Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just recently built a PC and have no regrets. I can afford the PS5 if I end up wanting one, but I'm having so much fun with games you normally only find on PC anyway, so I'm good.
    PC will always be best for FPS and strategy games for sure. I can't stand fps with a controller. As bad as the value is right now, I keep itching to buy an RTX 2060 to play Control with ray-traced reflections (they look amazing) since the new DLSS-2.0 implementation allows 1080p60 with RTX high with that card in the game. But I know I'll regret paying $350 for one in 4-5 months when AMD's RDNA2 cards come out and blow it out of the water. And same for Nvidia's Ampere. Or if PS5/XSX get updated ports of Control with RT turned on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ive been sitting on a cpu 3600x + b450 that i purchased of fb marketplace for 300aud before the covit outbreak

i still havnt finished my build, and the stupid prices for pc parts have skyrocket by 30% with the stupid tanking aud dollar.... i probably just wait till the new amphere/amd cards come out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Civ VI free on Epic Game Store right now. Aren't you a big Civ fan, hater?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the money, the GTX 1070 Ti is probably the best bang for the buck right now
    Bend over, I'll give you the best bang for your buck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol intel 10th gen, same bull as 9th and 8th gen.. they to focus on high mhz then clock per cycle actions...

dunno why the geeks on yt are comparing these cpus to 2nd gen ryzen 3xxx cpus and barely beat it in benchmarks while costing a premium
    cant wait for 3rd gen ryzen 4xxx cpus to take a dump on 10th gen intels...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might have to go with Ryzen next build, tbh... just added a 7TB SSD and new power brick to this box, so I'm ok for a while, but if we keep doing Unreal stuff, those Threadrippers are ridiculous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I see... that $820 system is total horse for the money. Only 8GB of RAM and a terrible GTX 1650 gpu. It's such a bad deal that the system I spent $800 on in 2014 (GTX 970, Xeon E3-1231v3, 8GB RAM) would actually still be a better gaming system today. Seriously. You should seriously build your own . It's as easy as Legos. Here is a system for $850 with a gpu (1660 Super) that gives roughly 70% higher framerate than a 1650 at 1440p, has twice as much RAM, has a much better cpu, has an SSD, and has a board that will allow you to install a PCIE-4.0 SSD later on if you want and also has wifi and bluetooth built in.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ B&H)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.98 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($67.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $852.91
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-16 17:04 EDT-0400

Though add another $20 or so to buy a Windows 10 license from a key reseller, I know there is a forum on reddit where people sell their unused volume license keys for Windows 10 Home for ~$20 or so.

If you really have to hit that $820 price though you can go to a cheaper B450 board, though you'll never be able to use a PCIE-4.0 SSD later on, and you might have to do a BIOS upgrade beforehand if going B450. And you could go with a $40 1TB hard drive instead of a $60 480GB SSD. Though surely you have other mechanical drives you can recycle from an old computer, right?

If you have never built a PC don't be intimated, it's quite easy. There is a youtuber called Carey Holzman who has complete build videos that show just how easy it is to build a PC in extreme detail, and I highly recommend watching some of his build videos if you have never built a PC before. Though he always uses Intel processors. Which I would not now because not only are AMD processors better right now, but they're cheaper too.

This system won't be as good as PS5, but should be enough to outperform the rumored XBox Series S.
    what you think about the parts here? don't have to watch the whole 2 hours the parts are on the table at the beginning:

@10minutes he starts going through individual parts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what you think about the parts here? don't have to watch the whole 2 hours the parts are on the table at the beginning:

@10minutes he starts going through individual parts
    Honestly, I didn't watch it once I saw he had a GTX 1660 instead of GTX 1660 Super. The GTX 1660 Super is about 13% faster for $10 to $20 more than the GTX 1660, and you shouldn't skimp on gpu for a gaming build, especially when he's wasting money on an RGB cpu cooler for a cpu that doesn't overclock worth a anyways. It is worlds better than that Alienware system though if he used an R5 3600 or better for cpu.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 05-23-2020 at 12:46 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I didn't watch it once I saw he had a GTX 1660 instead of GTX 1660 Super. The GTX 1660 Super is about 13% faster for $10 to $20 more than the GTX 1660, and you shouldn't skimp on gpu for a gaming build, especially when he's wasting money on an RGB cpu cooler for a cpu that doesn't overclock worth a anyways. It is worlds better than that Alienware system though if he used an R5 3600 or better for cpu.
    cool

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJR210, so after joining back in the PCMR, is Divinity Sin Original 2 an absolute must play?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're looking to go as cheap as you can while having something that should probably be better than say XBox Series S (eg the rumored Lockhart) this would maybe get you there:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($72.99 @ Best Buy)
    Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Video Card ($229.98 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $766.90
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-23 13:23 EDT-0400

The only maybe is because it won't support PCIE-4.0 SSD, and I don't know if the Series S is going to use the same kind of high end SSD like Series X and PS5 will have. Two big caveats here though:

1. A B450 motherboard won't support PCIE-4.0 SSD, and I keep reading how big a deal PCIE-4.0 SSD is going to be for next gen games
    2. There is an off-chance you'll have to do a BIOS update before you can use that CPU on a B450 board. Most boards will let you do BIOS updates from a flash drive now for cases like this where you have a cpu (R5 3600) newer than the chipset (B450) that would only be supported by newer BIOS. Not sure if this one does though, so you should check before buying.

Which is why I recommend just biting the bullet and buying an expensive X570 motherboard like the one I posted a few posts before. Especially since that specific ASUS X570 board has wifi and bluetooth built-in in addition to the PCIE-4.0 support.

Also sadly power supplies are very overpriced right now. They're the one PC component that has been completely ed by COVID. So if you have a decent still working 450W or better psu I'd just stick with it until PSU prices come down and you can get something really nice for $50 to $70.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 05-23-2020 at 12:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're looking to go as cheap as you can while having something that should probably be better than say XBox Series S (eg the rumored Lockhart) this would maybe get you there:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($72.99 @ Best Buy)
    Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Video Card ($229.98 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $766.90
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-23 13:23 EDT-0400

The only maybe is because it won't support PCIE-4.0 SSD, and I don't know if the Series S is going to use the same kind of high end SSD like Series X and PS5 will have. Two big caveats here though:

1. A B450 motherboard won't support PCIE-4.0 SSD, and I keep reading how big a deal PCIE-4.0 SSD is going to be for next gen games
    2. There is an off-chance you'll have to do a BIOS update before you can use that CPU on a B450 board. Most boards will let you do BIOS updates from a flash drive now for cases like this where you have a cpu (R5 3600) newer than the chipset (B450) that would only be supported by newer BIOS. Not sure if this one does though, so you should check before buying.

Which is why I recommend just biting the bullet and buying an expensive X570 motherboard like the one I posted a few posts before. Especially since that specific ASUS X570 board has wifi and bluetooth built-in in addition to the PCIE-4.0 support.

Also sadly power supplies are very overpriced right now. They're the one PC component that has been completely ed by COVID. So if you have a decent still working 450W or better psu I'd just stick with it until PSU prices come down and you can get something really nice for $50 to $70.
    I'll check this out when I get off work thank you very much

about that video, he was tasked with building a gaming pc with the cap at 850. I'm sure he was aware of the upgrade imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll check this out when I get off work thank you very much

about that video, he was tasked with building a gaming pc with the cap at 850. I'm sure he was aware of the upgrade imo
    I watched a few minutes more. It was a really terrible build. He was doing it with a Ryzen 3 3300X. That's only a quadcore cpu, no one should be buying those in 2020. That 750 watt expensive power supply is stupid as too, especially when power supplies are really expensive right now. Even a 550 watt psu is overkill for a system like that. I use 450W and that's overkill for me using a GTX 1660 Super and a cpu (Xeon E3-1231v3) that consumes more power. Then a $90 case, waste of money. Though his build sucks because it looks like he just made it not to hit a budget, but out of parts he could get companies to send him for free for the advertising in his video.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched a few minutes more. It was a really terrible build. He was doing it with a Ryzen 3 3300X. That's only a quadcore cpu, no one should be buying those in 2020. That 750 watt expensive power supply is stupid as too, especially when power supplies are really expensive right now. Even a 550 watt psu is overkill for a system like that. I use 450W and that's overkill for me using a GTX 1660 Super and a cpu (Xeon E3-1231v3) that consumes more power. Then a $90 case, waste of money. Though his build sucks because it looks like he just made it not to hit a budget, but out of parts he could get companies to send him for free for the advertising in his video.
    not saying its a good build, but he went overkill on the power supply to be able to upgrade to 4th gen ryzen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not saying its a good build, but he went overkill on the power supply to be able to upgrade to 4th gen ryzen
    He doesn't need an extra 200 watts for a chip that will likely consume the same as Ryzen 3rd gen.. eg 65W for most of the parts, 95W for the highest clocked stuff. That's a $120 power supply and a total waste in 2020. You wouldn't need that kind of power unless you were doing say a highly overclocked i9-9900k + RTX 2080 Super level build. And even then 750W is still overkill. Antec HCG are good power supplies but this isn't 2010 where you needed a lot of power for a good gaming PC. If he wanted to overspend for future proofing he should have overspent on the motherboard to get PCIE-4.0. Or overspend on the gpu since it's the most important part of a gaming system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris

should check if the b450 mobo u getting supports ryzen gen 3 cpus thats stated to be released during the year...not all b450 boards are built equally or will be able to support the new cpus when they come out...only handful will be compatible with bios updates and then u cant roll it back to support ryzen 1 and 2 cpus = its going to brick the mobo from what amd confirms...so yeh get a good mobo b450 or b550/x570 if u can if u do intend to upgrade in the future to ryzen 3rd gen cpus 4xxx

amd is releasing rehash gen 2 cpus, dunno why continue to waste materials when they can just lower the price of their existing lineup

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, if you're going to throw a few extra bucks on future-proofing, PCIE 4.0 is where it's at these days. You want 700+W if you're running 12+ cores at full tilt (maybe you do) and lots of fans, but then again, a PSU is truly a modular component, and frankly, you should probably invest in a quality Seasonic and the like for a few extra bucks but it'll last you a long time. A few extra watts won't hurt you either.

It's just somewhat of a bad time to build if you're looking for a deal, likely you can get a much better picture in 6-8 months.

There's China's production taking a hit which means you'll probably spend extra money in a few areas. AMD mentioned this is probably the last batch of CPUs that will use their AM4 socket (Intel changes every 2-3 iterations), next gen consoles are around the corner and will somewhat redefine what base gaming hardware will look like and probably set some price points on what that base should cost.

Then again, if you feel you're going to upgrade some stuff in a couple of years anyways, then none of that matters, so YMMV.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris

should check if the b450 mobo u getting supports ryzen gen 3 cpus thats stated to be released during the year...not all b450 boards are built equally or will be able to support the new cpus when they come out...only handful will be compatible with bios updates and then u cant roll it back to support ryzen 1 and 2 cpus = its going to brick the mobo from what amd confirms...so yeh get a good mobo b450 or b550/x570 if u can if u do intend to upgrade in the future to ryzen 3rd gen cpus 4xxx

amd is releasing rehash gen 2 cpus, dunno why continue to waste materials when they can just lower the price of their existing lineup
    It's so confusing that Ryzen 3 means Ryzen 4000 series while Ryzen 3000 series is Ryzen 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's so confusing that Ryzen 3 means Ryzen 4000 series while Ryzen 3000 series is Ryzen 2.
    lol just like their upcoming rdna2 cards for the 5700xt cards which base on rdna1, is there really a need to rehash and continue using the 5700 product lineup name? just call it a 6xxx series card, theres really no need for rehash cards and stupid anniversary cards

hence amd rnda2 cards will just be able to go toe to toe with 2080ti hopefully, but then nvidia has the cards 3xxx series coming out...amd will be behind the curve ball again, so much for big navi or nvidia killer card...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all these nerds and wankers on yt with overclock records with liquid nitrogen and bragging...doesnt make sense to the avg pc consumer who cant get access or no need for liquid nitrogen...

only records worth talking about is water or on air...

the new rehash amd cpus 2nd gen...lol high base and boost speed...not bad...just cutting into intels profit margins till gen3 is released, only to see intel rushed out a gen11 horsee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all these nerds and wankers on yt with overclock records with liquid nitrogen and bragging...doesnt make sense to the avg pc consumer who cant get access or no need for liquid nitrogen...

only records worth talking about is water or on air...

the new rehash amd cpus 2nd gen...lol high base and boost speed...not bad...just cutting into intels profit margins till gen3 is released, only to see intel rushed out a gen11 horsee
    Intel finally came correct with a 6C/12T i5-10600k that runs 4.1 GHz base clock out of the box for $260. And then the 8C/16T i7-10700k that runs 3.8 GHz out of the box for $375. Those are probably going to be pretty awesome gaming cpus for the money when they launch this week. Didn't realize until now that Intel had new to compete with AMD coming this week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJR210, so after joining back in the PCMR, is Divinity Sin Original 2 an absolute must play?
    The first one is way better.. The armor mechanic on II made things unnecessarily difficult.. The difficulty in OS was better because it was just based on being able to access higher difficulty areas after ranking up.. If you want a recommendation for a turn based game, stop what you're doing and pirate Shadow Tactics

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The first one is way better.. The armor mechanic on II made things unnecessarily difficult.. The difficulty in OS was better because it was just based on being able to access higher difficulty areas after ranking up.. If you want a recommendation for a turn based game, stop what you're doing and pirate Shadow Tactics
    Damn I saw all these reviews spraying their shorts over II and thought that was the one you were recommending a lot on here a couple of years back. So is 1 a must play?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bend over, I'll give you the best bang for your buck.
    A in' gigaflop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn I saw all these reviews spraying their shorts over II and thought that was the one you were recommending a lot on here a couple of years back. So is 1 a must play?
    Yeah, the first is better

Thread Information