Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Elliott: Spurs will be a target next season

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...t-next-season/

Kyle “Magic” Anderson?

It’s not often Elliott jumps for joy during the NBA draft, but that’s what happened when the Spurs picked Kyle Anderson in the first round in June.

Elliott said he watched Anderson a few times during his last season at UCLA and was impressed.
    Anderson is coming off his first Summer League stint with the Spurs in Las Vegas, where he started six games, averaging 8.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists.

“I keep telling everybody around me that we got the steal of the draft in Kyle Anderson,” Elliott said. “He’s a terrific player. I saw him play three times last year in college, and he fits (the Spurs) system perfectly. He’s a 6-9 poor man’s Magic Johnson.”

Elliott confessed the night of the draft he got off his “couch and yelled. That’s how excited I am. We’re going to be a lot of fun next year.”

With the mix of youth and veterans, Elliott thinks the Spurs’ run is far from over.

Duncan, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker are in the last year of their contracts. Some thought Duncan and Ginobili would call it quits, but both decided to return for at least one more year.

With Anderson in the fold and an improved Kawhi Leonard, Elliott doesn’t see Duncan and Ginobili retiring quite yet.

Said Elliott: “I just think and believe that we’re going to be good for a long time.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really think Anderson has a higher basketball IQ than Tim Duncan right now? Manu Ginobili? Tony Parker? Boris Diaw?
    some of the guys on here think that players are born with innate magical abilities; "either you have it or you dont"

they dont understand work; that's a generational thing

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only he could eat magic food that changed his DNA and made him a better leaper.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should eat whatever mutated Bryce Cotton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You might say he has the best basketball a en...

The way he perceives the game, depth of understanding... from being around the game his whole life...

But smarts to me... is like applied intelligence mixed with experience and how you use all that, during the moment.

Duncan has a lifetime of profesional basketball under his belt, a Wealth of years honing his craft....... to say that Kyle Anderson has more Basketball smarts than Duncan is.. just wrong.

There are things Duncan does, that KA probably doesn't even know is possible...

He might have that feel for the game right now, but translating that into something tangible, kid still has to figure it out.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You might say he has the best basketball a en...

The way he perceives the game, depth of understanding... from being around the game his whole life...

But smarts to me... is like applied intelligence mixed with experience and how you use all that, during the moment.

Duncan has a lifetime of profesional basketball under his belt, a Wealth of years honing his craft....... to say that Kyle Anderson has more Basketball smarts than Duncan is.. just wrong.

There are things Duncan does, that KA probably doesn't even know is possible...

He might have that feel for the game right now, but translating that into something tangible, kid still has to figure it out.
    I don't think anyone is making that claim, rather that the potential is there, and the possibility exists, but nothing concrete and etched in stone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think anyone is making that claim, rather that the potential is there, and the possibility exists, but nothing concrete and etched in stone.
    Originally Posted by xmas1997
    He might well be the smartest player on the Spurs right now.

??

Ok NVM... I just jumped into the middle of that train.

I see where you clarified your meaning etc..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim, Tony, Manu and Diaw all have physical gifts to go along with their smarts. I tell you one thing, he better become a successful 3 point shooter and I hope his supposed rebounding skills translate because hes not going to make it just on passing and theyre not just going to let him handle the ball all the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim, Tony, Manu and Diaw all have physical gifts to go along with their smarts. I tell you one thing, he better become a successful 3 point shooter and I hope his supposed rebounding skills translate because hes not going to make it just on passing and theyre not just going to let him handle the ball all the time.
    You just made me think... you know how their is that category of player called a 3 and D guy.... like Green... maybe KA will become like the Flip Side of that.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys really need to stop judging a player you haven't watched by a nickname you've misinterpreted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just made me think... you know how their is that category of player called a 3 and D guy.... like Green... maybe KA will become like the Flip Side of that.
    2 and O? That seems terrible. Looking at the Spurs' roster, I think they intend for him to be the backup two-guard long term with LJC and Bertans to go along with Daye and Thomas, the backup three spot is well covered. I think he may be Manu's heir apparent. Let's hope so, because the Spurs are going to need a bench general going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he may be Manu's heir apparent. Let's hope so, because the Spurs are going to need a bench general going forward.
    That is exactly what I think would be the best case scenario (and it is within the realm of possibility) for Anderson. When he was selected at 30, it was the first thought that came to my mind. Vastly different players - him and Manu - but as a longish PG anchoring the bench there are more than a few similarities. Anderson is a classic sixth man in a team structured like the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KA has the most important tool you can have.... High BBIQ. Sure it's nice to have athleticism, but what happens when you rely on it so much and then one day you don't have it?? Why do you think Duncan has been able to sustain a high level of play this late in his career? I read somewhere, that he sees the game in a three dribble mode or something like that. The dude is methodical, and that can be deadlier than dunking over someone every now and then... I'm really excited to see the growth of KA in front of our eyes. I really want to see how he's fares against NBA caliber compe ion. It definitely will be a learning process, but he looks like the type of player who learns off the fly, who learns from his mistakes quickly. It's funny how the Spurs always end up with players who seem like they were made for the team.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wouldn't put a lot of expectations on the kid, not until his second year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets not set our expectations too high. He dropped to 30 for a reason. I can see him struggling a bit his first year. He isn't just gonna come in and be the next Boris Diaw. But with time, he should find a good role off of the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what if he leapfrogs Daye in the depth chart though?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at this point my hope is that an empty roster spot leapfrogs Daye aka he gets waived

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stir the pot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Snark fails to impress, it's possible and I'm sure you're aware of that. Not that it's a feat because there isn't much to work with. Always fun to see rooks giving vets a run for their money. You're probably the only one arguing for Daye anyway. Won't be settled til the season starts so forum banter is counter-productive at this point. Gotta get me some sleep

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, if we're getting into the habit of nitpicking and semantics and twisting words, time is better spent for other things. Slooooooow news day.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, your snark failed to impress. It's cool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 and O? That seems terrible. Looking at the Spurs' roster, I think they intend for him to be the backup two-guard long term with LJC and Bertans to go along with Daye and Thomas, the backup three spot is well covered. I think he may be Manu's heir apparent. Let's hope so, because the Spurs are going to need a bench general going forward.
    That's not what I meant man..

The flip side, I meant... like a 3/D equivalent on the Offensive End... like Tempo Setter/Creator

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, your snark failed to impress. It's cool.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys really need to stop judging a player you haven't watched by a nickname you've misinterpreted.
    Im saying what I think is true, I wish him all the best. He reminds me of Jared Dudley who played for Boston College. With them he was a big guy. In the NBA he is no longer a big guy, he needed a three pt shot to stay relevant.

What Im saying is that the Spurs arent going to say heres the ball, do what you did in college, hes got to fit to them first.

Thread Information