Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking to upgrade my PC for the first time since I build it back in 2012 (except for the GPU that I had to replace a couple years later) but apparently none of the new processors are good for my mobo so I was wondering if you think it would be worth it to get a i7 3770K which is basically the best one I could get?
    nah.. too dated. My 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz was still pretty good for a lot of things, but it really started to show it's age in certain applications. I went 9600K and Z397 a while back and it was a massive increase

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking to upgrade my PC for the first time since I build it back in 2012 (except for the GPU that I had to replace a couple years later) but apparently none of the new processors are good for my mobo so I was wondering if you think it would be worth it to get a i7 3770K which is basically the best one I could get?
    No, 3770k isn't going to be a very good processor in 2020 and could likely end up a dog gaming cpu by 2021-22. Good cpus are cheap right now with AMD reasserting itself in the marketplace. The Ryzen R5 3600 / 3600x are seriously great 6C/12T cpus for around $200. Here is how it measures up in one of the most cpu heavy games of the generation, where the benchmark was done at 720p with an RTX 2080 Ti to force it to be a straight up cpu test:

Note this is only in one game, as games with less parallelization the i5-9600k and even i5-8400 can pull even and slightly beat the R5 3600. But with 8C/16T being the norm for the consoles next gen it's not a bad bet that we'll get more games coded like AC Odyssey.

The AMD chips are no ing joke this time around. Not like back in the FX days where they were crap. Also RAM is back to being decently priced, so this is actually a pretty good time to do a platform upgrade (eg board + cpu + RAM).

Though I'd probably go with the $310 Ryzen 7 3700X since it's an 8C/16T cpu that will probably last you the entire next console generation.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 12-02-2019 at 06:20 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, 3770k isn't going to be a very good processor in 2020 and could likely end up a dog gaming cpu by 2021-22. Good cpus are cheap right now with AMD reasserting itself in the marketplace. The Ryzen R5 3600 / 3600x are seriously great 6C/12T cpus for around $200. Here is how it measures up in one of the most cpu heavy games of the generation, where the benchmark was done at 720p with an RTX 2080 Ti to force it to be a straight up cpu test:

Note this is only in one game, as games with less parallelization the i5-9600k and even i5-8400 can pull even and slightly beat the R5 3600. But with 8C/16T being the norm for the consoles next gen it's not a bad bet that we'll get more games coded like AC Odyssey.

The AMD chips are no ing joke this time around. Not like back in the FX days where they were crap. Also RAM is back to being decently priced, so this is actually a pretty good time to do a platform upgrade (eg board + cpu + RAM).

Though I'd probably go with the $310 Ryzen 7 3700X since it's an 8C/16T cpu that will probably last you the entire next console generation.
    What board would you pair with the Ryzen 7? I already decided on the Ryzen for my next build.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    nah.. too dated. My 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz was still pretty good for a lot of things, but it really started to show it's age in certain applications. I went 9600K and Z397 a while back and it was a massive increase

, I really didn't want to get a new mobo right now tbh, more because of the hassle than anything else really It's good to know though, I will have to reconsider now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What board would you pair with the Ryzen 7? I already decided on the Ryzen for my next build.
    I don't know man. I'm not planning on a platform upgrade until 2021 or 2022 so haven't followed the boards closely. My Xeon E3-1231v3 is 4C/8T so should be able to hang by a thread the next couple of years (it's an i7-4770 without an igpu). But if I was buying today there is no doubt I'd buy a Ryzen 7 3700X, or a Ryzen 5 3600X if I couldn't spare the extra $100.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , I really didn't want to get a new mobo right now tbh, more because of the hassle than anything else really It's good to know though, I will have to reconsider now
    Meh, you always gotta consider how long lived a good cpu can be nowadays so by the time you want to replace it your board is ancient. Board + CPU + RAM isn't too much of a pain to replace anyways if you do good cable management in your case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    new ryzen cpus are released in 2020...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a simple install honestly, took me about 30 mins. I actually have since taken all my old parts and made my oldest a gaming PC.. I have a legit internet/gaming cafe in my man cave lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fastest CPU you can put in that thing is a Xeon E3-1270 V2, 4 cores, 8 threads, turbos at 3.9GHz, but you do need a GPU, and it's probably gonna cost you a bundle for a new one since they're old chips now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fastest CPU you can put in that thing is a Xeon E3-1270 V2, 4 cores, 8 threads, turbos at 3.9GHz, but you do need a GPU, and it's probably gonna cost you a bundle for a new one since they're old chips now.
    Nah i7-3770k would be faster since he'd probably be able to get it to 4.5 GHz (assuming he's got a P67, Z68, or Z77 board). Still not something I'd buy in 2020 though considering they seem to go for $130 or so used when you can get Ryzen 5 3600X new for $200 or less. Also since he has a newer gpu there is no way I'd upgrade gpu today with how overpriced is on that front. Can't believe Nvidia upped the price of their 60 series cards from $250 to $400 this gen when RT tanks framerates badly enough to be pretty useless on the 60-series cards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah i7-3770k would be faster since he'd probably be able to get it to 4.5 GHz (assuming he's got a P67, Z68, or Z77 board). Still not something I'd buy in 2020 though considering they seem to go for $130 or so used when you can get Ryzen 5 3600X new for $200 or less. Also since he has a newer gpu there is no way I'd upgrade gpu today with how overpriced is on that front. Can't believe Nvidia upped the price of their 60 series cards from $250 to $400 this gen when RT tanks framerates badly enough to be pretty useless on the 60-series cards.
    Oops, you're right. For some reason I thought the stock clocks on that were lower.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eh, ive only just begun to feel my i7 2600k is holding me back in the last year or so, a lot depends on what resolution you plan on using and what games you like.. in any case always go for the best cpu/mobo you can and ride that out! im definitely going to change for a ryzen sometime soon.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welp, I bought the AMD hype, ordered a 3700x,
    haven't pulled the trigger on a 5700xt yet though. Not sure if I want to wait for 5800xt or not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haven't pulled the trigger on a 5700xt yet though. Not sure if I want to wait for 5800xt or not
    nvidia has made some of their gsync model monitors support freesync/adaptic sync technology, whether those amd cards can fully utilized the gsync tech is another question...

but the gpu depending on your monitor support man..if its gsync buy nvidia, if its freesync, buy either

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nvidia has made some of their gsync model monitors support freesync/adaptic sync technology, whether those amd cards can fully utilized the gsync tech is another question...

but the gpu depending on your monitor support man..if its gsync buy nvidia, if its freesync, buy either
    Its a freesync monitor, definitely going all team red with this pc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its a freesync monitor, definitely going all team red with this pc
    its all about ipc now, unlike stupid intel still boasting about core clock speeds..amd has caught upto them and taking over...

anything 6+ cores will last you a good 5-10yrs, b4 the market starts pushing workstation cpus onto mainstream pc users in the future

im thinking of 3900 or the 3950x which would last me a good 10yrs+, invest in a good monitor also that can last same amount of years, the gpu u can always upgrade since every year a new model always comes out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With a cpu that strong the 5700 XT is a great match. AMD rumors are all over the place so hard to tell if they'll have something more powerful than 5700 XT on this current 7nm process. Or if you'd be waiting 8+ months for their next gen before they build something stronger. If you're holding out for say Cyberpunk then no harm waiting if you have a gpu that can get you to that point I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eh, ive only just begun to feel my i7 2600k is holding me back in the last year or so, a lot depends on what resolution you plan on using and what games you like.. in any case always go for the best cpu/mobo you can and ride that out! im definitely going to change for a ryzen sometime soon.
    You running it stock, or do you have a decent overclock? I know AC Origins and AC Odyssey hammer the out of quadcores even with HT. I don't expect my Xeon E3-1231v3 to hold up more than another year, maybe two, before I'll be really thirsting for a Ryzen platform upgrade. With the Intel has had trying to get to 10nm it's starting to look like they're going to have a really hard time catching up.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With a cpu that strong the 5700 XT is a great match. AMD rumors are all over the place so hard to tell if they'll have something more powerful than 5700 XT on this current 7nm process. Or if you'd be waiting 8+ months for their next gen before they build something stronger. If you're holding out for say Cyberpunk then no harm waiting if you have a gpu that can get you to that point I guess.
    yeah, as much as I want to max out Cyberpunk with ray tracing on, the 5800xt will probably be $500+ which is pretty hard to justify for just a video card, and I also want to play RDR2 and Control right now. 5700xt it is

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You running it stock, or do you have a decent overclock? I know AC Origins and AC Odyssey hammer the out of quadcores even with HT. I don't expect my Xeon E3-1231v3 to hold up more than another year, maybe two, before I'll be really thirsting for a Ryzen platform upgrade. With the Intel has had trying to get to 10nm it's starting to look like they're going to have a really hard time catching up.
    Its overclocked, though I did it like 7 years ago and haven't touched it since .. Its not a huge amount but I don't remember now, not home.. yeah the AC games give me some stutter but nothing unplayable, I'll post the benchmark if you want, I grew up playing with less than 15fps so im not obsessed with always being 60+

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its overclocked, though I did it like 7 years ago and haven't touched it since .. Its not a huge amount but I don't remember now, not home.. yeah the AC games give me some stutter but nothing unplayable, I'll post the benchmark if you want, I grew up playing with less than 15fps so im not obsessed with always being 60+
    True, I grew up playing at 20 fps. Though 20 fps can look decent on a CRT while looking like dog on a modern screen. I tried playing PS2 Vice City right after getting a PS2 last year and it felt like complete crap on my TV but was smooth when I dragged out an old 13" CRT that I kept in the garage. Thankfully most PS2 games are 60 fps and look great on my TV over component.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, as much as I want to max out Cyberpunk with ray tracing on, the 5800xt will probably be $500+ which is pretty hard to justify for just a video card, and I also want to play RDR2 and Control right now. 5700xt it is
    That's pretty much the build I'd go with if I was going from scratch today, eg 5700 XT + R7 3700X + fast RAM. 5700 XT can largely match 2070 Super for $100 less when paired with a strong cpu.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Upgrading the solid state memory in my MacBook Pro. Think I'm gonna pass on the helpful kit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Upgrading the solid state memory in my MacBook Pro. Think I'm gonna pass on the helpful kit.

God $250 for 1 TB SSD is a lot when you can buy PCIE NVME 1TB drives for ~$120 now. Looks like a really fast SSD, but ouch.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 12-05-2019 at 03:41 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

yeah, I may "gift" myself a heavy duty RAM upgrade this year.

SDD's got super cheap super fast too.

I was shocked at how much storage I could get for the same amount I spent on a 500GB solid state drive when I built my machine a couple of years ago.

Spent about 200 bucks and got TEN times the amount of space I had to start with.

Going to have to figure out what my next piecemeal upgrade is.

Thread Information