Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by Bruno; 02-28-2013 at 06:37 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which players would you like the Spurs to sign? I'd like the Spurs to release Jackson unless he wants to resign for very cheap, Diaw same thing, Manu I'm not sure. Manu has said he may retire, even if he doesn't he said he's fine with he money he's made in his career and money doesn't matter meaning the Spurs could get him for dirt cheap. I just want Neal gone, he can't run the point and he's horrible defensively.

Mine in no particular order:
    1. Toney Allen
    2. Josh Smith
    3. Derrick Favors
    4. Paul Milsap
    5. Pekovic
    6. Ayon
    7. Mozgov
    8. Vucevic
    9. Tyreke Evans

I know they can't afford all of them I'm not re ed, however I'd like to see at least 2 of these guys join the Spurs next season.

They need to go after Allen hard, if the Spurs really want to return to a defensive powerhouse they MUST get him, can you imagine a back court of him and Kawhi wreaking havoc? Disgusting.

I'd love to have Smith however I think he will get a max contract, Favors on the other hand isn't a proven star however I think he's got the potential to be one, this guy is a beast and could probably be had for around $10 mill.

Could someone please tell me how much the Spurs have to spend should they not resign Neal, Jack, Blair and Manu?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dunno about tony allen, can he score?

i think pekovic is an interesting case...

tyreke evans needs a new team to restart his career....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah has a team option on Favors, he isn't going to hit free agency

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A part of the 2013 summer for Spurs would be the amnesty claim. If Spurs have some cap space, using it on amnestied player could be the right move instead of trying to convince some free agents.

Marc Stein made a list of players eligible to be amnestied last July , here is the updated version:

AMNESTY ELIGIBLE IN JULY 2013
    ATLANTA – Al Horford
    BOSTON – Avery Bradley, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo
    CHARLOTTE – Tyrus Thomas
    CHICAGO – Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng, Joakim Noah
    DETROIT – Greg Monroe, Charlie Villanueva
    LA LAKERS – Steve Blake, Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace
    MEMPHIS – Mike Conley, Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph
    MIAMI – Joel Anthony, Chris Bosh, Udonis Haslem, LeBron James, Mike Miller, Dwyane Wade
    MILWAUKEE – Drew Gooden, Larry Sanders
    OKLAHOMA CITY – Nick Collison, Kevin Durant, Kendrick Perkins, Thabo Sefolosha
    SACRAMENTO – DeMarcus Cousins, Francisco Garcia (team option), John Salmons
    SAN ANTONIO – Matt Bonner, Tony Parker
    TORONTO – Andrea Bargnani, Ed Davis, Amir Johnson, Linas Kleiza
    UTAH – Derrick Favors, Gordon Hayward

Now, a list of players who have a legit shot at being amnestied:
    CHARLOTTE – Tyrus Thomas
    CHICAGO – Carlos Boozer
    DETROIT – Charlie Villanueva
    LA LAKERS – Steve Blake or Metta World Peace (likely Steve Blake)
    MIAMI – Mike Miller
    MILWAUKEE – Drew Gooden
    OKLAHOMA CITY – Kendrick Perkins (long shot)
    SACRAMENTO – John Salmons
    TORONTO – Andrea Bargnani or Amir Johnson or Linas Kleiza (not sure what they will do)

There are some good players like Boozer who could help Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno just a question

Will SA be able to make a bid without solving Manu's and Jackson's contract situation first considering their huge cap holds?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While not stated explicitly, this section from Coon's FAQ clearly implies that the Spurs could make a bid and then renounce players as needed to create the necessary cap room:

In order to submit a bid for a partial waiver claim, the bidding team must have cap room equivalent to the portion of their bid that would be charged to team salary in that season, plus the amount of any likely bonuses (see question number 72) for that season. If necessary, teams can create this cap room by waiving non-guaranteed players, but not by making trades. The team must make the cap room available immediately upon being awarded the amnesty claim.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno just a question

Will SA be able to make a bid without solving Manu's and Jackson's contract situation first considering their huge cap holds?
    If you can't reach a quick agreement with Jackson and/or Ginobili, there is the option of renouncing to their bird rights and sign them later in the summer with cap space.

Contracts signed with bird rights can be 5 years long instead of 4 and have a biggest annual raise (7.5% instead of 4.5%). The biggest annual raise is a detail and the extra year doesn't apply for player of Jackson's and Ginobili's age. At the end, renouncing to their bird rights wouldn't be really problematic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Mel and Bruno

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally forgot about Iguodala, I think it makes the most sense to sign him, a great defender and he can score as well, perfect Manu replacement. He can shoot the 3 as well, good rebounder and passer, I think he would be a perfect fit here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wattabout birdman? is his case over?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if the T. Thomas interest us still there. On paper an ideal post defender in the new age NBA.

on offense, Bargani could be interesting too where not forced to be the #1 option. To a lesser extent Villanueva too.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love to have Igou but I don't think spurs can compete with Dallas. Maybe Tony Allen C Boozer T Thomas AI Jefferson are more realistic. Spurs can let go S Jax Neal and Bonner to create the space (maybe Diaw as well if he opts out). BTW Spurs are going to sign Adam next year, right?
    Last edited by intlspurshk; 12-29-2012 at 04:24 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I noticed Donte Greene is showing up on Hoopshype as available. He fractured his ankle in August and the Nets aparently backed out on signing him? They show that he may be trying out with the Timberwolves. It looks like the money may right with him and the Spurs should be at least as attractive as the wolves. If he's rehab'd enough do you know a big down side to him, like maybe he thumbed his nose at Pop already? Just wondering about the man. His coach Paul Westphal had good things to say about his defense in this video, he is 6'11" plus he's still only 24.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySdySgljTU4
    Last edited by Strategic; 01-02-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Add information

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Bruno's projection, the spurs end up with 22M in cap space before resigning Manu, Sjax and Tiago. Doesn't seem like we will be left with much cap room (if any) to get any kind of difference maker... And that's if they waive Bonner and we all know it won't happen.

Of course Manu could retire, Sjax could not be resigned but these things won't happen either...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to plant a seed here, for a dream player that I would love to become available. I was enthralled with the idea of the Spurs drafting him last year when he was projected to go undrafted, but eventually he shot up the draft boards and we ended up drafting his teammate instead.

Kim English

I'm baffled to no end that the Pistons don't play him. So are the people on the Pistons baords. He looks great in his limited minutes on the floor. He looked great in his brief D-league stint. By all accounts he looks great in practice. SUPER hard worker, VERY smart player. Exceptional three point shooter. Better than average perimeter defender. Everything about him screams a floor of a contributing NBA player, and a ceiling of a true difference maker on a contender.

If the Pistons pull another Afflalo and inexplicably dump him, I really hope the Spurs swoop in and grab him as a replacement for a departing guard (Jackson most likely). I don't see any other player in the NBA that we could get for that cheap, who'd be that good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anything think we could bring over Al Jefferson? He has spoken regularly that he grew up idolising Duncan and I heard it somewhere (perhaps Bruce Bowens podcast?) that Duncan has a lot of respect for Jefferson too.

Whether we could afford him along with Tiago and Manu is another issue. If we get both of them cheap ($7m and $5m respectively) we could offer $10m. Probably too little for him, but maybe the lure of playing with Duncan could sway him? Starting at $10m, we could offer him 44.5m/4 years. Doubt it would be enough.

Unlikely we could get all three so cheaply. We'll probably just end up resigning everyone we currently have. However, Bruno says Tiagos cap hold is only $7.5m so we could just hold off and resign him after we've grabbed a free agent and give him a bigger contract.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We won't have the cap room but if Manu retires and for some reason we do have the cap room, big Al is a starter and he doesn't fit well next to Tim, none of them are mobile enough to guard PFs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok after spending some time crunching the numbers, heres a possibility for the Spurs.

Assuming Diaw and Mills take their player options we could have $15m to sign free agents. This number is reached by using a $62m cap and taking in to account Splitter and Neals cap holds with the intention of signing them at the end of the summer with Bird Rights, and releasing Bonner and Blair.

For that $15m we would need to resign Manu and a new big man. We could increase that by renouncing the rights to Neal (+ ~$0.5m) or by salary dumping Mills and/or CoJo (+ ~$0.5m each). There could also be a possibility of asking Diaw to opt out and give him another 2 year contract ala RJ, leaving $4.7m on the table for a $7.2m/2 year deal (Starting at $3.5m) for example.

After we've spent this $15m, we can then sign Jackson with the Room exception $5.4m/2years, and Splitter and Neal for as much as the front office wants using bird rights. If Jackson wants a bigger contract than that, I'd let him walk, as the value in renouncing his cap hold and having money to offer a big free agent is too much to pass up.

Of course someone like Splitter could throw a massive spanner in the works by signing a big contract somewhere as a restricted free agent and forcing us to match before we have had a chance to sign a new guy. Would require some cooperation from him.

Basically, if Manu signs for $5m, we could spend $10m on a new big man AND give Splitter a market value contract using his bird rights.
    Last edited by Richie; 01-04-2013 at 03:05 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the Spurs should want to be under the cap next year. When you factor in cap holds and exceptions, there really isn't much upside to trying to save space. If Splitter gets 8, the first-rounder gets 1 and Manu and Jack get 10 together, the Spurs only have 3 Million bucks to work with. That's smaller than the MLE, so the Spurs would be over the cap. Even if the Spurs get under the cap by parting with Jack or Manu, they'd only be able to offer a free agent a contract starting at about $6- or 7 Million. That would let them beat out MLE offers from other teams. They'd also have the room exception, which could help sign a player like Hanga if for some reason a minimum contract couldn't get it done.

There are some good things that can come from that, but I don't know if it's worth giving up on Jack or Manu to make that happen. That doesn't even address Neal's contract situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neal has a cap hold of only $1m. Keep him to the end of free agency and give him something like $3.5 if we want to keep him.

I'm not sure if you read what I wrote, so I'll cliff it. It is quite long.

Assuming $62m salary cap:

- We have $15m to sign Manu and a free agent. Hopefully Manu would be willing to take MLE money, around $5m, but if he took $7m that would still give us $8m for a free agent. We could get more by trading away Mills/Joseph or restructure Diaws contract to bump that up a couple million.

- At this point we will be up against the cap, so we resign Splitter and Neal using their bird rights.

- Jack gets the room exception, if he wants more then we can afford to lose him and play Kawhi 10min/game more. He will be 35 next summer, somebody might offer him more but he's not so important to us that we have to resign him imo.

There is a lot of quality in 2013 free agency for a team looking for a big man. Looking past the all stars of Howard, Bynum and Josh Smith, theres West, Jefferson, Millsap, Kaman, Brand, all of whom could really help us and see an end to Bonner/Blair for good and extend Timmys career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neal has a cap hold of only $1m. Keep him to the end of free agency and give him something like $3.5 if we want to keep him.

I'm not sure if you read what I wrote, so I'll cliff it. It is quite long.

Assuming $62m salary cap:

- We have $15m to sign Manu and a free agent. Hopefully Manu would be willing to take MLE money, around $5m, but if he took $7m that would still give us $8m for a free agent. We could get more by trading away Mills/Joseph or restructure Diaws contract to bump that up a couple million.

- At this point we will be up against the cap, so we resign Splitter and Neal using their bird rights.

- Jack gets the room exception, if he wants more then we can afford to lose him and play Kawhi 10min/game more. He will be 35 next summer, somebody might offer him more but he's not so important to us that we have to resign him imo.

There is a lot of quality in 2013 free agency for a team looking for a big man. Looking past the all stars of Howard, Bynum and Josh Smith, theres West, Jefferson, Millsap, Kaman, Brand, all of whom could really help us and see an end to Bonner/Blair for good and extend Timmys career.
    When talking about being under that cap, you always have to add $5-7 Million (it's only $5 Million for the Spurs this year, unless they get a trade exception from somewhere) to the salaries, as cap room only exists if a team is under the cap by more than this about at any point.

The Spurs can only keep a small hold on Splitter if he agrees to a contract and isn't swayed by potentially bigger offers from other teams (which you mentioned). As he is better than most other players the Spurs could potentially get, it makes sense to just use $8 Million to guarantee keeping him, in my opinion.

If they sign Manu for $7 Million (which I think is appropriately below his market value) extend a qualifying offer of Neal and keep their first-rounder (which I'd assume, seeing as they tend not to miss two years in a row), the Spurs only have about $5 Million to spend on a free agent, and they'd have to hope Jack takes the room exception. If they really want to keep Neal (which I doubt) and have to sign him early, then the total can fall to less than that, and they'd have an even smaller contract to offer.

I'd rather them just say "to with cap room," trade Jack this year for good players on long-term contracts, sign Splitter, Manu and Neal for whatever they want and still have a $5 Million contract they can offer to free agents. If you add in sign-and-trade deals, the Spurs may be able to get another $8 Million player in July or a good $5 Million player for Bonner's contract on draft night.

I understand they can get more cap room by jumping through certain hoops, but I don't think it's worth it when there are plenty of alternatives to just signing a player outright.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the did I quote myself?
    Last edited by Chinook; 01-11-2013 at 02:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know he's getting a luke warm reception on ST, but has anyone heard any news concerning Donte Greene's tryouts this past week?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know he's getting a luke warm reception on ST, but has anyone heard any news concerning Donte Greene's tryouts this past week?
    If the Baynes rumors are true, that fills the 15th and final roster spot. No room for Greene unless the Spurs make a trade (sending out more players than they take back of course) or cut someone (no real candidates for that).

Thread Information