http://io9.com/the-one-literary-refe...ate-1523076497

I'll be reading it shortly, just got it on my kindle

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Another solid episode. The last 10 minutes was packed with info. I had to rewind the ending and watch it again because a couple names are mentioned that we haven't heard since the 2nd episode.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Had to do a flight to Montego Bay (don't ever go there tbh)so i missed it...can't wait to get home

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I'm on episode 2, I'm hooked - Rust is badass. Woody's char is pissing me off for some reason though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    It's infamous to Louisianans (sp?) But Angola really is the scariest place on earth. We used to have to take pt's out of there back when i worked for Acadian.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    That episode was so goddamn unnerving. I didn't really care about the case at first because I thought the show would be a character study. But now I have no idea what to think.

It's funny that the last forty minutes were more thrilling than the first twenty, even though there was no real action. That music made everything ominous.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Good episode, but there's no way they allow this to turn into some sort of Dexter knock off. I just don't see it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I can't get past episode 2

For those with basic cable...NSFW!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1a...s01e02_redband

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I would highly recommend reading the first four stories of the King in Yellow and rewatching the episodes. A lot more jumps out at you after.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^ I noticed that too. I don't think it's essential to enjoying the show more than something for horror lit nerds to geek out over.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    ^ I noticed that too. I don't think it's essential to enjoying the show more than something for horror lit nerds to geek out over.
    Definitely not essential. Here is it on Google Books for free if anyone is interested:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qHg...yellow&f=false

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I hesitate to over-praise anything that's only five episodes in but this show is already setting a new bar for quality TV.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Never was a big MM fan but his performance here is one of the best I've seen.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    In all of this hocus pocus bull seems to be lost the fact that drugs are being created and distributed. Sure it's been part of the story line, but the attention is drawn to the mysterious as if the drug trade itself is a side note. On the contrary, I'd suspect that the drug trade is the heart of the operation, and that the mysterious cir stances are just a misdirection. The children being locked up doesn't say to me "sacrifice" but "illegal money making operation". Those guys, as much as they talk about the supernatural and the mind game, they are in it for profit and you have to wonder how high the profit goes. I'd say follow the money here, not the killings. I'd bet that there are governor's office people involved. I hope not. That's been done to death already.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I hesitate to over-praise anything that's only five episodes in but this show is already setting a new bar for quality TV.
    I don't blame you for hyping this. The thing that separates True Detective from every other TV show is that it has one director and one writer. It's like an eight hour long movie. It has no lulls in its story. It's got one direction and one story. Fans of few TV shows can say the same thing.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's been a pain to avoid this thread but , the wait was worth it. Just caught up on the last two episodes and there is seriously, nothing better on television than this. I knew once that smug minister made an appearance and flexed his power, he was gonna have a pivotal role in the killings. I can see a giant cover up and Cole and Hart being forced to shut up in 2002 yet Cole continuing the investigation on his own. The possibilities are endless though. That one track shot, goddamn.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Minnesota Golden Gophers
    Just keeps getting better and better.... God I hope Rust doesn't turn out to be in on it. Also lol @ woody's daughter...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Just keeps getting better and better.... God I hope Rust doesn't turn out to be in on it. Also lol @ woody's daughter...
    Just saw it now too...Rust being in on it would be too convenient and cheap.

That ep 6 preview of the methed-out girl talking to Cohle was interesting

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Minnesota Golden Gophers
    Just saw it now too...Rust being in on it would be too convenient and cheap.

That ep 6 preview of the methed-out girl talking to Cohle was interesting
    Yea it would, I trust the writers though. They've come up with something awesome im sure..

The tweaked out chick could be Heart's daughter imo

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Yea it would, I trust the writers though. They've come up with something awesome im sure..

The tweaked out chick could be Heart's daughter imo
    No, we saw what his daughters look like and that meth chick was young too and didn't look like them. Interesting how they showed that "crown in the tree" scene with his daughters though, while he was saying "the answer was under my nose." Seriously doubt that was some directorial red herring

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Minnesota Golden Gophers
    No, we saw what his daughters look like and that meth chick was young too and didn't look like them. Interesting how they showed that "crown in the tree" scene with his daughters though, while he was saying "the answer was under my nose." Seriously doubt that was some directorial red herring
    That is interesting, and the director iirc hasn't done much to throw us off so far.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Minnesota Golden Gophers
    And if you noticed Reggie Ledoux didnt have that spiral symbol tattoed on him. That is if I saw correctly, which I'm sure I did.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Theories all over the place are that something bad happened to the older daughter that will end up being related to the yellow king, hence the sex drawings as a little girl and the bratty/goth/getting-double-banged-in-a-car teenager phase.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    And if you noticed Reggie Ledoux didnt have that spiral symbol tattoed on him. That is if I saw correctly, which I'm sure I did.
    It was branded on him, as Charlie Lang said in prison. It's subtle but visible just above the big pentagram tattoo on his back.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Since he's still investigating the murders in 02 after the suicide, that doesn't make much sense to me. I just think he's gone vigilante on those he thinks actually did the killings.
    Theories all over the place are that something bad happened to the older daughter that will end up being related to the yellow king, hence the sex drawings as a little girl and the bratty/goth/getting-double-banged-in-a-car teenager phase.
    Yeah, the subplot and the time spent on it doesn't make much sense otherwise. One crazy theory has Hart's being basically a Leland Palmer Yellow King Bob, but I think Jay O. Sanders is wearing that hairpiece for a reason.

Thread Information