We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I might give a 5 year contract but no 10 year.......

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    An 8-year extension worth 31 million a season to a 30 year old who could easily be 32, who can't play defense in his athletic prime, and who's dealt with weight and DUI issues.

Nah, they won't regret that...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess they didn't learn anything from the Albert Pujols deal. At least he's got plenty of money to buy his steroids well into his 40's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Money is officially worthless

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Damn he's going up to one at bat while eating a cheeseburger and making more than most people do in a year

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    money is irrelevant to most baseball owners. ten years is a bit much and they will end up regretting such a long contract, but really, who gives a . They have him now. tigers still won't do this year, but he is fun to watch. and ya, he is a big guy but 6'4" 255? nothing wrong with that for a first baseman.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN said he could be paid $49,423 per at-bat. How much do you think
    parking and hot dogs n beer will cost. Got to wonder how much is guaranteed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN said he could be paid $49,423 per at-bat. How much do you think
    parking and hot dogs n beer will cost. Got to wonder how much is guaranteed.
    I'm lucky if I make $49000 in a year, that's incredible. In baseball contracts, all money is guaranteed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What an abortion of a contract, tbh.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Stupidity continues in baseball. These owners still haven't learned from A-Rod and Albert. Cano a few months ago, now Miggy.

STOP GIVING OUT 10 YEAR CONTRACTS, YOU ASS MONKEYS!!!!

I didn't care how much his per salary was going to be. I was expecting it to be in the neighborhood of $30 million anyway. But the 10 years is just utter stupidity. One of the Tigers beat writers tweeted that the owner Mike Ilitch just couldn't bear losing Cabrera in the future and didn't care how much it cost. Uhhhh yeah... it shows. What a ing moron. The contract could be a complete waste as soon as 4-5 years from now, maybe sooner if Miggy doesn't stay healthy.

The only spin I can put on this is that even if the Tigers waited it out for next off season or two years from now when Miggy was going to be a free agent, there's a good chance he still gets a 10 year deal from some team. Albert was 32 when he got his 10 year deal with the Angels. A-Rod was 34 when he restructured his second 10 year deal. Cano is 31. Miggy two years from now will be 32 about to turn 33 and seeing how these owners haven't learned their lesson yet, he still may have gotten a 10 year deal two years from now. Having said that, at least it's 10 years from now instead of two years of playing out his current contract and then another 10 year contract two years from now. Doing the deal now ultimately avoids paying him that 10 year deal until he's 42-43, as opposed to a 10 year deal now that pays him until he's 40-41. That's about as good a silver lining as I can put on it. Excuse me while I go to the bathroom and puke.

Horrible. Unbelievably horrible. Disgusting.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Honestly, they should already regret it.

Give him a 5-year, 180 million if you must, as was discussed all yesterday, he's a DH in 2/3 years, and the best DH in Ortiz makes half what Cabrera will.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Won't really disagree that they should regret it, but will disagree about him being a DH in 2-3 years. He's actually a good defensive first baseman. Not elite, not great, but a good defensive first baseman. And 1B isn't a position he'll have to stop playing in a couple years imo. That doesn't mean the contract isn't stupid. It absolutely is. But he should be able to stick at 1B for several more years. Probably not the next 10 years, but just because he was below average as a 3B does not mean he's below average as a 1B. Far from it actually.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    More re ed: this, or 48.5?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Let's put this simply and frankly: You're ing re ed if you think that $48.5 million over 2 years is worse than $292 million over 10 years.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    If you're a big market, always overpay on the yearly and reduce the years.

Detroit isn't a big market, but Cabrera likely anticipated 5/150 extension. Likely would have signed it, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least Miggy will play and not quit, tbh.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    On the flip side, Kobe has already en led the Lakers 5 times.

And Cabrera in years 8-9-10 will likely play about as much as Kobe. From being pudgy to fat throughout his career, to already having "nagging" little issues after the long season, Cabrera will DH 100 or fewer a season in years 8-9-10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cabrera's contract is more money than De Blasio's NYC budget appropriates for education...

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    If you're a big market, always overpay on the yearly and reduce the years.

Detroit isn't a big market, but Cabrera likely anticipated 5/150 extension. Likely would have signed it, too.
    No he wouldn't have. Robinson is a few months older than Cabrera and got a 10 year contract. Why wouldn't Cabrera and agent look for the same treatment as a guy he's better than? Even if the contracts are viewed as disastrous, why wouldn't Cabrera want the same type of length on his last contract as A-Rod and Albert when they were older than he is now when they got their 10 year deals? I doubt he would have signed a 5 year extension. Maybe 7 year to make the deal a 9 year deal. Maybe. Not a 5 year extension. I hate the contract. But I don't see why you think Cabrera, especially advised by an agent who sees what other superstar players get, would have caved for a 5 year extension knowing full well he could get 9-10 year deal (meaning a 7-8 year extension). Nothing suggests he would have.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Robinson isn't getting 30 million per season.

Give him 5/6-180/200. He'd have taken it. Nobody turns down 30-35 million per season over half a decade.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Nobody turns down 30-35 million per season over half a decade.
    Sure some people would if they know they can get more money. How ridiculous does it sound for anyone to turn down a contract offer anywhere over $200 million? Yet Albert Pujols did a couple years ago with St. Louis' offer to him. Miggy by all accounts is considered the best hitter in baseball. He's at an age where superstar players get 10 year deals. His agent is not going to let him settle for a 7 year deal knowing he can get a 9-10 year deal. At 5/6 for 180/200, he'd still be giving up $50-70 million of a total contract amount he and his agent know he can get. The Tigers re-upped Miggy for basically 8 years at $248M. Unless Miggy goes over the head of his agent and says accept any deal the Tigers offer, a good agent will hold off until they get an offer they think is the most they can get. The extension was not going to be less than the total amount Cano got. It just wasn't going to happen. I think you're naive thinking it would have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bye max

Banned
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    We got rid of Fielder to make room for Max, tbh...

Banned
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Phil Coke still living off of his 2012 postseason performance. Jesus ing Christ.

Thread Information