My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell: Olympic sprinters fail drug tests

Top US sprinter Tyson Gay and Jamaica's former 100m world record holder Asafa Powell have failed drug tests.

Gay, 30, the joint-second fastest man over 100m, was notified by the US Anti-Doping Agency on Friday that his A sample from an out-of-compe ion test in May had returned a positive.

Powell, the all-time fourth quickest, was positive for a banned stimulant at June's Jamaican championships.

Fellow Jamaican athlete Sherone Simpson also failed a drug test at the event.

The sprinter, a 4x100m relay silver medallist at last year's London Olympics, tested positive for oxilofrine - the same stimulant Powell tested positive for.

Powell and Simpson's doping positives come a month after Jamaican Olympic champion Veronica Campbell-Brown tested positive for a banned diuretic.

The 30-year-old Powell was the last man to hold the individual 100m record before compatriot Usain Bolt broke it in 2008.

Powell later helped Jamaica to win 400m relay gold at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

He has run 9.88 seconds this year, but failed to make the Jamaican team for next month's World Championships.

"I want to be clear in saying to my family, friends and, most of all, my fans worldwide that I have never knowingly or wilfully taken any supplements or substances that break any rules," Powell said in a statement.

"I am not now - nor have I ever been - a cheat."

Gay, who is the fastest man in 2013, is waiting for the results of his 'B' sample.

He has already withdrawn from next month's World Championships in Moscow.

"I don't have a sabotage story... I basically put my trust in someone and was let down," he said.

more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the guy faster than them doesn't dope?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the guy faster than them doesn't dope?
    Of course he does. It was the same with Armstrong - he was leagues ahead of people who were known to dope, but he was "innocent". I guess too much money is at stake for everyone to go after Bolt.

Or he could just be too fast for hands of justice .

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's time to either remove some of the drugs currently on the list of illegal PED's or dump pro track. Track was actually better back in the day before the big $$$$$$$$$$$. Look at all the meets that have bailed out because they can't sfford the athletes.

I think we can all understand the steriod issue but all that other stuff is over kill and silly. Dump everything but actual steroids.

Usian Bolt is totally dirty and it is just a matter of time.

Tyson Gay needs his ass kicked for being stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do you guys think they do some time like marion jones?

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There aren't the roids you are looking for...

Thread Information