Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said, I could care less what anyone else thinks. Those are my feelings and I am not going to apologize for them. If anyone disagrees then that is their God given right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How right you are.
    But let's not forget that 2014 is an even numbered year, for those among you who are supers ious.
    The Spurs also lost their first Finals ever so past supers ions are virtually meaningless, in my opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately the haters in here will claim you have a loser mentality because you are not crying and pining like they are, and because you appear to dismiss it so nonchalantly.
    I, and most of us rational die hard fans, understand why you feel the way you do about it and for the most part agree with you.
    The truth is the previous season is over with and the new season is upon us, and the future looks pretty bright, not bleak.
    Yes, it going a season to remember!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been approximately 162,000 minutes since it happened . . . and, honestly, it hurts. It's a pain deep in the soul that I probably won't ever shake. To be that close to such a great moment -- only to see it slip through the fingers -- is still devastating. Somehow, it seems to have hurt more and more as the summer progressed as the realization set in regarding what exactly was at stake.

Sure, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't mean much. It's not something real. It's not a death or some other sort of real life tragedy. But given that following the Spurs is my only hobby in life, it's painful. I'm not going to even try to lie. It hurts.

I've tried getting away from it all to try to forget about it. But there I was, in the middle of the Pacific on a cruise ship in a pitch black room trying to fall asleep, and all that I can see are those 28 seconds replaying again and again.

Logically, I know the pain doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's just a basketball game. And the Spurs already have four championships. And going into last season, a trip to the Finals would have been seen as a great success. , going into the playoffs, I thought getting to the Western Conference Finals was a success.

Logically, what the Spurs did last year was a great accomplishment. A year ago, if you told me the Spurs would be 28 seconds from a championship, I would have been thrilled.

But damn.

This pain doesn't compare to anything else I've experienced in my Spurs fandom. Yeah, .4 sucked. The foul was tough to swallow. The no-look pass was unpleasant. The backdoor sweeps weren't fun. The frontdoor sweeps weren't enjoyable. But all of those don't even register compared to this.

I've had an extremely busy summer. Life is great -- never better. But it continues to haunt me.

Hopefully going to the game tonight will provide some sort of relief. The great thing about sports is there is always tomorrow. For now, at least, the pain of yesterday outweighs the excitement of tomorrow. I'm hoping that changes. Starting tonight.
    Man up, son. Were winning it all this season tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It still hurts but I'm glad Pop got exposed, game 6 is gonna be the most watched Spurs game of all time, gonna be studied by coaches for year, gonna be replayed over and over again and people will know Pop for losing an unlosable game with his franchise player on the bench for the rest of eternity. That's a fact.
    it's hard to argue with this.

to me, i believe it starts from the top, so Pop brings some great characteristics to the Spurs but also some annoying qualities. He deserves a ton of credit for getting us there but in the end, he ed up and got exposed to a certain degree.

If we had simply gotten beat badly or run out of the gym, then I would have gotten over it quickly and appreciated the journey. But instead I actually felt we were the better team. I felt that if this series was best of 9,11 etc....we would prevail. Ultimately it's what you do in the time given and the Spurs, though mainly Pop and Manu, made a mess of things. That's the part that sucks, as I truly don't hate either guy and respect what they've done.

Some try to tell others to "get over it", i just simply hope people learn from it or address the issue, especially Pop. I hope it lit a fire under his ass. Maybe taking the team to the Air Force Academy was a way for him to get back to basics, I actually thought it was a cool move on his part.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Add Ruff to the list of those either lying, living in denial, or possessing a loser mentality. I'd say I'm surprised, but then I'd just be lying . . . and for the record, we're both well above the range you listed, especially fat, inbred hick.
    Quite frankly, get ed. I am not a liar, nor am I living in denial (of what exactly?).

As for possessing a "loser mentality", what exactly does that mean? It means that I can accept losing? If so, I'm proud of it - I've done plenty of winning in my life, and also plenty of losing, and I can tell you I learned a lot more from the losing than the winning. Also, without the losing I wouldn't appreciate, savour and be so grateful for the wins when they come along. You, OTOH, sound like a spoiled child.

IMHO, a loser mentality is placing all emphasis on whether you win or lose rather than valuing the process. The Spurs played their hearts out, never gave up, showed incredible courage and persistence in the face of extreme adversity, and lost with honour against a team that was very slightly better than them when it mattered. In the process those two teams gave us the best Finals series in a decade, it's just a pity we got a few bad bounces and they cost us the rings.

At least someone around here knows what I'm talking about.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't bother typing out a serious response to him Ruff. He's a dumbass who tries too hard to be some sort of opinionated rebel. He sounds smart, but his only sticks to the wall for those who don't actually think while they are reading it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two evenly matched teams and one gets the lucky bounce, and they're crowned prohibitive favorites.

Shows how much sports coverage is "what have you done for me lately".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idgaf what anyone says, the Spurs failed. No matter how many times you try to justify it, or how many ways you try to spin in, they failed when it mattered the most. We aren't the Jazz/Warriors/Clippers, the Spurs were supposed to be there and they were supposed to win. that loser "lucky to be here" mentality.
    What people like you don't get is that there are two teams on the court, not to mention the role of pure chance, and that to be beaten is not always the same as "failing".

Let me give you an example. Kawhi Leonard, best rebounder in the series, had the rebound on LBJ's first miss go straight to him, only LBJ had bricked it so badly that Kawhi couldn't hold onto it, even with his gigantic hands. That was sheer bad luck. Even if Timmy was there he would not have been able to grab that board - the shot was just too bad, and it came of the backboard like a rocket. Kawhi did get hands to it though, so the ball then went straight up in the air and 3 Spurs leaped for it, spoiling each other in the process. Meanwhile Dwyane Wade, who was quietly excellent in the clutch, came in from the side and made his most athletic play of the series to tip the ball out to himself. We were unlucky in our desperation, and Wade was superb right when it mattered. That is the nature of sports and life. And you describe that as "failure"!?

Some times you lose through very little fault of your own, and to ignore the other forces at play (the other team, luck) and classify every loss as a "failure" is insulting to the Spurs and all that they leave on the floor to try and make people like you happy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quite frankly, get ed. I am not a liar, nor am I living in denial (of what exactly?).

As for possessing a "loser mentality", what exactly does that mean? It means that I can accept losing? If so, I'm proud of it - I've done plenty of winning in my life, and also plenty of losing, and I can tell you I learned a lot more from the losing than the winning. Also, without the losing I wouldn't appreciate, savour and be so grateful for the wins when they come along. You, OTOH, sound like a spoiled child.

IMHO, a loser mentality is placing all emphasis on whether you win or lose rather than valuing the process. The Spurs played their hearts out, never gave up, showed incredible courage and persistence in the face of extreme adversity, and lost with honour against a team that was very slightly better than them when it mattered. In the process those two teams gave us the best Finals series in a decade, it's just a pity we got a few bad bounces and they cost us the rings.
    Ruff, there really isn't a point explaining to this lot. This is their only way to show their supposed fandom - by being whiny es and claiming they'll never be over it - because all the other bull they spew has nothing to show in terms of support for the team. Let them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if "overachieving" is the word, but a lot of things certainly came together for last season's run.

There were a few factors that were far from sure going into the playoffs:
    - The team played it's best defense in the middle of the regular season, and dropped a bit at the end. In hindsight you could argue they were coasting to the playoffs, but you really never know until you get there.
    - Kawhi missed a bunch of games due to his knee, and you just didn't know if that was going to eventually affect him.
    - Kawhi was also on his sop re season, and while you take whatever he could give you, he really elevated his game, which wasn't a sure thing going in.
    - Timmy has looked gassed in previous seasons by the time the playoffs rolled around. This time he looked great.
    - Manu had back to back strains, and he only came back in the last game of the regular season.
    - Danny was coming from disappearing against OKC in the WCF the season before. This time he mostly keep things together and contributed greatly.
    - With Diaw you just didn't know what you were going to get. Fortunately, we had one of the best versions in general.
    - I thought the matchups turned out to be favorable, and some stuff helped us, like Westbrook and Curry injuries.

Fact is, most of that stuff came all together. It's stuff you can't assume will always fall like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ruff, there really isn't a point explaining to this lot. This is their only way to show their supposed fandom - by being whiny es and claiming they'll never be over it - because all the other bull they spew has nothing to show in terms of support for the team. Let them.
    So Timvp is a whiny ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's needless to say that it is neither here nor there regarding all the pain and anguish stemming from this past June. It's a new, albeit of course long, season and an exciting one at that with many storylines that will surely follow. I've said it once and I'll say it again: I hope that when the playoffs start the Spurs will steamroll through the West en route to a Finals appearance, whether there's controversy involving a questionable win or two or not.
    And when Game 1 starts against presumably the Heat, that's when the REAL season starts.

Until that time in June, every time I think of the Spurs and/or the Heat, I think of a certain Godfather of Soul song.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if "overachieving" is the word, but a lot of things certainly came together for last season's run.

- The team played it's best defense in the middle of the regular season, and dropped a bit at the end. In hindsight you could argue they were coasting to the playoffs, but you really never know until you get there.
    - Kawhi missed a bunch of games due to his knee, and you just didn't know if that was going to eventually affect him.
    - Kawhi was also on his sop re season, and while you take whatever he could give you, he really elevated his game, which wasn't a sure thing going in.
    - Timmy has looked gassed in previous seasons by the time the playoffs rolled around. This time he looked great.
    - Manu had back to back strains, and he only came back in the last game of the regular season.
    - Danny was coming from disappearing against OKC in the WCF the season before. This time he mostly keep things together and contributed greatly.
    - With Diaw you just didn't know what you were going to get. Fortunately, we had one of the best versions in general.
    - I thought the matchups turned out to be favorable, and some stuff helped us, like Westbrook and Curry injuries.

Fact is, most of that stuff came all together. It's stuff you can't assume will always fall like that.
    The goods. It's seems like finals appearance and being seconds away from five is causing quite a lot of confusion about some of the things the Spurs overcome to even make it back there. If anything the odds were 50/50 and increased as the things you mentioned fell into place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The East is tough this year. Lets just take care of biz in the West and see where that lands us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you call to being real "going kobyz" so be it... Honestly timvp was understatment his feelings here, the pain is much larger and deeper than what he describe... Too bad too many people here are hypocrites or living in denial, they have problem to admit that this dissepointment is somthing else than all dissepointments this world could offer, the biggest and most cruel dissepointment ever!! Dissepointment that keep you torn and agonized until your last day(and maybe even after)...
    timvp said he enjoyed his summer and was pretty happy overall with his life. You on the other hand said the Pop ruined your life and sounded like you were about to slit your wrists and leave a blood written suicide note for Popovich

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes, a few breaks here and there, can really help. Ask Miami about Tony's hamstring. I like this take as a reminder of what a good season we had. Every season has it's own special qualities and I believe the season ahead will be an intense one. I am certainly more optimistic than I was at the beginning of last year.

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Logically, I know the pain doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's just a basketball game. And the Spurs already have four championships. And going into last season, a trip to the Finals would have been seen as a great success. , going into the playoffs, I thought getting to the Western Conference Finals was a success.

Logically, what the Spurs did last year was a great accomplishment. A year ago, if you told me the Spurs would be 28 seconds from a championship, I would have been thrilled.

But damn.
    I try to tell myself that game 6 was just basketball karma swinging the other way. Didn't Horry bail the Spurs out in the '05 finals game 5 just as much as Allen did for the Heat in last year's game 6? It still bothers me when I think about it in terms of what it would have meant to Duncan's legacy. But I feel damn good that the Spurs will have the opportunity to make it back to the finals if health issues don't derail them. It remains to be seen if daring Lebron to shoot will be an effective defense the second time around if they do get back though. A couple things in particular still bother me, though:

1. I don't disagree w/ waiving Jack - if he was the source of team disunity he had to go. But it's really a shame. For all his diminished skills, you KNOW he would have hit a couple of the shots Danny Green missed in games 6 & 7. Green was 1-7 & 1-12 in the final two games. I remember he missed a lot of shots, but . That pretty much cancelled out the first five games he had.

2. From a basketball philosophy perspective, I'm still puzzled by Pop's snearing remark after game 6 when a reporter asked him why they didn't foul when they were up three and (paraphrasing) he responded with 'that's what they do in Europe, real men in the NBA don't do that .' What I don't get is Pop has never been shy about exploiting the rules in other ways - hack a Shaq / Dwight for example. How is one of these strategies acceptable by whatever nba manly coaching / playing code he has and the other is beneath him? I want some consistency here in the answers. Own it & admit you ed up, or get over yourself & admit you were being a hypocrite.

Okay. fully vented. time for next season.

Believe.
    Last edited by Mark in Austin; 10-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No guarantee that the tendonosis won't return, either. Elliott's was so bad he had to have surgery.

This year is also anything but a sure thing. Can he carry more of a load to make up for the diminishing skills of the other aging core players? It looks likely, but carrying a team without being highly effective off the dribble is tricky. What is his true ceiling? Poor man's Pippen? A smarter, more heady Shawn Marion? It will be interesting to watch.

Can it happen again? If he's healthy, I like the Spurs chances. If he's not, it's over.

Can Manu adjust his game to his diminished athleticism? If he can't he'll be the ineffective turnover machine we saw at times last year. If he can, he can still be an irreplaceable player for the team.

Until it REALLY mattered. In games 6 & 7 Green shot 2-19 combined. The Spurs 3 & D players have to hit shots, period. True, Green improved overall. Can he make similar strides this next season?

Looks like Diaw is in pretty decent shape again this year. Fingers crossed.

I think the injury that most directly effected the Spurs was David Lee's. If he was healthy, GS wouldn't have played nearly as much small ball that scrambled the Spurs defense.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So according to ElNono & Benefactor, it will be very difficult for the Spurs to win another championship because we had luck on our side. A lot of things happened during the playoffs that made the stars seemed aligned for us but their favorite player Manu played so fking garbage that Pop and Manu nullified all the luck we had. Now I get why these two have this "lets just be grateful that we have 4 tles." I understand how difficult it is to acknowledge that Manu (Pop to a greater extent) cost us the tle.

Just what I've been saying all along. The Pop lovers and Manu fanboys are the least hurt about Game 6 and rather move on because the truth would be so painful to them, the exact same reason why Manu was in denial during the offseason with his "so-and-so" self-evaluation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So according to ElNono & Benefactor, it will be very difficult for the Spurs to win another championship because we had luck on our side. A lot of things happened during the playoffs that made the stars seemed aligned for us but their favorite player Manu played so fking garbage that Pop and Manu nullified all the luck we had. Now I get why these two have this "lets just be grateful that we have 4 tles." I understand how difficult it is to acknowledge that Manu (Pop to a greater extent) cost us the tle.

Just what I've been saying all along. The Pop lovers and Manu fanboys are the least hurt about Game 6 and rather move on because the truth would be so painful to them, the exact same reason why Manu was in denial during the offseason with his "so-and-so" self-evaluation.
    N b4 d banhammah

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If that is what you have been saying all along then you are none too bright.

You have a punitive personality that feels the need to assign blame and exact some sort of retribution. Not all people feel like that. I hope that you are not projecting something more deep seated onto us as you the bed.

It's just too bad that you also have to do it in such a dumbed down version like the "Popsucker" and "Manu " nonsense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that is what you have been saying all along then you are none too bright.
    I didn't read his post, but your assessment is correct regardless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't help but keep spamming the forums with the same old

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2. From a basketball philosophy perspective, I'm still puzzled by Pop's snearing remark after game 6 when a reporter asked him why they didn't foul when they were up three and (paraphrasing) he responded with 'that's what they do in Europe, real men in the NBA don't do that .' What I don't get is Pop has never been shy about exploiting the rules in other ways - hack a Shaq / Dwight for example. How is one of these strategies acceptable by whatever nba manly coaching / playing code he has and the other is beneath him? I want some consistency here in the answers. Own it & admit you ed up, or get over yourself & admit you were being a hypocrite.

Thread Information