Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been approximately 162,000 minutes since it happened . . . and, honestly, it hurts. It's a pain deep in the soul that I probably won't ever shake. To be that close to such a great moment -- only to see it slip through the fingers -- is still devastating. Somehow, it seems to have hurt more and more as the summer progressed as the realization set in regarding what exactly was at stake.

Sure, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't mean much. It's not something real. It's not a death or some other sort of real life tragedy. But given that following the Spurs is my only hobby in life, it's painful. I'm not going to even try to lie. It hurts.

I've tried getting away from it all to try to forget about it. But there I was, in the middle of the Pacific on a cruise ship in a pitch black room trying to fall asleep, and all that I can see are those 28 seconds replaying again and again.

Logically, I know the pain doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's just a basketball game. And the Spurs already have four championships. And going into last season, a trip to the Finals would have been seen as a great success. , going into the playoffs, I thought getting to the Western Conference Finals was a success.

Logically, what the Spurs did last year was a great accomplishment. A year ago, if you told me the Spurs would be 28 seconds from a championship, I would have been thrilled.

But damn.

This pain doesn't compare to anything else I've experienced in my Spurs fandom. Yeah, .4 sucked. The foul was tough to swallow. The no-look pass was unpleasant. The backdoor sweeps weren't fun. The frontdoor sweeps weren't enjoyable. But all of those don't even register compared to this.

I've had an extremely busy summer. Life is great -- never better. But it continues to haunt me.

Hopefully going to the game tonight will provide some sort of relief. The great thing about sports is there is always tomorrow. For now, at least, the pain of yesterday outweighs the excitement of tomorrow. I'm hoping that changes. Starting tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good to have you back comrade!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, look at the bright side: they have two more shots before the door officially closes, and the Spurs' biggest compe ion out West is an OKC team with no depth and a Clippers team with obvious flaws.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was already dialing my father who was at work (truck driver) and then Allen hits that 3...he told me to call him only if the Spurs had won. Damn you Shuttlesworth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's Aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Welcome back Timvp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJ going kobyz on us guys

Good to see you back brah, the upstairs has been severely lacking without your insight

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can relate to you. I was sitting in a hospital recently with a sick family member, and even THEN I thought about the Spurs loss.

The only way to look at it is as cold hard statistics. The odds of losing Game 6 at that point were about 1% I'm told. Then you throw in the fact that we also could have won Game 7 and the odds of losing the entire series when were were up with 28 seconds in 6, were about 1 in 200.

But, if I recall, we were the first playoff team to ever come back from such a deficit in so little time in Game 1 of the Warriors series. The odds on that were between 1 in 300 and 1 in 1000 depending on who you ask.

So, during the Spurs playoff run, the Spurs themselves had one statistically miraculous comeback go their way (against the Warriors) and one go against them (the Heat). It happened both ways. We were neither lucky nor unlucky. It's just the random outliers of probability.

It doesn't really help much, I know. But if you bemoan the Heat loss, then we should remember how damn lucky we got against Goldenstate Game 1.

That said, I'll remember that loss forever, just like you, and many of us on this board.

Look forward to a great season!
    Last edited by BillMc; 10-09-2013 at 06:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp = kobyz?

Welcome back, LJ.

Look on the bright side, our guys motivated for another run. We may not win this season either but its going to be fun.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've tried getting away from it all to try to forget about it. But there I was, in the middle of the Pacific on a cruise ship in a pitch black room trying to fall asleep, and all that I can see are those 28 seconds replaying again and again.
    Damn man, I took it pretty good when it happened, but now I get ing nightmares about it. Like the one I had a few days ago when the NBA let the Spurs replay Game 7 for some reason and it ended up just like 28.2.

I don't think that loss is ever going away or getting better tbh RT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, the day after the Spurs lost, I realized that I felt the same after the Ravens had won the Super Bowl. I watch sports for entertainment, and I care about winning only to the point that it allows the teams I follow to play more. The Spurs made it all the way to the end, and for that, I'm a happy fan.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't read all that emo nonsense.

Sack up bro. As you go this forum tends to go...so put your boots back on the trail and leave the dead where they lie. It's time to get back to work.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, the day after the Spurs lost, I realized that I felt the same after the Ravens had won the Super Bowl. I watch sports for entertainment, and I care about winning only to the point that it allows the teams I follow to play more. The Spurs made it all the way to the end, and for that, I'm a happy fan.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would have been better had the Spurs just got outplayed the whole game in Game 6 like they were in Game 7. I don't think I'd sweat losing to Miami at all had it gone down like that. But to be 28.2 seconds away from at worst the second greatest upset in Finals history...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The first few weeks after the Finals were really tough. But for me, its been easier as the time has passed. Like timvp said , there's always a tomorrow. The Spurs have at least two more years in the Duncan era to get him another championship. If they can't pull it off, then it was never meant to be.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone that says that they didn't get a little EMO after 6 is lying to themselves.

Especially if you are a member of Spurstalk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, did kobyz hack timvp's account?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good to hear from you, timvp

I look forward to your thoughts as we move forward. Please share your observations tonight.

If any team can rebound from that horrific 28 seconds, it is the Spurs. In fact, they might just be more focused and motivated than ever.
    Let's see if this board can follow suit and move forward. Strangely, I believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp, back from his abode in the banana republics, taking care of business, exposing his soul and not giving a damn about e-reps....

but yeah that loss threw me for a loop, i'm not even as hardcore a Spurs fan as some, but i've invested long enough to eat several sandwiches, and this was the ultimate one. I stand by what I said originally, the worst pains are the self inflicted ones and this was us ultimately fumbling something beautiful. That's tough even typing tbh. Just gotta hope to get things fixed, play our best and receive a miracle or two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hoping the players take the pain and turn it into the appropriate anger and focus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can relate to you. I was sitting in a hospital recently with a sick family member, and even THEN I thought about the Spurs loss.
    I was at a funeral giving a eulogy while my car was being broken into and even then,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ur not alone brotha. I was clinically depressed for at least 2 weeks. Romo of course doesn't make it better.

Can we forward to playoffs already?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was at a funeral giving a eulogy while my car was being broken into and even then,

Actually, I was serious. Not that I'm proud of it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We also have to deal with this every effin game. They're going to bring up how close we were and this and that. And when we play the Heat? Forget about it, the replays will be unbearable to watch.

Thread Information