Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also don't think you can on the Spurs '99 trophy without ting on the Heat's 06 championship. I was rooting for the Heat because I hated the Mavs back then but damn, that was vintage Stern. One of the ugliest championships ever imo.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Superfriends coming together to win les is cool and all, but that doesn't trump the Spurs in a small market building a team from scratch and being dominant for 15 years, repeat (or threepeat) be damned.

Cue tanking, lucky picks, asterisk seasons, etc
    Even the mini-dynasties (Pistons, Rockets) repeated. It's long been said that the hardest thing to do in sports is defend a championship. To go into the next season with the bullseye on your back and still come out on top shows incredible resolve and determination. The Spurs are 0-4 in doing this. 0 and 4...They had great teams, but didn't have the gumption to defend what was theirs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its the 'hardest thing to do' yet its alot more common than playing at an elite level for 15 straight years. Noone, in any sport, has done what the Spurs have done. If the Big 3 played in NY, LA, or Miami theyd be gods.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's just too bad they don't hand out trophies for that. They do when you repeat, though--it's called the LOBT

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's just too bad they don't hand out trophies for that. They do when you repeat, though--it's called the LOBT
    DD in rare form.
    FKla no shame in being proud of what the Spurs have done it is a truly rare feat as well.
    But LOB's are true legacy markers, I mean Dallas was right behind you with a decade of quality ball how many LOB's do they have to show for it?

4 is nothing to sneeze at, be proud. those 4 LOB's are greater than 15 solid seasons tbh ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice bolding there, bro. As if I'm not painfully ing aware the Spurs are 0-4 in their search for a back to back. Ya .

The real question is, how many teams repeated that were more than flashes in the pan, compared to 15 years of dominance and 5 Finals appearances? Discounting the Mikan Lakers, I can think of Magic's Lakers, the Bill Russell Celtics, and the Jordan Bulls. And Jordan's bulls are actually an outlier, really. Bill Russell, too, if you wanna bring differences in eras into account.

The Bad Boy Pistons had a stretch of maybe 6-7 years they were solidly contenders, and rivals with the Bird Celtics, no less. Rockets? Cmon. They're not worth mentioning in an argument against the Spurs in terms of dynasties. Yeah, Hakeem took DRob to school 1 on 1, let's avoid the inevitable trashtalk that always results from this argument. Hakeem > DRob. But don't tell me MJ's shady retirement didn't have a direct effect on Hakeem winning those two les. ing Bird didn't even repeat, and he had a golden chance to in 87 after whooping Hakeem's ass in 86. Repeating is overrated. Wilt didn't repeat. Kareem didn't repeat til the twilight years of his career. Shaq needed one of, if not the most stacked team in NBA history to get his first repeat. Kobe had another stacked team in a year full of injuries. The Superfriends own another one of the most stacked teams in NBA history, which hurts the fact that they have been le contender on and off since 2005. The Bad Boy Pistons would never repeat in the 2000's era - they're the biggest influence on why the modern era exists, tbh.

The whole bullseye on the back thing is true, but the Spurs have had a bullseye on their back since 2004, I'd say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, repeating is awesome, but winning it in 05 and 07 is almost as good. And Spurs might've won it in 06 as well, which would've been a threepeat, if not for Pop and Manu, ie The Prequel to 6.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yes, repeating is awesome, but winning it in 05 and 07 is almost as good. And Spurs might've won it in 06 as well, which would've been a threepeat, if not for Pop and Manu, ie The Prequel to 6.
    This is why you my ...you don't let Manu skate by for the atrocities he's committed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why you my ...you don't let Manu skate by for the atrocities he's committed
    Manu was a top 3 favorite player of mine the last decade, and I still like baldie a lot. Same with Pop. They're both very compe ive people and passionate about things. But man, when those two the bed, it's like a work of art.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I put it all on Manu, tbh. Pop going smallball was stupid as and I complained quite vocally about it at the time, but all things considered, we were seconds from a WCF appearance and Manu ed it up going full re .

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    "Manu was a top 3 favorite player of mine the last decade, and I still like baldie a lot. Same with Pop. They're both very compe ive people and passionate about things. But man, when those two the bed, it's like a work of art."

HI, goin' home with who brung him.

HI

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even the mini-dynasties (Pistons, Rockets) repeated. It's long been said that the hardest thing to do in sports is defend a championship. To go into the next season with the bullseye on your back and still come out on top shows incredible resolve and determination. The Spurs are 0-4 in doing this. 0 and 4...They had great teams, but didn't have the gumption to defend what was theirs.
    ting on a team that has won 4 championships just because they never repeated The last 0-4 that I remember was when the Lakers tried to win a single game against the Spurs last year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice bolding there, bro. As if I'm not painfully ing aware the Spurs are 0-4 in their search for a back to back. Ya .

The real question is, how many teams repeated that were more than flashes in the pan, compared to 15 years of dominance and 5 Finals appearances? Discounting the Mikan Lakers, I can think of Magic's Lakers, the Bill Russell Celtics, and the Jordan Bulls. And Jordan's bulls are actually an outlier, really. Bill Russell, too, if you wanna bring differences in eras into account.

The Bad Boy Pistons had a stretch of maybe 6-7 years they were solidly contenders, and rivals with the Bird Celtics, no less. Rockets? Cmon. They're not worth mentioning in an argument against the Spurs in terms of dynasties. Yeah, Hakeem took DRob to school 1 on 1, let's avoid the inevitable trashtalk that always results from this argument. Hakeem > DRob. But don't tell me MJ's shady retirement didn't have a direct effect on Hakeem winning those two les. ing Bird didn't even repeat, and he had a golden chance to in 87 after whooping Hakeem's ass in 86. Repeating is overrated. Wilt didn't repeat. Kareem didn't repeat til the twilight years of his career. Shaq needed one of, if not the most stacked team in NBA history to get his first repeat. Kobe had another stacked team in a year full of injuries. The Superfriends own another one of the most stacked teams in NBA history, which hurts the fact that they have been le contender on and off since 2005. The Bad Boy Pistons would never repeat in the 2000's era - they're the biggest influence on why the modern era exists, tbh.

The whole bullseye on the back thing is true, but the Spurs have had a bullseye on their back since 2004, I'd say.
    Just thinking about how the Spurs have been contending since 1999 is amazing. That's a span of three ing decades already. My God.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ting on a team that has won 4 championships just because they never repeated The last 0-4 that I remember was when the Lakers tried to win a single game against the Spurs last year
    A better comeback would've been "The only 0-4 I know is the Buffalo Bills." Man, I gotta play the role of troll and spurfan on here... s hard, man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well they got 4 of them LOBTs and 5 Finals trips during that 15 year span so its not like they came out empty handed.

DD in rare form.
    FKla no shame in being proud of what the Spurs have done it is a truly rare feat as well.
    But LOB's are true legacy markers, I mean Dallas was right behind you with a decade of quality ball how many LOB's do they have to show for it?

4 is nothing to sneeze at, be proud. those 4 LOB's are greater than 15 solid seasons tbh ...
    Those 4 LOBTs are part of the 15 years. 03-07 a fluke shot from Fisher and a boneheaded play from Manu was the only thing that stopped them from winning every damn year. We arent talking about fools golds team like most of those Mavs squads were.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A better comeback would've been "The only 0-4 I know is the Buffalo Bills." Man, I gotta play the role of troll and spurfan on here... s hard, man
    I can't even imagine waking up everyday knowing that my team is 'managed' by Fredo But well, the Lakers had a great run so did the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be worse, you don't have to actually live in San Antonio...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) You know why Battier hit 7 threes? Because the Spurs defense was leaving him open, in hopes of containing Lebron.

2) It's nothing Battier hasn't done before. He plenty of times has come up clutch when his team needs him, including a big series in the finals the year before against OKC.

3) Again, the shots were WIDE OPEN shots. Nothing fluky. The Spurs just had a defensive strategy for that game that didn't work in their favor.

Don't make it seem like Miami had all kinds of lucky stuff happen for them to win that game 7. The Spurs had a strategy. Miami made them pay. That would be like a Miami fan saying that Danny Green had a fluky series, because of all the 3s he was hitting. No, he was getting insanely open on a lot of them because the Heat were too focused on sending extra help out for Parker's defender. Once they realized that Parker doesn't need to be doubled to be contained, Green didn't get many open looks, Parker struggled to create, and the Spurs offense suddenly didn't look so great. This right here IMO is the real reason this series even went to 7. If Miami would have just played TP straight up all series (which anyone with a brain knows that is how you play TP, doubling him is the worst thing you can do), there would have been far less of those 3s by Green and Neal, and Miami probably would have won sooner, perhaps in 5.

Either way, the Spurs flat out got beat. End of story. It wasn't a fluke. They simply didn't deserve it.

If you want to call Ray's 3 a fluke, then you could say the ridiculous step-back 3 that Parker had just hit a minute earlier was a fluke. In fact, it was actually more fluky, because Ray hit a shot he is arguably the greatest in NBA history at (a spot up 3), while Parker threw up a shot he almost never would take, and would probably miss 9 times out of 10. It was the epitome of a "hero" shot, that he somehow hit.
    This a solid post. Spurs really had no business extending the series beyond Game 5 considering how stacked, disciplined, and well-coached the Heatles are. Pop brilliantly countered everything Spo had to offer until Game 6. By Game 7, the Spurs didn't have any new to offer, but it was still a very close and very winnable game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well they got 4 of them LOBTs and 5 Finals trips during that 15 year span so its not like they came out empty handed.

Those 4 LOBTs are part of the 15 years. 03-07 a fluke shot from Fisher and a boneheaded play from Manu was the only thing that stopped them from winning every damn year. We arent talking about fools golds team like most of those Mavs squads were.
    And the Spurs were 28 seconds away from winning it all 14 years after their first LOB in 1999. Now that's what I call longevity. I'm not sure if there's going to be another team that would content as long as this POP-coached Spurs squad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh I still can't believe we couldn't even win just ONE of those. Still makes me sick.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I am glad that if even Superfriends wins another watered down championship this year, that it will take them another year to 4peat because of my Mavs. I love that.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Except for one small thing, all these years later its still the same posters. Still giving each other reacharounds.

I didnt read your wall of text exchange with Rob. But as far as your exchange with FkLA, you didnt own anything.
    Great face-saving post dude!

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Noone, in any sport, has done what the Spurs have done.
    Well, there was those Celtics teams that won 13 championships in 20 years with only 1 sub-.500 year in that span due to a major roster change... and then the Lakers had a 15 year run where they won 5 championships, went to 9 finals total, and only had 2 years in that span with less than 50 wins (45 and 47)... and then the Bulls who in an 11 year run, had only 2 seasons with less than 50 wins (47 and 47) and won 6 championships... so perhaps you are technically right in that no one has done what the Spurs did... because other teams in history have had unquestionably better runs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *modern era

The Patriots are the only ones that are in the same company.

Thread Information