Page 7 of 150 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Digital threats are finally being taken seriously — as long as they’re against police

A number of American citizens have been arrested for threatening the lives of police officers on social forums such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube’s comment section.

It’s clear police departments around the country are taking threats against officers seriously after two New York Police Department officers
    were murdered in December. But it’s not clear why the companies behind social networks are taking these threats more seriously than the rampant digital harassment against private citizens.

So there’s little direct connection, at least in this case, between online threats against police and actual efforts to kill officers or terrorize other law enforcement officials. The arrest of these three men is then justified only by the government’s decision to take the threats more seriously regardless of their veracity or of the three men’s true intentions.

If that’s the case, shouldn’t threats against citizens lead to similar arrests? Shouldn’t the bomb threat against the Utah State University have led to an arrest? How about the threats which drove two female game developers from their homes last October? If digital threats against cops are a crime worth pursuing, these threats should be, too.

Yet in many cases, it seems threats, especially against women, aren’t taken seriously. Amanda Hess wrote in the Pacific Standard almost a year ago about why women aren’t welcome on the Internet, and she discusses in her report the time a police officer who was questioning her about a threat on Twitter asked her what, exactly, Twitter was.

Now it seems many police departments do indeed know what Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube are, and they are taking threats published to those networks quite seriously, at least when officers are the targets. One wonders how long it will be before the near-constant online threats against women and other groups are regarded just as seriously.

http://pando.com/2015/01/02/digital-...gainst-police/

Confirms that the cops overwhelming priority is to protect themselves, then comes instant escalation to brutality and killing, and finally "to serve and protect" citizens.

Just more EVIDENCE that America is ed and un able (esp by the authoritarian/surveillance state and its immune-to-prosecution enforcers)

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although I will admit the job probably attracts more authoritarian types, it still has not been made clear what the American people want out of their police forces. They are in a very tough situation. We live in a country loaded with guns. So our Cops can't just prance into a domestic dispute like in England and sit everyone down and maybe remove a few drunk family members for the night.

Its a very tough job not made any easier by a divided public. Perfectly reasonable protests turning into business smashing? The local community workers who call the protesters up also bear responsibility knowing these situations will attract thugs. They can't flippantly organize a protest and expect the police to take care of the mixed bag they KNOW will be attracted. The responsibility can't be shirked off or even used as a threat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there have been and will continue to be so many police video brutalities where the police were NOT endangered but brutalized or killed anyway. THAT's what people object to.

current one is WHITE guy, was running away, stopped, put his hands up, getting on ground prone, hands behind his back, but police kick him in the head anyway.

yes, the gun industry's self-enriching push to flood the country with 300M+ unregulated guns behind the BALD LIE of the 2nd Amendment puts the police at risk. The gun industry and its gun fellating customers have a LOT of blood on their hands.

The police seem to be for stronger gun regulation, but they probably love that blacks shoot so many more blacks than they shoot police, blacks shoot even more blacks than the police shoot.

then throw in the 40K+ per year SWAT invasions, like to a barber shop over a barber license, ruining a baby in the wrong aparment with flash-bang grenades, etc, etc.

then throw in the the heavy MILITARIZATION against unarmed citizens

and then throw in almost bullet-proof immunity from jailing, even from prosecution (as bullet proof as bankers), for the police's many crimes and killings.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 01-05-2015 at 12:43 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boo, just kill yourself and get it over with.

This world is simply too cruel for you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boo, just kill yourself and get it over with.

This world is simply too cruel for you.
    see, lotsa money has ed you up bad, GFY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is lucky he had cameras set up in his shop or he'd probably be in prison right now. You have to wonder how often this kind of ty police work happens.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...st-4468170.php

damn, thats crazy. hopefully with enough digging/questioning they can find out which officer the informant was working with

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there have been and will continue to be so many police video brutalities where the police were NOT endangered but brutalized or killed anyway. THAT's what people object to.

current one is WHITE guy, was running away, stopped, put his hands up, getting on ground prone, hands behind his back, but police kick him in the head anyway.

yes, the gun industry's self-enriching push to flood the country with 300M+ unregulated guns behind the BALD LIE of the 2nd Amendment puts the police at risk. The gun industry and its gun fellating customers have a LOT of blood on their hands.

The police seem to be for stronger gun regulation, but they probably love that blacks shoot so many more blacks than they shoot police, blacks shoot even more blacks than the police shoot.

then throw in the 40K+ per year SWAT invasions, like to a barber shop over a barber license, ruining a baby in the wrong aparment with flash-bang grenades, etc, etc.

then throw in the the heavy MILITARIZATION against unarmed citizens

and then throw in almost bullet-proof immunity from jailing, even from prosecution (as bullet proof as bankers), for the police's many crimes and killings.

Thats what reasonable people object to once the entire situation is made clear. One cannot necessarily take a snippet of an event and judge it without context of before and after.

The Swat stuff has its origins in cops being outgunned by drug dealers. The high speed chases putting innocents at risk have been curtailed with better survelliance and command and control centers coordinating capture at much lower speeds. I'm sure we can get smarter with thug groups getting a hold deadlier weaponry.

This still does not address the fact that our public is divided over the role of our police.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol... "thats what people object to"

my ass. people object to everything the police do even when facts are unknown, hence the countless "hands up dont shoot' protests which STILL happen today

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    You have to divide police critics into two camps: those who will object to the cops no matter what they do, justified or not (the hands up don't shoot crowd), and those seriously concerned about official police policy/training regarding use of force as being wildly unjustifiable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to divide police critics into two camps: those who will object to the cops no matter what they do, justified or not (the hands up don't shoot crowd), and those seriously concerned about official police policy/training regarding use of force as being wildly unjustifiable.
    this. my issue is that boutons clearly is in the first camp you described. months before the grand jury proceedings, he was on the "i hope wilson gets a life sentence" wagon... when virtually nothing was known about the case

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "boutons clearly is in the first camp you described"

You Lie, You Slander.

Police have their role, but they have perverted it into militarized, everybody's-a-suspect, instant-escalation, brutal authoritarianism.

eg, hear Julie Annie saying citizens should always yield to the police no matter what. I'm sure every policeman in USA agrees.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 01-05-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    then there is the repulsive moral hazard of cops financing themselves with tickets, fines, civil forfeitures.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You Lie, You Slander.
    no, i don't.

you never even entertained the possibility that Brown went for Wilson's gun in the car

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You Lie, You Slander.

Police have the role, but they have perverted it into militarized, everybody's-a-suspect, instant-escalation, brutal authoritarianism.

eg, hear Julie Annie saying citizens should always yield to the police no matter what. I'm sure every policeman in USA agrees.

I seriously hope you give the next cop that pulls you over a ration of and hopefully he beats the out of you.

Yeah, everyone SHOULD yield to the police if they have any sense.

If the cops are out of line and it's a bad arrest that's what the judge is for, but when you are on the street you better damn well play by their rules or expect to suffer the consequences.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston Cop Calls Guy ‘N-Word,’ Beats Uber Driver, Steals His Car. Because ‘Boston’

According to a police report obtained by DigBoston of events that began at 2:45am, two responding officers answered a radio call “that a taxi driver had been beaten by a passenger at E 1st @ Farragut Rd.” in South Boston.

It all started when the driver “picked up a white male … who was with [another] unknown white male at 200 Hanover St.” in the North End.

He then “drove the unknown white male to Charlestown and was then asked to take [the second white male] to E 2nd in South Boston.”

But when they arrived at that address, the “suspect stated they were in the wrong location.”

The “suspect then stated ‘[You] think I’m stupid you ing ’ and told the victim to continue driving.”

With the car stopped at E 2nd and M Street, the report says “the suspect began hitting the victim.” The Uber driver said he then removed his seatbelt and exited the vehicle, only for the suspect to begin “chasing the victim around the motor vehicle.”

With the victim “attempting to stop passing traffic to assist him,” an “unknown black male” lent a hand. “When the victim went toward the male that stopped to assist him, the suspect entered the [victim’s]” car and drove off.

The victim then entered the vehicle of the assisting black male “and they followed the suspect,” who was driving the Uber toward Farragut Road, “where the suspect stopped.”

Once outside the stolen taxi, the suspect “approached both the victim and the male assisting and stated to the black male ‘[What] do you want you ing ******’ and began swinging at both parties.”

In the process the “suspect knocked the victim to the ground and began hitting him and the assisting male attempted to pull him off. They all struggled until the suspect observed blue police lights coming in their direction.”

The suspect then “stopped fighting and began to walk away.” At which point two MassPort police officers “arrived on the scene and the suspect walked away.” The Uber driver pointed at the suspect, but according to the police report he made an “escape” up P Street.

At Doherty’s arraignment, he had s ches framing a black eye and a sling cradling his arm, and his attorney claimed his injuries showed that Doherty was in fact “the victim and not the perpetrator.”

Read more at http://wonkette.com/571137/boston-co...3h46L6y2yJl.99

So many bad apples, the entire barrel is suspect.

My guess is that policing attracts, bullies, sadists, xenophbes, racists, wife-beaters, less, killers, murderers, your typical Repug base.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cops Break Woman’s Ribs for ‘Disrespect’ Over Incident Involving a Truck

Mary Frances Jones told the Victoria Advocate that the three police officers woke her up early in the morning on Dec. 22, 2013 over reports that a truck that she had purchased the day before had been seen driving in a local creek.

Jones said that she had been unaware at the time that her sons borrowed the truck while she was sleeping. After officers claimed that she was lying about owning the truck, Jones said she tried to go back inside her home, and that’s when they forced her to the ground.

“One of them had his foot on my arm, and the other kicked me and broke my ribs,” she recalled. “They hurt me. They hurt me bad, and they know they did.”

According to Jones, she had to plead no contest to a charge of disorderly conduct-vulgar language so that she could go to the hospital. Her fiance, 50-year-old Mathew Milberger and two sons, William and Danny Wallace, were also arrested and charged with disorderly conduct-vulgar language.

A police report filed by Officer D. Stone accused Jones and her family of yelling, “F*ck the police, f*ck yall, and various other profanities.” The report noted that Jones’ son was shocked with a Taser, but it did not mention that she suffered broken ribs, black eyes and other injuries.

Jones said the broken ribs eventually resulted in pneumonia, which left her on a ventilator. In all, she had been in the hospital six times because of the beating, she said.

Attorney Christopher J. Gale, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of Jones, said that police had made her pay for showing “disrespect.”

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-pol...nvolving-truck

the "overly broad" "disorderly conduct" that criminalizes any damn conduct that the cops want to criminalize

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ventilator LOL

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    figgered you'd show up and support the police for INSTANT ESCALATION to BRUTALITY

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Montana Officer, Grant Morrison, Shoots and Kills His Second Unarmed Man. No Charges in Either Case

Two times, in the past two years, Morrison has pulled over unarmed, nonviolent citizens and, in a fit of fear, shot them both—the most recent resulting in a brutal and unnecessary death. Below the fold you will find the videos of those incidents and the nearly unbelievable news stories detailing how he's been cleared of wrongdoing in both shootings.

Morrison shoots and kills 38-year-old Richard Ramirez after a rather routine traffic stop. On January 7, according to Yahoo News, Morrison was cleared of any wrongdoing because he "feared Ramirez had a gun." After shooting him three times at close range, Morrison continues to yell commands to Ramirez on what he wants Ramirez to do, as if his body wasn't just destroyed by three bullets. Ramirez dies soon thereafter.

In 2013, Morrison shot and killed James Shaw after a routine traffic stop. Shaw, as you will have to carefully hear since the shooting is just out of the sight of the camera, is first hit with a taser then immediately shot and killed by Morrison. Morrison says he shot Shaw because he had a "crazed look on his face."

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/montana-officer-grant-morrison-shoots-and-kills-his-second-unarmed-man-no-charges

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    video of richard ramirez being gunned down in the backseat of a vehicle. i swear we have some pussy ass cops in amerikkka

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/20...oting-montana/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NYPD cops use banned chokehold against mouthy suspects, inspector general confirms

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/n...e+Raw+Story%29

I sincerely hope NYPD's feelings aren't hurt by IG's report.

IG msg: instant escalation to self-protecting brutality and shooting is the norm, pretty much nation-wide.

Imperial America's brutality abroad is mirrored by its militarized police-state brutality at home.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Human Toll of Flashbangs

At least 50 Americans have been seriously injured, maimed or killed by flashbangs since 2000. Here are their stories.

http://projects.propublica.org/graph...h-bang-victims

then add in the 100s dead from "non-lethal" tasers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hotter Than Lava

Every day, cops toss dangerous military-style grenades during raids, with little oversight and horrifying results.

http://www.propublica.org/article/flashbangs

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Black Woman Was Shot Dead By Police—Where's the National Outcry?

Aura Rosser's death has gone nearly unnoticed. Do male black lives matter more than female?

, officer David Reid and his partner, Mark Raab, responded to a domestic disturbance call around 11:45 p.m. at the home of Aura Rosser and her boyfriend Victor Stephens in Ann Arbor, home of the University of Michigan and liberal bastion about an hour from of Detroit. What happened after the officers arrived is unclear.

What we do know is that Rosser, 40, was at the home with her boyfriend, Victor Stephens, 54. He has said they were in a heated argument when he made the call, according to local reports.

He called the cops, he says, to escort Rosser out of his home. When officers arrived on the scene, they claim, Rosser "confronted" them with a knife.

Officer Reid shot Rosser, killing her. Michigan State Police say Rosser was shot once but declined to say where.

Stephens has said she was shot twice; once in the head and once in the chest.

It was hardly the outcome he had expected when he phoned the police for help. "Why would you kill her?" Stephens said to local news outlet MLive a day after the shooting. "It was a woman with a knife. It doesn't make any sense."

It was the first police shooting in Ann Arbor since the ‘80s, police officials say.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-libert...ter1030173&t=3

"To Protect Ourselves and Serve All Y'all With Immediate Death"

Thread Information