Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend closer to $1200 when this is said and done tbh. I just realized this monitor is ~$250. At that price, and buying 2 of the video cards you recommended, I'm over $1200. I think I'm going to order all of this stuff in 2-3 weeks so I might run it all by you to make sure it will work well together if you don't mind.
    Yeah, you will build the , then add a few things like a good mouse and keyboard, a good mic or headset and you're looking closer to 1500.00.

Here's another build for the 12-13 range.. This one will get you a z87 motherboard, a Core i7 4770K which is probably the best non-enthusiast processor available, a new GTX 770 4GB model.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1P1yX

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if he isnt overclocking then theres no need for a K-cpu let alone a Z-series motherboard...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's what I've got for you.

This is the robust yeoman's do it all wonder:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1P6wo

And this is the "Gaming vs wife not kill me" build, which is actually going to be really damn close in performance for a lot less:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1P6I6

Pretty happy with the 2nd build, got you amazing performance for just over a grand. The first build's a bit more solid throughout, though. Better case and so forth.

If you REALLY want to save your money, you can wait another 6 weeks. Black Friday = prices bottom the out. I got 8 gigs of ram for $25 last year. I got a $120 PSU for $55, and a $265 video card for $150. Really, it's up to you.

If money is an issue, I think that second build will really impress you though. It's got great performance across the board, a solid (if unspectacular) case, and no really "cheap" components. Check to see if you can get windows through your work or university. Could save you $100 on the OS as well. Additionally, if you wanted to pair the 2nd system with another 7950, it would be an absolute badass machine for $1200:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1PbEA
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 10-15-2013 at 03:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's what I've got for you.

This is the robust yeoman's do it all wonder:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1P6wo
    That build looks pretty good but you selected an aftermarket cooler for overclocking, and chose the "non-k" version of that processor. 10 bucks more you get the unlocked multiplier and can have a use for that cooler.

If you REALLY want to save your money, you can wait another 6 weeks. Black Friday = prices bottom the out. I got 8 gigs of ram for $25 last year. I got a $120 PSU for $55, and a $265 video card for $150. Really, it's up to you.
    Might as well wait until Black Friday, it's right around the corner. You will be able to stretch that budget and end up with a better finished product.

if he isnt overclocking then theres no need for a K-cpu let alone a Z-series motherboard...
    You've gotta assume he will be overclocking eventually. The Z-series is a must for easy overclocking the Intel's.

Once the novelty of the new PC wears off and you want to see what your computer is capable of through benchmarking, you don't want to be stuck with no options. I get a considerable boost in benchmark scores with my GPU overclocked with my processor up from 3.8 to 4.5. Thinking of pushing mine up to 4.7 and seeing how the temps treat me while playing Arma 3.
    Last edited by DJR210; 10-15-2013 at 06:14 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That build looks pretty good but you selected an aftermarket cooler for overclocking, and chose the "non-k" version of that processor. 10 bucks more you get the unlocked multiplier and can have a use for that cooler.
    TBH, I put an aftermarket cooler on ANY processor, because stock coolers suck. They're horrible. But yeah, I'd go with a K here. Actually given that the AMD is so much cheaper I just like the second build a whole lot more.

Might as well wait until Black Friday, it's right around the corner. You will be able to stretch that budget and end up with a better finished product.
    Yep.

You've gotta assume he will be overclocking eventually. The Z-series is a must for easy overclocking the Intel's.

Once the novelty of the new PC wears off and you want to see what your computer is capable of through benchmarking, you don't want to be stuck with no options. I get a considerable boost in benchmark scores with my GPU overclocked with my processor up from 3.8 to 4.5. Thinking of pushing mine up to 4.7 and seeing how the temps treat me while playing Arma 3.
    Except that overclocking his processor isn't going to wield much in the way of increased framerates in games. He might get 2-5 frames better, but that's about it. Games are still massively GPU reliant. The time and effort to OC a processor for gaming benefits is a serious case of diminishing returns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The time and effort to OC a processor for gaming benefits is a serious case of diminishing returns.
    Not much effort required. Change the multiplier in the BIOS to whatever overclock you want. Done.

With consoles hitting soon, the standard for gaming is gonna get more resource demanding. Good to have the ability to get more performance when you may need it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not much effort required. Change the multiplier in the BIOS to whatever overclock you want. Done.

With consoles hitting soon, the standard for gaming is gonna get more resource demanding. Good to have the ability to get more performance when you may need it.
    Except you need to research how high to clock it, how high to clock the BIOS, and what to do if you start getting errors/artifacts. If you aren't tech savvy, it can be an issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not tech savy and have never built a computer, but damn I want to try it

Maybe I'll learn a few things along the way, then I will start developing .... dammit hopefully I will build an Iron Man suit running on Jarvis 2.0
    If you can put together a Lego set, you're tech savy enough to build a computer. Heck, most computer parts are designed to be idiot proof and can only be put together the right way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never overclocked anything but I might at some point. I am in no real rush, probably will just wait until November. GTA doesn't come out until next year neither does the division. BF4 is the only thing I would miss out on launch but only by a month.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never overclocked anything but I might at some point. I am in no real rush, probably will just wait until November. GTA doesn't come out until next year neither does the division. BF4 is the only thing I would miss out on launch but only by a month.
    You may even be able to find a vid card bundled with BF4 on newegg FYI, they do that a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You may even be able to find a vid card bundled with BF4 on newegg FYI, they do that a lot.
    That soon after a release? That would be nice.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    If you can put together a Lego set, you're tech savy enough to build a computer. Heck, most computer parts are designed to be idiot proof and can only be put together the right way.
    Except for static zapping them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, go with a monitor like this or better. Unless new prices are similar today, I would ask what's wrong with that one... for only $407 US dollars. That probably is a proper price as I haven't shopped for a high end monitor in a couple years.

That is a QHD monotor (2560 x 1440.) HD is your 1280 x 720, this is the same resolution as a HD TV double the pixels horizontal and vertical. This is probably the least expensive format to attach to a good gaming system. I have a 24" WUXGA which is 1920 x 1200. I plan to buy a WQXGA, which is 2560 x 1600, but these traditional 16:10 monitors are generally about twice as expensive as their television counterpart formats that are 16:9. As you see, the WUXGA has the same pixel width as the QHD, and is 160 pixels taller.

Physical size.

If you go with a 27", 16:9 (wide TV format) vs. 19:10 (wide computer format) will have a different screen size. The QHD screen will be 21.6 x 15.9 inches. The WUXGA will be 21.1 x 16.7. Not a bug difference, but keep in mind, not all monitor sizes are equal. it changes with their aspect ratio. Go to the 30", and and of your wide TV formats will be 24" x 17.7" and the wide TV formats 23.5" x 18.6". We lose an inch of width, but gain almost an inch of height at this point.

A gaming system is only as good as it's weakest link. This is usually the human controlling the game. The monitor must be fast and have detailed resolution for advanced game players, else we are operating at a disadvantage. The last time I looked into a WQXGA monitor, they were about $1,400. That was when I paid $380 and $360 for the two WUXGA monitors I have. I need to look again. They are a few years old now. Maybe the prices have come to a point where I will buy one.
    If you're looking to be a seriously compe ive gamer, 120/144hz is much more important than having an extremely accurate monitor from a color gamut perspective. And if you aren't, neither are necessary.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    If you're looking to be a seriously compe ive gamer, 120/144hz is much more important than having an extremely accurate monitor from a color gamut perspective. And if you aren't, neither are necessary.
    Yes, but what's the point of a fast system if the monitor gives you twice the lag in milliseconds?

I did notice several errors in my quoted text. The 16:9 is wide TV formato and I incorrectly typed 19:10... should be 16:10 for wide computer format. Then I said wide TV twice on the 30" size comparisons when the second should have read "wide computer."

Wow...

Just how tired was I when I typed that? More errors yet, as I look at it.

Yikes...

I'm not looking any more...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but what's the point of a fast system if the monitor gives you twice the lag in milliseconds?
    120/144hz monitors are probably going to be for gaming and thus will have no more than 2-3ms. I think mine is 2, the one I linked is 1ms, I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't confuse pixel response time with input lag. Also refresh rate is not an indicator of either. The right thing to do is simply do your homework and see what you're getting.

Input lag is probably the most real-life important factor for gaming, and anything around or under 1 frame (16ms) is pretty much excellent.

Here's a online list of different display input lag:
    http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's easy and as long as you monitor your temps there is really no reason not to test the performance of your PC. Also, if you like BF you need to try Arma 3. I built my PC for that game.

The GPU brands always give out awesome games with cards, AMD more so than Nvidia IMO. I expect BF4 to be packaged in w/ AMD cards as EA and DICE are using that new Mantle technology from AMD.

Except for static zapping them.
    Considering discharging static is as easy as touching the case, you'd have to be a stupid mother er to fry your PC like that.

anything around or under 1 frame (16ms) is pretty much excellent.
    I was hesitant about getting a 7ms IPS but I can't notice any ghosting tbh. Nice color w/ the IPS as well.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Don't confuse pixel response time with input lag. Also refresh rate is not an indicator of either. The right thing to do is simply do your homework and see what you're getting.

Input lag is probably the most real-life important factor for gaming, and anything around or under 1 frame (16ms) is pretty much excellent.

Here's a online list of different display input lag:
    http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/
    Agree, but such systems generally are faster all the way thru.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without going into too much detail, this is basically what each amounts to:

- Refresh rate: frequency at which all pixels of a display are told to display a specific color. In other words, how long it takes for a full frame to draw. Usual rates include 60Hz, 120Hz, 240Hz, etc.

- Pixel response time: How long it takes a single pixel to change from the current color to another color then back to the original color. Poor response times produce a visible smearing. Response times over 5ms are noticeable by the human eye. Usual values range from 8ms to 2ms.

- Input/Display lag: How long it takes from a signal (or frame data in digital) that just arrived to the device to appear on the screen. This varies greatly depending on the kind of post-processing a monitor/set does to a signal (hdcp, scaling, up-framerate conversion, ghosting reduction). Some sets include a 'game mode' setting that disables most post-processing to reduce lag for gaming. Usual values range from 5ms to 80ms (yeah, that's a full 5 frames delay).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what's the verdict? Waiting until BF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what's the verdict? Waiting until BF?
    I will wait until the end of November (cyber Monday?). I have no real reason to be in a rush. The games I want to play aren't out yet and I will only be late to the BF4 party by a month. If I get better prices from waiting that would be nice, but I wouldn't have missed out from anything if I spend the same as ordering now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will wait until the end of November (cyber Monday?). I have no real reason to be in a rush. The games I want to play aren't out yet and I will only be late to the BF4 party by a month. If I get better prices from waiting that would be nice, but I wouldn't have missed out from anything if I spend the same as ordering now.
    Just anecdotally, last year I found much better sales on Black Friday than on Cyber Monday. I'd jump on the best deals on BF and then pick up anything else that didn't go on a crazy discount on CM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best deals on video cards with BF?

I might end up posting here to confirm before I buy everything if you don't mind. Last thing I want to do is buy something that isn't compatible and have to return something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best deals on video cards with BF?

I might end up posting here to confirm before I buy everything if you don't mind. Last thing I want to do is buy something that isn't compatible and have to return something.
    You can create the build at pcpartpicker.com and it will tell you if there are any parts that are not compatible. It also tells you where to find the particular item at the cheapest price.

As for your question about the best card to include BF4, I don't think you are gonna get one. The current promotion for AMD cards is the "Never Settle" promotion that allows you to select 3 games from the list they have pre-selected. The Never Settle deal runs from 8/15/13-12/31/13, and depending on the cost of the GPU you pick will determine which tier you qualify for. A 7970 for example would allow you to select 3 games from the following: Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution, DMC, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Deus Ex, Dirt 3, Saints Row IV, Dirt: Showdown or Sniper Elite. I would assume a BF4 promotion for AMD wouldn't be available until this one is finished.

For Nvidia on the other hand (which is the better GPU brand IMO) they are offering the Batman Arkham Origins promotion currently. This promotion started August 30th, but they have not determined the cutoff date according to their site.

XFX and other brands like HIS, PowerColor, etc have more negative feedback than a brand like MSI, or EVGA, or even ASUS. Yes, the cost today is less, but what about potential issues down the road? Stick to a more reputable GPU brand IMO. This card is part of the Never Settle promotion and does not include BF4 which was his request.

Thread Information