Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    typical lib: Lets outlaw employment contracts. That won't affect employment!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only way to solve this is to pass the benefits and companys pay, defer them to the employee...aka health costs...

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Won't raising the minimum wage to 15 dollars just make things significantly more expensive?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Won't raising the minimum wage to 15 dollars just make things significantly more expensive?
    thats if you can move twice as much the volume to make up the fixed costs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    google "raise minimum wage effect on prices"

in products where the retail labor is a direct input, eg junk food , eg, Big Mac would go up $0.68.

or even better:

The Real Change In The Cost Of A Big Mac If McDonald's Workers Were Paid $15 An Hour: Nothing

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

... and that's from Forbes, the quintessential pro-Corporate-American / anti-Human-American class warrior.

But even if the prices did change, the increase would be paid by the employer + consumer, the direct "users" of the labor, and less paid by tax taxpayers subsidizing the employer + consumer, if $15/hour lifted low-wagers off public assistance.

In fact, I would set the minimum wage by that measure: minimum wage must be high enough so a single earner would not need public assistance, and of course indexed to inflation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One year, in 2006, we looked at Arizona state minimum wage proposal, which was a 30 percent increase in the state minimum wage. At the time, it was $5.15, and it was being proposed to be raised to $6.75. [...] And what we did is we went and we looked to see how much would this cost businesses. We looked at what are the wages of workers at the time, how many hours did they work. We added that all up. We looked at payroll taxes and how much that would go up for employers. [...]What we found is, for the average business in Arizona, that the cost increase would be less than 0.1 percent. And so if you want to think about it in real concrete terms, businesses, by raising their prices by less than 0.1 percent, would be able to cover all the costs of a minimum-wage increase of a size of 30 percent.

During my Senate campaign, I ate a number 11 at McDonald's many, many times a week, and I know the price on that one, $7.19. According to the data on the analysis of what would happen if we raised the minimum wage to $10.10 over three years, the price increase on that item would be about $0.04. So instead of being $7.19, it would be $7.23. Are you telling me that's unsustainable?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/0...es-by-how-much

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nearly One And A Half Million Workers Will Get A Raise On New Year’s Day

Come January 1, over 1.4 million people — 1,441,000 to be exact — will get a raise thanks to increasing minimum wages in 13 states, according to an analysis by the National Employment Law Project (NELP).

Four states — Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island — passed increases in their minimum wages this year that take effect at the beginning of 2014. The other nine — Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Missouri, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington — will see an increase thanks to state laws that require automatic annual raises tied to the cost of living. California also passed a higher wage of $10 an hour that will take effect later in the year.

At the city level, workers in the small Washington state town of SeaTac will get a $15 wageafter a ballot initiative passed in November, and San Francisco and San Jose will both see increases on January 1 thanks to required automatic adjustments indexed to inflation, raising their wages to $10.79 and $10.15, respectively. Those in Washington, D.C. are likely to get one of $11.50 next year as well.

NELP also estimates that more than 1.1 million workers who make just above the minimum will be indirectly impacted by the 13 states’ higher wages as pay scales are revised upward. The increased wages for both those making minimum wage and those just above it will come to nearly a billion dollars, or $978 million. The extra spending that will generate will boost GDP by nearly $620 million.

According to NELP, 21 states will have minimum wages higher than the federal level of $7.25 as of January 1. Higher wages could be on their way across the country, as proposals have been introduced in Delaware, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and New Hampshire. Organizers are also trying to get the issue in front of voters with ballot initiatives in Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Massachusetts, New Mexico, South Dakota, and Washington, D.C.

This flurry of action comes amid stalled efforts at the federal level to boost wages for all of the country’s workers.

Democrats introduced a bill to raise the national minimum wage to $10.10 an hour in March, a level that is now backed by President Obama, but House Republicans unanimously voted it down despite many of them supporting increases under President George W. Bush.

A $10.10 wage would put it back in line with increasing inflation since the 1960s, but to keep pace with increasing worker productivity it would have to be more than $20 an hour.

A $10.10 wage would also lift nearly 6 million people out of poverty while boosting GDP by $22.1 billion and supporting the creation of about 85,000 new jobs.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...ge-raise-year/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most Americans for Raising Minimum Wage

http://www.gallup.com/poll/165794/am...imum-wage.aspx

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And while Dems and some states are trying un minimum wagers, Repugs are ing over the military

Younger military veterans are angered by budget cuts to their pension benefits

The plan to trim pension increases for working-age military retirees such as Preston is by far the most controversial provision in a bipartisan budget dealapproved by Congress and signed last weekby President Obama.

The cut is small — a one-percentage-point reduction in the annual cost-of-living increase — but it has provoked outrage among veterans, some of whom argue that the country is reneging on a solemn pact. And even though lawmakers, especially in the GOP, fulminate about the need to cut the cost of federal health and retirement benefits, many have vowed to roll the cut back when Congress returns to work next week.

The authors of the budget deal, House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Senate Budget Committee Chairman Patty Murray (D-Wash.), have agreed to amend the provision to exempt disabled retirees and survivors of those killed in action, eliminating roughly 10 percent of the $6 billion in savings projected over the next decade.

But Ryan has resisted efforts to abandon the pension cut entirely, calling it a “modest” adjustment to a particularly generous program — and therefore a more sensible choice than harder decisions that may lie ahead.

“I stand behind the need for reform,” Ryan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...y.html?hpid=z1

$4B PER YEAR in BigOil tax expenditures, $40B handed to BigOil over the 10 years when Ryan is cutting vets by $6B.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 01-01-2014 at 11:24 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Increasing the minimum wage has never really had much effect on wealth redistribution. Raise the rate for everyone, then the cost of everything goes up. It can actually push people off of government assistance, but does not really improve the quality of life as inflation makes the raise moot. The key to economic growth for the poor is through skills development. Better skills will provide better pay. Minimum wage jobs should be looked at a transient positions to a higher skill level. How these skills are achieved can be debated. Also, developing better opportunities for the working poor to create and manage their own business should be part of the solution, as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Increasing the minimum wage has never really had much effect on wealth redistribution. Raise the rate for everyone, then the cost of everything goes up. It can actually push people off of government assistance, but does not really improve the quality of life as inflation makes the raise moot. The key to economic growth for the poor is through skills development. Better skills will provide better pay. Minimum wage jobs should be looked at a transient positions to a higher skill level. How these skills are achieved can be debated. Also, developing better opportunities for the working poor to create and manage their own business should be part of the solution, as well.
    bull

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Just give everyone a living stipend of 100,000/year and nobody will ever have to work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if letting in 10s of millions of low skilled immigrants from 3rd world countries has had any effect on the wages of low skill jobs. You know, that whole supply and demand thing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if letting in 10s of millions of low skilled immigrants from 3rd world countries has had any effect on the wages of low skill jobs. You know, that whole supply and demand thing.
    there have been stores of farmers saying they cannot get Americans to do seasonal ag work, low-level hotel staff after xenophobes/racists in their states scared away the illegals. iow, there is no supply of American workers to meet the ag work demand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny, I thought the point of this thread was to pay American workers more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny, I thought the point of this thread was to pay American workers more.
    The point of TSA's post was the typical " poor people, don't raise the minimum wage (abolish it if possible, some Repugs say, and put children to work)".

Farmers would rather let their crops rot in the fields, on the trees, sell their water to Coca Cola, rather than pay $15/hour + benefits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you cut off immigration the farmers would have to pay higher wages for human-American workers, or they wouldn't have any workers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will ultimately balance out. The low skill/low wage employees will eventually get fired/be unemployed as higher motivated and skilled workers from other unregulated parts of the economy take those jobs and produce more output with fewer hours.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will ultimately balance out. The low skill/low wage employees will eventually get fired/be unemployed as higher motivated and skilled workers from other unregulated parts of the economy take those jobs and produce more output with fewer hours.
    manual labor is manual labor. paying more for manual labor doesn't get more productive labor. mechanization is the best way to harvest fruit, veg, nuts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    manual labor is manual labor. paying more for manual labor doesn't get more productive labor. mechanization is the best way to harvest fruit, veg, nuts.
    That just shows how little you know about the real world. All workers are not equal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That just shows how little you know about the real world. All workers are not equal.
    Do you really think paying good wages to American citizens as ag workers is going to get really fast tomato picking?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tho OP was specifically about hotel workers in one town in Washington State. and yeah, they can get better quality workers for $15 than they can get at $10. At $15 an hour your hard working construction laborers would consider switching jobs to working for a hotel and the $10 an hour slugs that are working for the hotels now will eventually get replaced by better workers.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One year, in 2006, we looked at Arizona state minimum wage proposal, which was a 30 percent increase in the state minimum wage. At the time, it was $5.15, and it was being proposed to be raised to $6.75. [...] And what we did is we went and we looked to see how much would this cost businesses. We looked at what are the wages of workers at the time, how many hours did they work. We added that all up. We looked at payroll taxes and how much that would go up for employers. [...]What we found is, for the average business in Arizona, that the cost increase would be less than 0.1 percent. And so if you want to think about it in real concrete terms, businesses, by raising their prices by less than 0.1 percent, would be able to cover all the costs of a minimum-wage increase of a size of 30 percent.

During my Senate campaign, I ate a number 11 at McDonald's many, many times a week, and I know the price on that one, $7.19. According to the data on the analysis of what would happen if we raised the minimum wage to $10.10 over three years, the price increase on that item would be about $0.04. So instead of being $7.19, it would be $7.23. Are you telling me that's unsustainable?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/0...es-by-how-much

What an idiotic, simple-minded, ridiculous analysis.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What an idiotic, simple-minded, ridiculous analysis.
    thanks for the explanation.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    there have been stores of farmers saying they cannot get Americans to do seasonal ag work, low-level hotel staff after xenophobes/racists in their states scared away the illegals. iow, there is no supply of American workers to meet the ag work demand.
    Excuses excuses.

Stop the illegal immigrants, and these places will raise wages to the point they can attract employees.

Thread Information