Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What still sucks about losing in 2013 is Duncan not getting another finals mvp. Still such a great series. I can actually watch Game 6 and 7 now without feeling the pain. It was really great basketball those last two games.

Those 2 years of playoff basketball were so entertaining. Sweeping the “this is gonna be fun” Lakers, getting revenge on Memphis, the 2013 series with Golden State, getting revenge on Dallas/OKC/Miami in one le run. What a great run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, Timmy was going to run away with FMVP in 2013

he was also a monster in game 6 before lebron lost the headband

2013 also being way more recent than 0.4 has an effect too. but 0.4 (and to a lesser degree, manu fouling dirk) put dents in what could have been Duncan's even greater legacy. if the spurs 3-peated in 03/04/05 while knocking off the lakers twice and beating those pistons twice... wowza. though its certainly no lock we would have beaten detroit in 04 anyway. , we only won 05 because of horry going ape

but 2013 was literally seconds from a chip. no other "what ifs" along the way

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .4 always enrages me. I felt Duncan's shot would have been legendary and even bigger than Jordan's shot on Ehlo since he hit that shot on both Shaq and Malone. That shot would have been replayed so many times for many years. It would have been a legacy boost for Duncan. I felt we got deprived of that when .4 happened.

I never feel any pain about '13 or '06. They both sucked but the redemption of winning it all the next year wiped away the pain.
    I feel the same way about 2004. That's the biggest "what if" moment for me as a Spurs fan, even bigger than anything in 2013. Duncan's shot was that close to legend status.

But the Spurs won it all the next year in 2005, why didn't that wipe away the pain the way the 2007 and 2014 les did?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel the same way about 2004. That's the biggest "what if" moment for me as a Spurs fan, even bigger than anything in 2013. Duncan's shot was that close to legend status.

But the Spurs won it all the next year in 2005, why didn't that wipe away the pain the way the 2007 and 2014 les did?
    It goes back to how Duncan was deprived of a generational historical moment that he would never have an opportunity to replicate again. Plus I never felt that shot should have counted it really felt like robbery. In '06 Manu's foul on Dirk was legit. Yeah it sucked but it was the right call so it didn't feel like robbery. In '13 the Spurs lost because of Pop's stupid subs ution which lead to the Spurs being undersized and unable to get rebounds along with Kawhi not making both free throws to put away Miami. It hurt to lose in '06 and '13 but I didn't feel the Spurs got robbed but beat themselves with making crucial mistake in crunch time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing hurts. 2014 healed everything. Best championship ever.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .4 always enrages me. I felt Duncan's shot would have been legendary and even bigger than Jordan's shot on Ehlo since he hit that shot on both Shaq and Malone. That shot would have been replayed so many times for many years. It would have been a legacy boost for Duncan. I felt we got deprived of that when .4 happened.

I never feel any pain about '13 or '06. They both sucked but the redemption of winning it all the next year wiped away the pain.
    .4 is definitely the one that bothers me the most, but 2013 isn't too far behind. Both would have boosted Tim's legacy as he was also going to win Finals MVP in 2013. 2006 sucks too, but yeah, those two still bother me the most. I don't like thinking about any of the three (the foul on Dirk may have been legit, but what about Tim getting hacked at the end of regulation - that was a clear foul too. Also, earlier in the series (games 3 and 4), the Spurs got screwed on foul calls where both Tim and Manu fouled out in each of those games when they were dominating the 4th quarter. I don't like any of those series. They all get me agitated even thinking about them. I will say, though, that 2013 might have moved to the top of the list for me if the Spurs didn't redeem it in 2014. Getting redemption is 2014 really changed it for me and probably a lot of other people/fans.
    Last edited by Ice009; 12-04-2021 at 05:56 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not signing Scola was the biggest WHAT IF for me. I’m pretty sure Spurs could’ve used him against the Lakers to bang against Gasol, and maybe deprived Kobe his 4th and 5th rings. I know Spurs could’ve used him against Randolph and Ibaka, or maybe got the rebound in that ill-fated 2013. I don’t know. Scola was meant to play for the Spurs, and surely the one who got away. How I wish to have seen seen him play with Manu in the Spurs uniform, and helped Timmy rebound and defend instead of Bonner, and maybe prolonged Timmy’s career another one or two years? I’m sure he could’ve help got us 1-2 rings, eclipsed Jordan’s ring count, deprived Kobe his 4th and 5th, and got Timmy in GOAT conversation. Scola would have been a beloved Spur up there with the big 3.
    Last edited by John B; 12-04-2021 at 08:48 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .4 is definitely the one that bothers me the most, but 2013 isn't too far behind. Both would have boosted Tim's legacy as he was also going to win Finals MVP in 2013. 2006 sucks too, but yeah, those two still bother me the most. I don't like thinking about any of the three (the foul on Dirk may have been legit, but what about Tim getting hacked at the end of regulation - that was a clear foul too. Also, earlier in the series (games 3 and 4), the Spurs got screwed on foul calls where both Tim and Manu fouled out in each of those games when they were dominating the 4th quarter. I don't like any of those series. They all get me agitated even thinking about them. I will say, though, that 2013 might have moved to the top of the list for me if the Spurs didn't redeem it in 2014. Getting redemption is 2014 really changed it for me and probably a lot of other people/fans.
    I do remember the refs call a lot of bs fouls on the Spurs in game 3 and game 4 of the '06 series against the Mavs. That series had a lot of corruption and you can say the Spurs were robbed in that series. I guess for me .4 always angers me the most because like I said before it deprived us as fans and Duncan of a generation shot that would have been talked about for decades. You don't get many opportunities for those type of moments.

It was also against the most hated rival of Duncan era which was the Lakers. The Mavs were hateable but not on the level as the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. Plus they offed themselves a year later with that choke job against the Warriors. If .4 didn't happen I don't think Kobe-Shaq and Phil would ever live down the Duncan shot. It would haunt them forever and that would have been enjoyable. Especially Shaq knowing how fragile his ego is I would have enjoyed the misery he would have had to endure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not signing Scola was the biggest WHAT IF for me. I’m pretty sure Spurs could’ve used him against the Lakers to bang against Gasol, and maybe deprived Kobe his 4th and 5th rings. I know Spurs could’ve used him against Randolph and Ibaka, or maybe got the rebound in that ill-fated 2013. I don’t know. Scola was meant to play for the Spurs, and surely the one who got away. How I wish to have seen seen him play with Manu in the Spurs uniform, and helped Timmy rebound and defend instead of Bonner, and maybe prolonged Timmy’s career another one or two years? I’m sure he could’ve help got us 1-2 rings, eclipsed Jordan’s ring count, deprived Kobe his 4th and 5th, and got Timmy in GOAT conversation. Scola would have been a beloved Spur up there with the big 3.

This is now a Scola thread.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is now a Scola thread.
    What if threads always do

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just basketball