Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Btw, this makes a great trivia question: The Celtics are 17-4 in the NBA Finals, with 3 of those losses at the hands of the Lakers. Who was the only other team to beat them?

I had to look it up, tbh
    Found it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957%E2%80%9358_NBA_season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Still, all that said they were an Horry in-and-out 3 from completing a furious Game 5 comeback and crushing San Antonio's spirit.
    2003 is underrated in the list of really disappointing Lakers playoff losses -- not because Fisher and Kobe cried in Game 6, but because Horry's in and out just killed the Lakers. He couldn't hit anything in that series. Had he made that the Lakers would've had back-to-back Game 5 buzzer-beaters against the Spurs.

Not only that, LA would've four-peated. No offense to Dallas but I think that the Lakers would've had enough to beat them in the 2003 WCF. And then Nets in the finals again...

That probably would've changed the course of the next couple of seasons. Would the Lakers still have gotten Malone and Payton? Would Kobe have gone into Colorado and meet Kate Faber?
    Last edited by Venti Quattro; 02-27-2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: edited salient facts in the post...

Banned
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    ^ Well, you wouldn't have Kobe 2 over Shaq's rocking chair ass's 1

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah, Rob had an 0-fer from the 3-pt line that series but he gave us so many awesome moments and saved the Sacto series the year prior...I was happy for him in 2005 and 2007, just like I'm happy Fish has kept up his clutch, Spur-killing ways in post-LA life Tough miss in G5, but like I said I'll take HIS good/bad moment ratio any day of the week--it was a great look, just didn't drop.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Battier hitting those threes was an enormous fluke. He was missing wide open threes all playoffs long.

Never said he wasn't clutch, I've wanted him on the Spurs for years, but at that point in time with the way he had been playing up to that point, it was extremely unexpected (though I should've known better considering he's ed the Spurs out of nowhere in the past).
    Well he is a career 38% 3pt shooter, and shot 43% from 3 that year. The only "fluke" would be all the wide open 3s he had been missing through their run. There was nothing fluky about him finally coming through and hitting extremely open shots. Shooters keep shooting, for that exact reason.

They were wide open for Battier, yes, and he finally started hitting them, but Chris Bosh and Ray Allen were the true heroes of game 6.
    So nothing that was done for the previous 47 minutes and 55 seconds of the game meant anything? How about the part where Miami was down double digits, San Antonio had all the momentum, and Lebron told everyone to get out of his way and singlehandedly got them back into the lead? How about the 5 minutes of overtime where Miami as a team played suffocating defense and made plays when they needed them? If they didn't do that, then Bosh's rebound and Ray's 3 means nothing. Quit trying to be a typical spurfan and make excuses and minimize Miami's accomplishment. The series went 7 games, and Miami flat out proved they were the better team.

The Battier hitting shots he wasn't hitting in the past two months consistently was flukey, but other than that it was Miami showing their championship pedigree. I disagree with the series going less than seven; Parker was absolutely doing work in those playoffs up until he got hurt. It's not like the games the Spurs won were particularly close either (sans game 1 which they won without Green hitting a ridiculous amount of 3s).
    No one said Parker wasn't putting in work. But when they kept doubling him, it opened the floor up for everyone on the Spurs. Once they stopped, and they forced him to shoulder more of a scoring load and have less room to distribute, things changed. Perhaps his injury had a part, but if you want to play that card, Wade was clearly hurting and not himself either for the series.

As for the Parker shot, yes that was flukey, but with the way he performed that season and the fact he nailed that same shot multiple times against Memphis and GS is proof he was capable of doing it.
    Oh, so that doesn't apply to Shane Battier, having a cold run, but finally getting hot and hitting wide open shots like he has all career?

Funny, the double standards spurfan continues to have

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not only that, LA would've four-peated. No offense to Dallas but I think that the Lakers would've had enough to beat them in the 2003 WCF. And then Nets in the finals again...
    None taken. Most Dallas fans were ecstatic that the Spurs beat LA, because LA was the only team we didn't feel confident about beating.

Banned
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Shaq would have had his 2000-02 Finals moment early if he faced Lafrentz/Bradley in the WCF

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Shaq would have had his 2000-02 Finals moment early if he faced Lafrentz/Bradley in the WCF
    Oddly, that year, Shaq wasn't the guy who really hurt the Mavs.

Dallas heavily used a zone defense that year. In general, when they played each other, they kept Shaq and Kobe from going too crazy.

It was Fisher, Fox and Deaven George who killed us that year, getting open for a bunch of spot up 3s in the Dallas zone. I still remember those games to this day, being the reason I first started hating Derek Fisher he killed us

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DD is trolling imo. The Spurs unrivaled run of consistency since Timmy arrived is much more impressive than the Heat's 'better opponents'.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Phillip ting all over SF in this thread, tbh....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the Spurs were very fortunate that Miami (Lebron) hit a cold stretch for a few games. Oh, and then of course once Lebron got back in his groove and was hitting his jumper like he had been doing basically all season long, Miami came back and won the series.
    And the Mavs were even more fortunate that the King straight up choked in '11 tbh.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    DD is trolling imo. The Spurs unrivaled run of consistency since Timmy arrived is much more impressive than the Heat's 'better opponents'.
    Nah, if they 3peat I'll take the Riley era in Miami

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, if they 3peat I'll take the Riley era in Miami
    Yet they needed a once in a lifetime collapse from a Spurs core thats on its last legs. Prime Spurs wouldve wiped their ass with the Heatles tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miami had better opponents than the Shaq/Kobe Lakers?
    Yeah Brandon Jennings/Monta Ellis were better

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    And the Mavs were even more fortunate that the King straight up choked in '11 tbh.
    I don't disagree.

I have always said, that if Lebron had stepped up and took the role as the #1 guy away from Wade, and quit being afraid of stepping on Wade's shoes, Miami would have beaten Dallas.

Although we all know you aren't trying to have legit basketball discussion here. You are just getting butthurt as usual

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well he is a career 38% 3pt shooter, and shot 43% from 3 that year. The only "fluke" would be all the wide open 3s he had been missing through their run. There was nothing fluky about him finally coming through and hitting extremely open shots. Shooters keep shooting, for that exact reason.

So nothing that was done for the previous 47 minutes and 55 seconds of the game meant anything? How about the part where Miami was down double digits, San Antonio had all the momentum, and Lebron told everyone to get out of his way and singlehandedly got them back into the lead? How about the 5 minutes of overtime where Miami as a team played suffocating defense and made plays when they needed them? If they didn't do that, then Bosh's rebound and Ray's 3 means nothing. Quit trying to be a typical spurfan and make excuses and minimize Miami's accomplishment. The series went 7 games, and Miami flat out proved they were the better team.

No one said Parker wasn't putting in work. But when they kept doubling him, it opened the floor up for everyone on the Spurs. Once they stopped, and they forced him to shoulder more of a scoring load and have less room to distribute, things changed. Perhaps his injury had a part, but if you want to play that card, Wade was clearly hurting and not himself either for the series.

Oh, so that doesn't apply to Shane Battier, having a cold run, but finally getting hot and hitting wide open shots like he has all career?

Funny, the double standards spurfan continues to have
    Him getting hot like that was regression to the mean, but by that point there was little reason to think after leaving him open for most of the postseason he would start hitting everything he threw up. Then again I guess Game 5 Manu was an example of the same thing happening.

Lebron also turned it over twice in the final minute and bricked a wide open three that allowed the Spurs to put a stranglehold on the series before choking it away. The series did go seven games but as you and many of the other posters down here like to remind us, the Spurs gave that series away. Miami fought tooth and nail to win it, but in the end it took the Spurs choking on a bag of s for it to happen.

Wade actually started playing really well by Game 4 and made himself a factor, yet the Spurs were still in a situation to win. It helped Duncan finally got around to playing better as the series wore on. That had as much an impact as the Heat's gameplan for Parker changing.

You claimed it was a shot he normally wouldn't take, yet he took it several times in the playoffs and made it; completely different situation. He had been making that shot and took it with the confidence it had a solid chance of going in. Meanwhile Battier had been taking those shots and missed most of them ( , HH was even do enting it pretty heavily throughout the Heat's run last year). While it was regression to the mean, it was still extremely surprising it would happen out of nowhere in Game 7. I digress though, hat's off to him for clutching up like normal.

I've always wondered if you were a troll of DD or mono/m>s' tbh. I really hope I haven't been arguing with one of you this whole time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phillip ting all over SF in this thread, tbh....
    Son, its hard to argue for your team when they did straight up choke, but god dammit I'm trying...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ^ Well, you wouldn't have Kobe 2 over Shaq's rocking chair ass's 1
    Pau still would've ended up here and Kobe still would've won #5 and #6. The way Shaq demanded the Good Doctor Buss to "pay him", there was no returning back from that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree.

I have always said, that if Lebron had stepped up and took the role as the #1 guy away from Wade, and quit being afraid of stepping on Wade's shoes, Miami would have beaten Dallas.

Although we all know you aren't trying to have legit basketball discussion here. You are just getting butthurt as usual
    He didnt even need to be the alpha, since Wade was still capable of carrying the team back then. LBJ wasnt even a solid #2 that series which wouldve been enough imo. Heat returned the favor though since Dirk and co. choking away '06 is still pretty inexplicable.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You claimed it was a shot he normally wouldn't take, yet he took it several times in the playoffs and made it; completely different situation. He had been making that shot and took it with the confidence it had a solid chance of going in. Meanwhile Battier had been taking those shots and missed most of them ( , HH was even do enting it pretty heavily throughout the Heat's run last year). While it was regression to the mean, it was still extremely surprising it would happen out of nowhere in Game 7. I digress though, hat's off to him for clutching up like normal.
    Um, step back 3s? Yeah I would love to see some footage of him taking and making them multiple times in the playoffs as you suggest. Even the best, most purest of jumpshooters rarely take step-back 3s the way Parker did in that situation. Not saying he didn't hit any, just I hadn't see it from him, and anyone that has watched Parker in his career, knows he is a mediocre 3pt shooter at best.

I get the argument you are attempting to make, but unfortunately for you, your argument sucks more than Jason Collins. Fact is, you are comparing a contested step back 3 from a poor 3pt shooter, to a spot up wide open 3 from a guy who's offense is entirely spot up wide open 3s and is quite good at them.

And the initial comparison was calling Ray's 3 flukey, when he simply hit a spot up jumper. He is the most prolific 3pt shooter in NBA history. How is that flukey, especially if you compare it to Parker's step back 3?

I've always wondered if you were a troll of DD or mono/m>s' tbh. I really hope I haven't been arguing with one of you this whole time.
    Why would you think I am a troll of theirs? I've been on this forum longer than either of them tbh. I was actually the one who introduced Mono to ST.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    He didnt even need to be the alpha, since Wade was still capable of carrying the team back then. LBJ wasnt even a solid #2 that series which wouldve been enough imo. Heat returned the favor though since Dirk and co. choking away '06 is still pretty inexplicable.
    Cool reply bro. Great basketball takes

Veteran
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    Thank you.

The way Wade was playing in the 11 Finals, all LBJ had to do was be as "bad" as Wade was in 12... 13 might be pushing it (although from gm 4 on (minus 6) Wade was good). LBJ was worse than bad, he didn't impose his will at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO Dirk was the 2nd best PF ever even before 2011 despite his chokejobs.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Thank you.

The way Wade was playing in the 11 Finals, all LBJ had to do was be as "bad" as Wade was in 12... 13 might be pushing it (although from gm 4 on (minus 6) Wade was good). LBJ was worse than bad, he didn't impose his will at all.
    IMO, Lebron wasn't quite as bad as people say. Could he have been more assertive? Absolutely.

But at the same time, Carlisle had their defense pretty much focused on not allowing Lebron to create, and on the other hand, they pretty much allowed Wade to do what he wanted. I think they know that Lebron being able to create was more devastating than Wade being able to create. I think it was evident they were doing that as Marion was almost exclusively on Lebron all series. Also, they frequently would play ball denial on Lebron and almost any time he started to get going, they changed their defense to a zone and focused on keeping him out of the paint.

Most of the defense was geared for Lebron. The only time I really saw any extra defensive effort given to Wade, was Carlisle bringing in Cardinal to foul him hard. I don't doubt for a second that his hard fouls were intentional just to try to find a way to throw Wade off a bit.

Thread Information