Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Upgrading the solid state memory in my MacBook Pro. Think I'm gonna pass on the helpful kit.

I went all in on SDDs when they got reasonable, and haven't regretted it. My gaming rig (tower) uses SDDs for the games I play the most and are the heaviest on storage, and the rest go on the 1TB HDD I bought as an archive drive.

(edit)

Tons of good videos on all the different kinds and specs of drives as well as helpful stuff on how to actually physically mount them. FWIW. (I definitely needed the help)

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, I may "gift" myself a heavy duty RAM upgrade this year.
    Why the desire for a RAM upgrade? What do you have in your system now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol just manage to grab a cheap ryzen 3600x and msi b450 gaming atx mobo for 300aud = 206USD

now just need to buy the rest of the parts to make the system

im confused with the m2 variations, theres m2 and theres nvm2..whats the difference?.. the mobo only has 1 m2 slot which supports nvm2, which version ssd shoud i buy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nah.. too dated. My 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz was still pretty good for a lot of things, but it really started to show it's age in certain applications. I went 9600K and Z397 a while back and it was a massive increase
    my main rig is still using i5-3470 ...i think i shouldve just upgraded the gpu and ssd get a few more years out of it at 1080p gaming..

but just manage to grab a bargain for 3600 and mobo...so going all in with upgrade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my main rig is still using i5-3470 ...i think i shouldve just upgraded the gpu and ssd get a few more years out of it at 1080p gaming..

but just manage to grab a bargain for 3600 and mobo...so going all in with upgrade
    Meh a 4c/4t i5-3470 is a trash gaming cpu in 2020, even the 4c/8t i7 are barely hanging on now. The 3600x is a pretty ing badass chip though, AMD is absolutely killing it in the cpu market to the point the only Intel chip that's really worth buying for gamers anymore is the i9-9900k if they're willing to spend $500.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    need help real quick

didnt know the amd cpu doesnt have a plate on top like previous cpus, so it was glued with the hsf, i tried removing it both..so unscrew the hsf and yanked it out, it pulled the cpu out of the socket also, now it has a few bent pins... that i think i can fix DIY razorblade bending it back

currently i dont have a hdd, but can i power it on and get into bios to setup the settings without the need of any hdd atm?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    need help real quick

didnt know the amd cpu doesnt have a plate on top like previous cpus, so it was glued with the hsf, i tried removing it both..so unscrew the hsf and yanked it out, it pulled the cpu out of the socket also, now it has a few bent pins... that i think i can fix DIY razorblade bending it back

currently i dont have a hdd, but can i power it on and get into bios to setup the settings without the need of any hdd atm?
    you stupid kent... yes, you can boot the machine without an hdd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you stupid kent... yes, you can boot the machine without an hdd
    Not if he bent the pins though, he ed that up good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the desire for a RAM upgrade? What do you have in your system now?
    16GB. Dunno seems about time.

Put in money every once in a while to beef up the machine. Those empty RAM slots are crying out for something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    16GB. Dunno seems about time.

Put in money every once in a while to beef up the machine. Those empty RAM slots are crying out for something.
    Well, RAM is half the price that it was last year so it's a good time to buy. But are you ever close to running out of RAM on 16GB? I run 16GB myself and only ever get near 16GB usage if I have like 50 tabs of Chrome open with maybe fifteen of them youtube videos and then another say watching the Spurs game streaming form Spectrum.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    55K FOR MACPRO, YET NO FKN MONITOR? gtfo apple

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apple gotta be trolling at this point. Is it because they build those in the US?

10k alone will buy you the best PC money can buy these days

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow AMD built their POS Radeon 5500 / 5500 XT cards to only use 8 PCIE lanes, which seems to handicap the 8GB Radeon 5500 XT when used on a PCIE-3.0 board (which the vast majority of gamers have) vs new PCIE-4.0 boards.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man, AMD drivers really do suck. I thought since the 5700xt has been out for almost half a year they'd have it figured out by now
    but no, I'm still getting the ol' black screen issue, and games crashing at launch, also had a few times where it just had a seizure in game but eventually recovered...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man, AMD drivers really do suck. I thought since the 5700xt has been out for almost half a year they'd have it figured out by now
    but no, I'm still getting the ol' black screen issue, and games crashing at launch, also had a few times where it just had a seizure in game but eventually recovered...
    . Which 5700 XT do you have?

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . Which 5700 XT do you have?
    Sapphire pulse, supposed to be one of the better ones

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sapphire pulse, supposed to be one of the better ones
    That sucks, none of the reviews I saw mentioned that . Damn I'd return it then and get a 2060 Super or 2070 Super, assuming stability for those two I guess too though.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sucks, none of the reviews I saw mentioned that . Damn I'd return it then and get a 2060 Super or 2070 Super, assuming stability for those two I guess too though.
    nah, I'm all about supporting AMD with this PC. The Intel/Nvidia monopolies were not good for the consumer.
    and there are plenty of complaints about the blank screen on the AMD support threads on reddit, AMD definitely knows about it, I'm sure they'll get it figured out soon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nah, I'm all about supporting AMD with this PC. The Intel/Nvidia monopolies were not good for the consumer.
    and there are plenty of complaints about the blank screen on the AMD support threads on reddit, AMD definitely knows about it, I'm sure they'll get it figured out soon
    I'm loving seeing AMD back on top on cpus after how long Intel kept the desktop consumer market stuck on quadcores from Nehalem to Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge to Haswell to Haswell Refresh to Broadwell to Skylake to Kaby Lake. God, eight generations of cpus with just minimal advancements, all for the same price. Gotta give Lisa Su so much credit for cleaning up the mess Rory left behind. Before Ryzen AMD looked like they were going to be really likely to go bankrupt in 2019 when they had some huge interest payments due, but now I think they're inching back up to 20% of the cpu market like in their prime in the Athlon XP days. And that was when Intel was putting out complete dog (Pentium 4 and RDRAM were ing garbage), while Intel still has a passable product today. So really tells you how good Ryzen is to get that marketshare with a credible compe or and not just a brand name they're going against like in the early 2000s.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 12-29-2019 at 05:41 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Decided on making a new build after all. Already got the mobo, ssd and a cpu cooler. Waiting for a deal on the 3700x now and whenever that happens will get the rams along with it. Video card I'm thinking 1660 super but not sure yet (20XX/5700 are out of the question, way too expensive in poorland tbh)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I upgraded my gtx960 at home with a RTX2060 Super. Hate one of the fans make a bit of noise, but other than that, solid card.

EDIT: this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07V1Q4L2Z

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Decided on making a new build after all. Already got the mobo, ssd and a cpu cooler. Waiting for a deal on the 3700x now and whenever that happens will get the rams along with it. Video card I'm thinking 1660 super but not sure yet (20XX/5700 are out of the question, way too expensive in poorland tbh)
    Would you save much going Ryzen 5 3600 that could go to the gpu? It might be a little more balanced build then. I'm a little worried about its long term prognosis being 6C/12T while the consoles are 8C/16T, but you'd also probably be running it at about a 34% higher clock than the PS5 is rumored to run. Eg R5 3600 are supposed to be able to run 4.3 GHz while PS5 is rumored to be a 3.2 GHz Ryzen 2 cpu. I'd probably still spend the extra for the 8 core chip, especially because gpus still seem so overpriced right now.

What gpu are you running right now? Another thing you might consider is there are a lot of rumors of AMD announcing and releasing a 5600 XT this month to fill the gaping hole in their $200 to $300 US segment that is currently dominated by the GTX 1660 Super. On paper it's suspected it'll be faster than the GTX 1660 Ti from specs leaked from Asrock. Even if you don't want to buy AMD, Nvidia has been creating tons of cards at different segments so it wouldn't surprise me to see them launch a GTX 1660 Ti Super that's just a GTX 1660 Ti with an upgrade to 14Gbps GDDR6, or maybe a $50 price cut to the original RTX 2060 (non-Super) to get it to $300 US. Nvidia legitimately has 13 cards this gen. From top to bottom: an, 2080 Ti, 2080 Super, 2080, 2070 Super, 2070, 2060 Super, 2060, 1660 Ti, 1660 Super, 1660, 1650 Super, 1650.

Also there are rumors of Ampere cards launching around summer. I forgot the name of the show in June, but they have done launches there before. Though they also usually launch 70 and 80 series cards first, and you can bet those will be expensive because AMD doesn't have in the high end on gpus. Kind of looks like they're holding big Navi back for the second gen 7nm process. AMD's best card right now is actually pretty small die: eg 5700 XT at 251mm^2. Which is perverse seeing a die that small selling for $400, but it's compe ive with the $500 RTX 2070 Super and that's the overpriced gpu market right now.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 12-31-2019 at 10:30 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Would you save much going Ryzen 5 3600 that could go to the gpu? It might be a little more balanced build then. I'm a little worried about its long term prognosis being 6C/12T while the consoles are 8C/16T, but you'd also probably be running it at about a 34% higher clock than the PS5 is rumored to run. Eg R5 3600 are supposed to be able to run 4.3 GHz while PS5 is rumored to be a 3.2 GHz Ryzen 2 cpu. I'd probably still spend the extra for the 8 core chip, especially because gpus still seem so overpriced right now.
    Yeah I could do that but as you said I do get worried about it long term. But maybe between having to replace in the future a cpu or a gpu I guess a cpu will be more affordable so it's something to consider

What gpu are you running right now? Another thing you might consider is there are a lot of rumors of AMD announcing and releasing a 5600 XT this month to fill the gaping hole in their $200 to $300 US segment that is currently dominated by the GTX 1660 Super. On paper it's suspected it'll be faster than the GTX 1660 Ti from specs leaked from Asrock. Even if you don't want to buy AMD, Nvidia has been creating tons of cards at different segments so it wouldn't surprise me to see them launch a GTX 1660 Ti Super that's just a GTX 1660 Ti with an upgrade to 14Gbps GDDR6, or maybe a $50 price cut to the original RTX 2060 (non-Super) to get it to $300 US. Nvidia legitimately has 13 cards this gen. From top to bottom: an, 2080 Ti, 2080 Super, 2080, 2070 Super, 2070, 2060 Super, 2060, 1660 Ti, 1660 Super, 1660, 1650 Super, 1650.

Also there are rumors of Ampere cards launching around summer. I forgot the name of the show in June, but they have done launches there before. Though they also usually launch 70 and 80 series cards first, and you can bet those will be expensive because AMD doesn't have in the high end on gpus. Kind of looks like they're holding big Navi back for the second gen 7nm process. AMD's best card right now is actually pretty small die: eg 5700 XT at 251mm^2. Which is perverse seeing a die that small selling for $400, but it's compe ive with the $500 RTX 2070 Super and that's the overpriced gpu market right now.
    A R9 280x

Didn't know about the 5600 XT, that's good news tbh I do worry that it might have the same pci issue as the 5500 though, hopefully not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I could do that but as you said I do get worried about it long term. But maybe between having to replace in the future a cpu or a gpu I guess a cpu will be more affordable so it's something to consider

A R9 280x

Didn't know about the 5600 XT, that's good news tbh I do worry that it might have the same pci issue as the 5500 though, hopefully not
    R9 280x is definitely pretty dated by today's standards, a little better than 1050 Ti today I think. I really hate this gpu market this year and you'd be buying near the end of the Turing generation, which is a terrible time to buy IMO. But running a 280x is going to make your new PC feel like in gaming so I can understand wanting to go with something like 1660 Super that would be a little more than a 2x upgrade in performance. I do think anything less than RX 5700 8GB is going to age pretty badly in the next few years with decently sourced rumors that PS5 will be using an RX 5700 XT equivalent gpu. When I buy a gpu I like to get something I think I won't want to replace for 3-4 years, and honestly there is nothing on the market lower than the $500 RTX 2070 Super that I would be confident in still being reasonably high quality by 2023-24. RX 5700 and RX 5700 XT would be ideal if they had hardware RT support that Sony claims will be in PS5. No way it'll be anywhere near as good as Nvidia's RT though since Nvidia has huge parts of the chip dedicated to RT. Though I honestly hope RT doesn't catch on this console gen because it would certainly mean 30 fps games instead of 60 fps on the consoles.

Just a ing weird time to buy a gpu and know how much life you'll get out of it. If the 9.2 TFLOPS gpu in PS5 turns out to be bull then GTX 1660 Super all of a sudden looks like a much better buy. But we might not find official info on the console gpus until February at the earliest, or maybe even as late as E3. Buying a gpu right before a new console gen has historically been a great way to overspend, and with gpu prices what they are right now it doesn't look like this time is any different honestly. Though another wrench to throw in is that GDDR6 prices are forecast to jump another 5% this year due to demand from the PS5 and next XBox, so if AMD's RDNA2 doesn't bring some huge price to performance gains this year we could see Ampere creep the price up even more from Turing.

Also I doubt 5600 XT will be an 8PCIE lane gpu like 5500 XT. If it is no one is going to buy 5600 XT. It would be completely unacceptable in the performance tier 5600 XT appears to be targeting, which is between Vega 56 and GTX 1070 Ti.

Thread Information