Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devos continues to serve up a heaping helping of incompetence, self-dealing, and cronyism. Icky.

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos had a rough go with Lesley Stahl of 60 Minutes when she was confronted over the fact that schools in her home state of Michigan have performed worse under policies she’s championed.

“In places where there is a lot of choice that’s been introduced, Florida for example, the studies show that where there’s a large number of students that opt to go to a different school or different schools, the traditional public schools actually, the results get better as well,” DeVos told Stahl.

Stahl then asked if DeVos’s example applied to her home state. “Have the public schools in Michigan gotten better?”

“I don’t know, overall, I can’t say overall that they have all gotten better,” Devos replied, before Stahl reminded her that school across the state are faltering.

DeVos then tried to claim that there are individual “pockets” in Michigan that are “doing well,” but Stahl still wasn’t buying it.

“But your argument, that if you take funds away the schools will get better, is not working in Michigan where you had a huge impact and influence over the school system here,” Stahl declared.

DeVos tried to pivot to how “individual” students are performing instead of focusing on the districts as a whole, suggesting that district performance is somehow unrelated to how students themselves perform. “Schools are made up of individual students attending them,” she said before conceding that schools in Michigan “need to do better.”

“Have you seen the really bad schools?” Stahl asked. “Maybe try to find to figure out what they’re doing?”

DeVos stuttered before replying, “I have not intentionally visited schools that are underperforming.
    http://deadstate.org/leslie-stahl-co...-her-policies/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    great new thread for March 11 interview

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reason schools are doing better in Miami Dade County is not because of the Superintendent Carvalho or public schools - it is because of the proliferation of charter schools. They are given the same amount for each child but get to spend as they see fit - meaning more pay for the teachers, incentivizing them for student performance and spending efficiently. I laugh at the hurrah/pep rally display (when Super was offered that job in NY and declined), etc of our 4th largest in the nation district but the truth is that even here - when given a choice (thank you Rick Scott), most who work here choose to send their kids to charter schools.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The reason schools are doing better in Miami Dade County is not because of the Superintendent Carvalho or public schools - it is because of the proliferation of charter schools. They are given the same amount for each child but get to spend as they see fit - meaning more pay for the teachers, incentivizing them for student performance and spending efficiently. I laugh at the hurrah/pep rally display (when Super was offered that job in NY and declined), etc of our 4th largest in the nation district but the truth is that even here - when given a choice (thank you Rick Scott), most who work here choose to send their kids to charter schools.
    How much more are teachers paid in charter schools?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much more are teachers paid in charter schools?
    At our school, it's a merit/negotiable system - I would guess that a starting AP Physics teacher (rare) is paid more than a starting Spanish teacher (who would probably be quite common here in Miami). It is not like the public schools where it doesn't matter if you are a good or bad teacher, you get paid the same (depending on number of years/pay scale). Guess where the good teachers flock to.

They also do things like (3 year) teacher exchange program from Spain. Ds' pre-calc teacher is a chem engineer who is working on his PhD in Spain. His chem teacher is also in that program. I assume they get them for cheap (Spain's economy being what it is) - although both gave ds a 3 in effort - thinking that was the highest score :-) And of course, their not so great English is not a problem in this school.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    At our school, it's a merit/negotiable system - I would guess that a starting AP Physics teacher (rare) is paid more than a starting Spanish teacher (who would probably be quite common here in Miami). It is not like the public schools where it doesn't matter if you are a good or bad teacher, you get paid the same (depending on number of years/pay scale). Guess where the good teachers flock to.

They also do things like (3 year) teacher exchange program from Spain. Ds' pre-calc teacher is a chem engineer who is working on his PhD in Spain. His chem teacher is also in that program. I assume they get them for cheap (Spain's economy being what it is) - although both gave ds a 3 in effort - thinking that was the highest score :-) And of course, their not so great English is not a problem in this school.
    I see precisely no numbers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see precisely no numbers.
    You can google the public school numbers yourself - it's public record.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You made the claim.

How much more are they paid?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At our school, it's a merit/negotiable system - I would guess....
    Stopped reading here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn I hate when people talk out of their ass and then expect you to disprove their BS.

annoying as

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Evidence that MIA charter schools are out-performing public schools?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What don't you understand about MERIT/NEGOTIABLE system in charter school? Public school teacher salaries are a matter of public record.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    What don't you understand about MERIT/NEGOTIABLE system in charter school? Public school teacher salaries are a matter of public record.
    I understand I have seen no numbers at all to back up your claim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Evidence that MIA charter schools are out-performing public schools?
    Charter schools have self-selected students all the time.

Easy to outperform other schools if you can boot troublemakers.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    what is it with Conservatives on this board making bull claims and refusing to back them up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reason schools are doing better in Miami Dade County ... is because of the proliferation of charter schools.
    Interesting claim.

Are you familiar with the post hoc propter hoc fallacy? Does that fallacy form fit your statement?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting claim.

Are you familiar with the post hoc propter hoc fallacy? Does that fallacy form fit your statement?
    No, I am not familiar with whatever that is. I know as a well-informed parent with fellow concerned (parent) friends and co-workers who deals with public school data all day long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting claim.

You can Google it yourself

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The battle brewing is trying to move off the mainframe but not being able to force charter schools to pay for vendors' licensing fees.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can Google it yourself
    I don't care to know what it is.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The battle brewing is trying to move off the mainframe but not being able to force charter schools to pay for vendors' licensing fees.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here comes the subject change!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having choice of school (which Rick Scott signed into Florida law) is a good thing. One can choose from magnet, virtual, charter, homeschooling, public school in neighborhood, or grandparents'/relatives' neighborhood or on the way/near work. Some research and networking will (IMHO) yield better schools for our kids than being STUCK in some poor-performing neighborhood school. But some of you are so married to the public school/teachers' union system - well, good luck with that with your kids. I firmly believe that the money should follow the student.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Having choice of school (which Rick Scott signed into Florida law) is a good thing. One can choose from magnet, virtual, charter, homeschooling, public school in neighborhood, or grandparents'/relatives' neighborhood or on the way/near work. Some research and networking will (IMHO) yield better schools for our kids than being STUCK in some poor-performing neighborhood school. But some of you are so married to the public school/teachers' union system - well, good luck with that with your kids. I firmly believe that the money should follow the student.
    Where are those numbers showing charter school teachers are paid more?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care to know what it is.
    I know. You'd rather talk directly out of your ass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeVos attempt to revoke Obama era student debt relief slapped down as illegal, DOE forced to implement it:

A federal judge in September ruled that DeVos' efforts to stop the 2016 “borrower defense” regulations from taking effect was illegal. And in October, the same judge rejected a bid by for-profit colleges to immediately stop the regulations, clearing the way for them to take effect.

Education Department officials said Thursday that they will cancel the loans of about 15,000 borrowers who qualified for “closed school” loan discharges but who haven’t yet applied for that benefit. Those student loans total approximately $150 million.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-loans-1063442

Thread Information