NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Boring so far.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    There we go, finally some improvement. When all else fails increase the body count.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Pretty good gunfight last night. We're finally seeing some connections being made as well. I figured that strange doctor/psychiatrist would resurface. I'm wondering if Rachel McAdam's dad knows more than he has let on.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Pretty good gunfight last night. We're finally seeing some connections being made as well. I figured that strange doctor/psychiatrist would resurface. I'm wondering if Rachel McAdam's dad knows more than he has let on.
    Yup, that old pic he had of those guys by the lake was telling. Still too many story lines, and I don't care for the Woodrow is a angle either

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Kitsch has impressed me. I never liked him before, but I think he's easily been the best actor to start the series. Has an interesting role and is playing it very well IMVHO.

Still not sure what this is about or how it ties into everything from S1 though. You have similar elements (old photos that allude to something, men in masks, rich families ruling things behind the scenes and in with cops, etc..) but I really don't know much of the plot 4 episodes in.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Kitsch has impressed me. I never liked him before, but I think he's easily been the best actor to start the series. Has an interesting role and is playing it very well IMVHO.

Still not sure what this is about or how it ties into everything from S1 though. You have similar elements (old photos that allude to something, men in masks, rich families ruling things behind the scenes and in with cops, etc..) but I really don't know much of the plot 4 episodes in.
    Totally separate from S1.

The writing for McAdams' character is pretty terrible, but Pizzolatto hasn't really done a decent female character yet. Pleasantly surprised with all the performances overall, though each character has at least one really stupid thing going on that shouldn't be a problem (Really Frank? ALL your money?).

Cool shootout. Pretty nice lingering on the detectives' reaction to the enormity of the situation right after.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Totally separate from S1.

The writing for McAdams' character is pretty terrible, but Pizzolatto hasn't really done a decent female character yet. Pleasantly surprised with all the performances overall, though each character has at least one really stupid thing going on that shouldn't be a problem (Really Frank? ALL your money?).

Cool shootout. Pretty nice lingering on the detectives' reaction to the enormity of the situation right after.
    So there is not supposed to be any tie in at all w/S1?? I knew it would be different, but I didn't think that all the events of S1 would just vanish and have absolutely 0 relation to S2. That is just too odd.

It was funny how McAdams caught that complaint and used the "if this were a man" line to which her CO replied "we'd handle it the same way, except he couldn't use that line"

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    So there is not supposed to be any tie in at all w/S1?? I knew it would be different, but I didn't think that all the events of S1 would just vanish and have absolutely 0 relation to S2. That is just too odd.
    It's an anthology series. A minor trend these days -- True Detective, Fargo, American Horror Story....

It was funny how McAdams caught that complaint and used the "if this were a man" line to which her CO replied "we'd handle it the same way, except he couldn't use that line"
    Yeah, that was good. So two out of the three cops are suspended from their regular jobs and the third is known to be dirty. Jeez, how long would everyone be riding desks while that shootout with dozens of victims and no one left alive save those three got sorted out?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Yeah, that was good. So two out of the three cops are suspended from their regular jobs and the third is known to be dirty. Jeez, how long would everyone be riding desks while that shootout with dozens of victims and no one left alive save those three got sorted out?
    The case is likely going to be considered closed by the higher-ups in the beginning of episode 5. After all, as Ray said, "I don't think we're really supposed to solve this case".

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    The case is likely going to be considered closed by the higher-ups in the beginning of episode 5. After all, as Ray said, "I don't think we're really supposed to solve this case".
    Oh sure, they're going to have to go rogue to get to the bottom of things. I'm just wondering how something like that incident would be handled IRL.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Good episode. Trying not to be a snob and just try to enjoy a show in the summer. Have to painfully realize there is no basketball or football

Shootin' like Ed O'Bannon Darius McCrary's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    One 9 minute gunfight scene and everyone predictably jumps back on board.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I criticized people early on for not giving it a chance and automatically considering it to be a failure due to the impossible task of living up to season 1, but I really haven't been impressed, so far..

It's still doing enough to keep me engaged, but it hasn't been anything special..McAdams' character has been poorly written, Farrell's character is a giant cliche, and I don't know if it's because I'm accustomed to seeing Vince Vaughn in so many sarcastic, dry humor roles, but I can't take him seriously..

Kitsch has been the only main character I've enjoyed, tbh..McAdams' dad and the psychiatrist seem interesting, among peripheral characters..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm done. If there's another season after this I'll give it a go based on how the first season went. But this is where I officially get off the train. I tried.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hopefully Fargo isn't as much of a letdown..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    not a single comment on the past episode... has everyone given up on it?

The curiosity factor will keep me tuned into the last 3 episodes, especially after Farrell just showed up at Vince Vaughn's house to confront him about giving him the wrong rapist suspect to kill.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

The curiosity factor will keep me tuned into the last 3 episodes, especially after Farrell just showed up at Vince Vaughn's house to confront him about giving him the wrong rapist suspect to kill.
    we dropped HBO a few months ago. Seems like we go through phases. Was thinking about picking it up again just for TD 2 but glad I didn't.

The first season was pretty close to perfect. Guess they set the bar too high.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

This might have been the best episode so far tbh, but it almost made all the previous episodes superfluous.

It's pretty funny that once you take away the setting and the quasi-mystical bull from season 1, it's not too different from season 2 as far as plot and writing go. I'd want to say that Vaughn was miscast, but the stupid monologues and odd metaphors just don't fit Frank as a character at all.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    This might have been the best episode so far tbh, but it almost made all the previous episodes superfluous.
    Yeah we were both right about the post-gunfight episode being some time into the future and they are, well, semi-rogue in the sense that they are working undercover and off the grid. The detective work in TD has always thrived when they don't have to follow the rules, hence Farrell beating the out of Dr. Pitler (SP?) to get some answers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Yeah we were both right about the post-gunfight episode being some time into the future and they are, well, semi-rogue in the sense that they are working undercover and off the grid. The detective work in TD has always thrived when they don't have to follow the rules, hence Farrell beating the out of Dr. Pitler (SP?) to get some answers.
    It was trippy seeing Rick Springfield made up like that; same with Rob Lowe in the Liberace show. His character reminded me a lot of Henry Gibson's doctor character in The Long Goodbye, one of my favorite LA crime movies.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I just don't get this season at all. It's not bad, but I think it was a huge mistake to not tie into S1. There was no possible way with how S1 was received that they could have shaken the comparisons. They should have went with it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That's how I felt as well. I said to my wife that they could have condensed the first 4 episodes into 2 episodes and got to this situation much quicker and allowed more time to flesh out the interesting bits.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm sticking with it.
    Last two episodes have me committed to see through the end. Frank's wife is so cougar I love it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I just don't get this season at all. It's not bad, but I think it was a huge mistake to not tie into S1. There was no possible way with how S1 was received that they could have shaken the comparisons. They should have went with it.
    From the beginning, we were told that each season was its own separate story. The problem with this season isn't that it didn't tie into season 1; it's that it isn't as good as season 1 from a writing or directing perspective.

Thread Information