired

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'd like to see the full tape and not a snippet before calling for this officers job tbh. This dog was probably overly aggressive and threatened the cops safety.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keller PD arrest puts a family face on 64k Class C arrests at Texas traffic stops

The Texas Legislature bears as much responsibility for this episode as the officer.

The US Supreme Court ruled 20 years ago in A er v. City of Lago Vista (a seat belt violation case) that whether officers could arrest for Class Cs is a legislative decision, and that state lawmakers would need to change the statute.

Legislation to restrict the practice passed in 2001 (immediately after A er) but was vetoed by Gov. Rick Perry at the behest of police unions.

In 2003, Perry vetoed
    another bill which would have required law enforcement agencies to have written policies stating when their officers could arrest for Class C misdemeanors.

Since then, it's become common for police to arrest for Class Cs when drivers refuse consent to search.

It's considered one of the "tools in the toolbox," as the practice was described after Sandra Bland's high-profile arrest (launched over her failure to signal) and death.

Police officers arrested people at traffic stops for Class C misdemeanors - either traffic violations or local, municipal ordinances -

64,100 times in calendar year 2019.

This use of Class C arrests

to get around the Fourth Amendment results

in millions in jail expenses,

hundreds of thousands of wasted officer hours, and

tens of thousands of Texans being taken to jail over petty bull .

The officer who arrested Dillon Puente and used unnecessary force against his father deserved the demotion he received,

but mainly for how he treated Dad while he was filming.

The reality is,

the son's arrest, as unfair and inappropriate as it may seem,

for the most part comports with state law and

represents the system working as it was designed.

https://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.c...y-face-on.html

hole Texas with ty Jim-Crow laws by bag Repugs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    U.S. Schools Are Buying Phone-Hacking Tech That the FBI Used to Investigate Terrorists

According to the arrest affidavit, investigators discovered the student and teacher frequently messaged each other, “I love you.”

Two days later, the teacher was booked into the county jail for sexual assault of a child.

school districts have been quietly purchasing these surveillance tools of their own for years.

In March 2020, the North East Independent School District, a largely Hispanic district north of San Antonio, wrote a check to Cellebrite for $6,695 for “General Supplies.”

Gizmodo has reviewed similar accounting do ents from eight school districts, seven of which are in Texas, showing that

administrators paid as much $11,582 for the controversial surveillance technology.

Known as mobile device forensic tools (MDFTs),

this type of tech is able to siphon text messages, photos, and application data from student’s devices. Together, the districts encompass hundreds of schools,

potentially exposing hundreds of thousands of students to invasive cell phone searches.

https://gizmodo.com/u-s-schools-are-buying-phone-hacking-tech-that-the-fbi-1845862393

Chumpdump the biggest warrior

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ gossip

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keller PD arrest puts a family face on 64k Class C arrests at Texas traffic stops

The Texas Legislature bears as much responsibility for this episode as the officer.

The US Supreme Court ruled 20 years ago in A er v. City of Lago Vista (a seat belt violation case) that whether officers could arrest for Class Cs is a legislative decision, and that state lawmakers would need to change the statute.

Legislation to restrict the practice passed in 2001 (immediately after A er) but was vetoed by Gov. Rick Perry at the behest of police unions.

In 2003, Perry vetoed
    another bill which would have required law enforcement agencies to have written policies stating when their officers could arrest for Class C misdemeanors.

Since then, it's become common for police to arrest for Class Cs when drivers refuse consent to search.

It's considered one of the "tools in the toolbox," as the practice was described after Sandra Bland's high-profile arrest (launched over her failure to signal) and death.

Police officers arrested people at traffic stops for Class C misdemeanors - either traffic violations or local, municipal ordinances -

The officer who arrested Dillon Puente and used unnecessary force against his father deserved the demotion he received,

The reality is,

threadworthy, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In 2003, Perry vetoed

The reality is,

Ehhh... the A er ruling actually affirmed officers do have the discretion of making such arrests...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ehhh... the A er ruling actually affirmed officers do have the discretion of making such arrests...
    The lege has tried to change it twice. I hope they keep trying, there's no public safety value here, it's pure flexing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a person can't be jailed for an offense, what sense does it make to arrest them for it?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a person can't be jailed for an offense, what sense does it make to arrest them for it?
    esp if they are non-white, non-male, it blocks the racist, sadistic, power-drunk cop's victim from getting jobs, rentals, loans.

An arrest record really s up your life.

Thread Information