Page 271 of 278 FirstFirst ... 171221261267268269270271272273274275 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,775 of 6947
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You're missing one more 5 star there...
    During the Mack Brown era Texas had over 20 5-star recruits, but only two had a real transcendent effect on the program. Vince and Derrick Johnson. Every year Rivals lists between 25 and 30 5-star recruits and in every draft only about 35% of them get drafted.

Chances are that of the 3 you aggsy have, only one is going to get drafted.

What you really should be looking at is how many guys you have that are ranked 5.7 in the rivals rankings. That's the real sweet spot. I'd take a whole class of those kids vs the 4 and 5 stars everyone is fawning over. These are the guys that are coming into the program, with the talent of a 4-star but with a chip on their shoulder. Don't get me wrong I expect us to get 4 and 5 star talent because every once in a while you will get a Vince Young, but I love getting lots of those 5.7 guys because they will be the guys that build your program into a 11 win team.

With that said welcome to the 40 to :

Du'Vonta Lampkin
    Deandre McNeal
    Ryan Newsome
    Gilbert Johnson
    Cameron Townsend
    Quincy Vasser

4-star talent, 3-star ranking, 5-star chip on their shoulder.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Considering Texas and A&M both limped to pathetic endings to season and both teams failed to address all their needs with recruiting classes, their is waaayyy too much smack talk going on. Let's not forget that Texas had like 100+ ranked offense and A&M had like 100+ ranked defense. Neither team is going to be blowing up the polls next year unless Ags can score 60+ per game or Texas can hold teams to under 7 ppg.
    I think Texas did a great job of addressing every position.

OL - Texas signed 3 guys I'm excited about. my favorite being Major who if he gets in is probably a 4-star talent.

TE - Texas got one of the top TE in the country a guy that has the body to play TE on the NFL level.

RB - 4 running backs including back that some think was the best in Texas. Chances are one will be starter within 2 years.

WR - Texas got 3 WRs including 2 slot guys which is what they needed more than anything.

QB - Texas got 2 guys, both are long term projects but outside of Stidham there wasn't a single guy that didn't come with lots of questions. I would have loved to keep Gentry but even he wasn't going to come in and challenge for a starting spot.

DE - Texas got two starter quality DE and possibly a third if we spin down a linebacker which they might do to Hager.

DT - Needed one would have been nice to get two, but we got a good one, as long as he gets into school I expect him to be pretty good. No matter, it wasn't a huge need position that we can get away with what we got.

LB - Grand slam, probably one of the top 4 classes of any school

DB - Again a grand slam, 6 guys and all of them are very highly rated. Can't ask for more than that.

The only real question is will Kai Locksley be a QB that can be groomed as a starter, if yes, then the class is a home run.

My Team
    TAMU-CC Islanders
    Post Count
    I think Texas did a great job of addressing every position.

OL - Texas signed 3 guys I'm excited about. my favorite being Major who if he gets in is probably a 4-star talent.

TE - Texas got one of the top TE in the country a guy that has the body to play TE on the NFL level.

RB - 4 running backs including back that some think was the best in Texas. Chances are one will be starter within 2 years.

WR - Texas got 3 WRs including 2 slot guys which is what they needed more than anything.

QB - Texas got 2 guys, both are long term projects but outside of Stidham there wasn't a single guy that didn't come with lots of questions. I would have loved to keep Gentry but even he wasn't going to come in and challenge for a starting spot.

DE - Texas got two starter quality DE and possibly a third if we spin down a linebacker which they might do to Hager.

DT - Needed one would have been nice to get two, but we got a good one, as long as he gets into school I expect him to be pretty good. No matter, it wasn't a huge need position that we can get away with what we got.

LB - Grand slam, probably one of the top 4 classes of any school

DB - Again a grand slam, 6 guys and all of them are very highly rated. Can't ask for more than that.

The only real question is will Kai Locksley be a QB that can be groomed as a starter, if yes, then the class is a home run.
    Yeah I am disappointed that we only got on DT. I wanted 2 maybe 3.

I am so glad we got so many OL and DBs. We need the depth.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    see u in 2016 thread during junior days

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    see u in 2016 thread during junior days
    I'll get it started tomorrow or Friday.

Post Count
    Dat 2002 Class.... six 5* recruits. WOW

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You guys are idiots if you're trying to convince each about having a better recruiting class. Here is the thing, Aggies are happy with their class and Longhorns are happy with their class. Sounds like both schools won this year.

Can't wait to see how this one plays out.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    Last edited by playblair; 02-05-2015 at 05:18 AM.

Post Count
    After watching Newsome's rough initial announcement, I can't believe UCLA was confident he would stick with that pick. UCLA ended up killing it though in recruiting overall.

Plus, you signed four more players then A&M did due to all the attrition yall have been experiencing. Of course that's going to give you a boost. Both are good classes. Personally, I would choose the class with the three five stars Murray, Mack and Kirk headlining it.
    Both classes are good and are of sorts that many schools would die to have. I always look at ESPN for recruiting "rankings" since we all have our source. According to the ESPN300 Texas signed 14 players listed and Aggies signed 11 that is enough confirmation to me that we are regaining our footing. Now if we can just translate that to wins on the field is yet to be known but I'd like to think we're on track.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Both classes are good and are of sorts that many schools would die to have. I always look at ESPN for recruiting "rankings" since we all have our source. According to the ESPN300 Texas signed 14 players listed and Aggies signed 11 that is enough confirmation to me that we are regaining our footing. Now if we can just translate that to wins on the field is yet to be known but I'd like to think we're on track.
    Certainly. Murray was the big one that we held onto because that's what Texas needs the most. Somehow you guys got another WR to come and be the savior at QB. Call me skeptical on this upcoming experiment.

south central hood rat the chronic's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Certainly. Murray was the big one that we held onto because that's what Texas needs the most. Somehow you guys got another WR to come and be the savior at QB. Call me skeptical on this upcoming experiment.

"If" Locksley has the work ethic he can compete to be a starting QB with 1-2 years of development - watch his film, it's not like RSJ being QB at Sealy where it is just best athlete at QB. The problem is Texas needs a guy that can compete for starting job as true frosh and the prospect that can come in at QB in year one and contribute like Murray or Allen is very rare. No scenario do I see Locksley being ready to step in and play on day 1 like Murray could.

Will be interesting to watch A&M QB situation if Murray passes on MLB as Allen looked good at end of year and as good as Murray is it will be hard to pass a guy like that with a year head start and two spring sessions under their belt. I agree with some of the A&M posters I just don't see him passing Allen as good of a player as he is it is just too much of a compe ive disadvantage and Allen is no slouch.

Post Count
    There really was only 1 qb available who could have come in to UT and made an instant impact and that was murray..Kai is probably gonna redshirt and in my opinion an option 2 yrs from now. I have a hard time believing Murray well pass up MLB if he is indeed drafted in the 1st rd (which he is projected to do so).

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    "If" Locksley has the work ethic he can compete to be a starting QB with 1-2 years of development - watch his film, it's not like RSJ being QB at Sealy where it is just best athlete at QB. The problem is Texas needs a guy that can compete for starting job as true frosh and the prospect that can come in at QB in year one and contribute like Murray or Allen is very rare. No scenario do I see Locksley being ready to step in and play on day 1 like Murray could.

Will be interesting to watch A&M QB situation if Murray passes on MLB as Allen looked good at end of year and as good as Murray is it will be hard to pass a guy like that with a year head start and two spring sessions under their belt. I agree with some of the A&M posters I just don't see him passing Allen as good of a player as he is it is just too much of a compe ive disadvantage and Allen is no slouch.
    There really was only 1 qb available who could have come in to UT and made an instant impact and that was murray..Kai is probably gonna redshirt and in my opinion an option 2 yrs from now. I have a hard time believing Murray well pass up MLB if he is indeed drafted in the 1st rd (which he is projected to do so).
    I think the point DT was making is something that has already been mentioned in this thread...that keeping Murray was more about keeping a player of need away from Texas less about whether or not he will ever see the field. It's also plays into recruiting advantage, as chronic mentioned a few posts ago. Believe me, Sumlin won't care a bit if Murray heads to the majors if it means he's not running onto the field in burnt orange on opening day.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Depends who you ask about where he's projected to go. I've seen 2nd round a few places. Definitely a concern but I think he ends up in college station.

Post Count
    Depends who you ask about where he's projected to go. I've seen 2nd round a few places. Definitely a concern but I think he ends up in college station.
    Good article on the matter...http://usatodayhss.com/2015/texas-am...s-its-baseball

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    Aggy's gonna be fcked once Strong starts winning and now has time to recruit, tbh....
    Called it on page 1... my takes are spot-on as usual.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Your unbiased takes are greatly appreciated here.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You do realize Texas was saying the exact thing about Manziel right?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    You do realize Texas was saying the exact thing about Manziel right?
    Locksley had 6 passing touchdowns and 14 rushing touchdowns his senior year in high school. Locksley passed for a total of 950 yards.

Manziel passed for 3,559 yards with 44 passing touchdowns and 5 interceptions his senior year in HS. He also ran for 1,695 yards for 30 touchdowns putting him at 74 total touchdowns his senior year.

I would say there is a little bit of a difference there.

Now Locksley is Manziel . Locksley is a fine athlete as I have said but he isn't a QB. Good luck with that.

Post Count
    Locksley had 6 passing touchdowns and 14 rushing touchdowns his senior year in high school. Locksley passed for a total of 950 yards.

Manziel passed for 3,559 yards with 44 passing touchdowns and 5 interceptions his senior year in HS. He also ran for 1,695 yards for 30 touchdowns putting him at 74 total touchdowns his senior year.

I would say there is a little bit of a difference there.

Now Locksley is Manziel . Locksley is a fine athlete as I have said but he isn't a QB. Good luck with that.
    Agree with the Manziel comparison, really no comparison between the two. But the kid made the Under Armour All Amreican Game as a Wr even though he played QB. To say he is a "fine" athlete would be selling him short. The kid is an Elite Athlete and well probably excell at any position he puts time into. If he plays QB and is given another 1-2 yrs to focus on the QB position, I see no reason he could not be an above average dual threat QB and probably has a higher ceiling than most who were recruited ahead of him.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Coach Rumph to Florida. Their guy from the Raiders fell through:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2...ch-chris-rumph

Post Count

That sucks...Looking forward to list of possible replacements.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Wasn't Thayer the one who wrote a story a few years ago about Oklahoma State and SI had to apologize to OSU afterwards because it wasn't true?

Omenihu is saying the report is untrue, and he's chilling because he knows the truth.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Sucks indeed. Texas will need a pretty big hire to replace him.

Thread Information