Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the season kicks off we all will just get right back into it. I expect the Spurs if healthy to be right there again with a great shot at it. I am incredibly confident that the Heat not only won't win it all but they will not make the finals. The Pacers have their number and all that stopped them taking it last year was inexperience. Wade is getting old and those knees are even older. OKC is damn good but I doubt they will ever fully recover from trading Harden. Spurs can get back to the finals this year..

Believe...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know that at the beginning of last season I was not expecting the Spurs to come out of the west much less almost take it all. I have always kept that in mind because last years team overachieved. I am proud of them for that.

silverblk mystix
    Tim would have been 5-0 in Finals, and in my opinion, would have won his 4th Finals MVP. But Pop sat him at the end of Game 6....and the result was, we lost. It's on Pop. Pop cost Tim a "Top Two Player of All-Time" status. Pop should never, ever, ever, ever be forgiven.

This.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Are you really serious, that Pop should never ever be forgiven?
    And do you truly attribute these finals losses to only Pop and Manu, and no one else?
    Can you not see the instances where TD screwed up, the missed free throws and rebounds; where Green screwed up, the disappearing act after establishing his 3 pt. record; where TP screwed up, the missed shots; where Kawhi screwed up, the missed free throw, 3 pt. shots, and missed rebounds; where Tiago screwed up, the missed shots, rebounds, getting blocked; and where on and on until practically every Spur is accountable?
    Just asking.
    I am not talking about what they did do to keep us in the games.
    I am talking about their mistakes only.
    Just curious as to why you have this, IMHO blind, for lack of a better word, point of view. No offense meant.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's simple: Anyone claiming to not be over it, is either a liar, a casual fan or confused about what over it means. By not being over it, it doesn't mean you're having suicidal thoughts, are constantly depressed or have nightmares about it. It just means it still stings and it still periodically crosses your mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's simple: Anyone claiming to not be over it, is either a liar, a casual fan or confused about what over it means. By not being over it, it doesn't mean you're having suicidal thoughts, are constantly depressed or have nightmares about it. It just means it still stings and it still periodically crosses your mind.
    True.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And that is the most rational way of looking at it.
    But do not forget that we are also proud that the Spurs over achieved too, to the point that they almost walked away with the trophy.
    They gave the best team with the best player in basketball everything they were worth and pretty much dictated the course of that series until the end.
    I was hurt that they lost, but I was equally as proud that they got as far as they did.
    The one almost balances out the other, not quite, but almost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The true scotsman argument has been , is and will always be . Any objective individual would have said the Spurs would be a longshot to win the le even at the beginning of the playoffs. I remember playing Memphis and people acting like we would be lucky to win that series.

I get that people got euphoric when it looked like it was going to be the impossible dream and then dejected when it fell through but that does not just make the rest of the season and the success that they did have go away. 'People need to get over themselves' is just a valid thought as your interpretation of what a 'real' fan is supposed to feel like.

Spurs fans didn't used to have so many front running malcontents.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The true scotsman argument has been , is and will always be . Any objective individual would have said the Spurs would be a longshot to win the le even at the beginning of the playoffs. I remember playing Memphis and people acting like we would be lucky to win that series.

I get that people got euphoric when it looked like it was going to be the impossible dream and then dejected when it fell through but that does not just make the rest of the season and the success that they did have go away. 'People need to get over themselves' is just a valid thought as your interpretation of what a 'real' fan is supposed to feel like.

Spurs fans didn't used to have so many front running malcontents.
    I'm tired of hearing that they overachieved. They never had to play the first/second (depending on who you thought was better between them and the Thunder) best team in the West, nor the third best and the Grizzlies being favored is the most inexplicable prediction I've ever seen. The Spurs were far better offensively, neck and neck defensively and had the two best players in the series and home court. The only way they were losing, was if Parker and Leonard couldn't hold up physically.

And they were always going to have a legit shot at beating the Heat, if healthy, because they matched up better with them than any other team in the league and had a level of desperation to win that no other contender, real or pseudo, could match. We saw with the '11 Mavs how much that matters.

Too bad you're obviously a novice fan/follower, who couldn't see that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm tired of hearing that they overachieved. They never had to play the first/second (depending on who you thought was better between them and the Thunder) best team in the West, nor the third best and the Grizzlies being favored is the most inexplicable prediction I've ever seen. The Spurs were far better offensively, neck and neck defensively and had the two best players in the series and home court. The only way they were losing, was if Parker and Leonard couldn't hold up physically.

And they were always going to have a legit shot at beating the Heat, if healthy, because they matched up better with them than any other team in the league and had a level of desperation to win that no other contender, real or pseudo, could match. We saw with the '11 Mavs how much that matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To some I think they use "overachieved" as a way to cope with the Finals loss.

For me, I thought we had a great chance of getting to the Finals (mainly because of revenge for OKC loss previous year and "internal improvement") and never felt like the Heat were the better team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To some I think they use "overachieved" as a way to cope with the Finals loss.

For me, I thought we had a great chance of getting to the Finals (mainly because of revenge for OKC loss previous year and "internal improvement") and never felt like the Heat were the better team.
    I hate it because some fans just don't seem to get it. The Spurs are supposed to be le contenders. They are supposed to make the Conference Finals/Finals. Do these fans really think we just keep our core so we can lose in the 2nd round and say we had a great season? That's bull . I'm pretty sure the front office expects these guys to win. If that wasn't the case they would go into a complete rebuild mode. That's the way I see it at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Assigning qualifications like your rankings '1st/2nd best' or emotional bull like 'desperation' like some ESPN pundit and fronting that you have some sort of expertise might sell in your own mind but its just the same 'true scotsman' argument and bull in the end. If you are going to argue then you need to do better than that.

What difference does it make what you find 'inexplicible.' If anything that just means you have difficulty explaining things. To me it is simple: people have a different opinion. We were not favored to win and we got close. It is what it is.

If you want to discuss roster composition, the CBA, various types of offensive and defensive systems, specific techniques, the evolution of the NBA game or more specifically the evolution of position prototypes or any other manner of things we can see how 'casual' I am. All I see from you are emotional claptrap, bluster, gross generalizations as qualifications, and ty, tired logic.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm over it. It doesn't sting. You are still a got.

Have a nice day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate it because some fans just don't seem to get it. The Spurs are supposed to be le contenders. They are supposed to make the Conference Finals/Finals. Do these fans really think we just keep our core so we can lose in the 2nd round and say we had a great season? That's bull . I'm pretty sure the front office expects these guys to win. If that wasn't the case they would go into a complete rebuild mode. That's the way I see it at least.
    Prior to last season how had we done in the playoffs the previous three years?

I'll help since you cannot seem to recall the world as it was just a couple of years ago. We were only contenders because Duncan has had one of the more remarkable renaissances in NBA history. I remember watching Duncan struggle against Grant Hill pnr and the the Suns series. I remember watching Memphis, an 8 seed, dominate us. I remember us appearing backdoor swept by the Thunder and supposedly 'cooked.' We weren't 'supposed' to be a damn thing.

It is things like this that make me make front runner comments.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know about many of you, but I never expected them to make it as far as they did, even though I wanted them to.
    In fact every year I want them to, but I do not expect it.
    And after reading many of the sports writers predictions as well as the oddsmakers, it did not look like a likely prospect IMHO.
    I honestly think they exceeded expectations, rather than over achieved. So maybe overachieve is not the best analogy.
    But I'm not here to quibble over semantics.
    I am proud of them for almost getting number 5.
    They have more motivation now and a better team IMHO.
    And I always believed they were better than Miami.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We were not favored to win and we got close.
    "We" didn't play. But the Spurs, given the situation they found themselves in, were overwhelming favorites to win. How overwhelming? Teams in that situation win 99% of the time. You'd have to be in denial to think they shouldn't have won.

All I see from you are emotional claptrap, bluster, gross generalizations as qualifications, and ty, tired logic.
    Is that why you, like so many on this board (including many who pretend they can't stand me, like that fat inbred hick), constantly instantly appear in a thread after I post?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this . The Spurs don't need sad, disappointed fans. Nothing good comes from self pity. The only positive step is to move on and move forward. Wallowing in negativity does not create success. Time to patch up your pussies and support your team. Tim Duncan deserves to go out with positivity from the fanbase.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prior to last season how had we done in the playoffs the previous three years?

I'll help since you cannot seem to recall the world as it was just a couple of years ago. We were only contenders because Duncan has had one of the more remarkable renaissances in NBA history. I remember watching Duncan struggle against Grant Hill pnr and the the Suns series. I remember watching Memphis, an 8 seed, dominate us. I remember us appearing backdoor swept by the Thunder and supposedly 'cooked.' We weren't 'supposed' to be a damn thing.

It is things like this that make me make front runner comments.
    Yeah fool, but the Spurs still kept the core together. They saw something that we didn't. If they truly thought they weren't contenders anymore they would of gone into a full rebuild mode. Do you really think the front office resigned Manu and Tim expecting a 1st/2nd round exit? tf outta here. They expect another le run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "We" didn't play. But the Spurs, given the situation they found themselves in, were overwhelming favorites to win. How overwhelming? Teams in that situation win 99% of the time. You'd have to be in denial to think they shouldn't have won.

Is that why you, like so many on this board (including many who pretend they can't stand me, like that fat inbred hick), constantly instantly appear in a thread after I post?
    Then pick a username because I cannot recall speaking to you on this one. Cry all you want but that you do not dispute my observations is very telling.

If you want to fixate on two minutes of an entire season and judge it only on that then so be it. It pretty much defines small minded to me but so be it.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then pick a username because I cannot recall speaking to you on this one. Cry all you want but that you do not dispute my observations is very telling.

If you want to fixate on two minutes of an entire season and judge it only on that then so be it. It pretty much defines small minded to me but so be it.
    He has a huge inferiority complex...which leads him to think everyone who disagrees with him is against him and has always been. He's a rich mans version of Kidd K tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah fool, but the Spurs still kept the core together. They saw something that we didn't. If they truly thought they weren't contenders anymore they would of gone into a full rebuild mode. Do you really think the front office resigned Manu and Tim expecting a 1st/2nd round exit? tf outta here. They expect another le run.
    The Spurs are a good team and put together a compe ive squad every year. I love them for that. That does not mean we are frontrunners. It seems your world is frontrunner or rebuild. In my world other franchises put out good teams too.

silverblk mystix
    Are you really serious, that Pop should never ever be forgiven?
    And do you truly attribute these finals losses to only Pop and Manu, and no one else?
    Can you not see the instances where TD screwed up, the missed free throws and rebounds; where Green screwed up, the disappearing act after establishing his 3 pt. record; where TP screwed up, the missed shots; where Kawhi screwed up, the missed free throw, 3 pt. shots, and missed rebounds; where Tiago screwed up, the missed shots, rebounds, getting blocked; and where on and on until practically every Spur is accountable?
    Just asking.
    I am not talking about what they did do to keep us in the games.
    I am talking about their mistakes only.
    Just curious as to why you have this, IMHO blind, for lack of a better word, point of view. No offense meant.

I have said this for years now....how can I put this in a nuts ....

Pop as a human being = Awesome. I admire the man a great deal - he really seems like he figured some out and is on a great path.

Pop as an NBA coach - right now - not years ago, not last decade, not in his prime - but right now = Not the coach to win a le. Fire is gone, panics under pressure, overthinks, overcoaches and is generally soft. The same things that make him a great human - make him a soft, too-content coach.

Seriously. Truth is sometimes hard to hear - but truth is truth.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Then you must have amnesia, because we just spoke yesterday, in the thread where you're drooling over Baynes, as if he's the heir apparent to Duncan.

I've said what I had to say. Those that are enlightened and rational, will get it and those that aren't and/or have an automatic bias against everything I say, I'm not going to waste my time even bothering.

You say two minutes as if they were any two minutes. You're either in denial or have a loser mentality . . . either way, you're not worthy of taking up any more of my time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't even thought about the Spurs' Finals performance in months. Now that I am thinking about it, it's no big deal. They gave it a run, did a great job, still got paid ridiculous cash, and now it's a new season. Go Spurs Go! Ready for more entertainment!

Thread Information