Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll be fighting to keep religion out of schools.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Intelligent Design <> religious Creationism

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, he said he was the Son of God, so evidently you don't believe him.

I understand Christians, I understand atheists, I understand agnostics. This is the position everyone takes that I don't understand. You're calling him a fraud and then turning around and saying you "believe very strongly in his teachings". Which is it? If the guy's a nutcase lying about being the Son of God, why believe the rest of what he said? If the rest of his teaching was so powerful, how can you say he wasn't the Son of God? This seems to be a position held by people who don't understand what they believe.
    This is very simply explained. For some of us, its not an all or nothing situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For some you are with them, or against them.

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Intelligent Design <> religious Creationism"

They have the same goal: to present their beliefs as The Single, Universal Truth, to question, and to oppose the huge amount of evidence and the explanatory/predictive power of evolutionary theory.

Once ID is accepted in schools, the door will be open for RC, paganism, witchcraft, Buffy Vampirism, zoroasterism, astrology, and any other half-baked that those groups "believe" must be presented in schools as The Truth.

beliefs <> science

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Intelligent Design does not try to go against Evolution. It incorporates evolution.

That being said, there is no evidence for ID, and I don't see a reason it should be included in the courses based on that alone.

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe in the Golden Rule.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    n/m ... I read that wrong.

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Intelligent Design does not try to go against Evolution. It incorporates evolution."

http://www.intelligentdesignnetwork.org/

"The theory of intelligent design (ID) holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause rather than an undirected process such as natural selection. ID is thus a scientific disagreement with the core claim of evolutionary theory that the apparent design of living systems is an illusion."

that "scientific disagreement" does very much go against the theory of biological evolution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really. It incorporates evolution. It says that evolution wasn't random chance, but that it was designed, but it doesn't go against it.

Its like saying if I drop the ball from here it will land here. That statment doesn't imply gravity doesn't exsist, but that the drop was planned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    intellligent design = "and God planned everything to happen this way, so there."
    Exactly, but I don't know how that goes against evolution. If the current situation had been planned to play out the way it has, wouldn't evolution still have occured?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Intelligent Design is Philosophy. If your High School has a Philosophy elective and they teach ID, so be it. It doesn't belong in Science Class any more than a study of Early Roman History belongs in Algebra.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My Philosophy is that religion doesn't belong in schools but the study of religion is okay.

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "comparative religion", religion from various academic angles, history of world religion(s), the role of religion in world history, etc, is fine, but mostly those are mostly college subjects.

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'and God planned everything "

... is a belief in super-natural phenomenon, is usually a religious belief, and with attendant political stance by the believer that his God and his religion are the best, even th only, or at very least better than everybody else's.

... is not science, is not philosophy.

Texas A&M >> t.u. TexasAggie2005's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is very simply explained. For some of us, its not an all or nothing situation.
    But if you get to pick and choose what you want to believe out of what he said, how useful can it be? You might as well make up your own "guide". Not to mention that everything Jesus taught was derived from the idea that he was the Son of God. All of his teachings were based off that underlying principle. Besides, if the writers of the Bible lied about Jesus, maybe they made the rest of it up too.

This just seems to be a position people take to try to appease Christians without actually having to agree with them. If I didn't believe Jesus was the Son of God, I definitely wouldn't live my life by what he said. Then he'd be just another man, and thus fallible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But if you get to pick and choose what you want to believe out of what he said, how useful can it be? You might as well make up your own "guide". Not to mention that everything Jesus taught was derived from the idea that he was the Son of God. All of his teachings were based off that underlying principle. Besides, if the writers of the Bible lied about Jesus, maybe they made the rest of it up too.

This just seems to be a position people take to try to appease Christians without actually having to agree with them. If I didn't believe Jesus was the Son of God, I definitely wouldn't live my life by what he said. Then he'd be just another man, and thus fallible.
    Does the bible have every word uttered by Jesus Christ?

If a crazy man on the street tells me that he is the son of god, but tells mis mantra which is one I believe in, does that mean I can't believe in his mantra?

Yeah, I just compared Jesus to a crazy man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Christ were infallible, Judas never would have made the cut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does the bible have every word uttered by Jesus Christ?

If a crazy man on the street tells me that he is the son of god, but tells mis mantra which is one I believe in, does that mean I can't believe in his mantra?

Yeah, I just compared Jesus to a crazy man.
    What difference does it make if it has every word he spoke? I don't see how that relates to the discussion at hand.

If his mantra is based on being God, it's kind of strange to believe his teachings without believing him. And in your example the crazy man is articulating something you already believe in. Thus his "mantra" is simply an expression of something you already think. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that you see the Bible as something that can teach you and help you understand new things. Two totally unrelated situations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And he would never have gotten the crap kicked out of him. And he never would have died. Right? Wrong. Judas was there for a reason, Jesus knew he would be betrayed before Judas ever sold him out (the Last Supper). According to the Bible, it was all part of God's plan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way I see it is that Judas was part of the plan (not very fair to Judas, though).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Intelligent Design is Philosophy. If your High School has a Philosophy elective and they teach ID, so be it. It doesn't belong in Science Class any more than a study of Early Roman History belongs in Algebra.
    Bingo.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gene sequencing isn't a philosophy nor are the nano pumps and valves and engines of the cell; and, they aren't explained by natural selection or evolution. There are some fairly level-headed scientists out there that are seeing things not available to, or explained by, Darwin and they're wondering how the heck it happened. Non-theistic Intelligent Design is a working theory...not a philosophy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gene sequencing isn't a philosophy nor are the nano pumps and valves and engines of the cell; and, they aren't explained by natural selection or evolution. There are some fairly level-headed scientists out there that are seeing things not available to, or explained by, Darwin and they're wondering how the heck it happened. Non-theistic Intelligent Design is a working theory...not a philosophy.

Flat earth is a "working theory" in that there is evidence of it "see the earth looks flat, so how can you say it is round?"

If all one does is look at the horizon, one might agree, but the weight of evidence points to a better theory, that the earth is more of a semi-flattened sphere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you piled up all the evidence for this "working theory" and stacked it up against the evidence that supports random evolution over billions of years, it would look like a mouse trying to topple an elephant.

The weight of evidence leads a reasonable person to conclude that the process of random evolution over billions of years has led to the current forms of life on our planet.

"Intelligent design" is yet another code-word used by people who want to shove the version of the bible they agree with down everybody elses throat. To pretend anything else is less than intellectually honest.

Thread Information