Page 123 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 3776
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no matter what the 20-year-old kid did, he was not threat to the cops or anybody, and didn't deserve to be killed.

and a taser, plastic? must feel and weigh totally differently from solid metal gun.

What kind stupid cop makes that mistake?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you. Do you have a breakdown of those who were armed and unarmed?
    sorry, no.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why isn't the right wing hate media blaming whites for getting shot by cops? or saying anything at all?

For the whites shot by cops, were they armed and/or wanted for crime or committing a crime?

simple %ages black/white dead by cops is insufficient. so insufficient it's just rightwing pro-cop bull

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no matter what the 20-year-old kid did, he was not threat to the cops or anybody, and didn't deserve to be killed.

and a taser, plastic? must feel and weigh totally differently from solid metal gun.

Most cops shoot Glocks which are also plastic. No one is arguing that she didn't up.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Yes, unarmed, who were in initially non-violent situations, and who did nothing criminally violent.

Now do the black percentage count. And do the white count too, because I’m sure some percentage will also include Latino and middle eastern.

“Some” white people still don’t understand why there is such a problem. The issue isn’t when police are in a situation with an armed criminal, whether they’re black, white, orange or purple. The BLM movement and other social justice groups wonder why when a person is black that wearing a hoodie or having a cell phone or a candy bar in their hand compels some police officers to imagine they’re all of a sudden in a life or death situation in which that they must use lethal force.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, unarmed, who were in initially non-violent situations, and who did nothing criminally violent.

Now do the black percentage count. And do the white count too, because I’m sure some percentage will also include Latino and middle eastern.

“Some” white people still don’t understand why there is such a problem. The issue isn’t when police are in a situation with an armed criminal, whether they’re black, white, orange or purple. The BLM movement and other social justice groups wonder why when a person is black that wearing a hoodie or having a cell phone or a candy bar in their hand compels some police officers to imagine they’re all of a sudden in a life or death situation in which that they must use lethal force.
    It is certainly tragic when that happens but I don't believe the officers woke up that morning and thought to themselves "I want to shoot a black guy today". I suspect there are literally tens of thousands of officer stops every day in the US and occasionally human errors happen. Again, It's tragic, but probably inevitable that occasional mistakes will be made.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    It is certainly tragic when that happens but I don't believe the officers woke up that morning and thought to themselves "I want to shoot a black guy today". I suspect there are literally tens of thousands of officer stops every day in the US and occasionally human errors happen. Again, It's tragic, but probably inevitable that occasional mistakes will be made.
    I think you’re still missing the point. Fixing the systemic racial bias isn’t really about the intent of any individual person. It’s not really intent at all. It’s trying to fix the root of the racial bias that has become second nature to some individuals in the system. Scientific studies they’ve done with babies have evidenced that racial bias is a learned behavior. You’re not born with racial bias. But that learned behavior becomes fully integrated so it’s essentially natural. It’s why the average white person in their car will lock their car doors when three teenage black kids or three Latino teens wearing hip hop clothes walk by but would not if it were three white teenagers or three white Asian kids wearing the same type of clothes. The color of the skin elicits the response. And that’s what many believe is the same natural response of some, maybe many white police officers throughout the country. Not just about intent. I mean, I’m sure there’s some small percentage who are white supremicists, just like the small percentage of the entire population. But to fix the systemic problem, you have to try to address the ones who aren’t blatantly and intentionally bias but still have the bias.

What the social justice agenda wants is the response to be the same regardless of skin color. It’s not about not seeing the skin color. When white people say they’re “color blind,” it’s one of the biggest jokes regarding opinions on racism. We don’t mind that you see the color of our skin. We want you to see it, appreciate the difference, but still not judge us because of it. When there is fairness applied across the board because it’s second nature NOT to have racial bias, then we’ve made progress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, it kinda looks like Brooklyn Center PD threw her under the bus, but she's the former union president, maybe she volunteered.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hard for people to understand this- but how can you be sure he was not a threat?
    probably because you NOW know- that the kid was unarmed

but the cops had no way of knowing that at the time- they had no way of knowing that the kid did not have a gun in the car and was going for the gun- unless i completely missed that the car had already been searched??
    (i dont really know if it had)

of course the taser/gun up is unforgivable but people panic and some of those people are experienced cops

anyone can panic at any time- no one knows how they will react when the hits the fan

this cop was extremely experienced - so they say- so her career/freedom might be over

not an excuse but it can happen to anyone

i DO agree he did NOT deserve to be killed tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I don’t question whether the police genuinely felt that he was a threat. I don’t know that answer, we may never get the answer, and it’s pretty difficult to truly know what another person feels. He may or may not have been a threat to them. Rather, I question why was he a threat in the first place with the context of asking if the same exact scenario occurred with a white man, would they have felt that same threat level and have responded the same way?

People are asking the wrong questions. Stop asking the surface questions, the individual, case specific questions. Rather, ask why it keeps happening to black people and why we don’t hear it happening to white people. It’s not just a “white people comply” and “black people resist” issue. 30 years of the TV show Cops and we all know white people resist cops too.

Why do these accidents, why do these mistakes, why do these errors in judgment, why do these isolated uses of lethal force keep happening to black people? The problem of systemic racism does not fall on one, single individual police officer. When it’s systemic, it’s bigger, it’s embedded, it’s pervasive, it’s planted and rooted. Finding fault in one officer or exonerating that one officer does not address the bigger problem.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘Graphic and unedited’: Police violence against Black people is no mistake
    The killing of unarmed Black folk isn’t just ending the lives of the victims.

It’s a tragic legacy of trauma that alters the lives of every Black person in this country.

A 20-year-old, Daunte Wright, is dead.

And George Floyd’s brother Philonise Floyd is on TV mourning both men, telling us the pain he feels is only heightened by this latest death.

Do not dare to ask us for peace when this country has put us in a perpetual state of grief.

Peace is a safe society. America made it so that you have to fight for it.

https://bostonglobe.us11.list-manage...d&e=3ae3948659

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston Globe email

BREAKING NEWS ALERT
    The Minnesota police officer who fatally shot Daunte Wright during a traffic stop in a Minneapolis suburb and the city’s chief of police resigned Tuesday.

Officer Kim Potter and Police Chief Tim Gannon both resigned two days after the death of 20-year-old Wright in Brooklyn Center.

=========

The sheriff will hire them both next week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    unsurprising, if true

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston Globe email

BREAKING NEWS ALERT
    The Minnesota police officer who fatally shot Daunte Wright during a traffic stop in a Minneapolis suburb and the city’s chief of police resigned Tuesday.

Officer Kim Potter and Police Chief Tim Gannon both resigned two days after the death of 20-year-old Wright in Brooklyn Center.

=========

The sheriff will hire them both next week.
    Did they say they were sorry?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, definitely.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No wonder Qhris and derptacular #backtheblue so hard....

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Conservatives want you to think murder is an appropriate response to property damage

but property damage isn’t an appropriate response to murder."

this is ing brilliant

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Daunte Wright was facing armed robbery charges on top of the gun charges. Obviously, the cop was in the wrong, but this guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude didn't deserve to die. You cannot just clip someone because you're too ing stupid to know the difference between a taser and a firearm. He had a warrant for his arrest, that doesn't make him guilty without trial.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cute

Too bad it's completely wrong.

Defending your property is your right. Killing random people because someone destroyed your property isn't.

Destroying unrelated property because some random person was killed isn't your right. There's no innate right to riot just because you read a new story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    unsurprising, if true

What address did he give them?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t question whether the police genuinely felt that he was a threat. I don’t know that answer, we may never get the answer, and it’s pretty difficult to truly know what another person feels. He may or may not have been a threat to them. Rather, I question why was he a threat in the first place with the context of asking if the same exact scenario occurred with a white man, would they have felt that same threat level and have responded the same way?

People are asking the wrong questions. Stop asking the surface questions, the individual, case specific questions. Rather, ask why it keeps happening to black people and why we don’t hear it happening to white people. It’s not just a “white people comply” and “black people resist” issue. 30 years of the TV show Cops and we all know white people resist cops too.

Why do these accidents, why do these mistakes, why do these errors in judgment, why do these isolated uses of lethal force keep happening to black people? The problem of systemic racism does not fall on one, single individual police officer. When it’s systemic, it’s bigger, it’s embedded, it’s pervasive, it’s planted and rooted. Finding fault in one officer or exonerating that one officer does not address the bigger problem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceoZ...VigilanceElite

Interesting discussion on this (not race related)

Thread Information