Page 132 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142 ... LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 3728
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NYPD Sued Over Its Illegal Use Of Sealed Arrest Records

When police officers kill someone, the kneejerk reaction is to publicly disparage the dead, in hopes of making the deceased appear to have "deserved" to be killed, even if their actions during the incident didn't appear to justify the killing.

To do this, officers dig into their databases and dredge up every arrest, citation, and do ented interaction with law enforcement to make it appear as though the officers have (permanently) removed a threat from the streets, rather than simply applied excessive force until the person was dead.

The NYPD is no different than other agencies. It did this following the killing of Eric Garner, leaking arrest records to press outlets in hopes of portraying the dead man as a persistent threat to public safety and police officers.

But the NYPD breaks the law when it does this. State law is supposed to prevent access to sealed arrest records -- records that aren't tied to convictions.

This law is in place to protect people from discrimination and harassment by making these unavailable to be used against them when being interviewed for jobs or seeking places to live, just to name a couple of examples.

The NYPD isn't exempt from this law, but it sure seems to feel it is.

The New York Police Department has been training its officers to break a long-standing law that bars police from snooping in the sealed arrest records of millions of innocent people,

according to court papers filed in a lawsuit last week.

The news comes in a class-action lawsuit concerning the police department’s practice of flouting a state law designed to protect people from discrimination, harassment, and further legal consequences over old arrests that didn’t result in a conviction. The Bronx

Defenders, a public defense organization, brought the legal action against New York City and the NYPD.

It's not just used to turn dead bodies into terminated threats.

The records are also used in court to portray accused suspects as lifelong criminals, even if the arrests never resulted in convictions.

The NYPD also pulls photos from sealed records and adds them to virtual lineups,

giving people with sealed records the dubious opportunity to be arrested for new crimes they possibly didn't commit.

This isn't the first time the NYPD's unlawful access has been challenged.

It has not only been told by legislators it can't do this,

it has been told by a judge.

In court, lawyers from the New York City Law Department, which represents the city and the NYPD, don’t deny that they’re accessing the records the law says should be sealed.

Instead, they’ve argued that the law actually allows police to access sealed records without a court order.

Judge Alexander Tisch rejected those arguments outright in a 2019 ruling,

finding that NYPD is, in fact, bound by the law and that

if the department “were seeking sealed information for an investigation, it would have to make an application to the court.”

This admission by the NYPD that it's breaking the law should count against it in this lawsuit brought by the Bronx Defenders.

Just as damning are the NYPD training materials obtained during discovery,

which show that the NYPD instructs officers to break the law by telling them they don't need a court order to access these records.

A redacted version of that training do ent is included in the Bronx Defenders' addendum [PDF] to its request for an injunction forcing the NYPD to respect the law.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-records.shtml

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Experts Warn Viral Police Video and Media Coverage of Fentanyl Could Cause More Harm

"Content like this simply creates more fear and irrational panic that fuels further punitive responses to the overdose crisis, instead of the public health approach we need."

"Despite anecdotal reports from nonmedical sources about overdose from 'exposure' to fentanyl,

it is not possible to overdose on fentanyl or fentanyl analogues through accidental skin contact or from close proximity alone,

"Fentanyl and fentanyl analogues do not readily cross the skin barrier and do not aerosolize well.

The only way to overdose on these substances is from injecting, snorting, or otherwise ingesting them, or in the case of the fentanyl patch, from mixing with an absorbable solvent and applying very large quan ies for very long durations of time," he explained.

"Furthermore, opioid overdose is a clinical syndrome with well-defined characteristics that do not align with these reports."

"it is not biologically possible" to experience overdose symptoms, or to die, from touching or being exposed to the drug,

and that alternative explanations to Deputy Faiivae's reaction could be the enormous stress and panic among law enforcement officers around this issue.

Most opioids take 30 to 90 minutes to become fatal, and a fentanyl overdose can be fatal in 10 to 15 minutes,

Professor Beletsky said. He clarified that the only way to get fentanyl into someone's system through their skin is by using medically prescribed fentanyl patches for pain, and those have led to very few, if any, fatal overdoses.

He added that reactions to fentanyl such as Deputy Faiivae's tend to be reported only by police departments or drug administrations,

and rarely has a toxicology report or a medical follow-up shown that an officer, in fact, overdosed on fentanyl.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...ause-more-harm

so the ing cops are ing LYING? what a surprise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NYPD Sued Over Its Illegal Use Of Sealed Arrest Records

When police officers kill someone, the kneejerk reaction is to publicly disparage the dead, in hopes of making the deceased appear to have "deserved" to be killed, even if their actions during the incident didn't appear to justify the killing.

To do this, officers dig into their databases and dredge up every arrest, citation, and do ented interaction with law enforcement to make it appear as though the officers have (permanently) removed a threat from the streets, rather than simply applied excessive force until the person was dead.

The NYPD is no different than other agencies. It did this following the killing of Eric Garner, leaking arrest records to press outlets in hopes of portraying the dead man as a persistent threat to public safety and police officers.

But the NYPD breaks the law when it does this. State law is supposed to prevent access to sealed arrest records -- records that aren't tied to convictions.

This law is in place to protect people from discrimination and harassment by making these unavailable to be used against them when being interviewed for jobs or seeking places to live, just to name a couple of examples.

The NYPD isn't exempt from this law, but it sure seems to feel it is.

The New York Police Department has been training its officers to break a long-standing law that bars police from snooping in the sealed arrest records of millions of innocent people,

according to court papers filed in a lawsuit last week.

The news comes in a class-action lawsuit concerning the police department’s practice of flouting a state law designed to protect people from discrimination, harassment, and further legal consequences over old arrests that didn’t result in a conviction. The Bronx

Defenders, a public defense organization, brought the legal action against New York City and the NYPD.

It's not just used to turn dead bodies into terminated threats.

The records are also used in court to portray accused suspects as lifelong criminals, even if the arrests never resulted in convictions.

The NYPD also pulls photos from sealed records and adds them to virtual lineups,

giving people with sealed records the dubious opportunity to be arrested for new crimes they possibly didn't commit.

This isn't the first time the NYPD's unlawful access has been challenged.

It has not only been told by legislators it can't do this,

it has been told by a judge.

In court, lawyers from the New York City Law Department, which represents the city and the NYPD, don’t deny that they’re accessing the records the law says should be sealed.

Instead, they’ve argued that the law actually allows police to access sealed records without a court order.

Judge Alexander Tisch rejected those arguments outright in a 2019 ruling,

finding that NYPD is, in fact, bound by the law and that

if the department “were seeking sealed information for an investigation, it would have to make an application to the court.”

This admission by the NYPD that it's breaking the law should count against it in this lawsuit brought by the Bronx Defenders.

Just as damning are the NYPD training materials obtained during discovery,

which show that the NYPD instructs officers to break the law by telling them they don't need a court order to access these records.

A redacted version of that training do ent is included in the Bronx Defenders' addendum [PDF] to its request for an injunction forcing the NYPD to respect the law.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-records.shtml

yeah, I posted about this upsteam. basically NYPD is saying "we're too busy breaking the law to be reasonably expected to mend our ways now."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wasteful efficient bureaucracy, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NYPD secretly spent $159 million on surveillance tech

Do ents show the department paid millions for facial recognition, vans equipped with x-ray machines and more.

spent over $159 million on
    surveillance systems and maintenance since 2007 without public oversight,

made the purchases through a Special Expenses Fund. It didn't need to gain the approval of the NYC Council or other city officials before signing the contracts,

Among the do ents are contracts for
    Palantir,

American Science and Engineering (which provides x-ray vans that can detect weapons in vehicles 1,500 feet away) and

Idemia Solutions, which provides biometric services such as facial recognition.

signed a contract with KeyW Corporation for Stingray cell tower simulators.

Stingrays, also known as international mobile subscriber iden y catchers, spoof cell towers to lure mobile phones into connecting to them.

The devices can then collect data sent by a phone, such as its location.

The NYPD previously admitted it used Stingrays on
    more than a thousand occasions between 2008 and 2015.

https://www.engadget.com/nypd-survei...155039463.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to protect and serve

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This Attorney Took on Chevron.

Then Chevron-Linked Judges and Private Prosecutors Had Him Locked Up.

After spending more than 700 days under house arrest,

a human rights and environmental lawyer was found guilty last month of criminal contempt

in a legal saga that has demonstrated thedeep-rooted conflicts of interests

layered throughout the judicial system when it comes to climate justice.

In Steven Donziger’s conviction, the initial judge who referred him to trial,

the second judge that was asked to lead the trial, and

the private prosecutors

who tried him all had deep ties to Chevron,

the company Donzinger had won a landmark multi-billion dollar ruling against.

successfully secured $9.5 billion in environmental damages for the Amazonian communities in a historic climate justice decision.

Chevron never paid those billions of clean-up dollars to Ecuador,

and instead launched a legal attack on Donziger in the Southern District of New York, where

Judge Lewis A. Kaplan found Donziger guilty of bribery and fraud in a trial without a jury.

Kaplan, a former corporate lawyer, held financial investments in Chevron at the time of the decision.

When Kaplan required Donziger turn in his computer, phone, and other personal devices (including passwords) to the court and thus to Chevron,

and Donziger refused citing violations to attorney-client privilege,

Kaplan charged him with six counts of criminal contempt under Rule 42.

https://www.wonkette.com/mississippi...-total-failure

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Dallas and Tarrant counties, half of all Black children are investigated by CPS by age 18

https://link.dallasnews.com/lt.php?i...8964A76A833460

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a police review board composed 100% of police?

what could go wrong?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Former SAPD officer hospitalized after shootout with deputies in Tennessee

A former San Antonio police officer, who was fired multiple times

by the department for misconduct, was named the suspect in a shootout that left him and a sheriff's deputy hospitalized in Tennessee,

deputies with the Sevier County Sheriff's Office were called to the 300 block of Robeson Road in Wears Valley on July 13 for

a domestic disturbance at the home of former SAPD lieutenant Lee Rakun,

https://www.expressnews.com/news/art...t-16383255.php

Six times, a SAPD lieutenant has been fired. Will he get his job back again?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if strong union representation is good enough for cops, why not for you and me?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (fat, sadistic, racist) cops are human, too.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Looks like the Cop killings stopped. No more protests. Not appearing on the news.

Or was it all just an election time ploy? See you in 15 months for the midterm elections

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More mental care care by cops

Sisters of woman fatally shot by Saugus police say the officer did not have to kill her

Two sisters of a woman who was fatally shot by a Saugus police officer on Saturday said

police knew she had a history of mental illness

and should have refrained from using lethal force.

Stephanie Gerardi, 38, was killed Saturday after she allegedly confronted police in her home while brandishing a knife,

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/16/metro/sisters-woman-fatally-shot-by-saugus-police-say-officers-did-not-have-kill-her/

A knife? that's all I need to see. , you're dead

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feds targeted BLM protesters in attempt to disrupt movement, report says

“The empirical data and findings in this report largely corroborate what Black organizers have long known,"Feds targeted BLM protesters in attempt to disrupt movement, report says

“The empirical data and findings in this report largely corroborate what Black organizers have long known,"

via heavy-handed criminal prosecutions in an attempt to disrupt and discourage the global movement that swept the nation last summer in the wake of the Minneapolis police killing of George Floyd,

Movement leaders and experts said the prosecution of protesters over the past year

continues a century-long practice by the federal government, rooted in structural racism,

to suppress Black social movements via the use of surveillance tactics and other mechanisms.

as the uprisings in the summer of 2020 increased, so did police presence, the deployment of federal agents and prosecution of protesters.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/feds-targeted-blm-protesters-attempt-disrupt-movement-report-says-rcna1717

Last edited by boutons_deux; 08-21-2021 at 05:01 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Police Video Shows Officers Fire Nine Shots at Bijan Ghaisar's Car in Deadly Chase

An expert witness 322-page report has indicated that the police officers knew Ghaisar wasn't the "striking vehicle" suspected in the accident.

dashcam footage of U.S. Park Police officers chasing a driver on a motorway, before walking towards his vehicle and shooting him dead,

The video shows Park Police officers driving in pursuit of Ghaisar's Jeep Grand Cherokee and as he slows down on two occasions,

officers draw their guns to approach his car.

Both times, Ghaisar drives off.

The video ends when the driver slows at a stop sign, at which point one of the Park Police vehicles pulls up in front of his car to box him in.

Officers once again emerge from their vehicles with firearms at the ready.

The Jeep attempts to slowly drive towards the right side of the obstruction and away from the officers when five gunshots are heard.

The car begins to drift into a ditch at the roadside, and two pairs of gunshots are heard again.

https://www.newsweek.com/police-video-shows-officers-fire-nine-shots-bijan-ghaisars-car-deadly-chase-790367

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like the Cop killings stopped. No more protests. Not appearing on the news.

Or was it all just an election time ploy? See you in 15 months for the midterm elections
    today in 4chan conspiracy theories: liberal democrat derek chauvin intentionally murdered a black guy on camera because he was secretly anti-trump and wanted to create a storm in an election year

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

More mental care care by cops

Sisters of woman fatally shot by Saugus police say the officer did not have to kill her

Two sisters of a woman who was fatally shot by a Saugus police officer on Saturday said

police knew she had a history of mental illness

and should have refrained from using lethal force.

Stephanie Gerardi, 38, was killed Saturday after she allegedly confronted police in her home while brandishing a knife,

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/16/metro/sisters-woman-fatally-shot-by-saugus-police-say-officers-did-not-have-kill-her/

A knife? that's all I need to see. , you're dead

instapwned by boutons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    today in 4chan conspiracy theories: liberal democrat derek chauvin intentionally murdered a black guy on camera because he was secretly anti-trump and wanted to create a storm in an election year
    A dear friend of mine once insisted Charles Manson was a political prisoner. I believe he still would.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Charlie Manson never killed anybody, what's he in jail for?"

Thread Information