Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    What the does it matter what order they are in? The statement was made and I listed 24 programs that are arguably historically better than Aggie. Rank them yourself if you want it done your way.
    Still avoiding my original question, but I'll answer it for you. Current state of a program >>> history of a program.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Not if you are talking about USC. USC is a better destination right now, even in their current state. If don't understand why or can't see why then you are dumber than I thought you were.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I'm not saying USC is a worse program. I'm saying Vito is an idiot and that Sumlin, if offered, would not immediately jump ship from TAMU.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Care to ELE bet on that?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    There's no situation in which you have to leave in that bet.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    ...what?

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Damn, benefactor is stupid. His stupidity is only outshined by that Vito guy.

lol t-shirt fans

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I love that you really believe that we are a "fringe" top 25 program.
    Looks like I'm not the only one, it seems ESPN also considers you a fringe top 25 program

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=3849468

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Save for a quirky person or holding out for a different offer (Texas), if an offer is made, it really wouldn't be a tough choice. USC is a private school not limited by state budget constraints, so money is not an issue. I get taking pride in your school. Just last week I had a twitter correspondence with SI's Andy Glockner that convinced him to place Arizona in his top-10 current basketball programs. I maintain Arizona Basketball is elite, albeit a second-tier elite program until Miller proves multiple FF and le Successful, but also one that is on an upward trajectory with enough on-court, recruiting and NBA success the past 30 years to justify a possible top-5 ranking should things break right in the next decade or so..

But I'm not argue that Miller isn't going to accept an offer from North Carolina or Duke.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Still avoiding my original question, but I'll answer it for you. Current state of a program >>> history of a program.
    If that were true why did Mack Brown leave UNC for Texas? Why did Lou Holtz leave Arkansas for Notre Dame? Why did Bear Bryant leave a$m for Alabama?

The same reason sumlin would aggsy for USC

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I'm not saying USC is a worse program. I'm saying Vito is an idiot and that Sumlin, if offered, would not immediately jump ship from TAMU.
    Here is my bet for you.

If sumlin gets an offer from USC and doesn't take it I leave, but if he leaves a&m for any other program college or NFL you leave

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    Cal Bears
    Post Count
    can kiffin swallow his pride and come be teddy's OC in jacksonville?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Impossible to prove if USC made an offer and Sumlin rejected it. They don't go public with those sort of things. A&M offered Richt before Sumlin, so people say, but there's no real proof.

Here is my bet for you.

If sumlin gets an offer from USC and doesn't take it I leave, but if he leaves a&m for any other program college or NFL you leave
    I think the only way he leaves is for the NFL, so no.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Ok...we'll do it like this...if Sumlin leaves for USC, and USC only, you are gone from the CS forum for a year from hire date. If an unaffiliated source(mainstream outlet, i.e. Yahoo, SI, AP) reports that Sumlin did indeed reject an offer from USC then I am gone for a year.

Deal?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Save for a quirky person or holding out for a different offer (Texas), if an offer is made, it really wouldn't be a tough choice. USC is a private school not limited by state budget constraints, so money is not an issue. I get taking pride in your school. Just last week I had a twitter correspondence with SI's Andy Glockner that convinced him to place Arizona in his top-10 current basketball programs. I maintain Arizona Basketball is elite, albeit a second-tier elite program until Miller proves multiple FF and le Successful, but also one that is on an upward trajectory with enough on-court, recruiting and NBA success the past 30 years to justify a possible top-5 ranking should things break right in the next decade or so..

But I'm not argue that Miller isn't going to accept an offer from North Carolina or Duke.

Not sure what is so hard to understand about this. It's one of the biggest homer takes in history to say your coach is going to say no to USC.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Deal.

My Team
    North Carolina State Wolfpack
    Post Count
    I know he's a very mediocre coach, but he won 67% of their games. Very bad skid at the end, but damn. Not even allowing him on the bus? Tough break.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    67% is a joke at a school like USC. Even with sanctions.

He inherited a near-elite college QB and while losing scholarships hurts depth, they still pulled strong talent. Allowing UCLA football to pass them in perceptual relevance, and the fact both Arizona and ASU beat them the last two years really shows how far they fell. We're talking, in a typical year, getting played over and over by the 5-7th best programs historically in the PAC-10/12. Finishing third/fourth in conference is unacceptable for USC. But finishing third/fourth in own conference division is like a sign of the end of times.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Interesting info from a random poster on TexAgs:

-Isn't the USC job being overrated by the media who thinks they can just get anyone? Since 1925, every single coach they hired HAD PREVIOUS TIES to the Trojans, either coaching or playing. Only 2 exceptions: Larry Smith in '87 who came from Zona, a basketball school, and Pete Carroll - who was about their 5th choice after they'd been rejected by their first choices - a fired NFL coach who was desperate for a job and bored out of his mind writing columns for a website and charity work for the NFL when they hired him. None of their moves come close to what even we've been able to pull just in the last 30 years poaching Sherrill from Pitt and Fran from Bama.
    Take it FWIW.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Interesting info from a random poster on TexAgs:

Take it FWIW.
    Here is all that matters. When a coach takes a job he wants the chance to win. The better the chance the better the job. USC is one of the best and here is why.

1. USC holds the minds, hearts and souls of all the California kids, much like Texas does in Texas but the difference is that USC generally holds the hearts and minds of most of the top talent in the entire country. When USC is good they pretty much get their choice of anyone they want in the country. They own the state of California with every great player. No school recruits better than USC, period.

2. Pac 12 is a very winnable conference with enough strength to get them into a playoff spot without worry.

3. winning at a school like a$m will get you noticed, but winning at USC will make you a legend.

4. USC is the #1 football program in Los Angelos, they are Los Angelos they are hollywood.

5. No school has more NFL hall of fame players than USC, they are a pipeline to the NFL and high school kids know this.

When it's all said and done, kids want to party like a rock star and play for championships, at USC they literally get to do both.

Coaches know this and that is why they want to go there.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Here is all that matters. When a coach takes a job he wants the chance to win. The better the chance the better the job. USC is one of the best and here is why.

1. USC holds the minds, hearts and souls of all the California kids, much like Texas does in Texas but the difference is that USC generally holds the hearts and minds of most of the top talent in the entire country. When USC is good they pretty much get their choice of anyone they want in the country. They own the state of California with every great player. No school recruits better than USC, period.

2. Pac 12 is a very winnable conference with enough strength to get them into a playoff spot without worry.

3. winning at a school like a$m will get you noticed, but winning at USC will make you a legend.

4. USC is the #1 football program in Los Angelos, they are Los Angelos they are hollywood.

5. No school has more NFL hall of fame players than USC, they are a pipeline to the NFL and high school kids know this.

When it's all said and done, kids want to party like a rock star and play for championships, at USC they literally get to do both.

How many times are you going to post the same stuff ?

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Hard to overrate facts. Good post, Vito.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Hard to overrate facts. Good post, Vito.
    All his posts in this thread are the exact same thing being repeated. I have no dog in this fight, and I would agree that USC is the more prestigious program. I do think the fact that hes already at A&M is being overlooked though, the guy has as much job security as almost any coach in the country. If he was still at Houston and being courted by both teams then yeah USC would be the easy choice but thats not the case. A&M has a good thing going and its not suddenly going to crumble once Johnny leaves. I wouldnt call it a given that he would bolt if USC offered tbh.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count

Did you address anything I posted?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Did you address anything I posted?
    I did a few posts back when I posted all the coaches that left good programs for great ones. And I asked why?

This last post you quoted tells why a coach like Sumlin would entertain a school like USC.

Yes he has a good thing going at a&m, but he also knows what he can accomplish with the advantages USC offers

Thread Information