Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah saw this, wasn't expecting the performance to be this good tbh, if it ends up being priced similar to a 1660ti here it might be a good deal actually. Other parts came in yesterday, aleady got everything running smoothly just need the gpu now
    , I just noticed from Gamers Nexus' review of the 5600 XT that not all 5600 XT will be getting this updated BIOS. ing shady bull from AMD pushing this new BIOS for 5600 XT to the higher end cards they had reviewed but not to all 5600 XT. So if you buy 5600 XT make sure it's a model that can run the new BIOS, because it ups performance more than 10% to compete with the RTX 2060. Speaking of Gamers Nexus, they're probably the most in depth channel on youtube for PC hardware reviews. Only channel that comes close is Digital Foundry, though Digital Foundry does a lot with consoles too, while GamersNexus is almost strictly PC.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    , I just noticed from Gamers Nexus' review of the 5600 XT that not all 5600 XT will be getting this updated BIOS. ing shady bull from AMD pushing this new BIOS for 5600 XT to the higher end cards they had reviewed but not to all 5600 XT. So if you buy 5600 XT make sure it's a model that can run the new BIOS, because it ups performance more than 10% to compete with the RTX 2060. Speaking of Gamers Nexus, they're probably the most in depth channel on youtube for PC hardware reviews. Only channel that comes close is Digital Foundry, though Digital Foundry does a lot with consoles too, while GamersNexus is almost strictly PC.
    That sucks, I thought only this first batch would come outdated and from now on all of them would get the new bios. Good to know tbh. And yeah GN is a good channel, I actually found out about the cpu I ended up getting from one of their videos. From what i've seen Hardware Unboxed seems like a good one as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sucks, I thought only this first batch would come outdated and from now on all of them would get the new bios. Good to know tbh. And yeah GN is a good channel, I actually found out about the cpu I ended up getting from one of their videos. From what i've seen Hardware Unboxed seems like a good one as well.
    Damn RX 5600 XT definitely seems like a loser when MSI says it comes down to silicon lottery as to whether the VRAM in your card will be able to support the BIOS update AMD pushed out to make their cards look good in reviews. MSI says those cards were built with 12Gbps GDDR6 and it's the luck of the draw whether they can clock to 14Gbps with the BIOS update.

https://www.techpowerup.com/263228/m...s-memory-speed

What a s bag launch. Get in here DJR210, you'll get a kick out of this I'm guessing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a ing sad state of the gpu market today.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I head the new driver is supposed to be better. Any improvement in stability?
    Nope, none of the driver updates have improved my situation except for the stuttering issue seems to be gone.

Still get blank screen at launch, and the card crashes (have to power off PC) if you spend too much time in inventory screens lol. Both issues are full-screen only, never happen in windowed mode...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn RX 5600 XT definitely seems like a loser when MSI says it comes down to silicon lottery as to whether the VRAM in your card will be able to support the BIOS update AMD pushed out to make their cards look good in reviews. MSI says those cards were built with 12Gbps GDDR6 and it's the luck of the draw whether they can clock to 14Gbps with the BIOS update.

What a s bag launch. Get in here DJR210, you'll get a kick out of this I'm guessing.
    Damn that's ing bull .. Not surprising considering it's AMD. Just when they seem to turn the corner, they continually find a way to defeat themselves. Yeah the GPU market is so bad and consoles have caught up so much I may skip an upgrade and just get a new console next round. As long as they can push all games at high settings/60 FPS I'd consider it

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

, better steer clear of that then

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , better steer clear of that then
    Well there are some higher end models guaranteed to have 14Gbps RAM. But they're going to be the expensive ones, at which point you might as well just buy the 5700 instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn that's ing bull .. Not surprising considering it's AMD. Just when they seem to turn the corner, they continually find a way to defeat themselves. Yeah the GPU market is so bad and consoles have caught up so much I may skip an upgrade and just get a new console next round. As long as they can push all games at high settings/60 FPS I'd consider it
    Yeah I'm really eager to see the PS5 reveal. If that 5700 XT level gpu leak is true then what the is the point in spending on a gaming PC in 2020? I was expecting maybe GTX 1660 performance just like how PoorStation 4 launched with low end HD 7850 level performance, but if I get a $400 5700 XT or better in a PS5 for $500 it's a no brainer. If this was a console like current gen was at launch I would have long since bought an RX 5700 or RTX 2060 Super despite the ty pricing. But once I saw Mark Cerny announce an 8C/16T Ryzen 2 cpu it started looking like PS5 will be a pretty serious gaming system.

Now I'll be waiting until February for the PS5 reveal, and at that point might as well wait for early June to see if Ampere has gaming cards and if they're any good for the money. Especially with Cyberpunk and Dying Light 2 not releasing this spring any more. So I'm expecting either to preorder PS5 if the reveal looks good or if not buy an RTX 3070 if it moves the needle and is $500 or less. Or if neither holds probably just buy a bridge gpu like a used RX 580 for playing late 2020 games like Cyberpunk, Dying Light 2, Elden Ring, etc. and hope for good gpus in 2021 or 2022.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 01-24-2020 at 01:32 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh man AMD just released the Ryzen 5 1600 AF at $85 MSRP, but it's really a Ryzen 5 2600 since it's on 12nm instead of 16nm and overclocks like a 2600 instead of a 1600. That's a pretty ing legit gaming cpu at the kind of pricing you'd expect for crap Pentium cpus.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Oh man AMD just released the Ryzen 5 1600 AF at $85 MSRP, but it's really a Ryzen 5 2600 since it's on 12nm instead of 16nm and overclocks like a 2600 instead of a 1600. That's a pretty ing legit gaming cpu at the kind of pricing you'd expect for crap Pentium cpus.
    Yeah it's the one I got, amazing bargain tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I was thinking WTF when you said you were getting a 1600 since those really can't get to even 4.0 GHz. Didn't know the new 1600AF was really a 2600 that they marketed as a 1600. Guess they didn't want to cannibalize sales of the 3600.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow AMD actually made some of the 1600 AF 8C/16T cpus.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co...es_16_threads/

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Wow AMD actually made some of the 1600 AF 8C/16T cpus.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co...es_16_threads/

sadly didn't get that lucky but thats amazing tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wow in this video Hardware Unboxed says retailers have been telling them the RX 5700 XT gets returned at 5x the rate of other competing gpus. What a cluster Navi has been. Same story as ever from AMD gpus, great hardware, dog drivers. , this goes back to even before AMD owned Radeon. Last time I bought a Radeon was an ATi Radeon 8500 in 2001 because it was a ing beast for its day on hardware but the drivers kept that card stuck behind the Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti500 even though it should have dominated it with proper drivers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I needed a card I could run DXR on, and the 960 didn’t cut it. I already have a RTX2080Ti at work, so I wanted to get something similar that would fit on my mini itx. Plus NVidia dev tools are starting to drop support for older cards.

I’ve been playing games on the PS4 Pro, tbh, haven’t really played a game on the PC in a long time. To answer your question, I don’t think it will, there’s extremely simple ways to bring down any card to it’s knees with ray tracing, even if you’re doing a hybrid approach and only using RT for shadows/reflections, which are probably the biggest visual improvements outside of global illumination, and I expect to be the new gfx standard.
    So what do you think: buy a 2070 Super now for $500. Play Control and Sekiro, then once corona has shut down trade from China put that up on ebay to price gouge some er? Put the profit towards buying a PS5 and an XBox Series X if I'm still alive after?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what do you think: buy a 2070 Super now for $500. Play Control and Sekiro, then once corona has shut down trade from China put that up on ebay to price gouge some er? Put the profit towards buying a PS5 and an XBox Series X if I'm still alive after?
    It's a big gamble. Nobody knows how this will play out with that stupid virus now, I suspect it'll affect everything. If you have a hard on for those games, go for it. Honestly, hard to tell what all of this is going to look like 6 months from now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a big gamble. Nobody knows how this will play out with that stupid virus now, I suspect it'll affect everything. If you have a hard on for those games, go for it. Honestly, hard to tell what all of this is going to look like 6 months from now.
    Maybe in 6 months we'll get that PS5 reveal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe in 6 months we'll get that PS5 reveal?
    or we're all dead, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or we're all dead, tbh
    Good point, I probably shouldn't preorder should I?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point, I probably shouldn't preorder should I?
    Damn I think corona killed CPY and CODEX and RLD has been gone for a long time, dark days for PC gaming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GN channel, hardwareunboxed, techcityyes and redgamingnews is teh channels i watch for pc hardware news

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    baseline

whats your recommended build for under $1k

trying to build one before we get quarantined. 4k btw

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    baseline

whats your recommended build for under $1k

trying to build one before we get quarantined. 4k btw
    4k is not happening under $1k. At least for games like RDR2. I'm assuming you still have your older system with the GTX 970 and the Corsair micro ATX case plus your PSU, drives, and SSD, right? In that case I'd go something like:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($503.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $933.95
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-12 01:43 EDT-0400

I usually hate recommending expensive boards but I would absolutely want something capable of running PCIE-4.0 SSD if I'm building today, so X570 is a must, and your X570 choices are super limited in the micro ATX form factor. But if you're not worried about that you could go with a cheaper B450 board and either upgrade the cpu to a Ryzen 7 3700X or the gpu to an RTX 2080 Super and still stay in budget. RTX 2070 Super will play a lot of current AAA games well at 4k (it's a little more powerful than the 1080 Ti), but it's a bit weaker than what has been revealed for the new XBox Series X.

Also AMD is the way to go on cpu right now. Intel ing sucks unless you're able to spend $550 on an i9-9900k. Otherwise AMD's cpus are hands down better. And they're cheaper too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4k is not happening under $1k. At least for games like RDR2. I'm assuming you still have your older system with the GTX 970 and the Corsair micro ATX case plus your PSU, drives, and SSD, right? In that case I'd go something like:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($503.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $933.95
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-12 01:43 EDT-0400

I usually hate recommending expensive boards but I would absolutely want something capable of running PCIE-4.0 SSD if I'm building today, so X570 is a must, and your X570 choices are super limited in the micro ATX form factor. But if you're not worried about that you could go with a cheaper B450 board and either upgrade the cpu to a Ryzen 7 3700X or the gpu to an RTX 2080 Super and still stay in budget. RTX 2070 Super will play a lot of current AAA games well at 4k (it's a little more powerful than the 1080 Ti), but it's a bit weaker than what has been revealed for the new XBox Series X.

Also AMD is the way to go on cpu right now. Intel ing sucks unless you're able to spend $550 on an i9-9900k. Otherwise AMD's cpus are hands down better. And they're cheaper too.
    yes I do!!!

thanks brotha! much love

Thread Information