Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw, Mills, and Baynes are most likely coming back. Add in Anderson. Pop has all the ammo he needs to fire off capable starting, bench, and mad scientist squads. As it should be. It's a championship team and not much change is necessary for a solid run at the ultimate prize. So the roster is basically full, but...

starters
    Duncan
    Diaw
    Leonard
    Green
    Parker

bench
    Splitter/Baynes
    Anderson/Ayers
    Manu
    Mills/Beli
    Cojo

Now i'd argue for an obvious Ayers trade and Daye guarantee, but that's hypothetical. What's real, is that bench aint missing much.

Why not just bring in Bertans and LJC already? Are they seriously not nba ready enough to go through SL and preseason for evaluation and experience? Would they face serious minutes outside of (knocks on wood) Manu injury, Anderson jitters? Should they even be facing serious minutes, domestic or abroad, with those knees? Do they not have more upside than Bonner and whatever "stall/filler" project fits behind Manu? Is it wise to leave them in Europe for "development" while the championship team in the best league, with the best coach, best trio of veteran leaders, best record of developing domestic "stall/filler" projects (Green, Neal, Mills, Baynes) competes for a championship that could spell the end of that "development rich" era? , how well has draft and stash (Manu, Splitter, Scola, Decolo, bunch of mispronounced and un-recalled names) actually even worked?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJC says they are expecting him to be on the roster by 15-16'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJC says they are expecting him to be on the roster by 15-16'.
    that's the outrage i'm ranting about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJC did tear his ACL, he was out for some time which has affected his development.

I'm not really a fan of Bertans, just way too skinny, might as well stick with Daye, not enough size to guard most SF's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJC did tear his ACL, he was out for some time which has affected his development.

I'm not really a fan of Bertans, just way too skinny, might as well stick with Daye, not enough size to guard most SF's.
    The difference between Bertans and Daye is that Bertans is much more versatile shooter. By that I mean he can shoot off screens, off the dribble, pull-up in transitions, and on spot-ups. Think of him as a 6'10" Kyle Korver.

Austin Daye is primarily just a spot-up shooter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus Christ dude, sometimes players just aren't ready. When things like ACL tears come up, the team wants to keep them in Europe to see how they respond and if they're still worth it. I'm sure the Spurs know if a player is ready to come over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The difference between Bertans and Daye is that Bertans is much more versatile shooter. By that I mean he can shoot off screens, off the dribble, pull-up in transitions, and on spot-ups. Think of him as a 6'10" Kyle Korver.

Daye is a fairly skilled passer as well and not bad handling the ball for his size. His lack of physicality hurts him on D but he is a similar 'slow mo' style player albeit without guard level skills to KA. I believe he can be effective in most situations for 12 -15 min a game

very true that Bertans appears to be much better moving without the ball and shooting off screens. keep them both if possible

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus Christ dude, sometimes players just aren't ready. When things like ACL tears come up, the team wants to keep them in Europe to see how they respond and if they're still worth it. I'm sure the Spurs know if a player is ready to come over.
    i think that's playing it too safe. the guys have nba talent, analysts put them on the radar. the players themselves have faith in their games, that's why they declared eligibility. "scared man can't gamble." the spurs gotta take a chance on these guys. draft and stash got his acl torn in the first place. And he wasn't alone. I think the spurs should grow a pair when it comes to these draft and stashers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think that's playing it too safe. the guys have nba talent, analysts put them on the radar. the players themselves have faith in their games, that's why they declared eligibility. "scared man can't gamble." the spurs gotta take a chance on these guys. draft and stash got his acl torn in the first place. And he wasn't alone. I think the spurs should grow a pair when it comes to these draft and stashers.
    The Spurs may not always have the financial flexibility much less the need for specific players until they have identified a need or weakness that needs to be upgraded through these players. Just because you are drafted, it does not mean that the Spurs are going to have use for you in their current plans. They draft players with the knowledge that they have "options" but these draft and stash players may never play a minute in a Spurs uniform. Look at what happened with Scola. Spurs drafted him but he didn't see a minute with the Spurs and he was an NBA caliber prospect. Just cir stances dictate which players you are going to roll with. Right now the Spurs don't see any reason to "rock the boat".

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw, Mills, and Baynes are most likely coming back. Add in Anderson. Pop has all the ammo he needs to fire off capable starting, bench, and mad scientist squads. As it should be. It's a championship team and not much change is necessary for a solid run at the ultimate prize. So the roster is basically full, but...

starters
    Duncan
    Diaw
    Leonard
    Green
    Parker

bench
    Splitter/Baynes
    Anderson/Ayers
    Manu
    Mills/Beli
    Cojo

Now i'd argue for an obvious Ayers trade and Daye guarantee, but that's hypothetical. What's real, is that bench aint missing much.

Why not just bring in Bertans and LJC already? Are they seriously not nba ready enough to go through SL and preseason for evaluation and experience? Would they face serious minutes outside of (knocks on wood) Manu injury, Anderson jitters? Should they even be facing serious minutes, domestic or abroad, with those knees? Do they not have more upside than Bonner and whatever "stall/filler" project fits behind Manu? Is it wise to leave them in Europe for "development" while the championship team in the best league, with the best coach, best trio of veteran leaders, best record of developing domestic "stall/filler" projects (Green, Neal, Mills, Baynes) competes for a championship that could spell the end of that "development rich" era? , how well has draft and stash (Manu, Splitter, Scola, Decolo, bunch of mispronounced and un-recalled names) actually even worked?
    Wow have you not been reading, Tony already said Jean-Charles will be staying in Europe until next year. Easy for people to push for an Ayres trade though Pop always almost never trades players he's familiar with. You can always push for Daye, but he's wire thin compared to Bonner. He'll get absolutely crushed on the defensive end if he were to be a stretch four. Easy for you to say he can bulk up, but it hasn't happened this summer at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Haven't even seen Bertans play at an NBA level. Looks like he'll get crushed by athletic small forwards or bowling ball shooting guards.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let the guys develop in Europe instead of in Austin. Keeps them under the team's control at very cheap costs for much longer too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that's time to spend the MLE. The number of good players for a team like us, that needs most of his stars to rest, expecially during the rs, is never too high. The point is who's the best player available on the market at that price that can fit our style. Last year we spent it for Marco and Ayres, today we could have the luxury to spend it all on just one player...without going in the lux-tax territory.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree OP. I think it's BS that we leave these players over in Europe to 'develop'. What were really waiting for is roster spots to come open--and some should be open now, so we should bring them over.

The only thing that happens when these guys play in Europe is they get hurt (Bertans and LJC both tore their ACL's in the past year) and they play against inferior compe ion, which is doing everything BUT prepare them for the NBA.

Bring em over. Bring em over now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, it appears as though they'd rather keep Daye around than bring somebody over

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow have you not been reading, Tony already said Jean-Charles will be staying in Europe until next year. Easy for people to push for an Ayres trade though Pop always almost never trades players he's familiar with. You can always push for Daye, but he's wire thin compared to Bonner. He'll get absolutely crushed on the defensive end if he were to be a stretch four. Easy for you to say he can bulk up, but it hasn't happened this summer at all.
    I have been reading, are you? I'm not saying he is coming. I'm saying he should be, along with Bertans. I'm rallying against draft and stash. And i think i made clear why.

"Will get crushed" and "just aren't ready" are popsuckin gibberish. I get it. The spurs get a lot right. They're champions, and they have some success with draft and stash. But i think there should be a stronger anti-draft and stash sentiment by now. We've seen Decolo fizzle out and so many injuries. Why are we ok with promising young talent abroad while we debate the value of keeping Daye vs re-signing Bonner, or having a spot open so we can sign 10 day contract guys?

If they don't want to come over it's one thing to wait them out. Leaving them over though, willfully against their wishes to play in the NBA. That's seems more like stunting growth than nurturing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't even seen Bertans play at an NBA level. Looks like he'll get crushed by athletic small forwards or bowling ball shooting guards.
    What's your indication of that? I'm not saying Bertans will thrive in the NBA, but there's nothing that says he couldn't be serviceable other than a couple of amateur scouting reports.

But either way, Bertans is still a much more talented shooter than Daye is. Daye couldn't even make an off-screen jumper in the freaking D-League, the most impressive shots he made were a couple of post-plays and drives that he could never pull off in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree OP. I think it's BS that we leave these players over in Europe to 'develop'. What were really waiting for is roster spots to come open--and some should be open now, so we should bring them over.

The only thing that happens when these guys play in Europe is they get hurt (Bertans and LJC both tore their ACL's in the past year) and they play against inferior compe ion, which is doing everything BUT prepare them for the NBA.

Bring em over. Bring em over now.
    Thanks, Pro!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's your indication of that? I'm not saying Bertans will thrive in the NBA, but there's nothing that says he couldn't be serviceable other than a couple of amateur scouting reports.

But either way, Bertans is still a much more talented shooter than Daye is. Daye couldn't even make an off-screen jumper in the freaking D-League, the most impressive shots he made were a couple of post-plays and drives that he could never pull off in the NBA.
    Same way you argue Bertans seems like Korver. Did you base that off amateur scouting reports too?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same way you argue Bertans seems like Korver. Did you base that off amateur scouting reports too?
    Define amateur. If sites such as DraftExpress or Draft.Net qualify as amateur, then sure. But there's a fine line between comparing a play-style and flat out predicting how a player's career will turn out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans is so much better then Daye I see no reason to keep Daye over Bertans none at all.

As far as LVJ I can understand he just had major knee surgery so I would wait for him to heal up and have a year of getting better. Also he plays for Parkers team so I know they won't jack around with his injury and also will coach him up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either way, the argument proves my point. The spurs need to bring him over and play him!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been reading, are you? I'm not saying he is coming. I'm saying he should be, along with Bertans. I'm rallying against draft and stash. And i think i made clear why.

"Will get crushed" and "just aren't ready" are popsuckin gibberish. I get it. The spurs get a lot right. They're champions, and they have some success with draft and stash. But i think there should be a stronger anti-draft and stash sentiment by now. We've seen Decolo fizzle out and so many injuries. Why are we ok with promising young talent abroad while we debate the value of keeping Daye vs re-signing Bonner, or having a spot open so we can sign 10 day contract guys?

If they don't want to come over it's one thing to wait them out. Leaving them over though, willfully against their wishes to play in the NBA. That's seems more like stunting growth than nurturing it.
    Because draft and stash players actually get to play in Europe. Bring them here and let them fill out a roster spot...just to play five minutes a night? To say they get injured while citing Bertans and Jean-Charles is anecdotal evidence. That's simply taking a small sample size to bolster your argument. How about Adam Hanga or DeShaun Thomas? Robertas Javtokas or Sergei Karaulov? The Thunder have good draft and stash players in Tbor Pleiss and Alex Abrines and both have been doing fairly well.

I'm not sure I can say this for Daye but definitely for Bonner: his experience is valuable. It takes a year or two to get acclimated to Pop's system, and the window is closing for Duncan and company. It would be wiser to keep veterans who keep the wheels running than bring in someone with little to no knowledge of the system.

Regarding your argument on their knees, the Spurs brought both forwards over last summer to have them evaluated. If they can't play abroad, what makes you think their knees are in good enough shape to withstand the rigor of an 82-game NBA schedule? By average, a second round pick yields value only 24 percent of the time; it would be absurd to expect tremendous value from players like Bertans.
    Last edited by FireMicoHalili; 06-30-2014 at 07:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either way, the argument proves my point. The spurs need to bring him over and play him!
    Prime Time and Firemicohalili

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Define amateur. If sites such as DraftExpress or Draft.Net qualify as amateur, then sure. But there's a fine line between comparing a play-style and flat out predicting how a player's career will turn out.
    DX says best case is Mike Dunleavy, worst case is Steve Novak. To think he'd end up as Korver/Dunleavy is having tunnel vision; that would be ignoring his propensity to become a Novak, which isn't half bad, but terrible defensively.

To quote DX, since you're so keen on citing them: "Part of this will come with added strength, as he has a very narrow frame that makes it difficult for him to play through contact at the moment. This makes sense considering that he grew almost eight inches (20 centimeters) over the last two years, according to what he told us, so he's obviously still growing into his new dimensions. It will be important for him to continue to refine his shot-creating ability so he doesn't get labeled as a one dimensional prospect down the road"

NBADraft.net: Foot speed is below average by NBA standards ... Needs to add weight ... Only weighs 211 pounds, which makes him quite thin for either forward position... Doesn't stand out as a rebounder or defender.

Guess who NBaDraft.net compared Bertans to? Kyle Korver AND Austin Daye. Yikes.

Thread Information