Cruyff
    Platini
    Zico
    Zidane
    Socrates

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Only have seen Zidane play live. But if what it's said about them it's true, it should be something like:

Cruyff
    Zico
    Platini
    Zidane
    Socrates
    Kempes

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Only have seen Zidane play live. But if what it's said about them it's true, it should be something like:

Cruyff
    Zico
    Platini
    Zidane
    Socrates
    Kempes
    that sounds legit but I would move up Socrates and move down Zico

Cruyff
    Platini
    Socrates
    Zidane
    Zico
    Kempes

Veteran
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Did only saw Zidane live so i can't rank them, hate to do that by hearing stuffs about them.

No offense Brazil.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Did only saw Zidane live so i can't rank them, hate to do that by hearing stuffs about them.

No offense Brazil.
    no issue, that's just for discussion.

I have seen played most of them even if I was a bit young for some like Socrates Cruyff but seen a lot of their world cup games.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Socrates wasnt really a 10 (and im not talking jersey number, but his role)

Aaah the 82 Brazil team, ing underachievers ...... what a shame

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Socrates wasnt really a 10 (and im not talking jersey number, but his role)

Aaah the 82 Brazil team, ing underachievers ...... what a shame
    Falcao, Zico, Socrates... but for me 86 was even better Socrates, Careca, Zico, Branco...

Brazilian love the 86 generation. They are mad as that Luis Fernandez made them eat dust, strangely enough nobody seems to be mad at Zico or Socrates for missing penalties.

I, for one, consider France fate in football is to screw Brazil in WC. That's our only and sole purpose

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Falcao, Zico, Socrates... but for me 86 was even better Socrates, Careca, Zico, Branco...

Brazilian love the 86 generation. They are mad as that Luis Fernandez made them eat dust, strangely enough nobody seems to be mad at Zico or Socrates for missing penalties.

I, for one, consider France fate in football is to screw Brazil in WC. That's our only and sole purpose
    Yeah but Zico played injured in 86

And Eder wasnt part of the squad that year (well his fault, he had discipline issues, but still he was an important player)

Eh, but that's sports !

But let's not talk about 82 and 86 WC anymore; the team Algeria had

Beat Germany in 82
    Almost beat Brazil in 86, we missed a couple of sitters, and gift wrapped the only goal of the game to Careca

Assad, Belloumi, Madjer, Dahleb, the other Zidane, Merzkane, Bensaoula, Guendouz, Cerbah, Drid

Dear God

We'll never have another team like that, not the way our football is being run

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Yeah but Zico played injured in 86

And Eder wasnt part of the squad that year (well his fault, he had discipline issues, but still he was an important player)

Eh, but that's sports !

But let's not talk about 82 and 86 WC anymore; the team Algeria had

Beat Germany in 82
    Almost beat Brazil in 86, we missed a couple of sitters, and gift wrapped the only goal of the game to Careca

Assad, Belloumi, Madjer, Dahleb, the other Zidane, Merzkane, Bensaoula, Guendouz, Cerbah, Drid

Dear God

We'll never have another team like that, not the way our football is being run
    Zico started indeed the game on the bench but IIRC gave very solid minutes to Brazil and even in prolongation. Socrates was better than in 82 and Careca was beasting.

For the rest, I agree at that time Algeria had a good team.... ahhh Madjer well known of the French Division 1. If you cry for 82 and 86 imagine the French !

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    maybe I should start a rank 10s in activity, a lot of young guys out there indeed don't know very much these dudes. Big issue is that the traditional number 10s are not very common those days tbh...

What would be interesting to rank Lefty ? xavi, riquelme...

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count

For the rest, I agree at that time Algeria had a good team.... ahhh Madjer well known of the French Division 1. If you cry for 82 and 86 imagine the French !
    The scary part was that, at the time, Madjer wasnt even the best player on that team

Pelé was actually a big fan of Assad, and France coach Michel Hidalgo liked Belloumi; as for Dahleb, you must have heard of him, former Captain and playmaker of PSG

France had a great team in the 80's .... they got robbed in both semifinals .... ing West Germany

maybe I should start a rank 10s in activity, a lot of young guys out there indeed don't know very much these dudes. Big issue is that the traditional number 10s are not very common those days tbh...

What would be interesting to rank Lefty ? xavi, riquelme...
    that's what I miss the most about football ... those true number 10's, magicians, playmakers and spectacular scorers at the same time ... 10 was so iconic back then, you had to deserve that number ....

Yeah we could start with Xavi, Riquelme, etc

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Kempes
    Cruyff
    Platini
    Zico
    Zidane
    Socrates
    Kempes was more of a 9... striker... he didn't have playmaking abilities like a true 10.

Cruyff
    Zico
    Zidane
    Platini
    Socrates
    Kempes

Platini was overrated as , IMO... he was basically the only 'good' euro 10 in an era dominated by south american players at his position (Zico, Maradona, Francescoli, etc)... he was a good free throw shooter, but so were all the other guys.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    I wouldnt say Platini was overrated; he was also a fantastic passer and a verstaile scorer; sure he didnt dribble past 10 guys like Diego or Pele did, but he had a great feel for the game; he was also a clutch mofo

Now Beckham was overrated as

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Kempes was more of a 9... striker... he didn't have playmaking abilities like a true 10.

Cruyff
    Zico
    Zidane
    Platini
    Socrates
    Kempes

Platini was overrated as , IMO... he was basically the only 'good' euro 10 in an era dominated by south american players at his position (Zico, Maradona, Francescoli, etc)... he was a good free throw shooter, but so were all the other guys.
    you surely know kempes better than me I was seeing more of a 10 than a 9 so I stand corrected.

For Platini we are going to, obviously, disagree. Maradona is clearly on his own planet but out of him and Cruyff, he has the edge in my eyes on every other 10s. God knows I'm huge of Francescoli, he played in France in Paris and Marseille but he is no close to Platini. The FNT of the 80's, two semi-finals and one euro won is all about Platini, he was the key piece on the field and btw was clearly the coach of the team. He is the definition of playmaker, everything started with him on every team he played.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    I wouldnt say Platini was overrated; he was also a fantastic passer and a verstaile scorer; sure he didnt dribble past 10 guys like Diego or Pele did, but he had a great feel for the game; he was also a clutch mofo

Now Beckham was overrated as
    my n'gga !

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    OVERRATED, I saaaaaaid

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    I would agree he was much better than the 10 you see in this day and age though...

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    Francescoli = Diego Milito = Rocky Balboa

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Enzo Milito

Veteran
    Post Count

Cruyff
    Zico
    Zidane
    Platini
    Socrates
    Kempes

Kempes and socrates are different types of players than the rest. I think Cruyff/platini/zico are very similar, their differences are intangible. Zidane I think is not as good a playmaker/passer, but physically and defensively is on another level from the rest, better suited to the modern game. If I had to choose one for my team I'd go with Cruyff, then platini, then zico. Platini isn't overrated, IMO zico is much more overrated. He was captain of underachieving teams and spent half his career on crap teams (right when money was really flooding the sport). Like all Brazilian players he counts his goals in friendlies and such but in WC / Italy he was nowhere near the scorer he was in Brazilian league. I don't like platini much but I respect his game, and he actually won his club and NT a lot.

I'd even go as far to say that riquelme is better than zico.

Xavi I think is also different from a 10, he is more like veron, a 5 with an offensive focus on passing and playmaking but not an offensive force like cruyff/platini etc.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Kempes and socrates are different types of players than the rest. I think Cruyff/platini/zico are very similar, their differences are intangible. Zidane I think is not as good a playmaker/passer, but physically and defensively is on another level from the rest, better suited to the modern game. If I had to choose one for my team I'd go with Cruyff, then platini, then zico. Platini isn't overrated, IMO zico is much more overrated. He was captain of underachieving teams and spent half his career on crap teams (right when money was really flooding the sport). Like all Brazilian players he counts his goals in friendlies and such but in WC / Italy he was nowhere near the scorer he was in Brazilian league. I don't like platini much but I respect his game, and he actually won his club and NT a lot.

I'd even go as far to say that riquelme is better than zico.

Xavi I think is also different from a 10, he is more like veron, a 5 with an offensive focus on passing and playmaking but not an offensive force like cruyff/platini etc.
    Nice post Diego. Agreed regarding zico. Last old tradition 10 still playing is riquelme.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Zico's Brazil didnt win the WC because of ty D and goaltending

Vs Italy in 82, the GWG from Rossi was the result of a horrible mistake

And dont get me started on Oscar's timing vs France

Thread Information