Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so true.
    the formula they played till 2005 was so much better:
    16 teams, 4 groups, 3 games.
    the winner of each group qualifies directly for the QF.
    the 2nd place teams plays an elimination game vs. the 3rd of another group. the winner goes to the QF.
    that modus was pretty good.
    first the teams tried much harder to win their group.
    and the elimination games were absolut heart breaker.
    (I remember in 2003 the elimination games produced some of the best moments of the whole championship.)
    now they have like 20 more games, but all games before the QF are so much less exciting, many are meaningless and the overall quality went down significantely.
    The problem with the old format was that the winners had a long break, often resulting in getting out of rhythm completely. Maybe emulating the WC format would be the best...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just love to read our forums. I like how 99% people think Dragic is better than Parker. Even some analysts.
    99% of people only watch our national basketball team and a few times we played France this was actually true (though sadly not so much in the last few years )

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be fine with the Eurobasket coming back to the pre-2005 format. They can even do it with 24 teams (4 groups of 6 teams) and 12 teams advancing for the barrage/quarter-final round. Another option would be a 24 teams Eurobasket (still 4 groups of 6 teams) with 16 teams advancing to the eighth-finals. On way or another, they should jest get rid of that second phase with two groups they have today.

Another issue is teams tanking to get a easier opponent in QF or SF that should be solved with a partial draw being done at the end of the group stage.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with the old format was that the winners had a long break, often resulting in getting out of rhythm completely. Maybe emulating the WC format would be the best...
    I disagree here. in 2005 it was either 4 or 5 days off for the group winners, 2003 it was just 3 days or 4 days.
    the group games were much more intense, so some days off after 3 hard games is exactly what you want for your team. you don't lose your rhythm in that span. (did the Spurs lose their rhythm during the 10 days before the finals started?)

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    So I rewatched ESP vs ITA. ESP had an 8 pt lead with about 3 minutes left. One Marc Gasol charge triggered the Spanish meltdown

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I rewatched ESP vs ITA. ESP had an 8 pt lead with about 3 minutes left. One Marc Gasol charge triggered the Spanish meltdown
    I thought Italy played Spain, not ESP. Does Spain call themselves ESP for some reason?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Italy played Spain, not ESP. Does Spain call themselves ESP for some reason?
    Espana.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Holy .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some neatly visualized stats to dig into:

http://www.in-the-game.org/eurobaske...session-usage/

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice find, here are more of the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    France And A Quiet Stroll For De Colo

Combo guard Nando De Colo got his first taste of a major tournament at EuroBasket 2009 and has been a staple of the French national team ever since.

EuroBasket 2013 however could have been a break in his international career.

The 26-year-old completed a long and often difficult rookie season in the NBA with play-off finalists San Antonio Spurs, and could have preferred to spend his summer free time far from Slovenia.

But the thought of not responding to coach Vincent Collet's call did not cross his mind, as for him playing for France goes hand-in-hand with his personal development.

"This summer I wanted to come to the national team because since three-four years we've been working together and we want to do something important for our country," De Colo told fibaeurope.com

"I also try to work on myself, to improve and be prepared for next season too, and I can do both at the same time.

"I don't compare club and national team, of course last year I played less than I used to in the past but it's not because I play more for the national team that I want to play for myself, I am here for the team."

"Of course it's also good for me to play in the summer more time and get into game rhythm, it's good for me and my next season."

De Colo has been around with Les Bleus long enough now to be able to compare the French side that will do battle with hosts Slovenia on Wednesday for a semi-final spot at EuroBasket 2013, to previous reiterations of the national team.

continue: http://www.eurobasket2013.org/en/coi...leMode_on.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm watching the replay of ESP (sorry, Spain ) - Italy and if anyone wants to see how to tank, you should watch Gasol in last minutes of regular game and then in overtime. Ridiculous.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm watching the replay of ESP (sorry, Spain ) - Italy and if anyone wants to see how to tank, you should watch Gasol in last minutes of regular game and then in overtime. Ridiculous.

. Ok, I get it, Espana is Spanish for Spain. I should have realized, but had a temporary brain fart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait

That weirdo who goes to Lakers and Spurs games is attending Eurobasket games ?????

wtf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait

That weirdo who goes to Lakers and Spurs games is attending Eurobasket games ?????

wtf
    Wouldn't surprise me if he goes to 1 game a night during the regular season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tony and Rasho

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be fine with the Eurobasket coming back to the pre-2005 format. They can even do it with 24 teams (4 groups of 6 teams) and 12 teams advancing for the barrage/quarter-final round. Another option would be a 24 teams Eurobasket (still 4 groups of 6 teams) with 16 teams advancing to the eighth-finals. On way or another, they should jest get rid of that second phase with two groups they have today.

Another issue is teams tanking to get a easier opponent in QF or SF that should be solved with a partial draw being done at the end of the group stage.

First time I heard about that kind of format I was WTF is this ?

That, to me, does not make any sense.
    Easier and more natural is having groups and then playoff format. 4 groups is enough.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/09/eurobasket-2/33480

The rumors of teams tanking games in order to chose opponent in the quarterfinals and the fact that two weeks were spend before reaching the climax of Eurobasket are making FIBA Europe think about changes in the compe ion format.

The expansion to 24 teams proved a success, with many countries investing into their national teams program. However the current Eurobasket format proved to be quite long – and maybe that kind of explains the empty seats at Stozice Arena – and also the second group phase creates the conditions in which a team may not desire to win a specific game.
    FIBA Europe would like to improve the format and the possibility of changes is strong. In that case the new format will probably include only one group phase with the four top teams of each group advancing and then playing knock out games until the final.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spain crushing Serbia...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This would be good, though i disagree with the notion that this has impact on empty seats. That has more with general economic situation in Slovenia and Europe in general and the fact that in Europe soccer is king. Next WC in Spain and next Eurobasket in Ukraine won't be any better in this aspect, regardless of the format...

Thread Information