Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but if what I hear about having to buy a specific type of RAM is true that 50 just became much higher..
    They're both rated DDR4-2666... it's always better in pairs, but that applies to both. They also both have the same number of PCI lanes.

The 9700k has a slightly clock boost (and probably a bit better single core performance) but sacrifices hyperthreading.

Considering the most common config nowadays is 2-4 cores, 6 will probably do the job. Thing is, clocks aren't scaling anymore, it's all about MP, and hyperthreading helps on that.

Also to consider: this is probably the last build you're gonna be able to make with an LGA 1151. So it might not be worth to put the extra money into it now... the next time you're going to need new mobo and RAM too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You playing Battlefield V? I saw lots of people complain about cpu bottleneck with i5 in BF1.
    No, but I get like 90%+ usage with es that cause stuttering on Insurgency Sandstorm and that has less going on destruction wise than Battlefield V I assume..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're both rated DDR4-2666... it's always better in pairs, but that applies to both. They also both have the same number of PCI lanes.

The 9700k has a slightly clock boost (and probably a bit better single core performance) but sacrifices hyperthreading.

Considering the most common config nowadays is 2-4 cores, 6 will probably do the job. Thing is, clocks aren't scaling anymore, it's all about MP, and hyperthreading helps on that.

Also to consider: this is probably the last build you're gonna be able to make with an LGA 1151. So it might not be worth to put the extra money into it now... the next time you're going to need new mobo and RAM too.
    it will also be my first 1151.. I'm on like z77 chipset or some

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So do you think a 6c/12t cpu is a better fit for next gen gaming than is an 8c/8t cpu? The rumored PS5 specs I have heard are saying an 8c/16t Ryzen 2 cpu, but that sounds ridiculously expensive for a gaming console.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So do you think a 6c/12t cpu is a better fit for next gen gaming than is an 8c/8t cpu? The rumored PS5 specs I have heard are saying an 8c/16t Ryzen 2 cpu, but that sounds ridiculously expensive for a gaming console.
    I don't know about next gen specifically, but unless something drastic happens, you're just going to see more core/HT counts and CU counts on the GPU than faster clock speeds.

Software in general has been moving to async multi-threaded stuff for quite a while now, and new coprocessors like the new Tensor cores on NVidia that do Ray Tracing is more parallel number crunching.

As far as consoles (and this is a personal opinion, I have no idea what's in store) 8 real cores (with split caches) and the current Pro speeds is all you need CPU-wise, but definitely could use more compute units, more memory and faster memory bus.

The biggest issue with delivering steady 4k is GPU, bandwidth and framebuffer sizes, especially if you're doing multi-pass and don't want to use tiling tricks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing Nvidia. Releasing a GTX 1660 Ti 6GB at $279 on February 15th that's only 19% faster than the GTX 1060 6GB in the Ashes of the Singularity benchmark. So in a new generation with you only get a 19% performance bump at a 12% price bump? Nvidia and their monopoly pricing, I'm going to wait for Navi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing Nvidia. Releasing a GTX 1660 Ti 6GB at $279 on February 15th that's only 19% faster than the GTX 1060 6GB in the Ashes of the Singularity benchmark. So in a new generation with you only get a 19% performance bump at a 12% price bump? Nvidia and their monopoly pricing, I'm going to wait for Navi.
    That benchmark going around is apparently mobile.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That benchmark going around is apparently mobile.
    God I hope it's mobile 1660 and not mobile 1660 Ti. I miss the days when new generations meant more performance for less money. On the current Nvidia pricing model you'd expect gpu prices to grow exponentially.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isnt the Bitcoin mining affecting GPU prices?

Thats an external factor tbqh

I been wanting to upgrade my GTX 950 but if I wanna go 4k id have to get a new monitor

What would be good 1080p upgrade for my 950??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isnt the Bitcoin mining affecting GPU prices?

Thats an external factor tbqh

I been wanting to upgrade my GTX 950 but if I wanna go 4k id have to get a new monitor

What would be good 1080p upgrade for my 950??
    Gpu mining is dead right now. My brother said he doesn't even run his mining rig now with a 1080 Ti and two 1080s because it says he can't make enough to pay for the electricity usage. If you're looking for a cheap 1080p upgrade then the RX 580 8GB is solid for $200, especially with three free games (including Resident Evil 2 remake and Devil May Cry 5), though in ten days Nvidia is supposed to be releasing the GTX 1660 Ti with roughly +15% to +20% performance over the RX 580 for $280. If you want something pretty overkill that might last three years or so the RTX 2060 at $350 is the least ty option.

Even with the death of gpu mining it feels like a pretty ty time to buy a gpu since AMD hasn't made a good gpu since the RX 470/570/480/580 a couple of years ago, giving Nvidia complete market dominance. And with that monopoly pricing. Their very high end card went from $700 (GTX 1080 Ti) to $1200 (RTX 2080 Ti) this gen. Their high end went from $600 (GTX 1080) to $800 (RTX 2080). Their upper midrange went from $380 (GTX 1070) to $500 (RTX 2070). Their midrange went from $250 (GTX 1060) to $350 (RTX 2060). Unless AMD's Navi is awesome this fall expect the ridiculous gpu prices to stick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks man

I guess nvidia taking advantage. I agree them are being bas s. Hope another company can overtake them.

Yes I was looking into 2060 it looks pretty decent and at 350 not that bad as I spent around 300 on my 950 4 years ago

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks man

I guess nvidia taking advantage. I agree them are being bas s. Hope another company can overtake them.

Yes I was looking into 2060 it looks pretty decent and at 350 not that bad as I spent around 300 on my 950 4 years ago
    If you spent $300 on a 950 you got ing hosed. 970 sold for $330 four years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mmm may e I have a 970? No I thinks its a 50. Anyway I bought it at microcenter I thought around 300.

Maybe Im way off blame it on d ganja

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my bad its a 970

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my bad its a 970
    I was going to say. GTX 950 is a piece of , whereas ing everyone bought GTX 970 in 2014 and 2015 and that was a really solid card with some staying power. RTX 2060 is about a 90% gain in performance over a stock GTX 970 four and a half years later for $20 more. Though to give you an idea how ty that gain is, the $330 GTX 970 was about 130% faster than the GTX 570 that launched at $330 four years before the GTX 970.

It also sucks Nvidia cheaped out on the vram though by only putting in 6GB when the card going for $350 a couple of months ago had 8GB and almost identical performance (GTX 1070 Ti).
    Last edited by baseline bum; 02-05-2019 at 03:37 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It also sucks Nvidia cheaped out on the vram though by only putting in 6GB when the card going for $350 a couple of months ago had 8GB and almost identical performance (GTX 1070 Ti).
    ddr/hmb2 memory is the biggest costs factor, hence ddr memory is pricey due to demand from the smartphone market

dunno why amd went with hbm2, maybe they wannabe a trend setter, but seriously if they just go to ddr6 and lower the price, while keeping the same performance the card is meant to be, maybe they can make another budget card

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was going to say. GTX 950 is a piece of , whereas ing everyone bought GTX 970 in 2014 and 2015 and that was a really solid card with some staying power. RTX 2060 is about a 90% gain in performance over a stock GTX 970 four and a half years later for $20 more. Though to give you an idea how ty that gain is, the $330 GTX 970 was about 130% faster than the GTX 570 that launched at $330 four years before the GTX 970.

Thanks

Yea 970 is pretty solid even now. Might just keep it. Im no big gamer

Btw the 970 is still selling for about $200 in craigslist. Peetty damn good that probably why nvidia upping their prices

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks

Yea 970 is pretty solid even now. Might just keep it. Im no big gamer

Btw the 970 is still selling for about $200 in craigslist. Peetty damn good that probably why nvidia upping their prices
    Anyone who pays $200 for a used 970 today is a moron considering you can get an RX 580 that's at least 15% faster and with double the vram for $200 brand new with free copies of Resident Evil 2 and Devil May Cry 5 (or The Division 2 if you have no taste ).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814125962

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there was some leak about AMD's next gen specs/prices a while back right? has that been debunked? or is AMD still supposed to destroy Intel/Nvidia this year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there was some leak about AMD's next gen specs/prices a while back right? has that been debunked? or is AMD still supposed to destroy Intel/Nvidia this year?
    I remember AMD making big claims about their Zen2 cpus, but this is the same company that called the R9 Fury X an overclocker's dream at its reveal. I wouldn't expect big things out of Navi for flagship level performance since it's supposed to be a Polaris replacement, not a Vega replacement. But since I game on a 1080p monitor and a 1080p TV a Polaris replacement is what I'll be looking for. I'm hoping for RTX 2060 level rasterized performance at RX 480 level prices. I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation if Navi is manufactured on a 7nm node, which seems likely since Navi is supposed to be the gpu core in the new XBox and PS5 and no way they could be made at a typical console price point without being 7nm.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 02-05-2019 at 10:00 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baseline is 4k gaming worth it? I do have a 4k tv

What 4k gpu would you recommend without breaking d bank??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baseline is 4k gaming worth it? I do have a 4k tv

What 4k gpu would you recommend without breaking d bank??
    For 4k gaming your only options are GTX 1080 Ti ($600 used), RTX 2080 ($800), and RTX 2080 Ti ($1200). And GTX 1080 Ti and RTX 2080 are just barely there today, so you'll need to upgrade in a couple of years most likely with either of those. So there is no such thing as 4k gaming today without breaking the bank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool tnx

Might as well buy an X box S right?

Its bull that they sont support pc games on xbox

Also another option will be game streaming? Microsoft is about to launch that. Of course that will come with a subscription. But if its at nextflix pricing then not bad at all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool tnx

Might as well buy an X box S right?

Its bull that they sont support pc games on xbox

Also another option will be game streaming? Microsoft is about to launch that. Of course that will come with a subscription. But if its at nextflix pricing then not bad at all
    None of the consoles do 4k, and the XBox One S doesn't even do 1080p most of the time. The XBox One X will usually render at 1440p to 1800p and upscale to 4k, as does the PS4 Pro (though the XBox One X is virtually always at a higher internal resolution). There is nothing an XBox One S will run better than a PC with a GTX 970, and most of the time a decent PC with a GTX 970 will badly outperform the XBox One X. The only reason for someone with a PC with a GTX 970 in it to buy a console is for exclusives, so if you want to buy one you should go PS4 or Switch since anything on XBox is on PC. I personally ran a 25 foot HDMI cable to my TV so I could use my PC on both monitor and TV (TV is the secondary screen).

Also the new PS5 and XBox should be coming out in 2020.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol vega 7 benchmark reviews are out, what a fkn joke of a card rushed out by amd

Thread Information