My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of this matters if they resign bonner in the summer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you Father!

Baynes needs 2nd big off the bench minutes.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Thank you Father!

Baynes needs 2nd big off the bench minutes.
    !
    If that's what it takes to give Ayres less minutes, then I'm down with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills/Cojo Manu Belli Diaw Baynes needs to be the second unit.

With Belli at the three and turd towers you just have a ty front court. Baynes delivers you from having an undersized 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes with another statement that he is at least the team's 4th best big.

His conditioning, which was his biggest issue last year, is resolved. He can play 20 mpg easily. He was running the floor well for all of his 21 minutes against the Rockets. He was still getting elevation to contest shots above the rim. I think it should be noted that he is the only Spur including the starters that does this. He can bang down low with ANYBODY in the NBA. He isn't going to overpower Howard but he more than holds his own. That is a high standard to meet. Howard physically looks 100% which he clearly was not last season fwiw.

His defense is still stout. He continues to cut off players thinking about cutting into the lane. 2 more blocks speak for themselves.

What has been most impressive to me though is his court awareness when he is dealing with pnr and plays run to the strongside. He is consistently able to zone up or switch which allows guys to recover and still recover himself. There were several times that he cut off Houston ball handlers and still denied the pass to Howard and Asik. This ability in particular is what makes Splitter such an excellent pnr defender. Baynes is beginning to show it as well.

He has the second best offensive post game on the team. He didn't get the turnaround jumper to go and he forced up a bad shot on good defense by Asik;however, his footwork is excellent his moves are done in control and with quickness and he has a very soft finish with either hand. His jumper is excellent and he has range to at least 15 feet. Again, it's a soft forgiving shot. 8-13 is a nice line.

It's important to keep in mind that Baynes has very limited NBA minutes. With more experience he will get better. I don't think that it is hyperbole to say that his ceiling is thereabouts of Marc Gasol. With the jumper, post moves and ability to deny shots at and above the rim he could be better. Note the word COULD. He has a long ways to go but getting him on the road should be sooner than later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amen

bench soft spliter and put Baynes to patrol the lanes next to TD!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overall probably one of our best this pre season, came on leaps and bounds

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes with another statement that he is at least the team's 4th best big.

His conditioning, which was his biggest issue last year, is resolved. He can play 20 mpg easily. He was running the floor well for all of his 21 minutes against the Rockets. He was still getting elevation to contest shots above the rim. I think it should be noted that he is the only Spur including the starters that does this. He can bang down low with ANYBODY in the NBA. He isn't going to overpower Howard but he more than holds his own. That is a high standard to meet. Howard physically looks 100% which he clearly was not last season fwiw.

His defense is still stout. He continues to cut off players thinking about cutting into the lane. 2 more blocks speak for themselves.

What has been most impressive to me though is his court awareness when he is dealing with pnr and plays run to the strongside. He is consistently able to zone up or switch which allows guys to recover and still recover himself. There were several times that he cut off Houston ball handlers and still denied the pass to Howard and Asik. This ability in particular is what makes Splitter such an excellent pnr defender. Baynes is beginning to show it as well.

He has the second best offensive post game on the team. He didn't get the turnaround jumper to go and he forced up a bad shot on good defense by Asik;however, his footwork is excellent his moves are done in control and with quickness and he has a very soft finish with either hand. His jumper is excellent and he has range to at least 15 feet. Again, it's a soft forgiving shot. 8-13 is a nice line.

It's important to keep in mind that Baynes has very limited NBA minutes. With more experience he will get better. I don't think that it is hyperbole to say that his ceiling is thereabouts of Marc Gasol. With the jumper, post moves and ability to deny shots at and above the rim he could be better. Note the word COULD. He has a long ways to go but getting him on the road should be sooner than later.
    You have provided an articulate, thorough, reasonable case for Baynes getting 20 minutes a game behind Splitter.

Too bad he'll be inactive.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think that it is hyperbole to say that his ceiling is thereabouts of Marc Gasol.
    Homie Baynes is who he is. The dude is 26 and in his prime. He won't get much better from here.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I went to the game tonight and Aron looked good. He went to the basket hard, was getting
    good position on rebounds. He had tons of energy and ran the court hard. I didn't have
    much confidence in him a few weeks back but seeing him now he looked good. I hope it
    works out for him because we need another big man who will bang.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm in.

From his first few games last year I thought we had a solid 4-5th big rotation guy on our hands. If he continues to improve he will end up a lot better than that.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Homie Baynes is who he is. The dude is 26 and in his prime. He won't get much better from here.
    He could be a late bloomer. But, I think it's a stretch to think he could be as good as Gasol.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure Baynes just wants to play and be part of the team. He is a bargain for what he is doing at 1/8th the cost of Splitter...he has every chance to become better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 things he has going for him:

- Good mobility for a big

- Reliable jump-shot with high release

- Good rebounder

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 things he has going for him:

- Good mobility for a big

- Reliable jump-shot with high release

- Good rebounder
    good points.

I was a fan when we brought him over and he's shown quite a bit of improvement along with Patty. Baynes is solid and I think he's still getting better.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd trade him for Steven Adams

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overall probably one of our best this pre season, came on leaps and bounds
    I'm impressed with both Baynes and Mills this preseason. They've both come back to the team with what looks like improved games. It really does look like they both worked very hard in the off season, and that is great to see.

On the other hand, I think Jeff Ayres has been mediocre since his first couple of games, where I thought he was decent, but he's gotten worse as the games have gone on IMO. I thought he was athletic, but to me, he looks like yet another player that is a little undersized and doesn't have much of a vertical leap. I've kind of had enough of that undersized-can't jump-can't grab a board type of player. Hopefully I am wrong about him and he gets better with more experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm impressed with both Baynes and Mills this preseason. They've both come back to the team with what looks like improved games. It really does look like they both worked very hard in the off season, and that is great to see.

On the other hand, I think Jeff Ayres has been mediocre since his first couple of games, where I thought he was decent, but he's gotten worse as the games have gone on IMO. I thought he was athletic, but to me, he looks like yet another player that is a little undersized and doesn't have much of a vertical leap. I've kind of had enough of that undersized-can't jump-can't grab a board type of player. Hopefully I am wrong about him and he gets better with more experience.
    I get some of what you're saying about Ayres, he misses some easy shots. I just wonder how a guy that "can't jump" can slam dunk like he can?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get some of what you're saying about Ayres, he misses some easy shots. I just wonder how a guy that "can't jump" can slam dunk like he can?
    I think I've missed nearly all his dunks. I wasn't able to watch today's game, did he dunk in today's game? From the games I've watched, he seems to get blocked near the rim quite a bit, and just because you can dunk it, doesn't mean you have a great vertical.

I've seen Bonner do a pretty decent two handed dunk in a game, but that doesn't mean . Doesn't mean he is an explosive leaper. If you are undersized and aren't an decent/explosive leaper, then that doesn't really help you in the NBA game, it can really work against you, just ask Blair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How was his defense on Howard and Asik?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you say so. He has played a piece of a season in the NBA so far. I am not saying that he is suddenly going to get a 3 point shot but I do think that Baynes can tighten his game significantly and expand it incrementally. Big mean develop to a later curve.

The reason why I say Gasol is because of what Gasol's game is.

Offensively, Gasol is limited out of the post. His post up game is a turnaround jumper. Baynes turnaround out of the post needs more reps but its there. Gasol does not have the overhand hood like Baynes does. Gasol's jumper's range goes to 18 feet. Baynes I have seen a bit more than 15 feet so far but he can hit from anywhere in that range he is making shots from the baseline, wing and freethrow line. He makes those shots with touch and I see no reason why he could not rep a shot like Duncan does at 18 feet. Gasol has a lot more polish but Baynes doesn't have near as many NBA minutes. I have not seen it much but I did see Baynes take Horford off the dribble. That was a revelation.

Defensively is where Gasol sets himself above other NBA players. His post defense is probably best in the league and he anchors the Grizzly defense. His game is VERY polished. That being said, he cannot jump as well as Baynes nor is he as quick as Baynes. The one thing about Baynes is that he much like Mills plays somewhat frenetically and it makes him lose coordination or get overextended. We have not seen him get many plays against the NBA's best post players. What we have seen is that he is difficult to move and get away from.

If Baynes can perfect the skills that he already has, it compares favorably with Gasol's skillset. More NBA reps in the Spurs system will see him play better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How was his defense on Howard and Asik?
    Asik is very limited offensively. He just has no moves. I think I saw him in the post against Howard once and he ended up passing out of it. Doesn't say much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think he deserves playing time, we should take games off and play him 35 minutes in those games (i mean the games timmy is rested), so we can see what he can do if given time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ceiling marc gasol is ridiculous, but it may prove to be a solid pivo in nba

Thread Information