Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only read the first article. I'll get to the second one later.

Two things jump out: 1) I didn't see any suggestion that systematic or systemic racism had been cured. I did see an indication that, what might be called its effects, had been curtailed as seen in test scores. Racism isn't reducible to poor performance in school - hatred/fear/anger/etc... directed towards another race is manifested in poor performance, but isn't reducible to such. 2) the point of the second article really flies in the face of a lot of the victimization and pandering that some posters have displayed in this thread. Particularly the notion of individual dignity, not letting cir stances keep one down, etc... It is very hard to insist on individual agency, on the one hand, and decry the far-reaching, dominating (almost pre-destining) effect of structures on the other.

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sorry but Obama is not a "black man". He is half black, half white. He was brough up by white grandparents in Hawaii for christsakes

Wake me up when a guy like this guy and who is brought up in the 'hood' becomes president:

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Oh please. If LE "wanted it" in the suburbs do you really think soccer moms would suddenly be slinging meth and having drivebys with their 9's and their minivans?
    Incorrect analogy. The framework of Highland Park, and Oak Cliff are apples/oranges.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, I completely agree. But the progress made has been largely the result of "low hanging fruit" if such a metaphor can be made here.

Now another level of hard work begins.
    On a certain level, I really don't think you and I have much of a disagreement on this topic. I suppose our divergence is philosophic because I really don't see the point (and sometimes the merit) in trying to "implement equality." And I think that's a pretty different conversation.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    the fake outrage in here is digusting. y'all don't give a damn about the murder stats because its blacks killing blacks. when blacks are gunning down white people on the regular then we can have a race discussion lol.
    Where is the fake outrage?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Only read the first article. I'll get to the second one later.

Two things jump out: 1) I didn't see any suggestion that systematic or systemic racism had been cured. I did see an indication that, what might be called its effects, had been curtailed as seen in test scores. Racism isn't reducible to poor performance in school - hatred/fear/anger/etc... directed towards another race is manifested in poor performance, but isn't reducible to such. 2) the point of the second article really flies in the face of a lot of the victimization and pandering that some posters have displayed in this thread. Particularly the notion of individual dignity, not letting cir stances keep one down, etc... It is very hard to insist on individual agency, on the one hand, and decry the far-reaching, dominating (almost pre-destining) effect of structures on the other.
    Having been involved in one of the core studies, not only were the effects of racism countered in the test scores, the modification of the test population through the methodologies used (intense one on one, before and after school involvement, etc) were uniformly positive. Social outcomes, ie, negative interaction with "problem" children evaporated. It wasn't a cure all, but it was a of a start. We're humans after all, and we'll screw up sometimes just for the fun of it.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    On a certain level, I really don't think you and I have much of a disagreement on this topic. I suppose our divergence is philosophic because I really don't see the point (and sometimes the merit) in trying to "implement equality." And I think that's a pretty different conversation.
    I agree...you can't "implement" equality. You have to cause it.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    sorry but Obama is not a "black man". He is half black, half white. He was brough up by white grandparents in Hawaii for christsakes

Wake me up when a guy like this guy and who is brought up in the 'hood' becomes president:

Dude looks like a Samuel Jackson starter-kit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the fake outrage in here is digusting. y'all don't give a damn about the murder stats because its blacks killing blacks. when blacks are gunning down white people on the regular then we can have a race discussion lol.
    To a certain extent this is true (except for your typical histrionics in calling it "outrage")

I feel about black on black gang crime just like I feel about mexican drug war crime, or hillbilly cracker meth heads whacking each other...I simply don't give a .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

obama is black!!!!!

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that is a half truth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it interesting that Trill keeps talking about the day that blacks will come to gun down their white oppressors.

Is he our next mass murderer hiding in plain sight?

Will he use a pump shotgun or an M16 to complete the cliche?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    This was a great discussion. Thanks CC for gettin me riled up and keeping it reasonable.
    I gotta go home now and dominate a pitcher of girly drinks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a great discussion. Thanks CC for gettin me riled up and keeping it reasonable.
    I gotta go home now and dominate a pitcher of girly drinks.
    , dude. Have a good one. I gotta go to a rodeo meeting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it interesting that Trill keeps talking about the day that blacks will come to gun down their white oppressors.

Is he our next mass murderer hiding in plain sight?

Will he use a pump shotgun or an M16 to complete the cliche?
    fool that's not what i'm saying...but i guess we'll find out if i'm the next mass murderer at the next gtg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bye, unc

Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    LA and NY are overrated since their populations are so big, so the murdur rates of those two cities ain't really that high imho.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Chicago working hard to keep top honors.

http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/1...224521821.html

CHICAGO (AP) -- Chicago police say 12 people, including a 3-year-old, were injured when someone opened fire on people in a park on the city's southwest side.

Chicago Fire Department officials said the child was in critical condition. Two other victims were also in critical condition. The others were reported in serious to fair condition.

Officer Amina Greer said the shooting occurred shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday at a park in the city Back of the Yards neighborhood.

Julian Harris told the Chicago Sun-Times men fired at him from a gray sedan before turning toward Cornell Square Park and firing at people in the area. He said his 3-year-old nephew was wounded in the cheek.

Police spokesman Ron Gaines says victims are being interviewed. No one is in custody.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SMH

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago working hard to keep top honors.

http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/1...224521821.html

CHICAGO (AP) -- Chicago police say 12 people, including a 3-year-old, were injured when someone opened fire on people in a park on the city's southwest side.

Chicago Fire Department officials said the child was in critical condition. Two other victims were also in critical condition. The others were reported in serious to fair condition.

Officer Amina Greer said the shooting occurred shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday at a park in the city Back of the Yards neighborhood.

Julian Harris told the Chicago Sun-Times men fired at him from a gray sedan before turning toward Cornell Square Park and firing at people in the area. He said his 3-year-old nephew was wounded in the cheek.

Police spokesman Ron Gaines says victims are being interviewed. No one is in custody.
    ... direct result of the soft-on-crime stance, enabling gun crime by gun fellators, NRA, gun industry.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-20-2013 at 11:23 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... direct result of the soft on stance, enabling gun crime by gun fellators, NRA, gun industry.
    Yeah, I'm sure it was a legal firearm

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I'm sure it was a legal firearm
    with 300M+ guns flooding USA to great enrichment of NRA/gun industry, it's VERY EASY for bad buys to obtain guns.

2nd Amendment?

home/self defense?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    What exactly is funny?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What exactly is funny?
    the lies and propaganda you gun fellators suck down from NRA/gun industry to justify enriching the gun industry.

the other big lie is the NRA jumping on mental illness, rather than 300M+ guns and their gun-obsessed culture, as a target to stop "(mentally ill) people killing people".

Only a small percentage of mentally ill people are violent, and even fewer are murderously violent.

But as with suicidal people, it sure helps the mentally ill become murderous, and it enables SUCCESSFUL suicides, if they have easy access to guns.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    the lies and propaganda you gun fellators suck down from NRA/gun industry to justify enriching the gun industry.

the other big lie is the NRA jumping on mental illness, rather than 300M+ guns and their gun-obsessed culture, as a target to stop "(mentally ill) people killing people".

Only a small percentage of mentally ill people are violent, and even fewer are murderously violent.

But as with suicidal people, it sure helps the mentally ill become murderous, and it enables SUCCESSFUL suicides, if they have easy access to guns.

I didn't ask you any of that. I asked what is so funny about home/self defense?

Thread Information