My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since it apparently hasn't been posted here, President Bush is going to announce his nominee to replace Justice O'Connor at 8 p.m. tonight. Much of the speculation centers on Fifth Circuit judge Edith Clement, who hails from Louisiana and is seen by most as a conservative, but one who is on record as saying that the cons utionality of a woman's right to choose is no longer an open question. Thus, while she's conservative, she would have to essentially reverse herself on the abortion issue before she'd meet with much argument from the Senate Democrats. A list of her significant opinions and a brief description of each can be found here

Other possibilities among female judges include Edith Hollan Jones (of the Fifth Circuit) but that is unlikely because Judge Jones is arguably more conservative than even the President and would be met with great combat in the Senate; the recently confirmed Janice Rogers Brown (of the Ninth Circuit) and Priscilla Owen (of the Fifth Circuit); Michigan Supreme Court Justice Maura Corrigan. Several men have been mentioned, including Judges Emilio Garza and Ed Prado (of the Fifth Circuit); Judges J. Harvie Wilkinson and Michael Luttig (of the Fourth Circuit); Judge Samuel Alito (of the Third Circuit); and Judge Michael McConnell (of the Tenth Circuit).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i want judge judy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not alone in that, Bandit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha thats awesome, although im not too keen on joe brown, most of his stuff always ends in a dismissal and a "take that as a lesson in life" quote...amy gray would be a nice hottie to e things up though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Things are getting curious. Now, ABC and other outlets are reporting that Judge Clement will not be the nominee -- that she has been told by the White House that she won't be the nominee -- and that Priscilla Owen has told people that it won't be her, either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats a damn shame. I could have gone for Clements. The other prossibles scare me a bit. Ok, a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats a damn shame. I could have gone for Clements. The other prossibles scare me a bit. Ok, a lot.
    Get ready, Manny. The smart money seems to be centering on Edith Jones, a far, far more conservative choice. Judge Jones is famous for her conclusions that a lawyer who slept through a capital murder trial did not afford her client ineffective assistance of counsel because the trial record did not indicate at which points the lawyer had been sleeping (as if the trial judge is going to stop proceedings momentarily to have the court reporter note that the lawyer was sleeping) and that a sexual harrasser's apology was sufficient to defeat any claim for liability that the harrassed former employee had against her former employer.

The speculation seems to be intensifying around Judge Jones and Judge Michael Luttig. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the nominee ended up being someone who comes from out of the blue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luttig scares me as well.

The fact of the matter is that if Bush nominates someone like that, I can only hope that we have democrats who are willing to fight for what is right.

It'll be an interesting evening, indeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luttig scares me as well.

The fact of the matter is that if Bush nominates someone like that, I can only hope that we have democrats who are willing to fight for what is right.

It'll be an interesting evening, indeed.
    If Bush goes with a hard-line conservative of the Jones or Luttig persuasion, the battle over the nomination could define both politics and law for some time. If Bush prevails with such a nomination, the high Court will be in its most conservative composition since the start of the 20th Century.

It will be interesting to see: (1) whether the Democrats will threaten and ultimately use a filibuster; (2) whether the Republicans will undertake the "nuclear option;" and (3) how swing voters view each party's decision. Will the Democrats be viewed by non-partisans as obstructionists or as those who are fighting for no worse than moderation? Will the Republicans be viewed by non-partisans as bullies or as those who are fighting for no worse than consideration? The issue isn't how a dyed-in-the-wool partisan would see those actions; it's all about the moderates. From a political standpoint, this fight could greatly affect the composition of the Senate (and perhaps even the House, though the House won't be involved in the process) in the mid-term election in 2006 and the presidential election in 2008.

There's a lot more going on here than just the nomination of a judge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who says i been nominatin'?

Thread Information