Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at this

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-W...SIN=B00EON40CS

600 watt should be more than adequate right?
    EVGA B1's are kind of crappy. They're made by a company called HEC that isn't very good. I'd personally pay the $20 extra up front for that first Seasonic 550W model I suggested, especially since you won't pay sales tax on it in Texas and have a $15 mail in rebate with it so you'd be paying pretty much the same price for a much better PSU.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    EVGA B1's are kind of crappy. They're made by a company called HEC that isn't very good. I'd personally pay the $20 extra up front for that first Seasonic 550W model I suggested, especially since you won't pay sales tax on it in Texas and have a $15 mail in rebate with it so you'd be paying pretty much the same price for a much better PSU.
    Roger that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    get a quality psu branded man like corsair...whats important is the amps that feeds ur mobo and gpu...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GPU prices are still insane right? That's all I've heard the past months because of bitcoin and all that . I've been out of the loop for a while but my Steam library is already at 60 games and Amazon/Twitch Prime are giving out PC games monthly, I thought why not start building a PC. I also need it for programming since programming on a laptop ing sucks with long ass coding and having multiple panes opened to compare different versions of my code.

All I seriously want to do is 1080P gaming and keep my under $800-$1k (including a monitor). I don't get 4k boners so all of that doesn't apply to me.

Questions:

1) AMD is still right? I'm willing to wait until GPU prices come down and game with a ing onboard GPU at medium settings for a while if I have to. I'm in no hurry seriously. So are Ryzens good?
    2) Or is Intel still king? Should I go this route instead?

I just want info in the meantime because I'm going to buy my parts slowly, part by part, in no hurry waiting for GPU prices to come down in price. Like I said earlier, I've just been out of the loop for about a decade and want to wrap my head around this and what's changed.

I already bought my case because I saw it on Slickdeals and people were orgasming over it from the comments and the ratings, plus it was almost 50% off. Why not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GPU prices are still insane right? That's all I've heard the past months because of bitcoin and all that . I've been out of the loop for a while but my Steam library is already at 60 games and Amazon/Twitch Prime are giving out PC games monthly, I thought why not start building a PC. I also need it for programming since programming on a laptop ing sucks with long ass coding and having multiple panes opened to compare different versions of my code.

All I seriously want to do is 1080P gaming and keep my under $800-$1k (including a monitor). I don't get 4k boners so all of that doesn't apply to me.

Questions:

1) AMD is still right? I'm willing to wait until GPU prices come down and game with a ing onboard GPU at medium settings for a while if I have to. I'm in no hurry seriously. So are Ryzens good?
    2) Or is Intel still king? Should I go this route instead?

I just want info in the meantime because I'm going to buy my parts slowly, part by part, in no hurry waiting for GPU prices to come down in price. Like I said earlier, I've just been out of the loop for about a decade and want to wrap my head around this and what's changed.

I already bought my case because I saw it on Slickdeals and people were orgasming over it from the comments and the ratings, plus it was almost 50% off. Why not
    AMD's latest round of cpus (eg Ryzen) are actually pretty good now. Not as good as Intel, but still really solid. Not the crap FX line of cpus they were selling from 2011-2016. Their gpus are dog right now. Even worse than gpu pricing is RAM prices. You're looking at around $160 for a 16GB DDR4 kit now.

What case did you order and what will you be able to keep from your old system? Hard drive(s)? SSD?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AMD's latest round of cpus (eg Ryzen) are actually pretty good now. Not as good as Intel, but still really solid. Not the crap FX line of cpus they were selling from 2011-2016. Their gpus are dog right now. Even worse than gpu pricing is RAM prices. You're looking at around $160 for a 16GB DDR4 kit now.
    So what you're telling me, right now is a bad time to get into building PCs? It's fine though, I'll play the waiting game then. I'll be the guy with the chassis of his car in his garage who builds it part by part. It's cool , I'll do some waiting and look out for deals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What case did you order and what will you be able to keep from your old system? Hard drive(s)? SSD?
    I ordered this one bb:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811352055

I don't have an old system. Just laptops. I need to buy everything unfortunately. Last time I had a PC was a AMD XP 2600 I built like 15 years ago now.
    Last edited by NASpurs; 03-13-2018 at 11:53 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I ordered this one bb:

I don't have an old system. Just laptops. I need to buy everything unfortunately. Last time I had a PC was a AMD XP 2600 I built like 15 years ago now.
    Holy , the Define S for $50 is a steal. Yeah, that's hands down the best designed midtower case I have ever seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I ordered this one bb:

Also, I'd be weary of buying off newegg. They just sold out all their CT customers by sending the state the total dollar amount of individual citizens' purchases from 2014-2016 so that CT could collect back taxes with interest. No reason other states won't follow suit now seeing how quickly newegg crumbled to Connecticut. Newegg has gone to ever since they got bought out by some company. Their shipping sucks now and their packing is terrible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, I'd be weary of buying off newegg. They just sold out all their CT customers by sending the state the total dollar amount of individual citizens' purchases from 2014-2016 so that CT could collect back taxes with interest. No reason other states won't follow suit now seeing how quickly newegg crumbled to Connecticut. Newegg has gone to ever since they got bought out by some company. Their shipping sucks now and their packing is terrible.
    Damn that sucks. All I remember back in the day that newegg was the best when it came to pc building and all that. Some third-party were also selling that case on Amazon but they sold out quickly so I went to newegg thinking they were still good. Sucks to hear about them and all that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what you're telling me, right now is a bad time to get into building PCs? It's fine though, I'll play the waiting game then. I'll be the guy with the chassis of his car in his garage who builds it part by part. It's cool , I'll do some waiting and look out for deals.
    Buying piece by piece is a pretty bad strategy IMO since you can't test your out. A lot of these companies are really bad when it comes to RMAs so it's good to know whether your is working or not while you're in the return window from your retailer so you can get quick return or replacement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn that sucks. All I remember back in the day that newegg was the best when it came to pc building and all that. Some third-party were also selling that case on Amazon but they sold out quickly so I went to newegg thinking they were still good. Sucks to hear about them and all that.
    Yeah I bought two OEM Western Digital Black drives, I mean these are high end hard drives for high end prices, and they both came packed like crap and died within a year and a half. Meanwhile my crap Seagate drives I bought in retail packaging from Best Buy are still kicking years later. Last time I bought a cpu from them I paid for two day shipping and then ordered a stick of RAM for my HTPC in a separate order later in the day and chose free shipping since I didn't need it ASAP, and the ers put both of them together in a FedEx Smartpost package that took two weeks to get to me. I was mad as getting my cpu in two weeks when I paid for two days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buying piece by piece is a pretty bad strategy IMO since you can't test your out. A lot of these companies are really bad when it comes to RMAs so it's good to know whether your is working or not while you're in the return window from your retailer so you can get quick return or replacement.
    I hadn't thought about that. I never really had problems with components back in the day but yeah you're right, it's a bit of gamble to do it that way. Guess I'll keep my eyes on prices and then just buy all the parts when the time seems right. I guess I could buy the monitor, test it out by connecting my PS4 to it (they have HDMI inputs nowadays right?) and keep it and my case in the closet in the meantime until I buy the other parts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I bought two OEM Western Digital Black drives, I mean these are high end hard drives for high end prices, and they both came packed like crap and died within a year and a half. Meanwhile my crap Seagate drives I bought in retail packaging from Best Buy are still kicking years later. Last time I bought a cpu from them I paid for two day shipping and then ordered a stick of RAM for my HTPC in a separate order later in the day and chose free shipping since I didn't need it ASAP, and the ers put both of them together in a FedEx Smartpost package that took two weeks to get to me. I was mad as getting my cpu in two weeks when I paid for two days.
    Holy crap, I remember how much people used to love newegg and their customer service and just how good it was back in the then. that was my go-to place and I loved buying stuff from them, never really had any problems. Sucks to hear it's gone to from reading your personal experience.

Is there a go-to place for computer parts nowadays (let me guess, Amazon?).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hadn't thought about that. I never really had problems with components back in the day but yeah you're right, it's a bit of gamble to do it that way. Guess I'll keep my eyes on prices and then just buy all the parts when the time seems right. I guess I could buy the monitor, test it out by connecting my PS4 to it (they have HDMI inputs nowadays right?) and keep it and my case in the closet in the meantime until I buy the other parts.
    Monitor is also something I wouldn't buy right away since they're advancing quickly with technologies like GSync/FreeSync and HDR.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazon is where I go now since the no tax was literally the only advantage newegg offered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Monitor is also something I wouldn't buy right away since they're advancing quickly with technologies like GSync/FreeSync and HDR.
    ing man, this seems like the worst time for budget/money-conscious PC building.

I'm doing some research on Amazon and concluded that:

I want a NVidia GPU with a GSync monitor or an AMD GPU with a Freesync monitor? That's how it works right? Since AMD GPUs are then I should get a NVidia graphics card but holy at those monitor prices.

Too bad though, $150 for a Freesync monitor seems pretty cool. Is this one of those "you should wait for Black Friday to get a $200-250 GSync monitor?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy crap, I remember how much people used to love newegg and their customer service and just how good it was back in the then. that was my go-to place and I loved buying stuff from them, never really had any problems. Sucks to hear it's gone to from reading your personal experience.

SuperBiiz has been pretty good in the past, haven't ordered from them in a while though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I want a NVidia GPU with a GSync monitor or an AMD GPU with a Freesync monitor? That's how it works right? Since AMD GPUs are then I should get a NVidia graphics card but holy at those monitor prices.

Too bad though, $150 for a Freesync monitor seems pretty cool. Is this one of those "you should wait for Black Friday to get a $200-250 GSync monitor?"
    I don't mean it's a bad time to buy a monitor. More like it's a bad idea to buy a monitor and not use it for months because they're improving enough that you might get something better in 5 months for the same price. It's one thing if you could put that monitor to use right now but if you're not going to then what's the point of getting it now? Unless you just find some absolute killer deal right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I tried to put together a good 1080p gaming system minus monitor on pcpartpicker.com, and it came out to just under $1000 if you don't pay use tax and do mail in rebates.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.00 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($95.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($166.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB OCV1 Video Card ($364.98 @ Newegg Business)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.90 @ Newegg)
    Total: $971.75
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-14 08:24 EDT-0400

I figured a 500GB SSD makes sense in the days of 100GB games. We're probably past the point where you'd be fine with only 250GB in a gaming system if you want the benefits of the SSD. Thing is, $1000 for a system with a 60 series card in it is nuts. I spent about $750 for my cpu + board + 16GB ram + gpu + power supply when I built my gaming system in 2014, and that was with a 70 series card (GTX 970) that's about 10% weaker than the GTX 1060 today and an i7 class processor (Xeon E3-1231v3). I didn't buy an SSD until 2015 though, once you could get a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO for $150, which brings that total to roughly $900. But who knows how long the GTX 1060 will still be a strong 1080p gaming card. It's probably the best 60-series card Nvidia has put out since at least the GTX 660 back in 2012, but its generation (Pascal, eg the 1000 series) is creeping up on being two years old now.

One way to cut cost would be to get a cheaper motherboard. With a locked cpu you're probably fine with a $50 H310 board instead of a $100 Z370 one, though it might be a couple of months before we see the cheaper boards released. Right now you're stuck with $100+ Z370 boards if you want the newest gen of Intel processors (and you do want this newest gen, it's an enormous upgrade over the previous gen).

One plus now though is the current gen of i5 absolutely mop the floor with every previous gen of i5. AMD's Ryzen 5 1600 was such a huge threat to Intel's dominance in the desktop market that they had to immediately respond by slapping on two extra cores to all i5 and non-enthusiast i7 with their current gen of cpus (eg Coffee Lake). Don't sweat that 2.8 GHz base clock in the i5-8400. From reviews I have seen that thing runs at 3.6 GHz to 3.8 GHz on all cores in actual gaming loads if I remember right.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-14-2018 at 08:10 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nm
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-14-2018 at 08:07 AM.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A system bundle would be way cheaper ATM since they bought their RAM and GFX cards in bulk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NASpurs, I should clarify a bit on AMD gpus. The RX 480 and RX 580 are awesome 1080p gpus. But they're very poor engineering in relation to what Nvidia is doing, since they're on par with Nvidia's GTX 970 both in performance and in power consumption, which is awful since the GTX 970 was built on 28 nm lithography while the RX 480 / RX 580 are on 14 nm lithography. When Nvidia dropped to 16 nm at the same power consumption they came out with the GTX 1070, which is about 55% stronger than the GTX 970 but at slightly lower power consumption. When I saw that was all AMD could get out of 14 nm with Polaris (eg RX 470 / 480 / 570 / 580) I knew they were ed at the high end. Which is exactly what happened with their latest offering, Vega. Full Vega is somewhere in between as strong as the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 while using almost 50W more power than a GTX 1080 Ti. So AMD is dead in the water when it comes to high end gpus, but if you do like leemajors suggests you can find some deals on systems with RX 480 and RX 580 (and also deals on systems with GTX 1060, though I'd only get GTX 1060 6GB, as the 3GB version of the 1060 also has some cores disabled vs the 6GB version).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tried to put together a good 1080p gaming system minus monitor on pcpartpicker.com, and it came out to just under $1000 if you don't pay use tax and do mail in rebates.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.00 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($95.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($166.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB OCV1 Video Card ($364.98 @ Newegg Business)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.90 @ Newegg)
    Total: $971.75
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-14 08:24 EDT-0400

I figured a 500GB SSD makes sense in the days of 100GB games. We're probably past the point where you'd be fine with only 250GB in a gaming system if you want the benefits of the SSD. Thing is, $1000 for a system with a 60 series card in it is nuts. I spent about $750 for my cpu + board + 16GB ram + gpu + power supply when I built my gaming system in 2014, and that was with a 70 series card (GTX 970) that's about 10% weaker than the GTX 1060 today and an i7 class processor (Xeon E3-1231v3). I didn't buy an SSD until 2015 though, once you could get a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO for $150, which brings that total to roughly $900. But who knows how long the GTX 1060 will still be a strong 1080p gaming card. It's probably the best 60-series card Nvidia has put out since at least the GTX 660 back in 2012, but its generation (Pascal, eg the 1000 series) is creeping up on being two years old now.

One way to cut cost would be to get a cheaper motherboard. With a locked cpu you're probably fine with a $50 H310 board instead of a $100 Z370 one, though it might be a couple of months before we see the cheaper boards released. Right now you're stuck with $100+ Z370 boards if you want the newest gen of Intel processors (and you do want this newest gen, it's an enormous upgrade over the previous gen).

One plus now though is the current gen of i5 absolutely mop the floor with every previous gen of i5. AMD's Ryzen 5 1600 was such a huge threat to Intel's dominance in the desktop market that they had to immediately respond by slapping on two extra cores to all i5 and non-enthusiast i7 with their current gen of cpus (eg Coffee Lake). Don't sweat that 2.8 GHz base clock in the i5-8400. From reviews I have seen that thing runs at 3.6 GHz to 3.8 GHz on all cores in actual gaming loads if I remember right.
    That looks pretty good, gives me an idea what I should be getting plus the extra info you added educates me a bit. So basically if you want a quality system that's a combination of Intel + nvidia, you're looking to spend a minimum of $1300 including the monitor is what I'm getting from that parts list.

I tried to mess around pcpart ker and I kept getting a system build similar to yours with a similar price.

It doesn't help that that Intel i5 is right in that sweet price similar to the Ryzen line from what I noticed messing around with that website. And with Raedeons being , seems like I don't have much of a choice and my hands are tied.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That looks pretty good, gives me an idea what I should be getting plus the extra info you added educates me a bit. So basically if you want a quality system that's a combination of Intel + nvidia, you're looking to spend a minimum of $1300 including the monitor is what I'm getting from that parts list.

I tried to mess around pcpart ker and I kept getting a system build similar to yours with a similar price.

It doesn't help that that Intel i5 is right in that sweet price similar to the Ryzen line from what I noticed messing around with that website. And with Raedeons being , seems like I don't have much of a choice and my hands are tied.
    leemajors had a good post above recommending prebuilts. Duh I completely forgot that since for so long building your own system was a far better solution. But today it's not so bad. I saw a CyberpowerPC system on amazon for $800 that has a last gen i5, AMD RX 580, and 8GB DDR4 RAM with a 1TB HDD and a legit Windows license for $800. My build I posted above was assuming you'd pirate Windows.

I think RGB lighting is ugly as , but this ain't bad for $780.

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-.../dp/B0747W15QL

EDIT: Crap, I forgot you already bought a case

Thread Information