Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of his strongest attributes. Jeb is the obvious choice of the GOP establishment, like Romney and McCain before him.

He's not in anyone's financial pocket yet.
    Grover Norquist, oil and gas, lawyers, financial sector: https://www.opensecrets.org/politici...85#fundraising

Basically, I pick a long shot, since it never gets to Texas anyways. I wouldn't be upset with Scott Walker. I could live with Paul, Perry, or Huckabee.

What about you?
    I'd hate voting for any of those jerks. I don't think any of them would be good presidents.

I'll probably throw my vote away on some principled non-en y, like I usually do. Tempted as I was to vote against Obama, in 2012 I found none to my liking and did not vote for president.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can defend his views and articulately argue them.
    That's one way to put it. Andrew Ferguson described him this way in the Weekly Standard:

He paused, lost for a moment in thought. “You know,” he said, ing his head, “I’m convinced that the real divide in American politics isn’t between Republican and Democrat—it’s between the people and the entrenched politicians in Washington, D.C.”

It sounded like an applause line to me. And so, coming from nowhere, did a call to abolish the IRS. He went on in this mode for a while, until, leaning back on a couch in his office with his press secretary a few feet away tapping her BlackBerry, he began to sound as if he was giving a stump speech, and then I realized: He was giving a stump speech. Line after line I had heard him say on C-SPAN or YouTube. He told me the life story of his father, a Cuban immigrant, in precisely the same words he had used in the convention speech. He launched into a tribute to Ronald Reagan that I had first heard last year in his campaign for the Senate. The Margaret Thatcher quote sounded familiar, too.

And it sounded even more familiar a few hours later when Cruz spoke before a meeting of the Kingwood Tea Party, north of Houston. His press secretary and I didn’t applaud in his office when he told us about the real divide in American politics, but they went wild in Kingwood. They nodded knowingly when he talked about what focused the minds of politicians. I paged through my interview notes to find something he might have told me that he wasn’t saying to the Tea Partiers right then, in nearly identical language. I failed.

I’m not complaining. Professional public speakers have no choice but to recycle material. And for the hack, hearing a politician say the same thing multiple times makes note-taking vastly easier. “Disciplined” is a term of art in politics, and generally a compliment. It describes a stubborn, admirable, and often necessary insistence on the part of a politician on talking about only what he wants to talk about, in terms of his choosing. I think Cruz senses that his fluency seems slightly artificial, a little too pat, since he takes care to alter his cadence and punctuate it with “you knows” and “let me tell yas” and those thoughtful pauses that allow him to glance reflectively off to the side and bite his lower lip, before rousing himself to deliver a sentence he has delivered several hundred times.

It doesn’t stop, though. Later we sat together in the back seat of a car driving to another speech. Cruz spoke in personal ways about going to his alma mater, Princeton, but the word clumps from the speeches, the set pieces that he arranges in one sequence or another and seldom departs from, were always within reach. He spoke of his father again. He mentioned the great divide in America, again, and was quoting Margaret Thatcher when I realized he was giving a speech again, except this time at close quarters, only a few feet away, in the back seat of a car. I made a quick calculation of how many vertebrae I would damage if I slipped the lock, opened the door, and did a tuck and roll onto the passing pavement. The answer was: too many. So I contented myself with looking out the window at the Houston exurbs until the speech wound down and I could ask another question, after which the speech resumed and I watched the endless series of tire stores and taco stands and Jiffy Lubes roll by.
    In normal life a human being who was as disciplined as Cruz would seem merely creepy. But of course Cruz doesn’t lead a normal life, and nobody, not his detractors or his fans, would have it any other way.

"He was always a good talker,” his mother Eleanor Darragh told me not long ago
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/articl...24.html?page=3

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of his strongest attributes. Jeb is the obvious choice of the GOP establishment, like Romney and McCain before him.

Grover Norquist, oil and gas, lawyers, financial sector: https://www.opensecrets.org/politici...85#fundraising

I'd hate voting for any of those jerks. I don't think any of them would be good presidents.

I'll probably throw my vote away on some principled non-en y, like I usually do. Tempted as I was to vote against Obama, in 2012 I found none to my liking and did not vote for president.
    Oh I'm not silly enough to think he's broke. I have no idea how but I've been getting his texts for years for money.

Do you mean a third party? Would you vote for Warren if she ran?

Did you read that article a week or two ago about how Jeb is going around getting all the big donors to back him? He basically stole all of Perry's guys in Texas.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I'm not silly enough to think he's broke. I have no idea how but I've been getting his texts for years for money.

Do you mean a third party? Would you vote for Warren if she ran?

Did you read that article a week or two ago about how Jeb is going around getting all the big donors to back him? He basically stole all of Perry's guys in Texas.
    Goodhair is unelectable nationally, so why would donors piss their money away on him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you vote for Warren if she ran?
    I like some of the things Warren stands for, but I'm very far away from being convinced to vote for her. I don't think she'll run against HRC.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cruz is hilariously unelectable. He's only slightly less desirable to Democrats as an opponent than Donald Trump. He'd have to base his entire campaign on the politics of iden y. I thought Republicans didn't like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea how but I've been getting his texts for years for money.
    I'd hold that against somebody, but each to his own...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even in Texas, Republicans have warmed to Walker at the expense of Cruz. After trailing Cruz by 25 points among Texas Republicans, Walker now is within a point, according to one recent survey.

Cruz, a champion debater at Princeton University, could shine when Republicans begin monthly debates in August.

Cruz has a lot of goodwill among conservatives. A Quinnipiac University Iowa poll last month found 46 percent of Republicans viewed him favorably and 19 percent unfavorably. And two-thirds of tea party supporters and 55 percent of white evangelicals see him favorably.

Bush is seen unfavorably by 40 percent.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/t...e+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2. He can defend his views and articulately argue them. This is the biggest thing for me. As a conservative, you have to be able to defend every part of your views against the MSM. Since perception is reality If you cannot communicate well you can't push any views.
    I actually think the exact opposite. He's a terrible speaker, which is why I don't see him getting very far.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually think the exact opposite. He's a terrible speaker, which is why I don't see him getting very far.
    he speaks rhetoric, demagoguery, pure bull , but tea baggers slurp it down. Krazy Kruz is smart, but he's ing evil smart.

dubya was laughable "speaker", a youtube mega-hit! I don't think Repugs, esp tea baggers, GAF about speaking ability, just social issues. So if anyone can mumble out the right hot buttons, they're ok with the right-wing rabble, Christian Taleban, gun fellators, old white men

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This isn't about his views of it. But he was able to articulate his reasoning and not apologize. That's pretty rare with "conservatives".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he speaks rhetoric, demagoguery, pure bull
    Pot, meet kettle

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It really is...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't about his views of it. But he was able to articulate his reasoning and not apologize. That's pretty rare with "conservatives".
    he certainly did a good job on hitting all the soundbites: Reagan, flat-tax, abolish IRS, cons utionalist, our ally Israel, communism...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    your butthurt is showing, druggie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's his knee and he needs the meds. too bad there's no medicine that cures you being an asshole.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Five Conspiracy Theories That Ted Cruz Actually Believes

George Soros leads a global conspiracy to abolish the game of golf.

Communists infiltrated Harvard Law School.

Islamic law threatens the United States.

Obama wanted immigration reform to fail so he can campaign on it in 2016.

George W. Bush led an assault on Texas’ “sovereignty.”

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...ally-believes/

Thanks, Texas! If you had any ing brains, you would be embarrassed, ashamed of this stain you sent to the Senate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone watch Cruz this morning? i was trapped in the hyperbaric chamber when he came on. Got to hand it to the guy...he is pretty heavy handed on the god and religion stuff but mother er can sure give a rousing speech. He spoke for 45 minutes without notes or a teleprompter. VERY impressive delivery.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Krazy Kruz is silver-throated, Christian supremacist demagogue.

anti-woman, LGBT-hating, anti-science, anti-knowledge, he's ing evil. Figures he'd announced a Christian supremacist fake college like Falwell's Liberty.

From being enraptured by his delivery, what would say his government policies would be? Or is "delivery" all you need to vote for him?
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 03-23-2015 at 01:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 specific policy goals were abolish obamacare, abolish common core, flat tax, and abolish the IRS.

I give him 0% chance of accomplishing any of them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 specific policy goals were abolish obamacare, abolish common core, flat tax, and abolish the IRS.

I give him 0% chance of accomplishing any of them.
    All he will accomplish is masturbating his ego while pocketing $10Ms in campaign loot.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He spoke for 45 minutes without notes or a teleprompter. VERY impressive delivery.
    What's the big deal about teleprompters anyway? It's not like Cruz was giving an extemporaneous speech. It was painstakingly prepared and ghostwritten just like every other political speech.

All this means is he took more time to memorize. That's actually less natural than giving a speech with a teleprompter reminding you what to say. This is a virtue? Business leaders, church leaders and all varieties of public speakers use prompters and notes when giving speeches. It wasn't a bad thing until it became a lazy partisan talking point on a slow news day.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, lots of President, other use teleprompters. Obama trashed for using teleprompter was a Repug/Fox fabricated outrage. ing dubya couldn't speak English

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, at TedCruz.com for past few hours... Surprised they haven't taken the site down.

Thread Information