Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a shock, this never happens to draft and stashers. Good thing the spurs have Bertans and LJC healing up in the pipeline. And Daye coming off a beastly summer league.
    FireMicoHalili
    Oh and it's not like any spur needs athleticism. Foreign league grooming Dangubic to learn to be smarter already. Is he skinny? Maybe now he will have some time to focus on the guns?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a shock, this never happens to draft and stashers. Good thing the spurs have Bertans and LJC healing up in the pipeline. And Daye coming off a beastly summer league.
    FireMicoHalili
    Who said his injury was anything close to what Bertans and LJC had?

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FireMicoHalili
    Wow clearly you have gotten over the last time you ended up saying "Have a beer bro" while contradicting yourself.
    (1) No one said it never happens to draft-and-slashers. I'm pretty sure however that injuries occur when you play basketball, plain and simple. It's absurd how you try to correlate injuries and the draft and stash system. You didn't even know where the injury came from: practice with his former basketball squad or national team practice. If he did incur such injury at NT practice, your argument falls flat on its face.
    (2) What are LJC and Bertans doing exactly? Do you see any roster spots open for them? Unless the league comes up with an extra 1-2 roster spots teams can use without these 16th and 17th men's salaries counting against the cap, teams like the Spurs will have to settle for letting their players stay abroad. You see other teams complaining about how the cap limits players' earning capacity and the development of young players, but unless the system changes, the Spurs have to be within the bounds of the current CBA, and they've been exemplary at doing that.
    (3) I don't know what Daye has to do with anything, but if the Spurs needed Dangubič and his athleticism right away, they would have brought him right off the bat, but they didn't, and instead handed a roster spot for the most unathletic kid in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow clearly you have gotten over the last time you ended up saying "Have a beer bro" while contradicting yourself.
    (1) No one said it never happens to draft-and-slashers. I'm pretty sure however that injuries occur when you play basketball, plain and simple. It's absurd how you try to correlate injuries and the draft and stash system. You didn't even know where the injury came from: practice with his former basketball squad or national team practice. If he did incur such injury at NT practice, your argument falls flat on its face.
    (2) What are LJC and Bertans doing exactly? Do you see any roster spots open for them? Unless the league comes up with an extra 1-2 roster spots teams can use without these 16th and 17th men's salaries counting against the cap, teams like the Spurs will have to settle for letting their players stay abroad. You see other teams complaining about how the cap limits players' earning capacity and the development of young players, but unless the system changes, the Spurs have to be within the bounds of the current CBA, and they've been exemplary at doing that.
    (3) I don't know what Daye has to do with anything, but if the Spurs needed Dangubič and his athleticism right away, they would have brought him right off the bat, but they didn't, and instead handed a roster spot for the most unathletic kid in the draft.
    I couldn't maintain the charade. I hoped my sarcasm would get through to you. But i'm going back to just hammering it out. I'm not talking about injuries that occur during NT or NT related events. And i don't care about how severe the injury is. I care that injuries are happening to drafted players. And they are very possibly happening outside of NT or Spurs play.

Bonner, Ayers, Daye are scrubs. Sure, scrubs can be good. I don't want to pull up stats on stashers vs scrubs. Of course the stupid scrubs should win, they know how to dance. But drafted players have something the stats don't show. You always get 2 a year, no trades or free agency negotiations necessary, cheap long contracts, and a fire to do more than dance. The drafted Spurs are being overkilled and potentially hurt. It's a waste of picks. It's a misplacement of faith. It's a waste of time. It's fighting the current.

Why not draft players and roster them? What's with this continued interest in scrubs? It's like watching Marion shoot, it's so awful! Every time i see a stasher is hurt story, or a Spurs interested in Dahanty Jones story. It sucks! Draft players and roster them, don't worry about scrubs. If a drafted player becomes a scrub, don't worry about scrubs. Draft players and roster them. I'm not talking about starters here. Or the cap or roster size. I'm talking about a failure to utilize 14/15th men spots for 1/2 round pick rotating door evaluation. The Spurs draft and stash and scrub dig like a dad gum aggie/blonde trying to walk through the rotating door. There's no need to re-invent the wheel. It's more trouble than it's worth. What does it matter how bad the knee or where, the spurs don't even want their player? What sense is there in drafting a player you don't want?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who said his injury was anything close to what Bertans and LJC had?
    did i give the impression that i thought it mattered how bad the injury was?

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I couldn't maintain the charade. I hoped my sarcasm would get through to you. But i'm going back to just hammering it out. I'm not talking about injuries that occur during NT or NT related events. And i don't care about how severe the injury is. I care that injuries are happening to drafted players. And they are very possibly happening outside of NT or Spurs play.

Bonner, Ayers, Daye are scrubs. Sure, scrubs can be good. I don't want to pull up stats on stashers vs scrubs. Of course the stupid scrubs should win, they know how to dance. But drafted players have something the stats don't show. You always get 2 a year, no trades or free agency negotiations necessary, cheap long contracts, and a fire to do more than dance. The drafted Spurs are being overkilled and potentially hurt. It's a waste of picks. It's a misplacement of faith. It's a waste of time. It's fighting the current.

Why not draft players and roster them? What's with this continued interest in scrubs? It's like watching Marion shoot, it's so awful! Every time i see a stasher is hurt story, or a Spurs interested in Dahanty Jones story. It sucks! Draft players and roster them, don't worry about scrubs. If a drafted player becomes a scrub, don't worry about scrubs. Draft players and roster them. I'm not talking about starters here. Or the cap or roster size. I'm talking about a failure to utilize 14/15th men spots for 1/2 round pick rotating door evaluation. The Spurs draft and stash and scrub dig like a dad gum aggie/blonde trying to walk through the rotating door. There's no need to re-invent the wheel. It's more trouble than it's worth. What does it matter how bad the knee or where, the spurs don't even want their player? What sense is there in drafting a player you don't want?
    I'm in an awfully good mood so sure, man, whatever floats your boat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will play for Belgrade's Red Star next season. Also, was cut from Serbian NT preparations due to some kind of knee injury.
    How does Red Star's ability to develop players compare to Partizan's?

Good thing Bertans left when he did. Don't want to see Bertans and Dangubic in a fist fight before teaming up on the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand what TXLR is saying. It's all well and good to say the Spurs are being forced to stash their prospects because they have a full roster. But they have a full roster because they chose to sign scrubs instead of bringing over their talent. They chose Ayres and Daye over LJC and Bertans. If this Dahanty Jones thing happens, they'll be chosing him over them, Thomas and Dangubic. I don't agree with that. I feel like picking scrubs over developing prospects is what closed the Spurs' window in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Red Star (Dangubic's team) and Baskonia (Bertans' and Hanga's team) will be in the same group for Euroleague play

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does Red Star's ability to develop players compare to Partizan's?

Good thing Bertans left when he did. Don't want to see Bertans and Dangubic in a fist fight before teaming up on the Spurs
    Hard to say in general, this season Red Star had more experienced team than Partizan, who had more young players and in my opinion better talents. But I think his decision is good, they will play Euroleague next season, Partizan won't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to say in general, this season Red Star had more experienced team than Partizan, who had more young players and in my opinion better talents. But I think his decision is good, they will play Euroleague next season, Partizan won't.
    Thanks smaka Looking forward to the Dangubic vs. Bertans/Hanga head to head matchups.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm in an awfully good mood so sure, man, whatever floats your boat.
    Thanks, and also thanks to Chinook. Guess what, ya'll just inspired a thread idea.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One way to get NBA teams to have bigger rosters would be to expand the D-League to 30 teams (with direct affiliations obv) and pay the players enough to compete with low-level leagues outside the US. Make it a viable option for undrafted and stashed players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One way to get NBA teams to have bigger rosters would be to expand the D-League to 30 teams (with direct affiliations obv) and pay the players enough to compete with low-level leagues outside the US. Make it a viable option for undrafted and stashed players.
    That money would come directly out of the owners pockets, so, not happening.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. The players could insist on this at the next lockout in 2017 but as before, the owners hold all the cards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're talking about the salary for all players on a d-league team combining to equal about what the MLE is. It's certainly not nothing, but it's not prohibitive. That's going to be even more true when the new TV deal kicks in. Teams are going to have more money to spend, but still no incentive to go into the tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're talking about the salary for all players on a d-league team combining to equal about what the MLE is. It's certainly not nothing, but it's not prohibitive. That's going to be even more true when the new TV deal kicks in. Teams are going to have more money to spend, but still no incentive to go into the tax.
    I understand how logical it seems, but when you have owners like Bennett who trade stars and draft second round talent at 29 in order to save probably an MLEs worth of tax payments, combined, I just don't see it happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any news on this kid? The Spurs must be pretty high on him if they were willing to give up two picks to trade up and get him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any news on this kid? The Spurs must be pretty high on him if they were willing to give up two picks to trade up and get him.
    They gave up the 58th and 60th pick, so I wouldn't read too much into that trade.

He has been getting regular bench minutes so far both in the Adriatic League and Euroleague. His stats are pretty bad and in the few games I have seen, he didn't really show any NBA ready skills. I would say he is a bigger and younger Adam Hanga, some nice ahtletic plays every now and then but not much else.
    Last edited by jyra; 11-24-2014 at 10:57 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They gave up the 58th and 60th pick, so I wouldn't read too much into that trade.

He has been getting regular bench minutes so far both in the Adriatic League and Euroleague. His stats are pretty bad and in the few games I have seen, he didn't really show any NBA ready skills. I would say he is a bigger and younger Adam Hanga, some nice ahtletic plays every now and then but not much else.
    Thanks for the update. Do you think he'll be better than Hanga?

Also, he likely would've been available at #58, and the Spurs could've drafted an extra prospect at #60 if that were the case. So if the Spurs felt the need to trade up so they could draft him for sure, they must be somewhat high on him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think he'll be better than Hanga?

Also, he likely would've been available at #58, and the Spurs could've drafted an extra prospect at #60 if that were the case. So if the Spurs felt the need to trade up so they could draft him for sure, they must be somewhat high on him.
    I have no idea but with all the wings the Spurs have its going to be near impossible for him to sniff the roster.

I agree that there was probably no need to trade up for him, to me it looks like that trade was simply doing Philly a favor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    watched the game he had vs. Laboral (full video in the Bertans thread)

I think I like him. First though, I really doubt he's 6-8. Guy is like a Nando-size with poofy hair. Reminds me of Goran Dragic physically, maybe plus an inch.

He looked to me like he could hang in the NBA athletically, something that was a legit concern for Nando and other second rounders, for instance I still don't think Deshaun Thomas could keep up in the NBA.

And he had a nice all around game. Nothing earth-shattering. He wasn't the go-to guy. But he played some nice defense and fought on screens against the pick-and-roll and kept going, something Bertans has problems with. He never looked overmatched on defense. Looked to have a decent handle. Penetrated nicely. Hit a three. Steal for a dunk. Had a real, 'let the game come to him' kind of result.

Not bad. Not sad he wasn't brought over this year like Bertans, but I'd say there's some hope for him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not shooting that well in Euroleague, 39.5% from 2pt and 33% from 3pt ...

But I'm growing to really like this kid.

Here's the end of the 3rd and whole 4th against Alba Berlin

There's so much to like. The pull-up, sure, and the foul while trying to dunk a monster slam, and the moves to get there, awesome. But the versatility is great. There's some plays in the 4th where he's tasked to pick up the other point full court and harass him. Picks up one foul, but is pretty good otherwise. He has a very good versatility to him, taking the ball up himself to start a set, picking up and doing a good job on the other point guard on defense, solid defending the post.

I can see a very good player here as he gets his shooting up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it's safe to say, in a pinch, the spurs are better off turning to Williams. Dangubic can't hit shots in a 480 quality league. No reason to bet on him being better in the nba, with Pop and Chip, immediately, against other pinch minute players. Could the spurs send 3 players down to the dleague if they were eligible?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it's safe to say, in a pinch, the spurs are better off turning to Williams. Dangubic can't hit shots in a 480 quality league. No reason to bet on him being better in the nba, with Pop and Chip, immediately, against other pinch minute players. Could the spurs send 3 players down to the dleague if they were eligible?
    Ugh, dude. Dangubic can't hold William's jock offensively. Stop falling in love with scrubs.

Thread Information