Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Off-topic thread, but I'm curious on how many users here are big George Gervin fans. I don't mean the casual "Yeah he played for the Spurs so he's cool" support, I mean being an actual fan of his game.

I'm only 17 so I never got to witness Gervin live by any means... But I love watching clips of his games, or highlight reels of his best moments. He's my third favorite Spur of all time behind Tim and Kawhi.

Lol Kawhi being in my top 3 just shows how new I am

But you gotta admit, It's amazing to think of how blessed the Spurs are to be given 4 down-to-earth stars. Gervin, Robinson, Duncan, and now Leonard? Can you get any more humble?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To ride the OP's coat tails, any guys here who've seen the iceman play? I'm just curious which current or modern NBA player comes closest to him in terms of playing style?

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Off-topic thread, but I'm curious on how many users here are big George Gervin fans. I don't mean the casual "Yeah he played for the Spurs so he's cool" support, I mean being an actual fan of his game.

I'm only 17 so I never got to witness Gervin live by any means... But I love watching clips of his games, or highlight reels of his best moments. He's my third favorite Spur of all time behind Tim and Kawhi.

Lol Kawhi being in my top 3 just shows how new I am

But you gotta admit, It's amazing to think of how blessed the Spurs are to be given 4 down-to-earth stars. Gervin, Robinson, Duncan, and now Leonard? Can you get any more humble?
    The Iceman was poetry in motion.

Spurs have been blessed with other great stars you forgot.
    Captain Late (Si) James Silas, Johnny Moore (00), Sean Elliott (Ninja), Manu, Bruce Bowen, and Tony Parker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DRob, don't forget 5-0

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DRob, don't forget 5-0
    Could never forget the Admiral, but he mentioned him.

But I left Avery Johnson out on purpose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was fortunate to have witnessed the Iceman's exploits on many occasions. He was truly one of most explosive and creative scorers the NBA has ever seen. Inside, outside, around the basket, bank shots, fingerolls, he attacked from any angle. He didn't shoot many 3-pt shots. It's amazing that he shot 51% for his career and made it look very easy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya, Ice was awesome. It was he, Dr J and pistol Pete that got me into the game as a kid

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was fortunate to have witnessed the Iceman's exploits on many occasions. He was truly one of most explosive and creative scorers the NBA has ever seen. Inside, outside, around the basket, bank shots, fingerolls, he attacked from any angle. He didn't shoot many 3-pt shots. It's amazing that he shot 51% for his career and made it look very easy.
    Was the 3 point shot even part of the NBA back then?

silverblk mystix
    To ride the OP's coat tails, any guys here who've seen the iceman play? I'm just curious which current or modern NBA player comes closest to him in terms of playing style?

I grew up watching the Iceman and he was a joy to watch.

Have you ever watched a game and seen someone make a move or a play that you just laugh out loud because the play was just jaw dropping and almost miraculous?

This is what is was like watching Gervin. He looked so frail and didn't move very fast - he glided - but he would drive into the lane - get hit three or four times - spin - throw up a prayer - I mean a finger roll from just below the free throw line - (if you have ever seen Manu doing a trick shot while goofing around - it seems to be the same - except this was in a game!) - and kiss it off the glass.

Some games - the Spurs needed a spark and you just knew that Gervin was going to take over. I would literally laugh out loud that no matter who was guarding him - no matter how much stronger, faster or bigger he was - Gervin was unstoppable.

I watched him when he got thirty some points in a quarter - and most of those shots were like something out of a H-O-R-S-E game - just unbelievable accurate trick shot after trick shot. Un instoppable.

I remember when the scoring le was at stake and David Thompson scored 73 freakin points - and Gervin was to play later that evening.

The opponent knew that Gervin needed something like 45 or 50 points to win the scoring le so they tried to double him - tried to triple him -

lolololol

Ice scored 63 points and won the scoring le.

He is up there for me with D Rob,Timmy and Manu and Parker - but I would put Gervin #1. When the Spurs were robbed in 79' - I think it was the biggest crime to rob the Iceman of a well deserved le.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he got a ring in '99, not as a player of course, but because he was part of the organization. You could see the huge smile on his face in the River parade. It made me feel great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I grew up watching the Iceman and he was a joy to watch.

Have you ever watched a game and seen someone make a move or a play that you just laugh out loud because the play was just jaw dropping and almost miraculous?

This is what is was like watching Gervin. He looked so frail and didn't move very fast - he glided - but he would drive into the lane - get hit three or four times - spin - throw up a prayer - I mean a finger roll from just below the free throw line - (if you have ever seen Manu doing a trick shot while goofing around - it seems to be the same - except this was in a game!) - and kiss it off the glass.

Some games - the Spurs needed a spark and you just knew that Gervin was going to take over. I would literally laugh out loud that no matter who was guarding him - no matter how much stronger, faster or bigger he was - Gervin was unstoppable.

I watched him when he got thirty some points in a quarter - and most of those shots were like something out of a H-O-R-S-E game - just unbelievable accurate trick shot after trick shot. Un instoppable.

I remember when the scoring le was at stake and David Thompson scored 73 freakin points - and Gervin was to play later that evening.

The opponent knew that Gervin needed something like 45 or 50 points to win the scoring le so they tried to double him - tried to triple him -

lolololol

Ice scored 63 points and won the scoring le.

He is up there for me with D Rob,Timmy and Manu and Parker - but I would put Gervin #1. When the Spurs were robbed in 79' - I think it was the biggest crime to rob the Iceman of a well deserved le.
    Wow, that is an in depth description of his game. Thanks a lot man. So, which current or modern player best resembles the iceman's game? I remember he was asked that question, and he answered KD, but only in terms of build since their games were totally different.

silverblk mystix
    Wow, that is an in depth description of his game. Thanks a lot man. So, which current or modern player best resembles the iceman's game? I remember he was asked that question, and he answered KD, but only in terms of build since their games were totally different.

I can see a couple of similarities with Ice & KD - but I guess KD is more athletic while Ice would be smoother.

Give KD a little less herky-jerky and more smoothness and he would be close.

Can't think of anyone else that compares too closely - Ice had his own thing going - and seemed to defy his looks. When you saw how easily he could dominate - then looked at his frail looking body and it just didn't seem to compute. He never looked like he was trying that hard lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see a couple of similarities with Ice & KD - but I guess KD is more athletic while Ice would be smoother.

Give KD a little less herky-jerky and more smoothness and he would be close.

Can't think of anyone else that compares too closely - Ice had his own thing going - and seemed to defy his looks. When you saw how easily he could dominate - then looked at his frail looking body and it just didn't seem to compute. He never looked like he was trying that hard lol.
    Man, in, it sure is great to know some old timers. Makes us younger guys know what the legends from the other eras were like. Thanks a lot sir, you've really upped my interest in the iceman!

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ice is awesome. I sat in the seat behind him on a flight from Las Vegas the first week of last season and we were talking about how much fun Hemisfair Arena was and how he thought the Spurs had a really good team for 2012-13. He was signing autographs and talking to everyone around. Just an all around awesome guy who really appreciates his fans, and what a player to watch he was. I can really see the Durant comparison with Ice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With he exception of Russell, I think it's pretty cool that each legend was wearing the color of the teams they played on. Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I met him at a Toros event here in Austin. One of the friendliest guys ever. I only started watching the NBA in the last couple years of his career, but I became a history buff for the league and managed to see many many highlights. That finger roll, that acrobatic style... he was about as graceful a player as you can get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wtf is that scrub clyde doing inthere?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only word that comes to mind when describing him play (besides ice of course) was slick. the man was just slick. i am 40 grew up going to the arena to watch him play. Felt so blessed to watch. In my day every kid in CYO always wanted to be #44. Oh and he was a of guy off the court. Ice always made time for the fans and he truly loves San Antonio. God bless Ice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Incredible player. One of the greatest "shot makers" ever. At the time, a pioneer as one of the only big (or should I say tall) shooting guards in the league. The body control, the angles, the different ball spins off the glass, the finger rolls...just an amazing offensive machine. I remember one drive where he beat his man, the defense collapsed, he looked like he was going to shoot a reverse layup on the opposite side, but a defender closed to shut that option, so at the last second, in the air and under the basket, he extended his arm towards the front of the rim, and smoothly flipped the ball up and in. Ah...the memories.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a truly sad day in San Antonio when they traded him away, but I think a lot of that had to do with his cocaine use.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George Gervin is the reason that the Spurs went into the NBA and also the reason that pro basketball became a success in San Antonio with a dynamic fan base that loves our Spurs like no other.

You have to remember (or watch some of the do entaries on NBA-TV occasionally which feature the old ABA teams and stars) that the ABA was a league with a lot of flash, great players, but no fan support in a lot of cities. The ABA was about to fold, and when the "merger" occurred, it was really an unconditional surrender on the part of the ABA teams.

San Antonio went from a city without any serious basketball tradition to a city of rabid fans for their only professional team. San Antonio was a very small market, although it was financially and professionally a success. So Angelo was able to negotiate the Spurs entrance into a league that turned up its nose at the upstarts with their 3 pt shot and red white and blue ball.

The success of the Spurs didn't happen with several pro football teams in minor leagues, although Texas is acknowledged as a football hotbed, so what was the difference?

For my money, it was George Gervin. Basketball is a game of individual stars and Gervin was more than a team star, he was a superstar. He gave the fans a great entertainment value for the price of their tickets. At each and every game there was at least one impossibly creative shot that made me turn to the people around me in the stands and say, "That's the play that pays for my ticket." How many other players in the game--past or present--can be put into that category? For sure they are with him in the Top Fifty of all time. If you need another opinion, the incomparable Dr. J said that Gervin was the player he most enjoyed watching.

Unfortunately, the amount of highlight film on Gervin's exploits is slim for some reason. I went to his retirement banquet and the highlight film that the Spurs provided was woefully short.

But if you enjoy today's Spurs, a storied franchise that competes with teams with huge markets, remember that the early days were successful too and without George Gervin there probably wouldn't be a Spurs franchise.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George Gervin is the reason that the Spurs went into the NBA and also the reason that pro basketball became a success in San Antonio with a dynamic fan base that loves our Spurs like no other.

You have to remember (or watch some of the do entaries on NBA-TV occasionally which feature the old ABA teams and stars) that the ABA was a league with a lot of flash, great players, but no fan support in a lot of cities. The ABA was about to fold, and when the "merger" occurred, it was really an unconditional surrender on the part of the ABA teams.

San Antonio went from a city without any serious basketball tradition to a city of rabid fans for their only professional team. San Antonio was a very small market, although it was financially and professionally a success. So Angelo was able to negotiate the Spurs entrance into a league that turned up its nose at the upstarts with their 3 pt shot and red white and blue ball.

The success of the Spurs didn't happen with several pro football teams in minor leagues, although Texas is acknowledged as a football hotbed, so what was the difference?

For my money, it was George Gervin. Basketball is a game of individual stars and Gervin was more than a team star, he was a superstar. He gave the fans a great entertainment value for the price of their tickets. At each and every game there was at least one impossibly creative shot that made me turn to the people around me in the stands and say, "That's the play that pays for my ticket." How many other players in the game--past or present--can be put into that category? For sure they are with him in the Top Fifty of all time. If you need another opinion, the incomparable Dr. J said that Gervin was the player he most enjoyed watching.

Unfortunately, the amount of highlight film on Gervin's exploits is slim for some reason. I went to his retirement banquet and the highlight film that the Spurs provided was woefully short.

But if you enjoy today's Spurs, a storied franchise that competes with teams with huge markets, remember that the early days were successful too and without George Gervin there probably wouldn't be a Spurs franchise.
    This is very true. To a certain extent you can add Capt. Late (Silas), Johnny Moore (00), the Bruise Brothers, and Kenon, but the superstar among those great stars was Ice. For sure without him there would be no San Antonio Spurs today. This tradition was carried on by DRob, and now to TD, TP, and Manu. We will see if Kawhi carries it further.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information