Page 121 of 150 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 3730
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Driving to a lit area is the best thing the soldier could have done tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically, resisting arrest needs to stop being a defcon 1 level crisis for officers. Like is the dude a suspected serial killer? If so, yeah, you don't let him get away. If he just has some misdemenor warrants out, you follow him or just arrest him at his home. What this should've been is them adding on resisting arrest to his record, probably bumping up his warrant enough to where they'd actually go up to his house and arrest him soon after. Like, I think there's definitely a point where it's fine for an officer to feel threatened and use deadly force to protect themselves. But somehow despite the overabundance of militarized training, cops keep coming out as whiny, trigger-happy es who immediately escalate whenever the slightest bit of adversity comes into the picture.

Yes, it was an accident and probably should just be manslaughter. Yes, dude could've probably saved his life by not fleeing. Both made mistakes, but like almost every ing time, the cop's the one who gets to live with their mistake while the civilian is the one who dies for theirs. The police should be the one who take the greater risk and face the harsher consequences for their actions. That they don't is basically at the heart of every problem with law enforcement nowadays.
    all of that sensible-

but easier said than done

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Driving to a lit area is the best thing the soldier could have done tbh.
    Maybe

but once he stopped and realized that the cops had mistaken his “common sense” as “evading” and got their panties in a twist

he should have immediately complied and he would not have been pepper-sprayed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all of that sensible-

but easier said than done
    Arrest warrant for minor parking/moving violations?

Just send letter telling them govt will garnish wages if they do not show up and do it if they fail to appear.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Arrest warrant for minor parking/moving violations?

Just send letter telling them govt will garnish wages if they do not show up and do it if they fail to appear.
    if not mistaken - the kid last night already had a warrant out and failed to appear- so aside from the expired tags (which is a non-issue) he was going to be arrested for the failure to appear

then he resisted (why- I have no idea- he would have been out in less than 24 hrs)
    and jumped in his car which was really really stupid

and i think it is just as stupid as the stupid cop who shot him

both of those stupid actions cost him his life

why not just take responsibility?

why are cops the only ones that need to mind their actions?
    when the public decides to place demands that people take responsibility for their own actions, their own criminal acts- maybe the wrongful deaths will stop?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if not mistaken - the kid last night already had a warrant out and failed to appear- so aside from the expired tags (which is a non-issue) he was going to be arrested for the failure to appear
    The point is that him having a warrant doesn't automatically mean that keeping him from leaving is a huge priority. Just go to his house and arrest him. Or follow him casually until he stops. The officers gave no indication that they thought he was a threat to public safety. That doesn't mean he "gets away with it", since you can tack on resisting arrest to his existing warrant. That's not hard to implement at all.

Um... cops basically have to mind their actions least of anyone right now due to all of the legal protections. If you're talking about what they should do, damned straight should cops have a higher level of accountability for their actions. Not only are they the ones initiating and maintaining the interaction, but they are the ones who are representing their government. Cops basically have no excuse to use deadly force in majority of cases. They can't be trusted with the responsibility if they are going to act like pussies despite millions of dollars in training and protective gear. A regular joe isn't supposed to be perfect in pressure situations, but that's basically the main requirement to be a cop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's cool, but he was driving with expired tags while having a warrant the air fresher narrative was booty. Also the left ran into the issue of it being a woman, who the good ol boys happily threw under the bus.
    Sucks, you're right.

PD did not close ranks and protect the officer.

They threw her to the wolves instead, protecting the good old boys and flying the thin blue line to celebrate their impunity.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count

then he resisted (why- I have no idea- he would have been out in less than 24 hrs)
    and jumped in his car which was really really stupid

and i think it is just as stupid as the stupid cop who shot him

both of those stupid actions cost him his life

why not just take responsibility?

when the public decides to place demands that people take responsibility for their own actions, their own criminal acts- maybe the wrongful deaths will stop?
    He can't take on a greater punishment for his actions than being killed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can't take on a greater punishment for his actions than being killed.
    well he shouldnt have been killed

saying he is accountable -or should be accountable for his actions does not = that he should be punished

my point is that EVERYONE is accountable or partly responsible for his own actions and your own actions contribute to the end result

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

he also contributed to his fate - why is everyone afraid to state this fact: your actions CONTRIBUTE to the incident.

When will the media begin to advise viewers, “whenever you get pulled over- DO EXACTLY AS THE COPS TELL YOU TO DO!”

Then if you get abused you can sue the cops afterward!

Why do we never hear ANYONE SAY THIS?
    Give up your rights and then sue and hope they don't lie. The cops aren't all powerful if you know your rights you'd know that. Even in a traffic stop there is only certain info you have to disclose

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point is that him having a warrant doesn't automatically mean that keeping him from leaving is a huge priority. Just go to his house and arrest him. Or follow him casually until he stops. The officers gave no indication that they thought he was a threat to public safety. That doesn't mean he "gets away with it", since you can tack on resisting arrest to his existing warrant. That's not hard to implement at all.

Um... cops basically have to mind their actions least of anyone right now due to all of the legal protections. If you're talking about what they should do, damned straight should cops have a higher level of accountability for their actions. Not only are they the ones initiating and maintaining the interaction, but they are the ones who are representing their government. Cops basically have no excuse to use deadly force in majority of cases. They can't be trusted with the responsibility if they are going to act like pussies despite millions of dollars in training and protective gear. A regular joe isn't supposed to be perfect in pressure situations, but that's basically the main requirement to be a cop.

sure, just go to his house - but if the kid resisted in the street - whose to say he wont resist in his own home and then those evil cops will be lambasted for daring to go to a private residence...there will always be a reason for the cops to make concessions

but never for a citizen to follow the law and comply?

and the law is set up for ONLY the cops to follow rules

criminals/civilians dont have to abide by any rules when in the commission of crimes
    only the cops face the scrutiny of where the incident led to - should the incident turn deadly

if a cop approaches a vehicle who had tried to fled and the cops stroll up to the window politely and treat the evader with kid gloves- they are out in the open to getting ar15’d by a criminal who gives two s about rules

so either approach the vehicle safely/aggressively and demand to see compliance (hands up/slow moves/no sudden moves,etc)

or risk getting mowed down

lose/lose

too careless you die
    too aggressive you offend the public

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Give up your rights and then sue and hope they don't lie. The cops aren't all powerful if you know your rights you'd know that. Even in a traffic stop there is only certain info you have to disclose
    everyone records these stops now

just obey some simple directives - DO YOUR PART

let the cops be assholes and violate your rights
    you then use the recorded incident to sue and get paid

its not rocket science

but refusing or arguing or having a dialogue “why?” “I didnt do anything” “i know my rights!” Is just ing re ed and dangerous to your own safety

i never allow any cops to get their adrenaline going and i have been cursed at and called slurs

i calmly get all my windows open, dome lights on, hands on steering wheel, yessir the mother er to death and do exactly as ordered

if i need to provide id/insurance i ASK for permission to

”take my right hand and reach for my wallet in this compartment ?” And wait for an ok

somewhere around this time- the cops adrenaline subsides and he begins to act normally
    ”hey man you didnt pull over immediately-why?”

next thing you know- the whole thing is over

absolutely not rocket science

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure, just go to his house - but if the kid resisted in the street - whose to say he wont resist in his own home
    He might, but is that a problem? Not really. There's still no reason to believe he's a danger to anybody. Resisting arrest isn't in or of itself some capital offense. It's a ing misdemeanor.

but never for a citizen to follow the law and comply?
    This is the second time you've tried to push for some equivalency in responsibility. Cops and civilians aren't two species learning to co-exist. Cops serve us, not the other way around. They made the choice to be our servants, and that comes with asymmetrical risk and responsibility. If they can't handle that, they can quit, become civilians again and enjoy the asymmetrical relationship from the other side. Being an officer is a job, not an elevated social class.

and the law is set up for ONLY the cops to follow rules
    Okay, I'm getting a bit worried. Do you really think cops are usually disadvantaged by the law? Do you really think of the millions of police interactions that happen every year, that cops are the ones getting in trouble? Like we can debate ideals, but if you're trying to argue this from a position of fact, it's fundamentally wrong. Many, many laws are set up to give police the benefit of the doubt and to shield them from liability. This isn't even just in cases of wrongful death. Police get away with a lot of crimes, from small ones like traffic violations to big ones like domestic violence.

Back to ideals, cops are the ones who should get raked over the fire in terms of media coverage. Civilians serve at their own behest, and the law is made to punish them. The media (and public opinion) is there to hold the government, of which police are representatives, accountable. A guy like Wright can be a criminal or the s of the Earth or whatever -- who cares? Dude's dead. But how the officer acts matters because it determines what relationship we have with our law enforcement and what standard or training and rationality we can hold them to.

if a cop approaches a vehicle who had tried to fled and the cops stroll up to the window politely and treat the evader with kid gloves- they are out in the open to getting ar15’d by a criminal who gives two s about rules
    That's the job. If they don't want to take that risk, they need to quit. Blues Lives Don't Matter as much as civilian lives. That doesn't mean that they have to throw their lives away, but it does mean they can't use the same fear standards that regular people use.

Of course, being a cop isn't actually that risky. Cops are way more likely to die due to health complications from their ty lifestyles/work schedules than anything to do with criminals gunning them down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs homer has a really weird pro-cop streak. he was also actively defending amber guyger too. if i had to guess, he has family or close friends in law enforcement

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Air fresheners. Sure

Cop ed up for sure, but this wasn't about air fresheners.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    please try to catch up, Darrin.

unpaid misdemeanor tickets is almost equally disproportionate to the results.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    please try to catch up, Darrin.

unpaid misdemeanor tickets is almost equally disproportionate to the results.
    I've been in that situation. I didn't do what the dead guy did.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He might, but is that a problem? Not really. There's still no reason to believe he's a danger to anybody. Resisting arrest isn't in or of itself some capital offense. It's a ing misdemeanor.

This is the second time you've tried to push for some equivalency in responsibility. Cops and civilians aren't two species learning to co-exist. Cops serve us, not the other way around. They made the choice to be our servants, and that comes with asymmetrical risk and responsibility. If they can't handle that, they can quit, become civilians again and enjoy the asymmetrical relationship from the other side. Being an officer is a job, not an elevated social class.

Okay, I'm getting a bit worried. Do you really think cops are usually disadvantaged by the law? Do you really think of the millions of police interactions that happen every year, that cops are the ones getting in trouble? Like we can debate ideals, but if you're trying to argue this from a position of fact, it's fundamentally wrong. Many, many laws are set up to give police the benefit of the doubt and to shield them from liability. This isn't even just in cases of wrongful death. Police get away with a lot of crimes, from small ones like traffic violations to big ones like domestic violence.

Back to ideals, cops are the ones who should get raked over the fire in terms of media coverage. Civilians serve at their own behest, and the law is made to punish them. The media (and public opinion) is there to hold the government, of which police are representatives, accountable. A guy like Wright can be a criminal or the s of the Earth or whatever -- who cares? Dude's dead. But how the officer acts matters because it determines what relationship we have with our law enforcement and what standard or training and rationality we can hold them to.

That's the job. If they don't want to take that risk, they need to quit. Blues Lives Don't Matter as much as civilian lives. That doesn't mean that they have to throw their lives away, but it does mean they can't use the same fear standards that regular people use.

Of course, being a cop isn't actually that risky. Cops are way more likely to die due to health complications from their ty lifestyles/work schedules than anything to do with criminals gunning them down.

bottom line:

if floyd had complied - he would be alive today
    his “claustrophobia” didnt seem to be an issue while he was sitting in his own car just 5 minutes before

wright would be alive today if he had made the adult decision to comply

philando castile would be alive today if he had not reached under his seat when ordered not to reach

and this is the case for most of these shootings

were the cops blameless in all or any of these? Of course not and i hope chauvin dies in jail as an old man

but my ONLY point is that all these dudes ALSO played a part in their own demise and NO ONE ever wants to face that truth

no one

it is always - some kind of cop abuse- always

take away the cops completely out of the equation for just one second -
    and just look at the role the “victims” played and ask yourself if they played any part in their own demise

IF you can be objective for one moment

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs homer has a really weird pro-cop streak. he was also actively defending amber guyger too. if i had to guess, he has family or close friends in law enforcement

didnt defend her

i thought that she ed up and that she might convince a jury to forgive her
    but didnt defend her

i also said i was wrong and you were right and gave you props unless im remembering wrongly?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    didnt defend her

i thought that she ed up and that she might convince a jury to forgive her
    but didnt defend her

i also said i was wrong and you were right and gave you props unless im remembering wrongly?
    that you admitted you were wrong after the fact is one thing, but your inclination to defend is nevertheless becoming a theme

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that you admitted you were wrong after the fact is one thing, but your inclination to defend is nevertheless becoming a theme
    nah

just pointing out that no one seems to ever hold the guys who actively resist and contribute to a traffic stop going sideways- equally responsible - heck not even equally but even PARTLY responsible

im just saying they have SOME part in their own demise and it reeks of bias that no one calls it out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you wouldn't have deserved to die either if you did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nah

just pointing out that no one seems to ever hold the guys who actively resist and contribute to a traffic stop going sideways- equally responsible - heck not even equally but even PARTLY responsible

im just saying they have SOME part in their own demise and it reeks of bias that no one calls it out
    I don’t consider resisting arrest to the same level as murder. People who resist arrest should face charges for such

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sure many cops have been in the same situation as this cop and didn’t kill anybody

Thread Information