Page 37 of 120 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Diaw is worth 9-10 million.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very good signing for the clippers, they had zero bigs off the bench.

Re: diaw, I would have no problem paying him up to 10 or even 11 next year if there's a team option on year two or an unguaranteed second year. Heck, give him 12, just don't get stuck with an unmotivated Diaw making 7+ on a rebuilding team that doesn't have the big three.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where have you guys been? Boris Diaw looking for 2 years and 18-20M was already mentioned in another thread a couple of days ago. Wasn't sure how true it was though. It looks like that's what he wants.

If Tiago is making around 9M, why would Diaw want less?

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where have you guys been? Boris Diaw looking for 2 years and 18-20M was already mentioned in another thread a couple of days ago. Wasn't sure how true it was though. It looks like that's what he wants.

Makes sense to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IDK about Hawes. He's technically a floor stretching 5 but he's been on terrible teams his entire career and his numbers on those terrible teams aren't even good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why is everyone bringing up Splitters contract? Tiago is every bit as important to the Spurs as Boris. Diaw wouldn't get to dominate teams like Oklahoma City if Tiago didn't get us past Dallas and Portland with his excellent defence on Nowitzki and Aldridge.

If anything, I think Tiago is more valuable because both are situational role players who excel against different teams, but Tiago takes around 700 of Duncans regular season minutes which allows he to play at a high level come June.

Not to mention the reason Splitter got that contract is because someone else was willing to pay that much. Diaw will have no such suitors.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is everyone bringing up Splitters contract? Tiago is every bit as important to the Spurs as Boris. Diaw wouldn't get to dominate teams like Oklahoma City if Tiago didn't get us past Dallas and Portland with his excellent defence on Nowitzki and Aldridge.

If anything, I think Tiago is more valuable because both are situational role players who excel against different teams, but Tiago takes around 700 of Duncans regular season minutes which allows he to play at a high level come June.

Not to mention the reason Splitter got that contract is because someone else was willing to pay that much. Diaw will have no such suitors.
    Didn't say Splitter wasn't important, but I don't see how you can say Diaw isn't as important as Splitter. It seems like you're trying to spin it and say he isn't. 6M isn't much for what Diaw did in the playoffs. If he had better stats, he could have been close to finals MVP. Splitter wasn't anywhere close to those levels. Diaw was huge in the biggest games in the playoffs. Road games against OKC and Miami. You can't seriously tell me that he wasn't as important as Splitter.

I think the minimum for him should be starting at 8M per season. If he signs for anything less, then I think he'd be doing to Spurs a favor. Unless the Spurs have some sort of plan for other free agents that they outline with Boris beforehand, and they can sell him on taking less for that plan to happen, I don't see why Boris would take less money. Not sure if you can even do anything like that though with the cap situation. Maybe someone else can chime in. Would we have anymore cap space than the MLE if Boris takes less?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People don't understand that even decent centers get big bucks $$$$ ....Diaw is not a center......

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If some enterprising media member would ask Hawes about personal freedom and liberty with regards to Donald Sterling being forced to sell, I think there would be a possibility of something newsworthy happening.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where have you guys been? Boris Diaw looking for 2 years and 18-20M was already mentioned in another thread a couple of days ago. Wasn't sure how true it was though. It looks like that's what he wants.If Tiago is making around 9M, why would Diaw want less?
    Yes what fools we were for not paying credence to that unsubstantiated rumor!Diaw will get 3 for 20 and be happy with it!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't say Splitter wasn't important, but I don't see how you can say Diaw isn't as important as Splitter. It seems like you're trying to spin it and say he isn't. 6M isn't much for what Diaw did in the playoffs. If he had better stats, he could have been close to finals MVP. Splitter wasn't anywhere close to those levels. Diaw was huge in the biggest games in the playoffs. Road games against OKC and Miami. You can't seriously tell me that he wasn't as important as Splitter.
    I don't think Diaw is less valuable than Splitter, but I disagree with your assessment of the playoffs. Splitter was probably the MVP of the Dallas series, without him we probably get bounced in the first round. It just happens that Tiagos situational effectiveness came in the first and second rounds, and Diaws came in the Conference Finals and the Finals. It may sound strange, but I don't think the Conf. Finals and Finals were 'bigger' games for Diaw than Dallas and Portland were for Tiago.

I agree Diaw could have been Finals MVP, but that's just because of the opponent. If (hypothetically) the Dallas series was the Finals, Splitter could have been MVP.

I think the minimum for him should be starting at 8M per season. If he signs for anything less, then I think he'd be doing to Spurs a favor. Unless the Spurs have some sort of plan for other free agents that they outline with Boris beforehand, and they can sell him on taking less for that plan to happen, I don't see why Boris would take less money. Not sure if you can even do anything like that though with the cap situation. Maybe someone else can chime in. Would we have anymore cap space than the MLE if Boris takes less?
    It's not about this year, it's about next years cap space. If Boris takes $9m as opposed to $5m, we are out of the running already for any top free agent next year. I also think the MLE is a good level for Boris simply because nobody else would pay him more, and as such $8m-$10m would be a massive overpay. No lottery team will want him because of his troubles in the past on bad teams and no contender has more than the MLE.

After writing my original post I had a think whether I actually really believed it, and I can honestly say if I could only keep one player between Splitter and Diaw, I'd keep Splitter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes what fools we were for not paying credence to that unsubstantiated rumor!Diaw will get 3 for 20 and be happy with it!
    I would love to see what you guys do if your bosses offer you less money than other people that aren't anywhere near as good as you.

Most of you are a bunch of lowballers.

The only other reason to offer less might be for cap space next season, or the season after, but again, they'd have to outline some sort of plan with him if they're going to sell him on taking less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Diaw is worth 9-10 million.
    I agree. 3 years, $20MM is sort of what I've been expecting. Probably structured like Spitter's with a declining salary. Or maybe a 3rd year option, which then couldn't be less than the 2nd year.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IDK about Hawes. He's technically a floor stretching 5 but he's been on terrible teams his entire career and his numbers on those terrible teams aren't even good.
    You clearly don't have a fantasy league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What people dont get is: for this season perfomance Diaw deserved 8-10 mil/yr, but will he be able to perform as good in the next 2-3 seasons? If u pay him that much u are assuming that he will, and i am not sure if Diaw can do it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the main reason to me. And that Splitter seems a little more consistent since sometimes Diaw is too passive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love to see what you guys do if your bosses offer you less money than other people that aren't anywhere near as good as you.
    It's not about how good you are, how good others are or how much they are getting paid. It's about a market value, and Diaw isn't getting any more than MLE from any other contender, even though in a vacuum you're right and he is worth more. I'm not even sure how many legit contenders even have the MLE to spend considering Miami will be using it's cap space, Portland and Clippers just spent theirs, the full MLE would put both OKC and Indiana over the tax which neither may want to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People overrate the out of Diaw. He was pretty bad on defense in each playoff round. It's not his fault against James, Dirk and Aldridge, but Caron Butler torched him for goodness sake. Splitter saves the Spurs defensively more than people can possibly understand (apparently).

Obviously, Boris is the best all-around offensive player on the team, a top-five in the league, really. When he plays to his potential, the Spurs are unbeatable on offense. But without Splitter, there would have been no Finals or WCF in which Diaw could have exploded. Give Boris his money, but don't think he should be seen as a bigger piece than Splitter.

On Hawes, he's awesome as a third big because he's an ultra-rare stretch-five. He can play with both Griffin and Jordan while allowing each to play in their comfort zones. Of course, such a move doesn't put them over the Spurs at all, but it does inch them closer to OKC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People overrate the out of Diaw. He was pretty bad on defense in each playoff round. It's not his fault against James, Dirk and Aldridge, but Caron Butler torched him for goodness sake. Splitter saves the Spurs defensively more than people can possibly understand (apparently).

Obviously, Boris is the best all-around offensive player on the team, a top-five in the league, really. When he plays to his potential, the Spurs are unbeatable on offense. But without Splitter, there would have been no Finals or WCF in which Diaw could have exploded. Give Boris his money, but don't think he should be seen as a bigger piece than Splitter.

On Hawes, he's awesome as a third big because he's an ultra-rare stretch-five. He can play with both Griffin and Jordan while allowing each to play in their comfort zones. Of course, such a move doesn't put them over the Spurs at all, but it does inch them closer to OKC.
    After watching Splitter defend and limit 2 of The best big men shooters(dirk/aldridge) in the league, I have to agree. Miami isn't really his series, but Splitter is just more valuable to a team. Diaw put the Spurs over the top though with his superb passing and offensive skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitter is the one who is overrated... Bosh torched him like no other player was torched in that run... Vs Aldridge Diaw actually did pretty well, he was much better than Splitter at times... Diaw also hit the biggest shot of the Dallas series, his run s on Splitter's, it's not even in the same ballpark.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good addition by the Clips. If they can work in a S&T to keep the exception, that would be awesome for them. They could land both Hawes and Pierce.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is bad in d

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love Williams for the MLE, but obviously with those other teams in the mix the Spurs aren't likely real contenders to get him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, good signing for the Clippers.

There offense is going to be ridiculous next season.

Thread Information