Page 130 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 3730
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NYPD’s Sprawling Facial Recognition System Now Has More Than 15,000 Cameras

The massive camera network is concentrated in predominantly Black and brown neighborhoods

15,000 surveillance cameras in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Bronx,

3,590 in Manhattan, 8,220 in Brooklyn, and 3,470 in the Bronx.

The highest concentrations of cameras appeared to be in predominantly Black and brown neighborhoods like

Brooklyn’s East New York, which was the city’s most surveilled neighborhood with 577 cameras.

The project is still collecting data for Queens and Staten Island.

NYPD conducted more than 22,000 facial recognition searches from October 2016 through October 2019

“You are never anonymous.

Whether you’re attending a protest, walking to a particular neighbourhood, or even just grocery shopping—

your face can be tracked by facial recognition technology using imagery from thousands of camera points across New York.”

“The NYPD’s issues with systemic racism and discrimination are well-do ented—so, too, is the technology’s bias against women and people of colour.

Using FRT with images from thousands of cameras across the city risks

amplifying racist policing, harassment of protesters, and could even lead to wrongful arrests.”

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epnv8z/nypds-sprawling-facial-recognition-system-now-has-more-than-15000-cameras

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another Boston police scandal is quietly unfolding
    While the city’s attention has been tied up in the future of embattled Police Commissioner Dennis White and the past of former union president Patrick Rose,

federal investigators have been unfurling evidence of a sprawling Boston police overtime fraud scheme,

part of a prosecution that has been quietly — and steadily — widening in scope.

To date, 14 current or former Boston police employees, almost all from the evidence unit, have been charged with

falsifying time sheets in order to collect more than $300,000 in fraudulent overtime.

Six of those implicated are former supervisors, including a retired captain who oversaw the department’s evidence warehouse.

https://bostonglobe.us11.list-manage...5&e=3ae3948659

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honolulu Police Officer Is Charged With Murder in the Shooting of a 16-Year-Old

Geoffrey H.L. Thom shot Iremamber Sykap eight times after a high-speed chase on April 5, prosecutors said.

Two other officers were charged with attempted murder.

“The evidence supports the conclusion that the defendants’ use of deadly force in this case was unnecessary, unreasonable, and unjustified under the law,”

, the officer charged with second-degree murder, had fired 10 shots “without provocation” into the rear window of a Honda driven by Iremamber, hitting him eight times.

Thom had written in a police report that the Honda had rammed his patrol car and had reversed toward him. But body camera footage, they said, contradicted those statements.

Nee, 26, a three-year police veteran, had fired four shots without provocation toward the passenger side of the Honda after it struck his empty patrol car.

Nee wrote in his report that he thought he had seen the butt of a firearm in the lap of the front-seat passenger, but body camera footage contradicted his account,

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/15/t...road-trip.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No surprise that racism is rampant in police depts since it is rampant in America

Black campus police officers detail 'unbearable' racism from superiors in shocking civil rights lawsuit

the lawsuit describes "dozens of incidents, ranging over the past several years through last month" that include both verbal and physical abuse.

she sometimes found bananas placed in front of her locker, once with a note that referred to her as a 'monkey' and said, 'Here's your lunch,'" the Times reports.

"Officer Hamani Nowlen reported that a white supervisor hit him with a long, stick-like object and remarked, 'You people should be used to being hit with these.'

Officer Damien Taylor said he overheard white officers talking about the case of George Floyd, who was killed by a white police officer in Minneapolis last year, saying, 'His Black ass got what he deserved.'"

https://www.rawstory.com/campus-police

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Authoritarian Instincts of Police Unions

They condition their members to see themselves as

soldiers at war with the public they are meant to serve, and

above the laws they are meant to enforce.

In the apocalyptic rhetoric of police-union leaders,

every victim of police misconduct is a criminal who had it coming,

and anyone who objects to such misconduct is probably also a criminal, and,

by implication, a legitimate target of state violence.

Due process is a privilege reserved for the righteous—

that is, police officers who might lose their jobs,

not the citizens who might lose their lives in a chance encounter with law enforcement.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-unions/619006

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Third Grader Drew a Rocket That Looked Like a Penis. She Was Handcuffed and Removed From School.

After a Florida teacher mistook a third grader’s drawing of a person hugging a rocket for male genitalia,

police seized the child for an involuntary psychiatric examination and

threw her into the back of a squad car, according to a new federal lawsuit.

“Baker Acted,” after a Florida law that allows children to be taken to a facility for an involuntary mental health exam if they’re suspected of seriously harming themselves or others in the near future.

At least 1,216 kids were “Baker Acted” in the Palm Beach County School District between the 2016 school year and 2020 school year,

Some allegedly had developmental disabilities and didn’t meet the statutory criteria for involuntary psychiatric examinations.

“nearly every Baker Act originating” in the Palm Beach County School District “was initiated by an officer” of the district’s police department.

kids—particularly children of color and children with disabilities—are forced into unnecessary and sometimes traumatic interactions with law enforcement.

On the day that the teacher discovered the drawing, she ran out of her classroom out of embarrassment and fear she’d get in trouble.

Staff contacted a school police officer and a
    “mobile response team” to bring the child into the principal’s office.

“More than two years later, L.A. still has nightmares about her experience with the Baker Act,” the lawsuit alleges.

“She was bullied by other students,

who knew that she had been transported for a purported desire to kill herself and

told her that she should ‘just do it.’

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4av4gb/a-3rd-grader-drew-a-rocket-that-looked-like-a-penis-she-was-handcuffed-and-removed-from-school

the inhumanity, the sadistic cruelty of American fascism

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KICK TO SUSPECT'S HEAD

<video>

The Sheriff says a review of the footage raised immediate concerns

https://www.tmz.com/2021/06/18/cop-under-investigation-kick-suspect-head-surrender-video-san-bernardino-sheriff-deputy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    inhumane, sadistic fascism

laws are laws, esp if you're non-white, non-male, non-rich

A grandmother didn’t answer her phone during a class.

She was sent back to prison.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...a17_story.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ohio lawmakers propose bill that would criminalize recording the police with your mobile phone

a transparent attempt to have law enforcement escape accountability for any potential misdeeds that they may commit during the course of their duties.

House Bill 22, a measure that would “expand Ohio obstruction of justice laws by including failure to follow a lawful order from police or diverting a law enforcement officer’s attention,”

it would be beneficial for both the police and the public at large when law enforcement is trying to keep crime scenes under control, make arrests, or “maintain order.”

The bill is naturally supported by the Ohio Prosecuting Attorney’s Association, the Buckeye Sheriff’s Association, the Ohio Highway Patrol, and the Fraternal Order of Police in the state.

the proposed bill will be used

to prevent witnesses of incidents of excessive force by police from using their mobile phones to do ent the misbehavior by law enforcement officers,

such an important factor these days to overcome the impunity of law enforcement in their violent encounters with the public.

https://occupydemocrats.com/2021/06/27/ohio-lawmakers-propose-bill-that-would-criminalize-recording-the-police-with-your-mobile-phone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    public safety officers

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    public safety officers

Used to get a gross of M-80's & a gross of cherry bombs every July as a kid. In wooden boxes with saw dust laid in. Top quality stuff from Alabama. Not a dud in the bunch, underwater fuses. I blew up all sorts of with those damn things. Throw 'em in people's pools on the way to school, big old geysers would result.

Then chase each around with the roman candles.

The good old days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    public safety officers

17 hurt in blast during LAPD detonation of explosive devices

A major explosion in South Los Angeles on Wednesday evening damaged homes and injured 17 people, including police officers, as a bomb squad attempted to safely detonate improvised explosive devices that had been seized from a home along with about 5,000 pounds of illegal fireworks.

The blast damaged cars in a residential neighborhood and left debris on the streets, video on social media showed. A truck that was being used to collect the explosives also appeared to be severely damaged.

At a news conference, Los Angeles Police Chief Michel Moore said officials responding to a home on the 700 block of East 27th Street had found several thousand pounds of illegal fireworks as well as improvised explosive devices that were “more unstable.”

An LAPD bomb squad transferred the improvised devices into the iron chamber of a semitruck that’s meant to contain such explosive material, he said.

Police detonated the devices at 7:37 p.m., believing that the vehicle would be able to contain the explosion, but there was a “total catastrophic failure of that containment vehicle,” Moore said.

“Clearly protocols were followed and pursued, but something happened in that containment vehicle that should have not happened and we don’t know why,” the chief said. “We intend to find out why.”

The injured identified by officials ranged in age from 42 to 85. Officials said that nine LAPD officers and an officer from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were treated for minor injuries and are in fair condition. Six civilians were also taken to a hospital, three with serious injuries and three with minor injuries. One civilian was assessed for injuries but not transported.

Moore said that none of the injuries was life-threatening.

Officers also found improvised explosive devices with simple fuses — about 40 the size of Coke cans and 200 smaller objects of similar construction — and conducted X-rays to determine their contents.

Less than 10 pounds of the devices were transferred into a semitruck, which Moore said was rated, with its outer containment s , to handle 18 pounds. Officials established a 300-foot perimeter behind the vehicle and evacuated the north and south sides of 27th Street.

But the explosion that followed brought 75 firefighters to the scene, caused damage to homes, consisting mostly of broken glass, and injured law enforcement officers and civilians. Eight or nine families had to find other housing for the night, Moore said.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...egal-fireworks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess they knew what they were doing, the middle of a residential street seems an odd place for detonation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    17 hurt in blast during LAPD detonation of explosive devices

A major explosion in South Los Angeles on Wednesday evening damaged homes and injured 17 people, including police officers, as a bomb squad attempted to safely detonate improvised explosive devices that had been seized from a home along with about 5,000 pounds of illegal fireworks.

The blast damaged cars in a residential neighborhood and left debris on the streets, video on social media showed. A truck that was being used to collect the explosives also appeared to be severely damaged.

At a news conference, Los Angeles Police Chief Michel Moore said officials responding to a home on the 700 block of East 27th Street had found several thousand pounds of illegal fireworks as well as improvised explosive devices that were “more unstable.”

An LAPD bomb squad transferred the improvised devices into the iron chamber of a semitruck that’s meant to contain such explosive material, he said.

Police detonated the devices at 7:37 p.m., believing that the vehicle would be able to contain the explosion, but there was a “total catastrophic failure of that containment vehicle,” Moore said.

“Clearly protocols were followed and pursued, but something happened in that containment vehicle that should have not happened and we don’t know why,” the chief said. “We intend to find out why.”

The injured identified by officials ranged in age from 42 to 85. Officials said that nine LAPD officers and an officer from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were treated for minor injuries and are in fair condition. Six civilians were also taken to a hospital, three with serious injuries and three with minor injuries. One civilian was assessed for injuries but not transported.

Moore said that none of the injuries was life-threatening.

Officers also found improvised explosive devices with simple fuses — about 40 the size of Coke cans and 200 smaller objects of similar construction — and conducted X-rays to determine their contents.

Less than 10 pounds of the devices were transferred into a semitruck, which Moore said was rated, with its outer containment s , to handle 18 pounds. Officials established a 300-foot perimeter behind the vehicle and evacuated the north and south sides of 27th Street.

But the explosion that followed brought 75 firefighters to the scene, caused damage to homes, consisting mostly of broken glass, and injured law enforcement officers and civilians. Eight or nine families had to find other housing for the night, Moore said.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...egal-fireworks
    This is what happens when the police force is full of guys who's previous work history is working at UPS or flipping burgers. Dummies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PPB beat up a nurse just for being there

https://www.wweek.com/news/2021/07/0...ctical-gloves/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Due to the demeanor displayed by (the woman) in attempts to intimidate law enforcement while destroying a pro law enforcement sign, the allegations are being treated as a hate crime enhanced allegation."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cops execute handcuffed mentally ill man

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CBP's corruption streak continues, after border agents busted for working with smugglers

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has long been considered one of the most corrupt federal bodies in the nation,

with a government commissioned report in 2015 noting
    that “arrests for corruption of CBP personnel far exceed,

on a per capita basis, such arrests at other federal law enforcement agencies,”

a U.S. Border Patrol agent has admitted to conspiring with human smugglers for profit,

allowing them to transport people across the border in exchange for $400 a person.

The report said that messages reveal an

informant asking the agent, Rodney Tolson, Jr., if he was “ready to make some cash.”

Court do ents say that the agent responded, “U know it,”

“Texas border agent helps smuggler sneak in cocaine—as other agents watched, feds say,”

Every year, approximately 250 CBP employees are arrested,

many on su ion of serious felonies; dozens have been jailed in recent years on corruption charges,

including weapons trafficking and collaborating with Mexican drug cartels,”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...with-smugglers

Another sign the America is failed state

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cops blame Antifa for Oregon wildfires --

and approvingly share Proud Boys propaganda

Emails revealed police continued blaming wildfires last year in Oregon on anti-fascist activists after the FBI knocked down those rumors.

a Washington sheriff and other law enforcement officials pushed those rumors last summer to pin the blame for those wildfires on Antifa and Black Lives Matter demonstrators, although federal investigators found no evidence that was true,

American right-wingers began stoking similar rumors after the George Floyd protests swept the country,

but they gained new power when law enforcement officials appeared to endorse them.

sheriffs spreading baseless rumors about antifa puts progressive activists and the general public in the crosshairs,"

Songer, a self-described "cons utional sheriff"

https://www.rawstory.com/proud-boys-..._campaign=7477

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pawtucket officer pleads not guilty in shooting of unarmed teenage motorist

Patrolman Daniel Dolan Jr. faces

three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon and

one of using a firearm —

his .40 caliber police weapon — while committing a crime of violence

Dolan was off-duty and nearly 30 miles outside of his jurisdiction

on June 23 when he accosted three West Greenwich teenagers in their car outside Wicked Good pizza.

He
    told investigators that he’d seen their Audi speed by him on Route 95 — a state police analysis found the car had been going about 110 miles an hour — and followed to “speak to the operator.”

They just saw his gun.

As the driver, 18-year-old Dominic Vincent, tried to pull away, Dolan followed their car on foot and yelled that he was going to shoot him — and then fired through the driver’s side window.

Vincent’s upper left arm was shattered, according to his lawyer, James P. Howe.

A Pawtucket city councilwoman said that she had warned Mayor Donald Grebien and Police Chief Tina Goncalves that Dolan was aggressive with residents on the street.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/07/16/metro/pawtucket-officer-arraigned-felonies-shooting-unarmed-teenage-motorist/

sounds like, yawn, just another sadistic, blood thirsty criminal cop

video in the article

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cops execute handcuffed mentally ill man

Can't find any followup as to if the cops skated.
    Update. Pigs completely walked.
    Inside the highly unusual case of a Utah officer who killed a handcuffed man inside the police station (sltrib.com)

West Valley City’s incident review committee determined Longman didn’t violate policy, and he’s back on duty after being on administrative leave, which is standard protocol after a police shooting. His actions are also defended by Utah’s Fraternal Order of Police.
    Last edited by MultiTroll; 07-16-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Thread Information