Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah holder of one of the most stupid records in the history of baseball. A guy that played about eight years too long because all he cared about was passing Cobb.
    Picking & choosing players who chase records is weak. When you start down that track like "we" (Media beating us mercilessly to the finish line) did when Maris approached Ruth you cross a line. You can't come back afterward.

And we haven't.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Yeah holder of one of the most stupid records in the history of baseball. A guy that played about eight years too long because all he cared about was passing Cobb.
    Cal Ripken's consecutive-games record is stupider, imo. Basically the sports equivalent of the good attendance award.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    2 years ago he hit .316..
    And I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit around or over .300 again this season. Doesn't mean he isn't done. He's essentially a negative player for the Yankees in the field, probably several more seasons than the last 2-3. And while he has always been a good contact hitter, much of his career success is a product of playing on a bunch of Yankee teams with loaded line-ups. Even in homerun friendly home ballparks like Yankees Stadiums 1 & 2, he's never been much of a power hitter. Imagine if he didn't play half his games and another few dozen in other hitter friendly AL East parks. He's basically a slap singles hitter and an occasional doubles guy with poor defense and very limited power. Doesn't provide enough power to be a DH and that's what he's best suited for now, for several years now.

Still a HOF player and he's had great career moments. But he's been done for a while. Hitting .300 doesn't mean he's not done. Hitting a dozen or so HRs in Yankees Stadium and in the AL East is not impressive. With all the injuries the Yankees had last year, if Jeter was healthy, I don't think his bat would have made much of a difference. He's not that type of impact guy anymore, not without the big power hitters driving him in. He's a winner and for much of his earlier career, he was a clutch performer. He also has carried himself really well on and off the field. He deserves praise for all those things as he can stroll straight to Cooperstown after his last game. And just my opinion, but if he was never a Yankee, he'd be viewed more similarly to a guy like Michael Young than a first ballot HOFer.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ^Even a blind squirrel throws an acorn into the ocean once in a blue moon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How are the Yankees getting ARod off the books?
    Not guaranteed, but a year without competing at the highest level possible will probably end his career; at least the Yankees are hoping so, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad, sad day for baseball. A legend and one of the GOAT SS's
    I'm a Yankees fan and even I wouldn't call him one of the best SSs of all time. lol That's just ridiculous.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Sad, sad day for baseball. A legend and one of the GOAT SS's
    One of the GOAT SS's? Do you ever stop being a blind homer? Jeter was atrocious defensively, and that's half the game....

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Not guaranteed, but a year without competing at the highest level possible will probably end his career; at least the Yankees are hoping so, tbh.
    It's not ending his career, he's fielding balls at shortstop as we bicker, and Cashman yesterday acknowledged ARod will be back.

Plus, Rodriguez is bitter enough over this whole thing to never ever do Yanks a favor.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    One of the GOAT SS's? Do you ever stop being a blind homer? Jeter was atrocious defensively, and that's half the game....
    Atrocious is putting it a little strongly, don't you think? Granted Jeter had limited range but he had a great arm and at least made the plays he was supposed to make, IIRC. He wasn't Omar Vizquel out there, but he wasn't Julio Franco, either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit around or over .300 again this season. Doesn't mean he isn't done. He's essentially a negative player for the Yankees in the field, probably several more seasons than the last 2-3. And while he has always been a good contact hitter, much of his career success is a product of playing on a bunch of Yankee teams with loaded line-ups. Even in homerun friendly home ballparks like Yankees Stadiums 1 & 2, he's never been much of a power hitter. Imagine if he didn't play half his games and another few dozen in other hitter friendly AL East parks. He's basically a slap singles hitter and an occasional doubles guy with poor defense and very limited power. Doesn't provide enough power to be a DH and that's what he's best suited for now, for several years now.
    Power hitters in MLB are not what they used to be. For years idiots talked about how Jeter did not stack up to the powers hitters of his era.. Turns out all those guys were cheaters and their stats massively inflated. Back in 2003 everyone thought A-Rod was the greatest SS of all time now he is a punch line on late night TV shows. The biggest thing I respect about Jeter is his longevity because he truly outlasted them all in his era. I remember when people said that Nomar was a far better player and before you knew it he was ousted from Boston and barely getting on the field with the Dodgers. Jeter stayed so steady year after year almost always hitting .300 with 200 hits and 100 runs scored and being a great leader. 2009 at age 35 he had an amazing postseason to win ring number 5. And almost all great players played with other great players especially if you are a great winner. You don't take Gehrig down a peg because he played with Babe Ruth. BTW Jeters defensive struggles are and always have been overrated. Please don't give me a bunch of fancy equations the nerds use to decide if you can play SS or not like they are computing data to orbit the moon. When people were ripping on his D the Yanks were winning rings and when he was winning GG's the nerds all claimed it was underserved. You can hate on an athlete for anything if you try hard enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your assessment that he is a bad SS does not line up with the facts. He won 5 rings playing SS never costing them a ring because of ty D in fact his most famous play ever basically won them a playoff series against Oakland. How many SS would give up their bodies to get bloodied into the stands while playing a reg season game like Jeter did with the Red Sox in 2004? Dude was fearless.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Your assessment that he is a bad SS does not line up with the facts. He won 5 rings playing SS never costing them a ring because of ty D in fact his most famous play ever basically won them a playoff series against Oakland. How many SS would give up their bodies to get bloodied into the stands while playing a reg season game like Jeter did with the Red Sox in 2004? Dude was fearless.
    Ring count and one-play sample sizes... you sound like a Kirbystan

Advanced metrics show that Jeter is not a good defender.... he cost his team more runs through his ty defense than any other player in history, and his UZR and TZ were always well below league average, showing his utter lack of range....

Good hitter (although not a pure power hitter), bad defender, severely overrated because of the franchise he played for, ring count, and select "clutch moments" during his career, end of story... definitely not one of the greatest shortstops of all time
    Last edited by Clipper Nation; 02-13-2014 at 08:19 PM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    BTW Jeters defensive struggles are and always have been overrated. Please don't give me a bunch of fancy equations the nerds use to decide if you can play SS or not like they are computing data to orbit the moon. When people were ripping on his D the Yanks were winning rings and when he was winning GG's the nerds all claimed it was underserved.
    Translation: "Jeter wasn't bad at defense because ring count and I said so... please don't give me the proof that he was actually terrible at defense!"

By the way, if we're going to cherry-pick individual plays, I seem to recall a World Series-winning bloop single going right over a certain shortstop's head not too long ago
    Last edited by Clipper Nation; 02-13-2014 at 08:17 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    definitely not one of the greatest shortstops of all time
    Honus Wagner is widely regarded as the greatest all-around SS in MLB history. He retired almost 100 years ago.

If Jeter is not among the greatest of all time at his position, you should have no problem listing all the shortstops of the last century that were better all around players at the position than Jeter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Translation: "Jeter wasn't bad at defense because ring count and I said so... please don't give me the proof that he was actually terrible at defense!"
    As opposed to you ignoring his rings and GG's by yanking out your calculator and having a fit..

By the way, if we're going to cherry-pick individual plays, I seem to recall a World Series-winning bloop single going right over a certain shortstop's head not too long ago
    You just went full on mother ing re on that one..

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I vote best SS of all time Cal Ripken Jr.

this is the top 10 SS of what the Bleacher Report thinks.......

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...me-round-three

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO @ Jeter being above Banks and Oz

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    To Cal's credit he knew when he lost a step, and moved to 3B

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah ok I admit, they have lot of fat people standing around for hours and spitting (and needing steroids to do all that )

Oh wait that's not soccer, that's baseball

Believe.
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Ring count and one-play sample sizes... you sound like a Kirbystan

Advanced metrics show that Jeter is not a good defender.... he cost his team more runs through his ty defense than any other player in history, and his UZR and TZ were always well below league average, showing his utter lack of range....

Good hitter (although not a pure power hitter), bad defender, severely overrated because of the franchise he played for, ring count, and select "clutch moments" during his career, end of story... definitely not one of the greatest shortstops of all time
    Is Mariano Rivera overrated by your standards as well?

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derick is a HOF worthy in the hot women dating department. The list is long and flaming.
    My favorite is Jessica Biel.........

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar..._head_15783517

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To Cal's credit he knew when he lost a step, and moved to 3B
    Never easy for Derek to consider it with A-Roid permanently parked over there..

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Power hitters in MLB are not what they used to be. For years idiots talked about how Jeter did not stack up to the powers hitters of his era.. Turns out all those guys were cheaters and their stats massively inflated. Back in 2003 everyone thought A-Rod was the greatest SS of all time now he is a punch line on late night TV shows. The biggest thing I respect about Jeter is his longevity because he truly outlasted them all in his era. I remember when people said that Nomar was a far better player and before you knew it he was ousted from Boston and barely getting on the field with the Dodgers. Jeter stayed so steady year after year almost always hitting .300 with 200 hits and 100 runs scored and being a great leader. 2009 at age 35 he had an amazing postseason to win ring number 5. And almost all great players played with other great players especially if you are a great winner. You don't take Gehrig down a peg because he played with Babe Ruth. BTW Jeters defensive struggles are and always have been overrated. Please don't give me a bunch of fancy equations the nerds use to decide if you can play SS or not like they are computing data to orbit the moon. When people were ripping on his D the Yanks were winning rings and when he was winning GG's the nerds all claimed it was underserved. You can hate on an athlete for anything if you try hard enough.
    Nice soliloquy.

But your steroid soapbaox doesn't really have anything to do with Jeter being done the last couple seasons. It doesn't matter what A-Rod was or how short Nomar's peak was. Jeter should have been done a few years ago. In fact, he probably should have retired after the 2009 World Series you praise him for. Jeter's defensive struggles aren't overrated. In fact his earlier defensive praise is what was probably overrated because of one play, the running turnaround jump throw that a lot of shortstops now do. Jeter hasn't been a good defensive shortstop in probably 6-7 seasons, maybe more. And if you want to discredit advanced stats, go right ahead. I'm not a saber geek. My opinion about Jeter's fielding is from watching him play, not from looking at as you put it "fancy equations."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice soliloquy.

But your steroid soapbaox doesn't really have anything to do with Jeter being done the last couple seasons. It doesn't matter what A-Rod was or how short Nomar's peak was. Jeter should have been done a few years ago. In fact, he probably should have retired after the 2009 World Series you praise him for. Jeter's defensive struggles aren't overrated. In fact his earlier defensive praise is what was probably overrated because of one play, the running turnaround jump throw that a lot of shortstops now do. Jeter hasn't been a good defensive shortstop in probably 6-7 seasons, maybe more. And if you want to discredit advanced stats, go right ahead. I'm not a saber geek. My opinion about Jeter's fielding is from watching him play, not from looking at as you put it "fancy equations."
    All MLB players that hit .316 should take a hard look at their defensive numbers because clearly they can't play the game anymore. The internet dweebs have spoken.. And how often did you watch him play? I lived in NY and watched his whole career. Trust me there was never a raging debate in the media or papers about Jeter's D costing them runs because all the team did was win and he was at the center of the winning his whole career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL you guys are ing haters.

Jeter is the only Yankee that everyone likes, even Boston fans say nice things about him.

Anyway, he has been running on fumes for the past few years so it was definitely time to call it quits. He did everything a player in the major leagues could only dream of doing.
    @ redsox/jeter fan... gtfo tbh

Thread Information