Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like it's a good time to buy video cards if you're in need. The crypto crash apparently has made them readily available for cheap.
    Meh I wouldn't touch a gpu with a ten foot pole right now. They still have a long ways to fall. They're just now dropping to MSRP, but that was a wildly inflated MSRP from when ether was shooting up in value and everyone was flush in stimulus money to spend. Now ether is crashing, people are getting their teeth kicked in by inflation, no more stimulus money and instead governments are going into austerity mode, so that MSRP is way higher than what it's going to level off at. Not to mention just how many gpus ether miners bought and how many will keep showing up on the used market causing further downward pressure on the new market too. Inflated MSRP at the end of a gpu gen is a complete no go for me. I don't expect anything to hit fire sale mode like we saw in November 2014 when AMD overproduced the R9 290/290x right as LiteCoin became unprofitable, but there is still plenty of room for current gen cards to fall in price. Of course next gen will all be scalped to for the first couple of months when those cards launch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh I wouldn't touch a gpu with a ten foot pole right now. They still have a long ways to fall. They're just now dropping to MSRP, but that was a wildly inflated MSRP from when ether was shooting up in value and everyone was flush in stimulus money to spend. Now ether is crashing, people are getting their teeth kicked in by inflation, no more stimulus money and instead governments are going into austerity mode, so that MSRP is way higher than what it's going to level off at. Not to mention just how many gpus ether miners bought and how many will keep showing up on the used market causing further downward pressure on the new market too. Inflated MSRP at the end of a gpu gen is a complete no go for me. I don't expect anything to hit fire sale mode like we saw in November 2014 when AMD overproduced the R9 290/290x right as LiteCoin became unprofitable, but there is still plenty of room for current gen cards to fall in price. Of course next gen will all be scalped to for the first couple of months when those cards launch.
    The other thing I'm wary about is buying something that's been used as a crypto mining board non-stop for a year or so, those units have the equivalent of 5 years worth of use.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other thing I'm wary about is buying something that's been used as a crypto mining board non-stop for a year or so, those units have the equivalent of 5 years worth of use.
    Agreed, wouldn't even buy a gpu used if I knew 100% it had never been mined on because the 3 year warranties are a big plus for me. Console I have less of a problem buying used since the warranties suck anyways and you often get much bigger discounts. But for gpus never understood buying used to save $40 or $50, and especially not now. But new gpus prices still don't really reflect the economy we're living under now and are going to have to come down. Especially with ethereum going proof of stake sometime this year, miner bags are going to have to start selling their gpus off.

Ugh wish it would get like November 2014 though. R9 290 was like the RTX 3080 equivalent of the day and AMD had to sell them brand new with 4-5 games included for $200 to $230 that month. Even dragged Nvidia's prices down and forced them to sell the GTX 970 for $330 to match the R9 290x's street price when they had been getting away with selling the trash GTX 770 that was just a GTX 680 rebrand for $400 before.

Thread Information