Page 54 of 150 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 3730
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    License Plate Readers Exposed! How Public Safety Agencies Responded to Major Vulnerabilities in Vehicle Surveillance Tech

Law enforcement agencies around the country have been all too eager to adopt mass surveillance technologies, but sometimes they have put little effort into ensuring the systems are secure and the sensitive data they collect on everyday people is protected.

Case in point: automated license plate recognition (ALPR) systems.

Earlier this year, EFF learned that more than a hundred ALPR cameras were exposed online, often with totally open Web pages accessible by anyone with a browser. In five cases,

we were able to track the cameras to their sources:

St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office,
    Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office, and the
    Kenner Police in Louisiana;
    Hialeah Police Department in Florida; and
    the University of Southern California’s public safety department.

These cases are very similar, but unrelated to, major vulnerabilities in Boston’s ALPR network uncovered in September by DigBoston and the Boston Ins ute for Nonprofit Journalism.

Independently, a researcher named Darius Freamon found that you could access the control panels via Telnet and generate statistics about plate captures. Building off Freamon’s work, a team of computer scientists at the University of Arizona dug further into the data and found

vulnerable cameras in
    Washington,
    California,
    Texas,
    Oklahoma,
    Louisiana,
    Mississippi,
    Alabama,
    Florida,
    Virginia,
    Ohio, and
    Pennsylvania. The largest cluster was in southeastern Louisiana.

Alarmingly, these researchers reported:

We were able to observe the number plate information and live images. We were also able to modify the configuration settings.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/1...ponded-massive

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LAPD sergeant who detained 'Django' actress accused of violating ethics rules

A n
    ow-retired Los Angeles police sergeant who drew headlines last year after he detained a "Django Unchained" actress has been accused of violating city ethics rules by leaking an audio recording of the encounter to the media.

In a highly unusual move, city ethics officials accuse Sgt. Jim Parker of violating two rules by disclosing confidential information without authorization and doing so to "create a private advantage for himself,"

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-sergeant-django-actress-20151029-story.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NRA's Ted Nugent On Violent Arrest Of S.C. Student: "Act Like An Animal And You Will End Up Being Treated Like An Animal"

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/10...student/206494

you rabid, ignorant, racist gun fellators have no bottom in how low you can go

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lesbian Couple Says Cop Arrested Them for Kissing in Public

Courtney Wilson and Taylor Guerrero, a lesbian couple from Los Angeles, say they were harassed and thrown in jail by a cop while on vacation in Hawaii—all because he didn’t like the sight of the same-sex couple kissing in public. The two have filed a lawsuit in federal court alleging discrimination, and the Honolulu Police Department says it has opened an internal investigation.

Speaking with Hawaii News Now, the couple said that on the second day of their vacation on Oahu, they stopped in a local grocery store. As they perused the aisles they held hands, and at one point, kissed. That’s when police officer Bobby Harris (who, just for the record, wasn’t on duty, but was shopping while wearing his uniform) allegedly started to badger them.

"He was like, you girls, you girls can't do that in here," according to Guerrero.

The two women claim the officer continued to harangue them, even following them to the checkout counter and threatening to have them arrested for trespassing. The scene escalated when Harrison allegedly grabbed Wilson—who was calling the police on her cell phone—by the wrist.

The two told theChicago Tribune that Harrison got physical, “bumping his belly” against Wilson and stating, “You girls don't know how to act. You don't know the difference between a motel and a grocery store.”

"I got punched in the face by him," Wilson told HNN. "I split my nose open. We were on the ground."

"They took us down to the basement,” says Wilson, “where they continued to harass us about our conduct in the store, asking us if it was worth it, if we were happy where we are.”

The couple faced a felonious charge of assaulting a police officer and spent three days in jail. They say the $1,300 per person they spent on bail exhausted the funds they brought with them to Hawaii. Instead of returning home, the two women were forced to stay in Oahu as a condition of their release. With no money, they say they slept in a park, stayed with friends and even considered going to a homeless shelter. They ended up cleaning vacation rentals for money.

Charges were ultimately dropped, but not before the couple had spent five months on the island to comply with court orders.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/lesbian-couple-says-cop-arrested-them-kissing-public?akid=13613.187590.9KbKha&rd=1&src=newslette r1044925&t=4

goddamit, this ing country sucks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    School Cop Punches 16-Year-Old Student in the Face for Not Having a Hall Pass

A school resource officer was recently arrested after he was caught assaulting a student on a surveillance recording. The student had reportedly been in the hallway without a pass, and after he was confronted by officer Thomas Jaha, he went to get a drink of water.

Since he did not leave the hallway immediately and go directly back to class, Jaha went into a rage and attacked the 16-year old boy. Jaha is now facing a misdemeanor assault charge.

Jaha says that the student took an “aggressive stance” so he began to strike the boy, and it was all caught on the school’s video surveillance camera.

“He struck a student twice in the head after this student got in an aggressive stance and faced the master sergeant,” Capt. Paco Balderrama of the Oklahoma City Police Department said.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/school-cop-punches-16-year-old-student-face-not-having-hall-pass?akid=13613.187590.9KbKha&rd=1&src=newsletter1 044925&t=12

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas Student Spent 52 Days in a Coma After Being Tased by Police at School

In one of the most shocking cases of police brutality inside a school, 17-year-old Noe Nińo de Rivera spent 52 days in a medically induced coma after police tased him at school in November 2013. He was permanently brain injured. Last year Bastrop County in Texas settled a federal lawsuit for $775,000 with his family.

This was a horrific incident of excessive force. Noe was a young man, about 17 years old, in a county south of Austin, and he was in a hallway in Bastrop High School, and there was a fight that broke out between his girlfriend and another girl, two females. Noe was the peacemaker. He was breaking up the fight. This was shown clearly on the video. But two school resource officers came up to him, pushed him out of the way, and one school resource officer pulled his Taser and tased him in the middle of the hallway. Noe fell back, slammed his head and then had to be put in a medically induced coma for 52 days. It was a horrific display of violence. It was much worse than we're seeing on the video here in South Carolina.

But there's a lot of similarities. The officer in question here in Austin - or in Bastrop, had had a history of violence against students. He was not properly trained. And the school did not have any sort of regulations on how to deal with school resource officers. So the themes are very consistent. And I would submit it's a growing crisis in this country, in American schools, of violence toward students.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/3...lice-at-school

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SWAT Teams Kill Unarmed Hookah Shop Owner and Two Others

A SWAT team member in Ohio shot and killed an unarmed businessman, and SWAT teams in South Carolina and Mississippi killed two more people in drug enforcement on the same day this week. Just business as usual in the war on drugs. There is also news on some past drug war killings.

This month's drug war killings bring the Drug War Chronicle's count of people killed in US domestic drug law enforcement operations so far this year to 49. The figure only includes people who died as a direct result of the drug war--not, for example, people killed in drug turf wars or people who died of drug overdoses.

• In Ohio, 27-year-old Omar Ali died October 5, two weeks after he was shot and wounded by a SWAT officer during a September raid on his Akron hookah store. Police were investigating Ali for drug sales when they broke down the door to his business, then encountered him in the main room of his shop. Police said they ordered him to put his hands up, but he allegedly refused those commands and reached toward the back of his waistband. The unnamed SWAT officer then shot him. Police found no weapon in his waistband. What they did find was 2.8 grams of heroin and five doses of Suboxone hidden in his butt-crack.
    • In Florida, a Jacksonville Sheriff's Office SWAT team shot and killed an armed drug suspect during a residential drug raid Wednesday afternoon. The dead man has not yet been named. Police said they were preparing to break down the door to the home when they encountered the man armed with a hand gun. He allegedly turned to confront them, and was then shot and killed by Officer Nicholas Rodgers. The dead suspect didn't fire a shot. Police said they found cocaine and more guns when they searched the residence.
    • In Mississippi, a drug suspect was killed and a deputy wounded during a Monroe County SWAT drug raid Wednesday morning. The dead man has not yet been identified. Sheriff Cecil Cantrell explained that it all began with a traffic stop: "Basically, we did a traffic stop on a vehicle and he had quite a bit of drugs in there, ice (crystal meth)," Cantrell said. "We talked to him and asked him where he got the drugs, and he told us where he bought them. And we got a search warrant and went down to this gentleman's house. When we got there the SWAT team went down to the house. When they got to the back door, he opened the door and started shooting, wounded one of my deputies. The deputies shot back. Those were seasoned deputies who were on that SWAT team, and they had no choice but to shoot back. And that person is deceased now."

Please note that in all three cases, as in many other cases of drug war violence, the only account available is that from police.

Meanwhile, there is also news on a pair of earlier cases of drug war deaths.

• In California, the El Centro Police and four named officers are being suedover the 2012 death of Charles Sampson during a drug investigation. A police body camera video picked up police threatening to arrest Sampson and his family members if he didn't tell them where he had hidden drugs. Police also said a drug dog had alerted on the residence, but they later revised that statement, and they didn’t find any drugs in the house. Sampson became ill, apparently after ingesting methamphetamine, but when family members called 911 for an ambulance, police told the dispatcher to ignore all calls from the house because Sampson was "putting on a show." Only two hours later was Sampson taken to a hospital, and only because a police officer ignored instructions to take him to jail. The lawsuit goes to trial in May 2016.
    • And in South Carolina, prosecutors declined to file criminal chargesagainst the police officer who shot and killed unarmed teenager Zachary Hammond during a pot bust in July. Hammond was the driver of a car parked at a fast food restaurant, and the girl in the passenger seat had just arranged a pot deal with a person who turned out to be an undercover cop. When the cops pulled up, Hammond began to attempt to drive away and was shot twice by Officer Mark Tiller. Tiller claimed self-defense, although video showed Hammond's car already passing Tiller when he opened fire. But Solicitor Chrissy Adams said Tiller would face no charges.

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/cops-k...er1044976&t=16

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prosecutor: We'll test DNA if we can still execute you, anyway

Montgomery County DA Brett Ligon "said his office has offered to do the additional DNA testing since 2013 - if Swearingen's attorneys' would agree the findings would not alter the outcome of the case."

So, he's willing to have DNA testing performed so long as Swearingen can still be executed if he turns out to be innocent ... the mind reels!

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/2015/10/prosecutor-well-test-dna-if-we-can.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prosecutor: We'll test DNA if we can still execute you, anyway

Montgomery County DA Brett Ligon
    But who does Ricky Bobby Brett Ligon stick up for?

...constables barged into her home in 2011 with a crew from the "Texas Takedown" Internet reality show and arrested her for marijuana possession.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/No...wn-6598955.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LAPD sergeant who detained 'Django' actress accused of violating ethics rules

A n
    ow-retired Los Angeles police sergeant who drew headlines last year after he detained a "Django Unchained" actress has been accused of violating city ethics rules by leaking an audio recording of the encounter to the media.

In a highly unusual move, city ethics officials accuse Sgt. Jim Parker of violating two rules by disclosing confidential information without authorization and doing so to "create a private advantage for himself,"

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-sergeant-django-actress-20151029-story.html
    Tough crap. The Django actress was trying to use the media to frame him to get out of her crime.
    He did what he had to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lesbian Couple Says Cop Arrested Them for Kissing in Public
    and the other side of the story.....with video and photos and interview with eyewitness.

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -
    An eyewitness is disputing the accounts of a lesbian couple at the center of a discrimination lawsuit that alleges a Honolulu police officer arrested them because they were kissing.

The woman, who asked not to be identified because she feared retaliation, said she was in the Pupukea Foodland in March when the women were arrested and says the women's actions were inappropriate.

Meanwhile, in court testimony, the officer who arrested them said he tried to get the women out of the store because he believed the women were being "lewd," and that the couple was subsequently hostile.

The eyewitness said she doesn't believe Harrison was discriminating against the couple, but intervening because they were being inappropriate.

"There was French kissing. Their shorts were really short. They were grabbing bottoms and lifting shirts," she said.
    She said she was appalled by what she saw in the aisles of the grocery store.

In court testimony, Harrison said he saw the women from 30 feet away. "I noticed the two defendants were in an embrace with one another. Inappropriately all over each other in a long, heated kiss in the back of the store," he said. "After I told them to stop I walked toward them because they wouldn't stop. In my opinion it was lewd conduct in what they were doing. I wouldn't want my children to see that."

Wilson and Guerrero dispute the officer's claims, saying they were being affectionate but not lewd.
    "I spun her around and we were holding each other like this and you know we were just talking," Wilson said. "We just had a moment and we kissed. Kissed on my cheek. Spun her around and continued walking down the aisle."

Harrison testified that he approached the couple again at the register, telling them that the store was going to have them warned for trespassing. The witness backs up those claims: "He was asking them to go. You're drawing to much attention, you're causing a scene just leave the store and they chose not to do that," she said.

Wilson called 911 to report the officer for harassment.

"The officer told me to step into another line. I was on the phone with 911 and that's when she told the officer f... you," Wilson said.

Harrison acknowledged the moment: "I said excuse me. She repeated f*** off. I told her you don't talk to a policeman like that."

The witness said she didn't know that a call to 911 had been made, but saw the officer try to take something out of Wilson's hand. That's when the scuffle broke out, she said.
    "I can't remember if it was an open hand or a punch but she got him right in the face," the witness said.

Wilson described the encounter this way: "He was choking her out like this with his hand backwards. I came over and I tried to shove him off of her. He was a big man. He's not moving. The officer did get hit. I broke his sunglasses. He did get hit in the face. That's when I got hit in the face."

The officer denied striking or choking either woman.
    Defense attorneys say the case was dropped by prosecutors after the Foodland surveillance videos disappeared and they made a motion that would force the officer back under oath.

To read the lawsuit, click here.
    http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...ssing-in-store
    Copyright 2015 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Pssssh. Why did the surveillance video *disappear*?
    Last edited by MultiTroll; 10-31-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Police Unions Sustain Police Violence Epidemic

Since when did we decide that police officers should be above the law?
    wo of the biggest police unions in the country are now on record in opposition to free speech. They are on record against cons utionally protected free speech that opposes the epidemic of police violence across America (more than 900 killed by police so far in 2015).

The current round of police union intimidation tactics started October 24, after filmmaker Quentin Tarantino spoke briefly to the “Rise Up October” protest, a “Call for a Major National Manifestation Against Police Terror.” The crowd of thousands marched peacefully up Sixth Avenue for two miles and included some 100 families impacted by police violence and killing. Police unions have reacted with violent rhetoric to Tarantino’s brief “speech,” which offered a non-specific truism (here in its entirety):

“Hey, everybody. I got something to say, but actually I would like to give my time to the families that want to talk. I want to give my time to the families. However, I just do also want to say: What am I doing here? I’m doing here because I am a human being with a conscience. And when I see murder, I cannot stand by, and I have to call the murdered the murdered, and I have to call the murderers the murderers. Now I’m going to give my time to the families.” [emphasis added]

The event centered on victims of police violence [video]. There is no doubt that police have killed unarmed, innocent people. There is no doubt that a few cops have been convicted of murder. The reality of police violence is beyond dispute and longstanding. It goes with the territory, and responsible police leaders everywhere know perfectly well that part of their job is not only to keep their officers safe, but also, and arguably more important, to keep the public safe from their officers. The question is why they do so little about police violence.

In the aftermath of the Rise Up October rally, there were a reported 11 arrests, two of which on video show gangs of police roughing up single, unresisting men. Even though the demonstration was peaceful and had a lawful parade permit, police turned out in force. No police officers were reported hurt, except for their feelings.

Police union goes ad hominem with attack on First Amendment

The day after the rally, Patrick Lynch, president of the New York police union (Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association) went on the offensive, as he often does. He ignore the vast substance of the Rise Up October group and chose instead to make an ad hominem personal attack on Hollywood director Tarantino and his right to free speech.

Lynch’s press release in its entirety:

“It’s no surprise that someone who makes a living glorifying crime and violence is a cop-hater, too. The police officers that Quentin Tarantino calls ‘murderers’ aren’t living in one of his depraved big screen fantasies — they’re risking and sometimes sacrificing their lives to protect communities from real crime and mayhem. New Yorkers need to send a message to this purveyor of degeneracy that he has no business coming to our city to peddle his slanderous ‘Cop Fiction.’ It’s time for a boycott of Quentin Tarantino’s films.”

Actually the police officers that Tarantino calls “murderers” are in fact murderers, which is why Tarantino called them murderers – because, although they are but a small percentage of the total police cohort, they have murdered people, mostly without significant consequence to themselves. On October 30, Lynch sent another press release featuring Tarantino’s father saying, “Cops are not murderers, they are heroes,” which is the police union party line. In reality, it should go without saying, most cops are neither murderers nor heroes. Like the first press release, this one also ignored the complaints of police brutality, but it omitted the proposed boycott, too.

Whistling much the same tune, Rupert Murdoch’s tabloid, the New York Post, covered the protest with open hostility. The paper made the editorial choice to run a picture of a demonstrator giving a cop the finger. And its story suggested that years of police violence were somehow beyond objection because a police officer was recently killed in the line of duty, even though there was no connection between the recent murder and the years of police abuse:

“Just four days after the on-duty murder of a hero NYPD street cop, a rally in Washington Square Park against ‘police terror’ devolved Saturday into a raucous, law-enforcement gripe-fest.”

Los Angeles police claim victimhood, too, and backs boycott

Craig Lally, president of the LA police union, the Los Angeles Police Protective League, jumped on the boycott Tarantino bandwagon on October 27 in a somewhat more nuanced press release [in its entirety]:

“We fully support constructive dialogue about how police interact with citizens. But there is no place for inflammatory rhetoric that makes police officers even bigger targets than we already are. Film director Quentin Tarantino took irresponsibility to a new and completely unacceptable level this past weekend by referring to police as murderers during an anti-police march in New York. He made this statement just four days after a New York police officer was gunned down in the line of duty. New York police and union leaders immediately called out Tarantino for his unconscionable comments, with union head Patrick Lynch advocating a boycott of his films. We fully support this boycott of Quentin Tarantino films. Hateful rhetoric dehumanizes police and encourages attacks on us. And questioning everything we do threatens public safety by discouraging officers from putting themselves in positions where their legitimate actions could be falsely portrayed as thuggery.”

While this statement begins with support for “constructive dialogue about how police interact with citizens,” that very formulation betrays an imagined dichotomy between “police” and “citizens.” Police need to think of themselves as our fellow citizens. Worse, Lally immediately moves into his own unconstructive dialogue, mischaracterizing what Tarantino said, launching another ad hominem attack on Tarantino, and completely evading the substance of the Rise Up October protest.

Worst of all, Lally reinforces the police-as-victim trope, which is a form of psychological denial. It’s not “inflammatory rhetoric that makes police officers even bigger targets,” its inflammatory behavior by police officers. Given the spate of police horrors since 1999, when NY police shot unarmed Amadou Diallo 41 times, it’s fair to wonder why police departments everywhere aren’t showing a whole lot more humility. Instead, the NY chief of police has given one of the four killers his gun back (after all four were found not guilty by a jury).

Amadou Diallo’s mother, Katiatoo Diallo, was a speaker in the Rise Up October protest. What she said was in stark and humane contrast to the whining victimhood of the police unions:

“We are not bitter. I told the world then, the day when they stood up and told me that the four cops who shot my son had done nothing wrong, that it was the fault of my son, I said to you, I say to you now, I said it then: We need change. Amadou has died. It’s too late for him. But we have to prevent this from happening again. When you have tragedies like that, you need to learn what went wrong and correct it….

“Law enforcement community should know that we are not against them. We even feel for those who were shot just recently in Harlem. We are not against them. We are anti-police brutality. We are not anti-cop, because we know some of them are doing good job. But we need to root out those who are brutalizing our children for no reason.”

What should a police union be doing, anyway?

The core issue with police unions, teacher unions, and all other public employee unions is how to manage the inherent tension between the good of union members and the good of the public that pays their salaries. Police unions, because their members are empowered to use lethal force, should be especially sensitive to the public perception of what is in the public good. That is almost never going to include killing innocent, unarmed civilians.

In December 2014, NY police union head Lynch actually blamed innocent, unarmed civilians for the ambush assassination of two police officers by a lone gunman. It was a breath-taking manipulation of reality and defiance of both logic and authority:

There is blood on many hands tonight — those that incited violence on the streets under the guise of protest, that tried to tear down what New York police officers did every day. That blood on the hands starts on the steps of City Hall, in the office of the mayor….”

These comments set the stage for a symbolic police mutiny, as officers turned their backs on New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio at a press conference dealing with the assassination ambush. This is a direct challenge to civil order, open defiance of the mayor’s lawful authority over the police. And it is a gesture of arrogance, not only against non-violent protests of police killing, but in support of an above-the-law right to continue to execute civilians more or less randomly.

Who is more deserving of protection, police or public?

The same day as the Rise Up October protest, The New York Times ran a front page story about FBI Director James B. Comey telling a Chicago Law School audience that increased scrutiny of police violence have led to an increase in violent crime, a theory for which he admitted he has no data. The data available does not support the claim.

But Comey’s perception of “a chill wind that has blown through American law enforcement over the last year” is just a more sophisticated whine than the police unions use.

For the head of the FBI to defend police officers from scrutiny for their actions, especially their violent or lethal actions, is little more than a defense of police criminality. As the Times reported:

“Mr. Comey said that he had been told by many police leaders that officers who would normally stop to question su ious people are opting to stay in their patrol cars for fear of having their encounters become worldwide video sensations. That hesitancy has led to missed opportunities to apprehend suspects, he said, and has decreased the police presence on the streets of the country’s most violent cities.”

Wait a minute, that’s pure sophistry. If you have police officers afraid of becoming viral video villains, then you have police officers who are tacitly admitting that they are likely to behave illegally if not lethally. Police officers who act properly make boring videos that don’t go viral.

The Times did not cover any of the Rise Up October activities. But it did re-publish the FBI chief story on October 30, with the additional comment: “It’s not clear why Mr. Comey decided to wade into this issue now.”

On October 18, the Times ran a story in the business section based on FBI statistics of police killings. The story notes that the available data strongly shows pervasive racial bias in many areas of American life. Police behavior is no exception:

“The data is unequivocal. Police killings are a race problem: African-Americans are being killed disproportionately and by a wide margin.”

The same persistent pattern of racial bias in police traffic stops was found in North Carolina statistics, as reported by a long analysis in the Times October 25 – “The Disproportionate Risk of Driving While Black.”

The evidence of racial bias in American life remains powerful and its effects are cruel and unusual. Perhaps the nation is less bigoted than it was in the past, but it remains a long way from being a place where all people are treated equally. And one of the grosser reasons for perpetual racial oppression is the willingness of powerful police unions to deny reality and blame the victims. Police unions need to reflect on the healing words of Kadiatou Diallo and put aside their bitterness. Police unions need to protect and serve the public, not the perpetrators of violence and death.

How about: if you’re not careful enough to identify a toy gun in the hands of a child before you shoot to kill, then you’re not careful enough to be an armed police officer. That seems like a pretty low bar.

http://readersupportednews.org/opini...lence-epidemic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if cops are out of control more reason to have guns to protect your rights

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Incompetent Cops Arrest Innocent Deaf Woman, Kidnap, Sedate, and Humiliate Her

Even though cops were on the scene for 45 minutes, they never bothered to request for a translator.

After an NYPD officer lied about a deaf woman’s disability and refused to provide a legally mandated translator before wrongfully arresting her, the woman reached a $750,000 settlement this week. Although the inept cop was responsible for wrongfully arresting the deaf woman and violating the Americans With Disabilities Act, taxpayers will bear the burden of the settlement instead of the incompetent officer.

On September 11, 2011, Diana Williams and her husband, Chris Williams, who are both deaf, attempted to evict tenants who had failed to pay rent. After the tenant’s boyfriend allegedly gestured that he had a gun, Chris called for the police using a video relay service that should have tipped off the dispatcher to send a translator along with the responding officers. When NYPD arrived at the scene without a translator, they began questioning the people that could talk while ignoring the deaf people.

Although several deaf tenants in the building offered to translate for Williams, who cannot hear, speak English, or read lips, Romano rejected their help and decided to arrest her based on the false account from the tenant’s boyfriend.

After cuffing Williams’ hands behind her back, Romano was unable to explain the arrest to her deaf family members before taking her away. Although Williams clearly needed an interpreter, Romano checked the “No” box on the arrest report asking if an interpreter was required. He also checked “No” on separate paperwork asking if Williams had a disability.

In a deposition, Romano falsely insisted that he spoke with Williams – who cannot hear, speak English, or read lips – before arresting her.

At Richmond University Hospital, Williams was able to communicate with an interpreter who agreed to tell the cops her side of the story. In response, one of the officers reportedly signed, “Bull .”

After spending the night in handcuffs, Williams was returned to the hospital where her breathing continued to get worse. Instead of giving her access to another interpreter, Williams was injected with a sedative and awoke again at the precinct. Held for 24 hours, she was finally released without charges.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-libert...-humiliate-her

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AP: HUNDREDS OF OFFICERS LOSE LICENSES OVER SEX MISCONDUCT

In a yearlong investigation of sexual misconduct by U.S. law enforcement, The Associated Press uncovered about 1,000 officers who lost their badges in a six-year period for rape, sodomy and other sexual assault; sex crimes that included possession of child pornography; or sexual misconduct such as propositioning citizens or having consensual but prohibited on-duty intercourse.

The number is unquestionably an undercount because it represents only those officers whose licenses to work in law enforcement were revoked, and not all states take such action. California and New York - with several of the nation's largest law enforcement agencies - offered no records because they have no statewide system to decertify officers for misconduct. And even among states that provided records, some reported no officers removed for sexual misdeeds even though cases were identified via news stories or court records.

"It's happening probably in every law enforcement agency across the country," said Chief Bernadette DiPino of the Sarasota Police Department in Florida, who helped study the problem for the International Association of Chiefs of Police. "It's so underreported and people are scared that if they call and complain about a police officer, they think every other police officer is going to be then out to get them."

Even as cases around the country have sparked a national conversation about excessive force by police, sexual misconduct by officers has largely escaped widespread notice due to a patchwork of laws, piecemeal reporting and victims frequently reluctant to come forward because of their vulnerabilities - they often are young, poor, struggling with addiction or plagued by their own checkered pasts.

In interviews, lawyers and even police chiefs told the AP that some departments also stay quiet about improprieties to limit liability, allowing bad officers to quietly resign, keep their certification and sometimes jump to other jobs.

The officers involved in such wrongdoing represent a tiny fraction of the hundreds of thousands whose jobs are to serve and protect. But their actions have an outsized impact - miring departments in litigation that leads to costly settlements, crippling relationships with an already wary public and scarring victims with a special brand of fear.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...11-01-00-01-48

no problem, disgraced, fired, "retired" police simply work for local Oath Keeper sheriff.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ex-L.A. County sheriff's sergeant sentenced to 8 years in prison in jail visitor beating

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...102-story.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a cop speaks:

David Clarke Calls Obama A 'Heartless, Soulless Bas ' For Sticking Up For 'Goons' Like Freddie Gray And Eric Garner

David Clarke, the sheriff of Milwaukee County and a rising media star on the Right, claimed yesterday that President Obama is a “heartless, soulless bas ” because he has spoken out about “goons” and “criminal creep[s]” who have been killed by law enforcement officers, falsely claiming that the president had not spoken out about the recent shooting death of a New York City police officer.

Clarke launched into the rant on his weekly program on Glenn Beck’s The Blaze radio network, declaring that “black-on-black crime is a human rights abuse and should be investigated as such by the United Nations” and that “black criminal abuse, black criminal brutality” is “the real brutality going on in the United States,” not police brutality.

He lit into a New York judge who had sentenced the police officer’s killer to rehab rather than prison time for a recent drug crime, calling her a “criminal-coddling, criminal-advocating, empathy-for-the-criminal, de able human being.”

“By the way, we still have not heard from President Obama, that heartless, soulless bas who wastes no time taking to the microphone to stick up for a criminal creep like Mike Brown, like Eric Garner, like Freddie Gray, like Trayvon Martin and communicating empathy for those goons and yet he has to be prodded, he has to be prodded to say something when a law enforcement officer is killed in the line of duty,” Clarke continued. In fact, Obama spoke about the slain officer, Randolph Holder, to a gathering of police chiefs last week.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/david-clarke-calls-obama-heartless-soulless-bas -sticking-goons-freddie-gray-and-eric-gar

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    77-Year-Old Blind Man Calls 911 for Help, Cop Shows Up, Beats & Arrests Him for No Reason

“Philip White missed his bus to the mountains, when he asked Greyhound staff for help in catching the next bus home, he was told by a security guard he was trespassing and had to leave the Greyhound Bus Depot,” said White’s attorney Mari Newman. “This is a Master’s Degree holder and long-time educator who was set upon with excessive force as police violated his civil rights, all over a bus ticket.”

After being told to leave, White declined and then called the police. Officer Kyllion Chafin of the notoriously brutal Denver police department showed up.

Though White had placed the call to police, Chafin escalated the situation to violence. White, who did not know Chafin was a police officer since he couldn't see him, asked to feel Chafin’s badge to confirm he was an officer.

“He told me ‘You aren’t touching me,’” said White.

According to KDVR,

The cop grabbed his arms, forcing them behind him, then cuffed him so tightly he suffered nerve damage in his fingers — or eyes, for him. He was then slammed into the ticket counter leaving his head bleeding.

When Sgt. Bob Wykoff arrived, instead of trying to defuse the situation and offer the blind man help, without reading White his Miranda Rights, he began to videotape a bus station interrogation without White’s consent.

White was then brought to the downtown jail where he sat for eight hours before police realized they had no reason to keep him. He was then released, bloodied and bruised, without charges.

“I thought they would have killed me if they thought they could get away with it,” said White. “I always trusted cops, but now my confidence in them is shaken. I felt so bad I wanted to leave the USA.”

On Friday, Denver taxpayers were held liable for Chafin’s violence. A
    jury awarded White $100,000 in compensatory damages and $300,000 in punitive damages.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-libert...-him-no-reason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anonymous threatened to release 1000 KKK members iden ies. Starting on November 5th.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/anon...lease-its-own/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What he did was horrid, but he did surrender peacefully and he was cooperative after being stopped. However, she refused to leave the classroom when ordered to and then she allegedly struck the officer.

Do we seriously need a civil rights investigation for this?

Clearly a WWE style take down was excessive, but this is too much... It doesn't deserve the coverage it's getting.
    trying to talk rationally in this thread

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trying to talk rationally in this thread
    the main irrationality is from you rightwingnut, cop-sucking assholes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Busted: Arkansas cop admits he shot himself and blamed Hispanic man at traffic stop

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/bust...e+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PD sued for shooting man to death, for sleeping in his car.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0411d306eb45d

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...103-story.html

Sheriff pulls over woman, then rapes her. Tax payers on the hook for $6 million.

Thread Information