Page 53 of 150 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 3730
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2412670

Cops in a California town will replace. Batons with Nun chucks.

lol wtf?!!! these guys, man...

So Many Facts That We’ll Never Know About Corey Jones’ Death

One true and tragic fact about the shooting of Corey Jones is that we’ll never know all the facts. Jones is dead, and the only apparent eyewitness is the Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, officer who shot him at 3:15 a.m. on an off-ramp of I-95, where Jones was waiting for a tow truck.

That’s another true and tragic fact — the man was only waiting for a tow truck.

On Thursday Benjamin Crump, the attorney for Jones’ family, said officer Nouman Raja fired six rounds, hitting Jones three times. He said Jones’ body was found 80 to 100 feet from his car, suggesting he had tried to get away, and that his weapon had not been fired.

A national spotlight has been cast on the shooting because Jones, a 31-year-old black man, had no criminal record and was committing no crime at the time the officer stopped.

The handgun in Jones’ possession was legal. He’d purchased it a few days earlier, and the box with the paperwork was still in his car. He might still be alive if he’d been unarmed.

Jones was a housing inspector, a drummer, and a member of his church band. He was on his way home from a gig when his car broke down on the interstate ramp. Raja, dressed in street clothes, rolled up in a white unmarked van.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/so-many-...y-jones-death/

My guess: Jones didn't know the other guy was a cop and ran, and the murderous cop took Jones' gun out of his car and put it with his body.

I'm 100% certain: the police are LYING.

this story is troubling because cory was waiting for AAA to arrive and here comes officer dumbass and kills him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2412670

Cops in a California town will replace. Batons with Nun chucks.

lol wtf?!!! these guys, man...

This is actually a smart move. Nun chucks in the hands of someone trained to use them are much less lethal for the perp than a baton. You can use the chucks as a restraining tool as well as a striking tool. My guess is that this will lower the incidents of police brutality and lessen the incidents where a gun was involved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is actually a smart move. Nun chucks in the hands of someone trained to use them are much less lethal for the perp than a baton. You can use the chucks as a restraining tool as well as a striking tool. My guess is that this will lower the incidents of police brutality and lessen the incidents where a gun was involved.
    lmao. gg this week in fantasy btw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lmao. gg this week in fantasy btw.
    Word. GG. Was a little worried that Ravens would tie it up last night and force OT or give Palmer a chance to add some more points.
    I've got Edleman, Hurns, and Blount on my other FF team. I'm about to drop Blount though. I've already dropped him twice but this is the final straw.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SC student arrested for recording school cop’s violent assault on classmate sitting in her desk

A South Carolina high school student who witnessed her classmate being physically abused by a school resource officer was arrested and held on $1,000 for filming the incident.

Niya Kenny, 18, told WLTX she was shocked and disturbed when she saw Officer Ben Fields flipping her female classmate out of her desk and pinning her to the ground for refusing to leave class.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/sc-s...e+Raw+Story%29

arrested and charged with what crime?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SC student arrested for recording school cop’s violent assault on classmate sitting in her desk

A South Carolina high school student who witnessed her classmate being physically abused by a school resource officer was arrested and held on $1,000 for filming the incident.

Niya Kenny, 18, told WLTX she was shocked and disturbed when she saw Officer Ben Fields flipping her female classmate out of her desk and pinning her to the ground for refusing to leave class.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/sc-s...e+Raw+Story%29

arrested and charged with what crime?

this is bull . not being able to record.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is bull . not being able to record.
    bogus charges may by dropped, but she has an arrest record now. good luck finding even a ty job

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bogus charges may by dropped, but she has an arrest record now. good luck finding even a ty job
    hopefully she can find some legal justice or a settlement

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Senate To Approve Controversial Cybersecurity Bill

Sharing of computer data on cyber threats between the private sector and U.S. government would increase under legislation expected to win Senate approval on Tuesday despite objections of privacy advocates who fear excessive government surveillance.

Two related measures won approval in the House of Representatives earlier this year and must be reconciled with the Senate bill before final legislation goes to President Barack Obama.

Some House leaders have said the Senate language is unlikely to be accepted by the House, suggesting a conference is likely.

Civil libertarians have opposed information-sharing legislation for years, with many warning it will give the National Security Agency and other agencies more access to snoop on Americans' personal data without improving cyber defenses.

The Senate's Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act (CISA) is important to help detect and minimize cyber intrusions, according to the bill's bipartisan backers.

It would make it easier for corporations to share information about cyber attacks with each other or the government without fear of lawsuits.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000003

The police state legalizes itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that privilege

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    classroom videographer Niya said on Chris Hayes the pig is known around the school as "Officer Slam" for how he has abused kids, even pregnant girls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure but the thing thats troubling is that officers don't appeared to be well trained. I've read several stories about where cops go for their taser and, instead, pull their hand gun and actually kill someone they were trying to restrain with nonlethal force.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What he did was horrid, but he did surrender peacefully and he was cooperative after being stopped. However, she refused to leave the classroom when ordered to and then she allegedly struck the officer.

Do we seriously need a civil rights investigation for this?

Clearly a WWE style take down was excessive, but this is too much... It doesn't deserve the coverage it's getting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    classroom videographer Niya said on Chris Hayes the pig is known around the school as "Officer Slam" for how he has abused kids, even pregnant girls.
    That's just an allegation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    she allegedly struck the officer.
    that's just an allegation

do you see her striking the pig in the videos from various angles?

"flailing her arms" after she's attacked criminally is justifiable defense

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Officer SLAM has been fired.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your school is becoming a police state: The shocking, Orwellian rise of “school resource officers”

When a cop attacks a student sitting peacefully in the classroom, we shouldn't be surprised. This is the new normal

For poor children of color, the mouth of the school-to-prison pipeline is manned by police officers who have in recent decades proliferated in districts nationwide. The mass deployment of schools cops, commonly referred to as “school resource officers,” has been made without careful thought or research. And it has produced horrible outcomes.

“Police officers are being used in school for minor misbehavior,” says Aaron Kupchik, a sociologist at the University of Delaware and an expert on school discipline and police. School police officers are justified in the name of preventing serious incidents like shootings, but often end up bringing a law enforcement approach to routine discipline.

“Why was a police officer there to remove a student who wouldn’t leave a classroom?” Kupchik asks. “Cases like this will happen when you introduce police into school environments.”

officers’ widespread presence in schools is tied up in the larger rise of “zero tolerance” policies in recent decades, resulting in the widespread suspension and expulsion of young people, especially of those of color. The number of secondary school students suspended or expelled increased from one in thirteen in 1972–1973 to one in nine in 2009–2010, according to a forthcoming article in the Washington University Law Review by Jason P. Nance, a professor at the University of Florida Levin College of Law.

What’s even more troubling is that a schoolyard fight that would once result in a trip to the principal’s office now often ends in handcuffs.

“Twenty-seven states require school officials to refer students to law enforcement for incidents relating to controlled substances,” Nance explains.

“Fifteen states require referral for incidents involving alcohol. Eight states mandate referral for theft. Eight states for vandalism of school property, and 11 states for robbery without using a weapon.”

Alabama’s statute, he writes, requires school officials to report to law enforcement any “violent disruptive incidents occurring on school property during school hours or during school activities conducted on or off school property after school hours.” In Illinois, school officials must report “each incident of intimidation.”

The number of school police officers rose to 19,900 in 2003, from approximately 12,300 in 1997, according to Nance. The number appears to have remained steady since, though he says that he is not aware of data more recent than 2007.

In the late 1970s, he writes, “there were fewer than one hundred police officers in our public schools.”

According to Kupchik, police officers are most prevalent in schools with high numbers of students of color but are also the norm in heavily white high schools as well.

The country as a whole has allowed “the justice system to have a larger role in our lives and welfare, and I think policing in schools is a part of that overall trend.”

School districts are spending money on deploying police to remove disruptive kids from class and place them into the criminal justice system. Meanwhile, many segregated districts that serve the most marginalized youth of color remain starved for cash. The severe penalties meted out to “failing” schools in the high-stakes testing era creates another unsavory incentive to remove low-performing children.

Just one arrest can be be extraordinarily harmful.

Nance cites a study by criminologist Gary Sweeten that found “a first-time arrest during high school almost doubles the odds that a student will drop out of school, and a court appearance associated with an arrest nearly quadruples those odds.”

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/28/your...urce_officers/

Just another irreversible, unstoppable trend: America is ed and un able.

The American Dream?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's just an allegation

do you see her striking the pig in the videos from various angles?

"flailing her arms" after she's attacked criminally is justifiable defense
    She was not attacked. He was simply trying to remove her from the desk.

Officer SLAM has been fired.
    It's wrong. Just wrong...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure but the thing thats troubling is that officers don't appeared to be well trained. I've read several stories about where cops go for their taser and, instead, pull their hand gun and actually kill someone they were trying to restrain with nonlethal force.
    I actually have thought of a way to fix that. It would be an app that linked to the trigger on their gun. Using the same locking technology as the personal electric gun locks. Anyway, the sensor would be tied in to the mic on a phone or the device itself. Whenever the cop means to pull his taser, he yells, "taser". If he means to pull his gun, he yells, "gun". If the device does not hear the word, "gun", the trigger locks and the gun can't be fired.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the adolescent tin-star sheriff with 4 stars on his collar and a tin ear says: "she started it"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What he did was horrid, but he did surrender peacefully and he was cooperative after being stopped. However, she refused to leave the classroom when ordered to and then she allegedly struck the officer.

Roof murdered nine people and cause a man hunt that crossed state lines. When captured they actually took him to burger king afterwards. Thats insane.

Do we seriously need a civil rights investigation for this?

Clearly a WWE style take down was excessive, but this is too much... It doesn't deserve the coverage it's getting.
    -She did hit him but he clearly overreacted, to me this is essentially what Ray Rice did but worse.

-This only seems to happen to blacks so the coverage is appropriate. People need to see how their treated. Their also significantly more likely to be unarmed and killed or even stopped than whites, despite making up only 13% of the population. Twitter was the cause of the interest by the media. At last check, it was well over 200,000 tweets about it. CNN picked it up and make it its cover story.

The cop, apparently broke her arm. And she may have internal damage ( i heard this on a radio interview with her attorney.) Either way the school system and the PD are vulnerable to a massive lawsuit. The cop has a history of excessive force, that only makes her case stronger.

I don't think their, necessarily needs to be a civil rights investigation but the cop should be charge with assault and have a record as a result.
    Last edited by cd021; 10-29-2015 at 05:05 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cop who shot unarmed black man, 10 times, in Florida gets payed $180,000 from the city for back pay.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/08/us/cha...&iref=obinsite

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crime Lab Scandals Just Keep Getting Worse

Earlier this year, I wrote about a sprawling prosecutorial scandal in Orange County, California, involving a long-standing program of secret jailhouse snitches that had tainted prosecutions in cases almost too numerous to count.

This story has
    only continued to worsen.

One of the prosecutors at the heart of the case simply packed up and
    left California last month, and just this week the news emerged that Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas had been told that his office might have a jailhouse informant problem all the way back in 1999, a full 16 years before the current allegations about the misuse of jailhouse snitches had surfaced.

Perhaps the most dramatic example of a massive scandal that cannot seem to be reversed involves Annie Dookhan, a chemist who worked at a Massachusetts state lab drug analysis unit. Dookhan was sentenced in 2013 to at least three years in prison, after pleading guilty in 2012 to having falsified thousands of drug tests. Among her extracurricular crime lab activities, Dookhan failed to properly test drug samples before declaring them positive, mixed up samples to create positive tests, forged signatures, and lied about her own credentials. Over her nine-year career, Dookhan tested about 60,000 samples involved in roughly 34,000 criminal cases. Three years later, the state of Massachusetts still can’t figure out how to repair the damage she wrought almost single-handedly.

By the close of 2014, despite the fact that there were between 20,000-40,000 so-called “Dookhan defendants” (depending on whether you accept the state’s numbers or the American Civil Liberty Union’s), fewer than 1,200 had filed for postconviction relief. Many of them were sentenced under plea agreements rather than at trial, and they feared that a re-examination of their cases could potentially lead to even longer sentences. So the ACLU of Massachusetts stepped in last spring, filing Bridgeman v. DA of Suffolk County to ensure that no defendants would face harsher penalties if they challenged their Dookhan evidence.

Everyone knows that if you make a mess, you have to pay for it or clean it up. Companies know this, drivers know this—even kids know it. What most people don’t realize is that even in cases where prosecutors’ misconduct or negligence results in gross violations of due process, colossal disruptions of the criminal justice system, or grave threats to public safety, prosecutors remain essentially immune from any real consequences. When the people who wield the most power in the criminal justice system are also the least accountable, cons utional crises like those unfolding in Orange County and Massachusetts are almost inevitable.

Over the past decade, crime lab scandals have plagued at least 20 states, as well as the FBI.

We know that one of the unintended consequences of the war on drugs has been a rush to prosecute and convict and that crime labs have not operated with sufficient independence from prosecutors’ offices in many instances.

Their mistakes ruin lives.

Years of deliberate falsification have ruined thousands of lives.

We also know that there remains almost no reason for a prosecutor’s office to admit error and that the cost of fixing those errors can become prohibitive.

So what do we do when a scandal infects hundreds or thousands of prosecutions? If Massachusetts is any indication, even three years later, we still don’t do all that much.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...and_farak.html

Thread Information